Livnot U'lehibanot - Volunteer Programs in Israel

Livnot connects visitors from around the world with meaningful community service projects in Tzfat, Jerusalem and Beit Shemesh. Volunteering with Livnot is a great way to participate in "Tikun Olam" (repairing the world) during one of the days of a vacation, tour, family or school trip, community mission, or your child's Bar/Bat Mitvah in Israel.

Volunteers will work with local community leaders on varies projects as different needs arise. We also take our volunteers special skills and interests into account, so please let us know!

The volunteers live in the heart of the old city in ancient, dug out rooms. It is incredible. Each room has its own bathroom and the rooms sizes vary from 3 people per room to 5. They also each have windows and access to air (don't be put off by the 'dug out' description. I only mean they are each a part of the extensive excavation that Livnot has done over the past 35 years and they are mostly...
I am asking the same question as Emily?

gmm

Livnot U'Lehibunot amazing experience

I would and have recommended the program to numerous people. It was an amazing adventure which I hope many more people will have the opportunity to participate in. From the amazing people that you get to meet, to the community building aspect of it, not to mention the amazing hikes. Through this experience I was able to see Israel in a new light. I had done birthright prior to participating in Livnot, and I would recommend Livnot over birthright much more. Not only do you get a better feel of the country of Israel, but you also learn so much more about the Jewish culture as well. Finally the people that I met through the program have definitely make an impact on my life, both participants of the program along with people who work in Livnot.

sssierra

Livnot was the summer adventure I didn't even know I needed!

I stumbled upon Livnot U'Lehibanot by luck after my initial plans in Israel fell through. My experiences at Livnot ended up being exactly the kind of summer adventure that I wanted. The people, scenery, work and community were incredible. I wish I could do Livnot U'Lehibanot every summer.

Ariana

Livnot made Israel come to life

Livnot was an amazing experience. I did Birthright ten years prior and left with mixed feelings. I didn't like being in bus for ten straight days nor did i like feeling that Judaism was being pushed on me. Livnot was so different. I interacted with the community (locally in Tsfat and within Livnot) as well as the land regularly. Livnot attracts good people- people who feel okay about leaving their comforts for an opportunity to explore, learn and serve. I had some deep conversations and spiritual moments while on this program. I really recommend it.

Jesica

Livnot? fou shou!

If you are thinking about extending your Birthright trip or just going to Israel and spending some time in the magical land of Tzfat with Amazing people doing Amazing things, then this is your program.

Look no further, because in Livnot you will be living in a house full of light and you will be projecting this light onto wherever you volunteer and hike.

I went to livnot last year during the summer, and all the memories from that journey are amazing (cooking all of us together, volunteering, cleaning dishes all together, singing, and helping out the community). I could not have asked for a better way to spend my time there.
Happy Travels!

Eed5712

Great program

This was a life changing 7 weeks. I lived with a host family in Matagalpa, Nicaragua and they treated me as if I was their own daughter. As a community, we began a small library for the school. My partner and I really got to know the community through 2 hour lessons about the topics such as the environment, nutrition, etc. that we had with local students. I always felt completely safe. I would recommend this program to absolutely anyone who was willing to be away from home for seven weeks and have an incredible adventure.

Michael

Livnot, "Deep Inside My Heart..."

I went on this program when I had a break with my other volunteer program. The city of Tzfat where Livnot is located is magical and the Livnot campus is the same. Overlooking the valley it truly is breathtaking and serene.
I got to spend 2 weeks with Livnot and they packed in so much! We got to go hiking, to a winery, and explore Tzfat. The people who work at Livnot are dedicated and very easy going. They make you feel very welcomed and the atmosphere is cozy.
Not only did the group and I have great adventures we also helped out the local community in various ways. We helped build up the local park, painted the inside of someones house, help tile the local high school and when a city worker accidentally contaminated half of Tzfat's drinking water, we all helped hand deliver fresh water to people who could not leave their house.
This program is a combination of volunteering, exploring, spirituality and overwhelming joy!

theycallmerob

Just Do It

Simply put, the greatest decision I've made in my life.

I arrived at Livnot on a one-way ticket after reconsidering my life (to date) in the US; I though of Livnot, and Israel, as a short stop on my global itinerary. However, 1 month later (way longer than I had planned), I was seriously considering staying for good.

Hiking, community service, the people, the land, the city...everything comes together perfectly.
My only regret is having to leave at the end.

