Vida Medical, Dental & Veterinary Programs in Guatemala

Join Vida in Guatemala as a volunteer in their field clinics! Experience the culture and history of Guatemala, its beautiful mountains and gorgeous southern coast! Vida Programs in Guatemala are typically 1-2 weeks in length.

Participants in the medical programs will gain experience working with patients while learning basic medical examination techniques. Volunteers will work alongside a staff of licensed doctors to provide communities with the services they need. Volunteering with Vida will give you a chance to learn more about public health and experience the rich culture of Guatemala.

There are also opportunities for volunteers interested in dentistry to help facilitate mobile dental clinics. Volunteers can shadow experienced dentists. Depending on their level of experience and education in dentistry, volunteers may even have the opportunity to perform procedures under the supervision of mentors.

Visit the Vida website to learn more!

Katie

Vida vet trip to Guatemala

Had an amazing time with my friends. Brought us together As a medical and surgical team. Improved my physical exam skills. Learned about a lot of diseases that we may not see commonly in a US veterinary clinic. Learned how to communicate in a language I was not familiar with Really opened my eyes to pet care in a third world country. Earned a grant from UW Wisconsin for our work in educating these children on how to take care of an animal. Wish I could have gained more surgical skills. I would love to go back in the future as a veterinarian, and Teacher. This won't let me leave a review unless it's 200 characters, which I find really really unfair. Because I have some good things to say about the program. Am I at 200 characters yet?

John

Worthwhile, Eye opening

We travelled to many different towns and villages. Clinics were about 8-9 hours a day, but the patients made time fly. The doctors were knowledgable and loved to teach. Side trips were great too. Cliff diving in Lake Atitlan, zip lining, etc.

Shelly

Guatemala!!

I've been doing VIDA trips for 5 years now.. This has been my fourth trip, and my first in Guatemala... all I can say is it was amazing! We had our homestays in Ixtahuacan for only 2 nights, and I wish we could have stayed longer. We also visited Panajachel and Antigua. The country is breathtaking, the people are extremely nice and hospitable, the shopping opportunities are endlessly filled with beautiful textiles, the food is delicious, and the program was fantastic.

I wish the homestays in Ixtahuacan were longer!
Elizabeth

Simply amazing!

I've been on two VIDA veterinary trips--last year in Costa Rica and this year in Guatemala--and I have to say that this year was even better than last year! The areas that we went were spectacular and had enough patients to keep us busy, while the recreational days were beyond amazing. Can't wait to go next year!

I would like to have even more patients than we had this year. Towards the end of every day, most of us were just sitting around with nothing to do.
Logan

VIDA will take you on an amazing adventure!

I am a pre-med student who went to Guatemala with the VIDA med team. We had six clinic days and several adventure days. Clinic days consisted of 8-hour clinics where we analyzed patients' concerns, history, symptoms, etc. and then worked directly with the doctors to diagnose and treat their conditions. On the adventure days we did things like tour the lake, cliff jump, zip line, and other things that I wouldn't have been able to do on my own. We always stayed in very nice hotels in somewhat touristic areas that were safe to explore. We always had to be with at least one other person, but we were frequently given free time to explore the area, go to bars and restaurants, dance clubs, etc. Overall it was an amazing experience. Very safe and definitely worth the money. All the fun of discvering a new culture in a beautiful country plus the experience of providing medical care and the joy of helping people in need.

Sometimes the patients would have to wait a long time because there were only two doctors. They were always very thorough and made sure that we and the patient understood everything. These are all good things but they make the process slower, so they should have at least one more doctor at each clinic site. Homestays would have been a very interesting experience also, but these have not been set up in Guatemala yet as they have been in some of the other countries in which VIDA operates.
Anna

Guatemala

Got to do everything a vet would do on a daily basis with their supervision so it was both a challenging yet amazing experience. I learned so much and got to spend time in the country that I love.

If possible, more clinic days. That was by far my favorite part
Michelle

Great Experience for Possible Med Students

It was amazing to meet such a welcoming staff with the programs and meetings set up so that the participating students are prepared for the clinic days. The clinic days are also a great opportunity for students to both experience hands-on medical work as well as learn in detail how to diagnose patients. Clinic days are mixed in with recreational days for participants to explore the country as a group.

