Livnot U'lehibanot - Volunteer Programs in Israel

Livnot U'lehibanot - Volunteer Programs in Israel

Livnot connects visitors from around the world with meaningful community service projects in Tzfat, Jerusalem and Beit Shemesh. Volunteering with Livnot is a great way to participate in "Tikun Olam" (repairing the world) during one of the days of a vacation, tour, family or school trip, community mission, or your child's Bar/Bat Mitvah in Israel.

Volunteers will work with local community leaders on varies projects as different needs arise. We also take our volunteers special skills and interests into account, so please let us know!

Asia » Israel
Spanish
Tzfat

The volunteers live in the heart of the old city in ancient, dug out rooms. It is incredible. Each room has its own bathroom and the rooms sizes vary from 3 people per room to 5. They also each have windows and access to air (don't be put off by the 'dug out' description. I only mean they are each a part of the extensive excavation that Livnot has done over the past 35 years and they are mostly en...
I am asking the same question as Emily?

gmm
Philadelphia
University of California- Davis

Livnot U'Lehibunot amazing experience

I would and have recommended the program to numerous people. It was an amazing adventure which I hope many more people will have the opportunity to participate in. From the amazing people that you get to meet, to the community building aspect of it, not to mention the amazing hikes. Through this experience I was able to see Israel in a new light. I had done birthright prior to participating in Livnot, and I would recommend Livnot over birthright much more. Not only do you get a better feel of the country of Israel, but you also learn so much more about the Jewish culture as well. Finally the people that I met through the program have definitely make an impact on my life, both participants of the program along with people who work in Livnot.

sssierra
Santa Cruz, CA
University of California- Santa Cruz

Livnot was the summer adventure I didn't even know I needed!

I stumbled upon Livnot U'Lehibanot by luck after my initial plans in Israel fell through. My experiences at Livnot ended up being exactly the kind of summer adventure that I wanted. The people, scenery, work and community were incredible. I wish I could do Livnot U'Lehibanot every summer.

Ariana
Nyc

Livnot made Israel come to life

Livnot was an amazing experience. I did Birthright ten years prior and left with mixed feelings. I didn't like being in bus for ten straight days nor did i like feeling that Judaism was being pushed on me. Livnot was so different. I interacted with the community (locally in Tsfat and within Livnot) as well as the land regularly. Livnot attracts good people- people who feel okay about leaving their comforts for an opportunity to explore, learn and serve. I had some deep conversations and spiritual moments while on this program. I really recommend it.

Jesica
Plantation, Florida

Livnot? fou shou!

If you are thinking about extending your Birthright trip or just going to Israel and spending some time in the magical land of Tzfat with Amazing people doing Amazing things, then this is your program.

Look no further, because in Livnot you will be living in a house full of light and you will be projecting this light onto wherever you volunteer and hike.

I went to livnot last year during the summer, and all the memories from that journey are amazing (cooking all of us together, volunteering, cleaning dishes all together, singing, and helping out the community). I could not have asked for a better way to spend my time there.
Happy Travels!

Eed5712
Chicago, IL

Great program

This was a life changing 7 weeks. I lived with a host family in Matagalpa, Nicaragua and they treated me as if I was their own daughter. As a community, we began a small library for the school. My partner and I really got to know the community through 2 hour lessons about the topics such as the environment, nutrition, etc. that we had with local students. I always felt completely safe. I would recommend this program to absolutely anyone who was willing to be away from home for seven weeks and have an incredible adventure.

Michael
Lake Forest
California State University- Monterey Bay

Livnot, "Deep Inside My Heart..."

I went on this program when I had a break with my other volunteer program. The city of Tzfat where Livnot is located is magical and the Livnot campus is the same. Overlooking the valley it truly is breathtaking and serene.
I got to spend 2 weeks with Livnot and they packed in so much! We got to go hiking, to a winery, and explore Tzfat. The people who work at Livnot are dedicated and very easy going. They make you feel very welcomed and the atmosphere is cozy.
Not only did the group and I have great adventures we also helped out the local community in various ways. We helped build up the local park, painted the inside of someones house, help tile the local high school and when a city worker accidentally contaminated half of Tzfat's drinking water, we all helped hand deliver fresh water to people who could not leave their house.
This program is a combination of volunteering, exploring, spirituality and overwhelming joy!

theycallmerob
Baltimore, Maryland

Just Do It

Simply put, the greatest decision I've made in my life.