Mrose1988

Life changing experience

I have been gone from the magic city of Tsfst for almost a year and I still feel like I have more of a connection and community in tsfat than I do in any other place in the world. The staff, volunteers, and families involved in this program have forever impacted my life. I have nothing but great, positive things to say about this program

sarah

Livnot U'Lehibanot is Amazing

Livnot U"Lehibanot in english means, To Build and To Be Built. Along with physical building within their wonderfully structured community service program, they also inspire community and spiritual "building." There is a language within building, and that is the language of the soul. Livnot reminds participants about the Jewish value of Tikkun Olam--Healing the World. In several of the program's chavrut, or study sessions, we were encouraged to consider that each person is a world. So if we are each a world, how then do we perceive building ourselves, the community, and the bigger picture, the world at large? I am deeply inspired by Livnot's work, and hope to stay connected with their community. As well as creating an inspiring environment, Livnot also cultivated a safe environment, where I felt *home*. For me, this feeling of home is so sacred, and I strive to cultivate it here. now. always.

S

Livnot

I had always heard about Livnot, but was not very keen on the idea of working and hiking, but I went for the experience to experience Tzfat and the north. Although the Volunteering was hard at times, it gave me a sense of community, that I was a part of something and I helped for the building of the future.

I was also lucky to go on a 2/3 day hike. Although I did not want to go, and I was struggling and in pain during the hike. Reaching the end, and the experience that you accomplish something that you never thought you would have done was amazing. When on a hike there is not much to do, so you talk, and on this hike I got to practice my Hebrew, and I got to know many conversations with the people on the programme.

LaurieR

Livnot Experience

Amazing experience for young Jewish adults who want to explore their Jewish heritage. Stimulating, envigorating, very challenging both mentally and physically (not hard, but challenging work). Lifelong friends and a home forever in Israel (can stay on the campus whenever in the area)

ReviewsABC

Great place with a great mission

Livnot is a great place aiming to rebuild the historical city of Tzvat. I would recommend this program to anyone trying to really make an impact in rebuilding Israel.

Robyn

Best experience of my life!!!!!!

The title of this review is not a hyperbole. Tzfat is a truly magical place that just came alive with the positively amazing group of people that I encountered at Livnot. As soon as I arrived, I felt completely welcome and never once felt alienated or "not religious enough" or anything like that. My whole life I've always lived in the extreme Jewish minority, so being in a place where everyone else was Jewish was a very powerful experience for me. For once, I was asking the questions instead of answering them. I learned so much about myself and my faith during my trip at Livnot. The hikes were unreal in their beauty, and I even jumped off a small waterfall! (it was terrifying). Our guide, Michael, was marvelous - he is one of the best storytellers I've ever met. Alon, our program coordinator, is also amazing storyteller and held us captivated on countless occasions. The community service component of the program was enjoyable as well, even though it often included a decent amount of manual labor (weeding, etc.). The best community service trip was to the Ethiopian absorption center, where we got to play with maybe fifty kids (they kicked our butts at soccer). The most amazing experience I had at Livnot was the overnight desert hike - I've never seen so many stars in my entire life. I can't even articulate how much this trip resonated with me. I hope you all go there and experience it yourself!!!

aua

Best time of my life

Livnot is a wonderful organization which thought me a lot about my Jewish heritage. The program has an amazing staff who are always willing to help and teach. Not only did I get to learn about the beautiful landscape of Israel and Judaism, but also got practical experience by doing community service. The food was also amazing!

awolfee

Life changing experience

At first I was very hesitant about going to this program. I thought it would be something that I wouldn't have a lot of freedom, it would be religion based, and it would be the worst experience of my life. (I just wanted a place to stay in Israel at the time) After about 30 minutes I felt at home. I immediately began to realize that everything I thought this program consisted of was completely wrong. The week that I spent at Livnot was the most memorable week of my entire life. I am not saying this to hype up the program. I am absolutely sincere with this review and I hope that you take the time to read this because I wish someone would have told me a little more about their experience with this program. I am not an outdoors person at all but I found myself pining to get a chance to go hiking and learn all about the landscapes of this region.I even had the chance to jump off a cliff into a fresh water pond. It was so awesome! To sum this up I don't think I will ever do anything as wonderful and life changing as I did when I was at Livnot that one week in June. I strongly recommend this program to anyone who loves adventure, culture, friendship, and wants to have the time of their life.

About Livnot U'Lehibanot

Livnot is the premiere experience geared towards Jews 21-30+ with little or no background in Judaism. The program facilitates an exploration of Israel and Jewish heritage through the medium of fascinating seminars, challenging hikes and rewarding...