Megan

VIDA Medical, Dental, and Veterinary Programs in Guatemala

I would recommend this trip for any pre-health student because of the opportunities you can explore. I was involved in the Veterinary program and I can honestly say it was the most eye-opening experiences of my life. I was able to personally help with surgeries and do consults for many dogs and cats. I have no idea where else you'll be able to be so involved and learn the amount of information I did in only two weeks. It was a life-changing experience for me and I want more than everything to go on another VIDA trip. You'll also form close friendships with your fellow trip members because you share a common purpose and I can guarantee you'll absolutely not want to leave!

While in Guatemala I don't think I would change anything. I wish that we had been given more information prior to the trip though.
Jaime

Awesome

Doctors challenged us to think critically in solving problems as well as allowed us to do many hands-on things that enhanced our learning experience. The ability to diagnose patients helped us learn the uses of different medicines and how they impacted people in different situations based on pregnancy status, age and other medical issues.

Clemsonstudent2013

Ineffable Experience

There are no words to describe how positive an impact this VIDA trip had on myself and the poor communities in Guatemala. The six clinic days were the most rewarding days I've ever experienced in my entire life. One lady walked two hours up a mountain just to get her teeth cleaned because she couldn't afford a dentist. Another man had a blood sugar level of 28, which is extremely high and I didn't know someone could function at this level. Unfortunately he couldn't afford medicine so he was so thankful that we could provide a free referral for him. We experienced tuberculous, Down's syndrome, fractures, and Lupus. There were a lot of common cold cases but no matter the specific case, the hands on patient experience (2 or 3 students with an interpreter and patient) was incredible. It confirmed by beliefs that I want to be a nurse practitioner. The non clinic days were fun too. We did ziplining, a boat tour, and got a explore Antigua which was beautiful. This trip was definitely worth all the money and time put into it.

Do not do a boat tour of the lake near Panajachel. It was a waste of a day. Instead let us hike a volcano or make chocolate in the chocolate factory in Antigua.
Katherine

GO ON A VIDA TRIP!

This was honestly the best two weeks of my life. You get so much patient interaction and form close relationships with medical doctors from which you learn a LOT. You also get to see gorgeous parts of Guatemala and experience lots of different aspects of the culture. All of the staff was awesome and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I would change the town our free day was in to Panajachel since there's a lake there!
Tina

Life Changing Opportunity

Interacting with the locals and making new friends were wonderful. You walk away with the irreplaceable feeling that you have helped someone, no matter how small the difference. This is the first time I've ever been out of the country and I can't wait to leave again, hopefully on another VIDA trip.

Gwhatsup.

Life Changing

I was so worried to travel down to Central America and I thought I was getting myself into something I would regret, but as we progressed into the trip in Guatemala, I realized this is something I want to do again. I enjoyed spending time in the clinic helping all of the people that came to get dental help. I liked how the dentists I shadowed wanted to teach me something while I watched what they did. I learned more from the 4 clinic days than I did by shadowing dentists here in the USA. The friendships I made on the trip were strengthened by the experiences that we endured together. Not everything on this trip was perfect, as 8 of my travelers got Salmonella, but this experience makes you realize that there is a whole world out there to be discovered. I am happy to have helped the people I helped. I really feel like I made a difference in their lives because VIDA gave me a chance to interact with them and learn about their lives. This trip has ignited the flame in me to really work hard to get into Dental School so that I may help others in this world.

More time for interaction with the people and children that come to the clinic, I never got to really hang out with them.
Have places to eat in mind for us, rather than just have us walk around and find a place.
cynthiakay

Wonderful!

I had a terrific time on this trip. I learned so much, not only about patient interaction, but about disease and medicine itself. The staff was patient, knowing that each student was at a different level in their education, and always teaching with every opportunity. I felt safe, but not smothered by the trip leader. Every problem that happened on the trip was handled wonderfully by the leader. Activities were planned during our time off so we weren't wandering aimlessly, but free time was also given.

More time to get to know the staff outside of clinics would have been nice.
SarahElizabeth

Not What I Expected

I went to Guatemala not expecting much, but what I experienced while I was there was beyond anything I could have imagined. The VIDA staff was wonderful and all of the people that went on the trip were amazing. I arrived there not knowing any of the other volunteers personally and we all left as good friends. I would go on this trip again tomorrow if I could.

About Vida Volunteer

Volunteer abroad with Vida in Central America! With Vida, you have the opportunity to gain experience in three main fields: medicine, dental health, and veterinary medicine. As a volunteer with Vida, you will work with local professionals in these...