I arrived at Livnot on a one-way ticket after reconsidering my life (to date) in the US; I though of Livnot, and Israel, as a short stop on my global itinerary. However, 1 month later (way longer than I had planned), I was seriously considering staying for good.

Hiking, community service, the people, the land, the city...everything comes together perfectly.
My only regret is having to leave at the end.

Mrose1988
Rochester, NY
University of Rochester

Life changing experience

I have been gone from the magic city of Tsfst for almost a year and I still feel like I have more of a connection and community in tsfat than I do in any other place in the world. The staff, volunteers, and families involved in this program have forever impacted my life. I have nothing but great, positive things to say about this program

sarah
Baltimore, MD

Livnot U'Lehibanot is Amazing

Livnot U"Lehibanot in english means, To Build and To Be Built. Along with physical building within their wonderfully structured community service program, they also inspire community and spiritual "building." There is a language within building, and that is the language of the soul. Livnot reminds participants about the Jewish value of Tikkun Olam--Healing the World. In several of the program's chavrut, or study sessions, we were encouraged to consider that each person is a world. So if we are each a world, how then do we perceive building ourselves, the community, and the bigger picture, the world at large? I am deeply inspired by Livnot's work, and hope to stay connected with their community. As well as creating an inspiring environment, Livnot also cultivated a safe environment, where I felt *home*. For me, this feeling of home is so sacred, and I strive to cultivate it here. now. always.

S
London, UK
Middlesex University

Livnot

I had always heard about Livnot, but was not very keen on the idea of working and hiking, but I went for the experience to experience Tzfat and the north. Although the Volunteering was hard at times, it gave me a sense of community, that I was a part of something and I helped for the building of the future.

I was also lucky to go on a 2/3 day hike. Although I did not want to go, and I was struggling and in pain during the hike. Reaching the end, and the experience that you accomplish something that you never thought you would have done was amazing. When on a hike there is not much to do, so you talk, and on this hike I got to practice my Hebrew, and I got to know many conversations with the people on the programme.

LaurieR
Israel

Livnot Experience

Amazing experience for young Jewish adults who want to explore their Jewish heritage. Stimulating, envigorating, very challenging both mentally and physically (not hard, but challenging work). Lifelong friends and a home forever in Israel (can stay on the campus whenever in the area)

ReviewsABC
Miami, FL
University of Miami

Great place with a great mission

Livnot is a great place aiming to rebuild the historical city of Tzvat. I would recommend this program to anyone trying to really make an impact in rebuilding Israel.

Robyn
State College, PA

Best experience of my life!!!!!!

The title of this review is not a hyperbole. Tzfat is a truly magical place that just came alive with the positively amazing group of people that I encountered at Livnot. As soon as I arrived, I felt completely welcome and never once felt alienated or "not religious enough" or anything like that. My whole life I've always lived in the extreme Jewish minority, so being in a place where everyone else was Jewish was a very powerful experience for me. For once, I was asking the questions instead of answering them. I learned so much about myself and my faith during my trip at Livnot. The hikes were unreal in their beauty, and I even jumped off a small waterfall! (it was terrifying). Our guide, Michael, was marvelous - he is one of the best storytellers I've ever met. Alon, our program coordinator, is also amazing storyteller and held us captivated on countless occasions. The community service component of the program was enjoyable as well, even though it often included a decent amount of manual labor (weeding, etc.). The best community service trip was to the Ethiopian absorption center, where we got to play with maybe fifty kids (they kicked our butts at soccer). The most amazing experience I had at Livnot was the overnight desert hike - I've never seen so many stars in my entire life. I can't even articulate how much this trip resonated with me. I hope you all go there and experience it yourself!!!

aua
Miami

Best time of my life

Livnot is a wonderful organization which thought me a lot about my Jewish heritage. The program has an amazing staff who are always willing to help and teach. Not only did I get to learn about the beautiful landscape of Israel and Judaism, but also got practical experience by doing community service. The food was also amazing!

