View Other Details
Note: During the COVID-19 outbreak, Global Volunteers is waiving the fee to transfer from affected service programs to a future date.
Volunteer with an international leader - for one to two weeks - on an emergent program expansion in Castelvetrano, Sicily. Experience hands-on teaching assignments in schools and small groups - perfect for families, groups and individuals. Volunteers assist with the daily planning of classes and lessons through established texts, lesson plans, and creative activities. Share your knowledge of your own culture - from history and lifestyle to sports and education. This is a new program launching in the fall, 2021.
Global Volunteers has served in partnership with community leaders in more than 15 Italian communities since 1995, and began a new partnership with the municipal government of Castelvetrano, Sicily in 2019. Although we were delayed by the pandemic, we invite you to help us form this new relationship providing volunteer assistance to English language students of all ages. Help youth and young adults gain new skills for a productive future!
- Complete immersion in Sicilian culture. Discover Castelvetrano, Sicily, famous for its olives and olive oil, cobbled streets, narrow passage ways, and unique architecture reminiscent of the past.
- Assist eager Italians in learning the language of commerce, worldwide communication and technology.
- All logistics (except for international airfare) arranged by our staff, so you can focus on volunteering.
- Global Volunteers' policy: safety trumps everything. Volunteers are well taken care of by their Team Leader while on a service program.
- Assist with the development of a formative new community partnership.
Volunteer groups as well as individuals are warmly invited to help local leaders ensure children's and young adults’ future success in a globalized world and an increasingly integrated Europe. The demand is high for English-speaking volunteers in the region. You can be a valuable resource in Castelvetrano where it is essential for young people to learn and practice this critical skill to get ahead. The focus of the conversational English program is the students. Most young people have studied English in school, but few have the opportunity to practice with native English speakers. As a volunteer providing your time and dedication, you can help Italian students improve their English and, therefore, their career opportunities.
Volunteers of all ages and backgrounds can make a difference. Regardless whether you're a current, retired or "never-been" teacher, you can lead discussions on interesting and enjoyable topics to engage students in the English language. A typical day might include conversations on subjects ranging from current events to cultural differences. There's no limit to your creativity in the classroom!