Volunteer projects in Guatemala

Do Guatemala offers volunteer opportunities throughout Guatemala. We work with local projects which are active in improving Guatemala´s standard of living.

Volunteers can involve in project areas like education, child care, medical clinics, elderly people, animal rescue, ecotourism and agriculture and more!

We support the local projects with a donation that we send with each volunteer, to stimulate local development. Volunteer opportunities are available in Antigua, Quetzaltenango (Xela), Lake Atitlan, the Pacific Coast and even in Peten!

Olafur

Spanish lessons, volunteering & travelling

My volunteering experience was amazing! I really enjoyed my stay in Guatemala and I would without a doubt recommend it to anyone who likes travelling and to experience new things! For me, it was surprising that everyone is so polite and happy, even though they often have little to no money. I liked the cultural experience and learning the language.
Understanding the people and communicating especially in the beginning was hard for me, as my Spanish was not good at first. However, due to the Spanish classes I took in the first few weeks, it got a lot better! The classes were fun and the teacher seemed experienced. Also, apart from just lessons, we did some activities and walked around in the city as well!

The support from Do Guatemala was really good and professional. The Do Guatemala staff was always easy to contact and every problem got solved right away! I switched host families once within Xela, which was organized by Do Guatemala in no time. Therefore I would say that if you would like to change, be open about it towards the staff, and they will definitely help you. I really liked all three families I stayed with, but in my opinion some were better than others. The meals were mostly big enough or even too big, and the food was good for the families I stayed with in Xela. The family in Antigua sometimes didn’t give a lot to eat and the same food over and over again. However, after I addressed this to Do Guatemala they talked to the guest family right away to improve the situation for future guests.
The day I went to see the Xela football game in the stadium with my guest family is a very good memory! I really enjoyed staying here and I am glad I chose to organize it with Do Guatemala. Thanks a lot!

About Do Guatemala

Do Guatemala is a unique travel and volunteer agency. We are located in Guatemala, and the office is run by Guatemalan/Dutch owners. Do Guatemala offers volunteer opportunities throughout Guatemala. We work with local projects which are active in...