awolfee
Boca Raton, Florida

Life changing experience

At first I was very hesitant about going to this program. I thought it would be something that I wouldn't have a lot of freedom, it would be religion based, and it would be the worst experience of my life. (I just wanted a place to stay in Israel at the time) After about 30 minutes I felt at home. I immediately began to realize that everything I thought this program consisted of was completely wrong. The week that I spent at Livnot was the most memorable week of my entire life. I am not saying this to hype up the program. I am absolutely sincere with this review and I hope that you take the time to read this because I wish someone would have told me a little more about their experience with this program. I am not an outdoors person at all but I found myself pining to get a chance to go hiking and learn all about the landscapes of this region.I even had the chance to jump off a cliff into a fresh water pond. It was so awesome! To sum this up I don't think I will ever do anything as wonderful and life changing as I did when I was at Livnot that one week in June. I strongly recommend this program to anyone who loves adventure, culture, friendship, and wants to have the time of their life.

ronit
Minneapolis, MN

Increadible experience

Livnot is a wonderful organization filled with amazing teachers and mentors. I learned practical things like tiling and grouting as well as more beautiful ideas about Judaism. The hikes were also wonderful and so pretty.

funtime1212
USA

Great Program

I had a lot of fun it was great! I would recommend it to all my friends, it is affordable with a great living space! The staff are very friendly and helpful and over all it was very enjoyable! Keep it up!

Karyn
Jerusalem

Just Do It!

This might be the cheesiest thing to say ever, but I'm going to say it anyway with the utmost sincerity: Livnot U'Lehibanot is a once in a lifetime experience that lasts for a lifetime.

I cannot find enough words to describe the positive impact Livnot has made on my life. The volunteer experiences leave you feeling like you are a part of the history of an already ancient city whether it is building a park, hanging out with new Ethiopian immigrants, or doing arts and crafts with enigmatic people older than the state of Israel herself! The integration with locals makes you feel at home and the staff right on campus truly becomes your family. The Livnot experience doesn't have off hours when you arrive back to campus from a day of hiking or volunteering, it goes with you to lunch where the local Yemenite pizza maker gives you a discount because "Oh! You're with Livnot!!" Let's not forget the great hikes, which leave you with not only a deeper appreciation for the land of Israel, but also for yourself because we never miss an opportunity to learn and grow along the way.

Livnot won't just follow you to your lunch break in Tzfat, it will follow you back home to your community, and thanks to alumni connecting initiatives, you can be connected to past Livnoters all around the world and maybe even right next door. That is why I like to call this program 'leave-not'...because (and here comes the cheese again) the experience stays with you forever.

gabigirl
Fair Lawn, NJ

Lovely Livnot

My summer at Livnot has forever broadened my definition of Judaism and reshaped the way I identify with the Jewish community. Living in Tzfat, engaging in discussions about kabbalah, and keeping an open mind have all led me to a new understanding of what it means for me to be a Jew. There is no wrong or right way to approach ones spirituality, there's no such thing as a 'good Jew' or a 'bad Jew'. Being Jewish is a personal journey of discovery for each of us to embark upon, allowing for the development of a unique Judaism within each of us. It's your Judaism to explore, and no one can tell you you're doing it wrong, because as long as you're asking questions and seeking answers, you are in search of something bigger than yourself and that exploration is what it means to be Jewish.

jeros001
Jerusalem, Israel

This program changed my life.

I have to say with 100% certainty that this program is one of the best ways to experience Israel for someone who doesn't have much connection to their Jewish roots. The combination of awesome hikes (led by down to earth and extremely knowledgeable guides), meaningful community service, and very open Jewish experiences such as discussions, Shabbat experiences, and workshops was perfect for me. The staff is fun, knowledgeable, and always available to suggest (or join you for) awesome activities and the location is absolutely gorgeous. An off-the-beaten-track, meaningful way to experience Israel that will undoubtably leave you with new friends and insights. I couldn't recommend it more!

Livnot

A unique life-changing journey

At Livnot U'lehibunot you will get a very unique Israel experience. The length of the program is idea, not too short but long enough to give you a sense of what if feels like to live in the land of Israel.
Livnot is a perfect combination of what most young jewish people need to experience in Israel.
Living in one of the most mystic and historic cities of Israel, Zefad, you get to immerse in a unique community while volunteering and learning from the staff and artists of the city. Every week you will get to experience the land through hikes that go beyond expectations. As opposed to many of the programs that take you through Israel, this one focuses on helping you identify with your Judaism and roots. It is not only a journey on the outside, but a learning experience about the self. And every experience is about togetherness, and community. You will sleep, hike, eat, cook, wash, volunteer, dance, sing, study, and learn all together, like a family.

