TALMA: The Israel Program For Excellence in English

TALMA: The Israel Program For Excellence in English

TALMA is an all-expense-paid summer of teaching, professional development, and networking in Israel for young professional educators aged 21-36. Each summer we bring more than one hundred teachers around the world for an unforgettable experience teaching English to low-income students within Israel, from Nazareth Illit and Migdal HaEmek in the North, to Jerusalem in the heart of Israel, Mitzpe Ramon in the South, and more. Meet like-minded educators who firmly believe in social equality, and that all children deserve access to an excellent education. If you are looking for an opportunity to spend your summer in a meaningful way, give back to Israel, and join what can only be called a transformative community, then TALMA is the experience for you!

Asia » Israel
Hotel
TALMA is an all-expense-paid summer of volunteer teaching which includes:
- Flight from JFK or LAX to Israel (alternate departure locations are determined case-by-case)
- Accommodation: 2 teachers to a room in apartment/hotel style accommodation
- Food and living stipend
- All professional development activities and excursions + program related transport

Hi Jesse, Yes! We accept applicants from Australia and throughout the world. We welcome your application. Best, Team TALMA

Judith
Hatboro, PA
University of Pennsylvania

A Meaningful Experience Teaching in Israel!

I have taught English as a Foreign Language with TALMA for the past two summers. Both years I served underprivileged students in the city of Jerusalem, and can't wait to return for a third summer next year! TALMA is a well-organized, professional development program for young teachers seeking a meaningful teaching experience during their summer off. Participants participate in an enrichment program and professional development workshops while also co-teaching in an Israeli classroom. The balance between work and play is appropriate, and participants can choose from a number of different "tracks" to suit their traveling preferences. In Jerusalem, the most independent track, TALMA teachers live in an extended-stay hotel in the heart of the city (close to the markets, shopping, and night life), and grow to feel like residents of the city. We get two free weekends to travel, and two organized weekends to share experiences with the TALMA teachers stationed in different regions. Both years I have had so much fun, developed meaningful relationships with Israeli teachers, built strong connections with my Israeli students, and improved my own teaching/reflective practices to boot! I highly recommend it!

Rena
Deerfield, IL
Indiana University- Bloomington

Teach with TALMA!

I don't even know where to begin with all of the positive things I could say about TALMA. The leaders of TALMA get how to run a program that has a clear vision and they select wonderful people to turn the vision into reality. Having the opportunity to teach in the periphery of Israel will allow you to see the country through a new lens, build new relationships, and undoubtedly grow both as an educator and as a person.

Response from TALMA: The Israel Program For Excellence in English

Thank you Rena! The feeling is mutual :)
We loved having you as part of the program and look forward to your hopeful return in summers to come!

Samantha
New York, New York
Lafayette College

Best Experience I've Ever Had!

I can't speak highly enough about this program! I was lucky enough to spend the Summer of 2016 teaching in Northern Israel with TALMA. There was nothing more inspiring than spending time planning, discussing, and creating with such incredible and passionate educators. I will be a far better teacher in my career in the U.S. because of my fellow TALMA teachers. My students reminded my why I got into education to begin with. I will never forget the relationships we formed in just three short weeks together (despite our language barrier!). My favorite memories will always be playing soccer in the hot Israeli sun during recess with the students practicing their English by telling me the score and complimenting each other, or when one of my students who had never taken English before approached me the last week to ask to use the bathroom in perfect, unprompted English.
Beyond teaching, I feel so lucky to have made so many special friendships with like-minded, passionate educators who shared this incredible experience with me. Our location in the North was a great way to feel like part of the community and explore a part of Israel I would normally not have the chance to. After school and planning, we would go swimming at our Kibbutz or take a bus to any of the many neighboring areas for hiking, shopping, dinner, drinks, dancing, and more. And of course, experiencing a new culture means learning some of the language, and eating lots of the local food. Our two free weekends were an awesome opportunity to travel with new friends or visit old friends/family in Israel. I spent one weekend in Tel Aviv exploring the cities and incredible beaches and the other renting a car and hiking/wine tasting in the Golan Heights, visiting Haifa, and camping on the beach. In four weeks, I experienced so many new things and was pushed (in a good way) out of my comfort zone. I'm so happy I chose to participate in TALMA because of all the positive impacts it had on me as well as the benefits of our students having English immersion classes. I left Israel a far better teacher, a more cultured person, a more creative and innovative educator, and a truly better human.
I'm so excited to return to Israel and TALMA again in the coming Summer(s).

