World Unite! Volunteering & Internships in India

Our locations in India include Navi Mumbai, Cochin (Kerala), Jodhpur (Rajasthan), New Delhi and Gurgaon, and various locations in the Himalaya mountains.

At most locations we offer plenty of options, including:

* Social Work for street children and persons with disabilities
* Medicine, Nursing & Health Care at hospitals and charitable medical facilities
* Education / Teaching at schools and nurseries
* Business Development
* Finances
* IT
* Architecture

You can also combine options at different locations and get to know the immense cultural variety within the Indian sub-continent. Contact us to plan your volunteering or internship time in India with you. We always try to make sure your skills and interests are best utilized.

• Women & Girls: Empowerment in Rajasthan: promote self-esteem, financial independence, education as well as professional and social competencies to disadvantaged women and girls from Dalit Communities
  • Medicine: Gain practical experience for your studies in nursing/medicine by interning in a local hospital or support charitable medical projects as a professional volunteer
  • Animal Rescue: Support a local nonprofit organization from Jaipur that operates a helpline phone number for animal rescue and is additionally active in the field of education about animal cruelty and animal welfare
  • Graphic Design & Media: Broaden your skills in graphic design, layouting, webdesign, and media content creation
  • Architecture: Intern at a leading architectural company in Navi Mumbai and gain experience in architecture, interior design, 3D visualisation, civil engineering, and communications (PR/media).

Carin

Support laughing children in desert village for better future

Sambhali Trust supported over more than 12 years underprivileged women and children in Rajasthan for a better future with teaching them English, Math and several workshops. Many projects in Jodphur are running very well.
In the rural area at Setrawa - a village in the desert Thar - a new project started. Our Volunteers give support to the government schools with teaching English at primary schools. This is very interesting, because we have an absolutely near contact to the local teachers and the residents of this area. I´m very glad to join the beginning of this project!

The first days of Volunteering were full of deeply impressions. The children have no chairs and tables at school and even less materials. We are teaching on board and training with speaking dialogues and learning games. On Wednesday we prepare special workshops with topics like "Environment" or "Feeling good in our body and our mind".
I´m so deeply moved by the attention of these children and their will to learn. They are so lovely and joyful. Even their laughing I can hear in my mind by preparing the next lesson at evening - when sitting together in our Volunteer-Team under beautiful stars.

It's a new project and we are finding our way step by step together with Govind - the founder of Sambhali Trust.
Read my full story
Marianne

Internship Woman and Girls Empowerment Center

For four weeks I worked at the Jodhpur Empowerment Center and taught basic English and math. There were three groups each: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. My job was to prepare and deliver the lessons according to the different learning levels. Once a week there were workshops on various topics, for example to get to know other countries and cultures, but also to address issues such as health, children’s rights, hygiene, violence, etc.

It was wonderful to see how the women and children like to visit these centers. I could really feel how much joy they had in exchanging ideas with each other and learning and sewing. For many, it was a way to escape from their daily problems at home and forget their hardships for a while.

It was a great experience and I would definitely recommend this Program!

India is a country of contrasts with a very rich culture. It is therefore important to be aware of these differences in advance to avoid misunderstandings and cultural shocks. If you are well prepared, nothing can go wrong.
Juliette

Exploring your potential in a trusting community

I have been volunteering at Sambhali for two months now and I experience enriching, interpersonal drvelopments almost every day.I am volunteering in Jodhpur at the Durag Niwas Guesthouse. The food and accomodation has a very high standard and it's good living together with other volunteers for practical and emotional support. In the mornings I have been helping out as an admin and in the afternoon I teach English at the Sambhali Boarding Homes. I find it very interesting to get to know the personal background of the Boarding Home girls. Teaching was and still is quite of a challenge as the girls are used to another learning culture.Nevertheless, the experience is very authentic and enriching. Although the life style here may seem strange and perhaps slower than at home, you will enjoy it and become extremely adaptable a personal goal that may come in handy later.

Don't necessarily expect your own teaching standards. The girls are first generation learners and need to adapt to simple reading and writing. Every lesson is a good lesson. You are taking them seriously by doing this.
Roxanne

An experience that has changed my life

I was volunteering at Sambhali Trust for one year and it was the best year in my life so far. All people at the NGO welcomed me with open arms and tried their best to make my stay as perfect as possible. In the mornings, I went to one of the Women Empowerment Centers and taught English, Maths and general knowledge to girls and women from the neighbourhood. After lunch at the Durag Niwas Guesthouse, the Sambhali van dropped me at one of the two Boarding Homes. Over there, I helped young girls from desert villages around Jodhpur with their homework. In addition to that, we played games, read stories and danced whenever we had more time. I left Germany with one family and came back with so many new brothers, sisters and more. Jodhpur is my second home now and I could not imagine my life without it, Sambhali and all the people anymore. I am so grateful and thankful for this opportunity and the work Sambhali does!

For people who want to come to Sambhali, please consider that you are not there to change the whole system or anything else. You need to be open minded and respectful. When you don't expect anything, your stay here will be the most enriching experience.