Jamaica Volunteer Programs in Kingston

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Jamaica Volunteer Programs has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

group volunteer project in Jamaica
group volunteer project in Jamaica

Take learning outside the classroom and discover a whole new world!

Help volunteer while teaching children in Kingston, Jamaica -- one of Jamaica's most beautiful cities.

Working in schools will local children will help educate the community, while allowing you to learn about the food, language and culture in Jamaica. Volunteer opportunities in Jamaica are available for you to work in three types of schools. When volunteering, you will provide individual attention and assistance to children from challenging circumstances and to those who have special needs. There are pre-schools for the little ones ages 3– 6, Primary Schools for the 6 – 12 year olds and Secondary Schools for the age groups 12 – 17. Class sizes will vary from class to class but will be approximately 35 – 40 students.

• Volunteer with school children
  • Explore beautiful sites throughout Kingston
  • Received fantastic historical lesson
  • Enjoy famous Jamaican cuisine

Kaya

It Was The Best

The trip to Jamaica was the best trip In my high School Career. Being there I definitely look at everything differently and no regrets. One of my favorite parts of the trip was costing the Annie Dawson Home because the girls there were so grateful, beautiful, loving, and funny. I also loved the house we stayed in, the food that was cooked for us, and the party they threw for us before leaving. Another I enjoyed was the beach, it was so beautiful. I love Jamaica and would most definitely go back if I could.

The advice I would give is do not travel if your not going to try to be open to different food and others culture, it just defeats the purpose of traveling.
Ki Eisha

Great Experience

Thank you for providing a great experience for our group. We enjoyed the volunteer opportunities with the Botanical Gardens, and we loved volunteering at the girls home. Many of the children in our group got a chance to connect with the children in the girls home, and they walked away with a sense of giving back to the community.

The food that was provided daily was great. Thank you for taking the extra time out to provide vegan meals just for me.

The day at Maroon Town really touched the children. They were provided with the historical information about their ancestors, and the implementation of slavery within Jamaica. All they ever heard about was the implementation of the oppression of Black Americans. Many of our students walked away feeling empowered.

We brought many children ages ranged from 15-17. I would recommend providing options or ideas to keep them engaged and entertained a couple of nights.
Seth

ACES 298 in Jamaica

The experience was an incredibly fun thing to do for the class, and was very educational. The staff were very kind and personable, and the Smokey Vale Manor was absolutely lovely. We were served Jamaican food every day at the manor, and given lessons on Jamaican culture with any questions we had answered by the very nice and personable staff. They accompanied us on our trips, making sure we got where we needed to go, giving us advice and tips, and pointing out nuances of what we saw and did.

Trey

Jamaican Study Review

Overall, the experience was very interesting and exciting. There were many once in a lifetime opportunities to see things that not every traveler gets to see. We were lead everyday by multiple staff members and were carried from each destination in nice air conditioned buses. We followed closely to the busy schedule which allowed us to get the most out of each day of participation. I enjoyed my experience and would suggest it to anyone who wishes to learn about life in Jamaica.

Bianca

Great

The program was an great experience, i learned a lot about the culture. My favourite thing about the trip was the food, i got to taste a lot of great food. The jerk chicken we have in America is a little different then what i had here. I also like our bus rides we took. On the bus ride i was able to see different parts of the country. I was also able to see all the kids going to school. I wish the weather was a little better, but it was still better than what we have in Illinois.

Have a different food every night.
Austin

Trip to Jamaica

Has been a great experience that I would recommend to others. It has been a very educational and fun experience for me and my classmates. I have especially enjoyed seeing all the different social classes of Jamaica and not just seeing the resort aspect of the island. It has been a great experience for me and has made me get out of my comfort zone by trying new foods and dancing in the Jamaican style. I am very thankful for the experience and it is something that I will always remember,

I do not have any suggestions, I felt that it was a well planned out trip.
Bella

Trip to Jamaica

My experience at Smokey Manor was great! Travelling to a different country can be daunting, but the ladies and gentlemen at Smokey Manor gave me comfort and confidence in my stay. At one point, I even got sick and had to stay in bed for the day instead of exploring with the group and the staff took great care of me. The men and women of Smokey Manor also took so much pride in their culture and took the time to share with us bits and pieces of their customs. Overall, it was an educationally-enhancing and friendly experience!

N/A
Daisy

Good experience

I had an overall great experience this past couple of days. It was great to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. An example of getting out of my comfort zone is trying new foods. I also enjoyed being able to spend time with others that also stayed at Smokey Manor. I am very grateful for the staff because they tried very hard to accommodate everything to what we enjoyed. My favorite part was the beach

More things to do in the house