Response from TALMA: The Israel Program For Excellence in English

Sam!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We were so happy to have you join the program and have our fingers crossed that you'll return for summer 2017!

Debra
Woodbridge, Connecticut

CREATING with TALMA

My name is Debra and I have had the privilege of watching TALMA grow since its inception in 2014. I first visited TALMA as a Teach for America alumna on a Professional Development program in Israel. That summer, Israel was in the midst of Operation Protective Edge - the 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict that began after three young Israelis were kidnapped and murdered. The country was hurting, but when I visited TALMA in the North of Israel, I witnessed diplomacy in action. Young American and international teachers coming to Israel during a time of war, working side by side with Israeli teachers, and CREATING a distraction, a summer of fun and learning, for young children in Israel's most impoverished communities.

I returned to Israel the following summer to help pilot TALMA in its second location, Jerusalem. As a participant, rather than observer, I learned that TALMA is much more than meets the eye. Not only is it a teaching fellowship, but it is a transformative community. It is one thing to be a teacher who works within a school community of other teachers, it is another thing to live within a community of teachers - sharing apartments, cooking, planning, exploring, living...and yes, partying together. We shared our experience in the classroom, our knowledge of best practices, our love of hummus and Mediterranean food, and above all, a passion for what in hebrew is known as 'tikkun olam' a desire to repair the world and make it a better place for EVERYONE in it.

As my summer with TALMA came to a close, I knew I wanted my involvement to go beyond the summer. Fortunately, upon arriving back on US soil, I received an email stating that TALMA was in search of a Recruitment Director. Without hesitation, I applied. Last summer I helped recruit 98 teachers from around the world to help grow TALMA into three new communities: Mitzpe Ramon, Kiryat Malachi, and a bedouin community in the Jezreel Valley. Each summer TALMA's impact is growing bigger - and it is CREATING waves in the Israeli education system. Currently, TALMA is ranked the number one education program in Israel.

With the generosity of the Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation, the Steinhardt Family Foundation in Israel, and the Israeli government, TALMA continues to grow, get better, and create...opportunity for the youth of Israel, incredible experiences for the teachers who participate in our fellowship, and a more equitable and loving world where people from different lifestyles and upbringings come together to 'repair.'

This summer, I am excited to continue my work with TALMA as I embark on my second year as Recruitment Director of the program. TALMA has given me purpose and community, and has empowered me to expand my impact leveraging the people, resources and knowledge I've been gifted as a result of participating. If you are seeking an opportunity to grow personally, professionally, and do so while gifting your time and energy to a most worthwhile cause, I invite you to apply to TALMA and join me, next year in Israel!

Debra
TALMA '14 Observer; TALMA '15 Fellow, TALMA '16-'17 Recruitment Director

Made year round!

Tracy
New York
Columbia University

Full Heart and Belly

TALMA was an experience I couldn't have gotten any place else. It threw me out of my comfort zone in the most amazing way. I learned to connect and build relationships with students without sharing a common language. It taught me new things about myself as a teacher and a person. Through my experience with TALMA, I am able to bring back new ideas and techniques to my home classroom. Outside of the classroom, TALMA provides such a warm and welcoming community. My placement was my new home. I found myself missing my musty little room and new family once I left. TALMA also allows some free time to explore different areas or just relax and recharge your batteries. And hummus....need I say more? I left Israel with my heart and belly full.