ARI
New york

A summer of ReJEWvenation

I was looking for a summer experience that would really connect me to Israel, and this program fit perfectly. From rebuilding homes and ancient ruins to hiking to simply watching the inspiring sunset every night, Livnot U'lehibunot was just what I was looking for. The staff was amazing, and I was really able to connect with everyone on a personal and spiritual level. I hope I will be back soon

Yolo
Gainesville, Florida

Shawarma Bears

I spent 4 weeks in Tzfat Israel at the Livnot campus as part of the Galilee Fellowship and had an amazing experience. Through the hiking, cooking, community involvement, spiritual development, and jewish learning I not only grew as a person, but was truly able to have an awesome time with the people around me.

ab11
Buenos Aires, Argentina
University of Wisconsin- Madison

A great experience

Livnot was an amazing experience that I chose to participate in after my Birthright trip was over. I knew I wanted to extend my stay in Israel, and Livnot was the perfect choice for me. We did volunteer work around the community that was fun and laid-back, and I met great people and learned so much.

The
Miami University

Livnot - A great experience

We went as part of a group for community service from University of Miami and had a fantastic time. It was a great opportunity for people from diverse backgrounds to find out more about people living in israel and to meet others and to hike the land. It really was the perfect combination. What made the program extra special was the phenomenal staff. Thank you

pomegranate
Washington, DC

Life changing Livnot

I was nervous in going to Israel - I wasn't sure what to expect, if it would be welcoming, if I would be "Jewish" enough. But Livnot became a second home for me in those short weeks - a place for friendship, spiritual questioning, and so so much learning. The staff was a great part of that - they all made a particular effort to entertain any thought, to allow conversation to flow.

We visited all the great sights - an afternoon at the Wailing Wall and Shabbat in Tsvat were highlights - and through it all, it was a question of not just the history but personal meaning.

I highly recommend this organization, whatever your journey's intent.

ilike2volunteer
cambridge, ma

Awesome experience with Livnot

I went on birthright with Livnot in 2009. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I loved the fact that I was still able to help the needy and excavate Tzfat while also learning about my culture. The people on the trip were awesome, too.

Amf616
Jerusalem, Israel

Do this program!

If you're looking for a really meaningful way to get involved in Israel and simultaneously do some soul/self-searching, Livnot is it. You volunteer in the heart of the community, doing organic gardening and composting, excavating and rebuilding ancient sites, working with local children and families, and so much more. The hiking is absolutely gorgeous, with amazing, knowledgable guides. You'll meet some of the coolest and most interesting people in the country. And you will learn so much about Judaism, history, and YOURSELF!! The campus is located in the very center of Tzfat's Old City, so you get to know a very special, spiritual place in Israel where most travelers only spend a few hours. I can't stress how great this program is and how dedicated the entire staff is to making sure volunteers get the very most out of their experience. Livnot has a HUGE presence in the Tzfat community for a good reason! You can make a difference in the world and in yourself. Highly highly highly recommend.

drome21
Scottsdale, Arizona

Excellet 1 month program

Awesome and fun time, community service is meaningful and the hikes where great! Really gives a sense of community, we cook together we eat together, and we have fun together. Would recommend this program to all of my friends!

gjb816
University of Miami

Radical Amazement

By far the best program I have ever been on. I never expected to feel and become part of a community in such a short amount of time. The staff working at Livnot couldn't have been any better. Each day the themes we focused on (amazement, tikkun olam, community) allowed me to be more conscious of the reasons I choose to participate in a program that gave back to the community. The most memorable part of the program for me was definitely the Shabbat experiences. Letting Shabbat in with our singing while watching the sunrise was incredible and no picture or video could EVER capture its beauty, everyone was just enjoying it in the moment. One of the most important things I took back from this trip is to be amazable and to surround yourself with amazable people that are able to appreciate the things that are often overlooked. Livnot was an unforgettable experience and I am already planning on returning soon. I hope more people have the honor to visit such an incredible community that Livnot offers. Mamash amazing.

Livnot is the premiere experience geared towards Jews 21-30+ with little or no background in Judaism. The program facilitates an exploration of Israel and Jewish heritage through the medium of fascinating seminars, challenging hikes and rewarding community service projects.

The name Livnot U'Lehibanot, which in