Help Underprivileged Children at a Children's Home in Kenya

Makuyu Education Initiative is an accountable, transparent, and efficient non-profit Children's home in Makuyu, Kenya. The mission of the MEI is to help underprivileged children of Makuyu to escape the vicious cycle of poverty by providing the children with a safe and nurturing place to live, nutritious meals to combat malnutrition, access to health care, and a high quality education.
The Makuyu Education Initiative is looking for volunteers to help at the children’s home. While the children are at school, there is a wide variety of tasks that need to be accomplished around the children’s home. When the children are at the Children’s home, the volunteers will have an opportunity to interact with the children, help children’s improve their English speaking, continue children’s education outside of school, and foster the children’s emotional and social development. Lastly, we’ll try to support any ideas that volunteers may have about how to improve the children’s home.

Hi, great question! We recommend contacting the program provider directly to learn more about the program details. This link will take you to their contact info: http://www.moco2makuyu.org/.

Thuy

LIVE LIKE A LOCAL

During my stay, I was living with the the most friendly local people I’ve ever met (including 16 children and MEI staff). They taught me their language - Swahili and how to make their foods such as mandazi, ugali, chapati, etc. It was also a really great opportunity for me to observe, learn and absorb Kenyan culture and customs. Also, volunteering at MEI was quite flexible as I could travel to other places for a few days, before coming back. Overall, MEI gave me not only an amazing experience in living like a local, but also wonderful chances to do my own adventures in exploring other amazing places in Kenya (Maasai Mara, Kisumu, the East coast, etc.)

Thank you for everything that you have shown and given to me. Thanks for having me and letting me be a part of your family! I highly recommend MEI as the best place to volunteer for!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
TEACHING SEWING

When I was there last year, I saw most of their uniforms were torn up/ having holes due to their sports activities in school. I tried to help them fix as many clothes as I could but run out of threads and I didn't have enough time to teach them sewing. So If I come back again, I'm gonna bring more threads and needles to teach them sewing manually. So they can fix their clothes anytime they need to.
1 person found this review helpful.