Global Dental Relief Volunteer Program in Kenya

Global Dental Relief Volunteer Program in Kenya

In Kenya, you'll be working in a modern medical facility in the hilly region outside Nairobi. While there, you'll help provide critical dental care and hygiene education in a country with fewer than 1,000 dentists and a population of over 40 million. Thanks to our pioneering model of care, over 500 children will receive care in a single week. You'll then participate in a multi-day safari through the world-famous Maasai Mara National Park.

Project Types
Year Round
Small Group (1-15)
At this writing, the cost for our Kenya program is $2725 per person. This excludes airfare but includes all in-country transportation including airport transfers, 3- and 5-star accommodations, multi-day safari, and a majority of meals during the clinic. Volunteers often fundraise the entire cost of their participation; all donations toward your volunteer time are tax deductible. Please contact our office for help with fundraising, and visit our website for the most updated program costs.

Our first trip with more to come

This was our first trip with GDR. Our trip leaders, Katy and Peter were amazing. They were very organized and kept us informed. I felt safe with them and trusted their guidance. I've been on many mission trips. This was my first dental trip. I had some apprehension about assisting a dentist. The dentists and staff were great teachers and helped me ease into the position. I was deeply moved by the students we served. The need in Kenya is great and we were able to serve hundreds of students. The safari was a dream come true. I live on a farm with lots of wildlife. To see African wildlife in their native habitat was more than I imagined. GDR is doing marvelous work and I intend to join another trip.

Adventure in Kenya

What an amazing volunteer experience! You stay in the Karen Hills outside Nairobi and work out of a stationary dental clinic. As a non-dental person I was struck by how much they needed me in the clinic! I assisted a dentist (with no prior training), I also taught toothbrush instruction and administered fluoride varnish to the kids.

The experience not only filled my heart, but brought to light the impact that I as a non-dental person can have in these kids lives. I learned that dental care is a powerful way to make an immediate difference in the lives of these children. I thought that I was going to help kids, but I realized that I got so much more out of the volunteer experience. I can't wait to go back again!

It is amazing! No improvements needed!

There is nothing like traveling and volunteering together. Get immersed in the real Kenya! You will grow as a person and love the people as you work a week in a clinic in Kikuyu. The clinics are always very organized with great trip leaders who can help you in any way. This clinic is in an inside dental clinic that runs regularly. After you will travel to an AMAZING resort on Masai Mara! We saw lions, zebras, cheetahs, etc!

Adventure of a Lifetime

I am a pre-dental undergraduate student and I took the GDR trip to Nairobi, Kenya last summer, after the completion of my freshman year. I went to see what the field work of this profession entailed but I also went to explore a new country! It was such an amazing experience for me, and really solidified my resolve for wanting to enter this profession. I was able to take part in everything from fluoride and sterilization to chair side assisting. There was not a moment where I felt bored or underworked as a volunteer. The people I met on the journey were fantastic, and the process of arranging everything was handled professionally and promptly by GDR. My favorite memory was on the last day of the clinic, where some children wrote me thank you notes and gave me a huge hug, because our treatment has improved their quality of life so drastically. I still have those notes today, and I plan on keeping them forever. Hopefully, I will go on a trip with GDR again in the near future.

More spreading of the word and more gathering of donations/dental supplies from others would definitely help our outreach in the countries we visit.

Out of Africa

Baroness Karen von Blixen's Kikuyu have their own village and it is here that the health clinic in which you'll work is located. Nairobi is higher in altitude and drier than the coast, making for pleasant working conditions. The assistants are well trained and the local doc's gracious. You'll have opportunities to see Karen's home and movie location, elephants, and more on days off. After, there is a safari option. I chose, instead, to go to Mombasa and GDR made the arrangements for me. Consider also tacking on a trip up Kilimanjaro, just over the border in Tanzania.

About Global Dental Relief

Global Dental Relief’s mission is to bring quality dental care and hygiene education to underprivileged children across the world. Utilizing our pioneering model of care, dental professionals in collaboration with non-medically trained volunteers...