Women and Girls' Empowerment in Rajasthan, India

A non-profit organization in Rajasthan, India aims to support self-esteem, financial independence, education as well as professional competency to disadvantaged women and girls in Rajasthan. The organization puts its main focus on the women of the Dalit communities who face discrimination based on their caste, their economic situation, and their gender.
Volunteers are of great importance to the NGO to ensure the smooth running of their programs. Possible activities at the project are usually 2 programs combined:
* Teaching at Empowerment Centers in Jodhpur: in these centers, girls & women get an education in Hindi, English, Maths as well as handcraft skills.
* "No Bad Touch" Prevention Program aims to create awareness on child sexual abuse.
* Boarding Home: Volunteers can help with homework and providing leisure time activities for girls in a Boarding Home run by the NGO.
* Sewing Center: The NGO runs a sewing center where women & girls can obtain skills in sewing & handcraft.

• Connect with women and girls from different backgrounds to share different experiences!
  • Contribute your skills to empowering the women and girls of the NGO community.
  • Participate in creative activities such as design, sewing, arts and crafts that further generate income for the project.
  • Explore neighboring cities and surroundings while immersing yourself in the culture of your host country!

Impact

By volunteering in this project you can contribute to the empowerment of women who experience discrimination based on their caste, their economic situation and their gender. Due to traditional gender roles and religious customs, many women and girls in India have little or no access to education and income, making poverty and persecution for them a fact of life. Girls from poor families often don't attend school as they have to help with housework, have to assist with the care for younger siblings, or with generating the family income, particularly when there is no school nearby. As a volunteer in this program, you will help to povide a safe space for learning, developing self-esteem, personal growth and overall, having fun together!

Clean climate footprint when travelling with World Unite!

Did you know that for the CO2 compensation of your long-haul flights we are planting 10 indigenous trees on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania for each participant of our worldwide programs? These trees during their life will absorb around 10 times the amount of CO2 emitted by your flights. Per year we are planting around 20,000 trees on deforested land of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Marianne

Internship Woman and Girls Empowerment Center

For four weeks I worked at the Jodhpur Empowerment Center and taught basic English and math. There were three groups each: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. My job was to prepare and deliver the lessons according to the different learning levels. Once a week there were workshops on various topics, for example to get to know other countries and cultures, but also to address issues such as health, children’s rights, hygiene, violence, etc.

It was wonderful to see how the women and children like to visit these centers. I could really feel how much joy they had in exchanging ideas with each other and learning and sewing. For many, it was a way to escape from their daily problems at home and forget their hardships for a while.

It was a great experience and I would definitely recommend this Program!

India is a country of contrasts with a very rich culture. It is therefore important to be aware of these differences in advance to avoid misunderstandings and cultural shocks. If you are well prepared, nothing can go wrong.
Juliette

Exploring your potential in a trusting community

I have been volunteering at Sambhali for two months now and I experience enriching, interpersonal drvelopments almost every day.I am volunteering in Jodhpur at the Durag Niwas Guesthouse. The food and accomodation has a very high standard and it's good living together with other volunteers for practical and emotional support. In the mornings I have been helping out as an admin and in the afternoon I teach English at the Sambhali Boarding Homes. I find it very interesting to get to know the personal background of the Boarding Home girls. Teaching was and still is quite of a challenge as the girls are used to another learning culture.Nevertheless, the experience is very authentic and enriching. Although the life style here may seem strange and perhaps slower than at home, you will enjoy it and become extremely adaptable a personal goal that may come in handy later.

Don't necessarily expect your own teaching standards. The girls are first generation learners and need to adapt to simple reading and writing. Every lesson is a good lesson. You are taking them seriously by doing this.
Roxanne

An experience that has changed my life

I was volunteering at Sambhali Trust for one year and it was the best year in my life so far. All people at the NGO welcomed me with open arms and tried their best to make my stay as perfect as possible. In the mornings, I went to one of the Women Empowerment Centers and taught English, Maths and general knowledge to girls and women from the neighbourhood. After lunch at the Durag Niwas Guesthouse, the Sambhali van dropped me at one of the two Boarding Homes. Over there, I helped young girls from desert villages around Jodhpur with their homework. In addition to that, we played games, read stories and danced whenever we had more time. I left Germany with one family and came back with so many new brothers, sisters and more. Jodhpur is my second home now and I could not imagine my life without it, Sambhali and all the people anymore. I am so grateful and thankful for this opportunity and the work Sambhali does!

For people who want to come to Sambhali, please consider that you are not there to change the whole system or anything else. You need to be open minded and respectful. When you don't expect anything, your stay here will be the most enriching experience.