Teaching and Community Volunteering in Madagascar

Teaching and Community Volunteering in Madagascar

Madagascar's dramatic forest landscape is home to a fascinating diversity of life, with baobab and aloe trees, lemurs, chameleons and a whole host of other species that are found nowhere else on Earth! Its fantastically beautiful coastline boasts coral reefs rich in marine species, perfect for diving and snorkelling, and silky sanded beaches ideal for soaking up the bountiful sunshine. Madagascar's culture is vibrant and diverse; you will find bustling markets full of multicoloured produce and hospitable locals shouting their wares.

Overall schools in Madagascar are basic and teachers are in high demand; therefore your contribution will be extremely valuable. You will teach conversational and beginner’s English to these impoverished children, help with environmental education, and participate in other community activities. This truly will be an incredibly rewarding experience in one of the most extraordinary destinations in the world!

Madagascar, although beautiful, has high rates of poverty, so volunteers are very valuable and appreciated by the community. Frontier has managed volunteer projects in Madagascar for 15 years, and is based on the idyllic island of Nosy Be.

Here are some of our most popular Madagascar community projects:

• Madagascar Teaching: Teach in a local school in one of the most extraordinary destinations on Earth. Provide vital basic skills, environmental education and get involved in a variety of activities.
  • Madagascar Sports Coaching: Inject enthusiasm and creativity into the children's lives and become more than just a sports coach as you work in one of the most extraordinary destinations on Earth.
  • Madagascar Construction: Work in the heart of this rural African community, building and developing sustainable education infrastructure for local children whilst putting a smile on the faces of the people you meet!
  • View all our Madagascar projects here. To apply or for more information, click on the orange “Apply Now” button, fill in the short form and a volunteer advisor will call you back to answer any questions.

See what's happening at our Madagascar community projects right now.

Africa » Madagascar

- Insurance
Nosy Be

Hannah
Perth, Western Australia

My incredible experience teaching in Nosy-Be

I took part in the Frontier Madagascar Community Teaching Program for 6 weeks, over the months of February and March. I can honestly say it was a life changing experience, and I whole-heartedly and without reservation recommend it to anyone prepared to work hard and have an amazing time.
The project takes place in the town of Hellville, on the island of Nosy-Be off the North-West coast of Madagascar. The community house is very central in its location, being very close to all of the schools and places where volunteers work. I volunteered primarily at a primary school known to locals as "L'école frère," run by catholic nuns, the youth club of Nosy-Be, and a village school near to the Frontier Camp at Ambalahonko. At the catholic school, I taught around 5 or 6 30 minute lessons everyday, teaching them basic english such as body parts, and family members. Each class held around 70 children, which was very intimidating at first! However, in my first week, the community staff member trained me and guided me through how to best and most effectively teach, thus by my second week I was ready and raring to go! It was very rewarding teaching at the catholic school, and a lot of fun. The kids absolutely love the Frontier Volunteers, and always said "'Ello Annah!" whenever I passed them in the street after school and at weekends.
Every Friday, we would go to spend the night at the Frontier Camp at the village of Ambalahonko. It was great fun, and really good to spend time with the Forest and Marine staff members and volunteers. In the afternoon, we taught english at a school in a neighbouring village. Although the children were always quite loud, it was always a great learning experience and lots of fun! The walk there and back through the forest always involved seeing lemurs and eating mangos, which was an added bonus!
By far my favourite part of the project was teaching at the youth club. I taught them three times a week for two hours. It was great because I had a lot of freedom with what I taught them – I started by teaching them about Australia, and then over my 7 weeks covered subjects ranging from music and films to feminism. I really felt I was making a real difference in the lives of those who attended class, and we always had such a good laugh. Some of the students asked me to take extra classes with them, and so starting from my second week, I gave individual help and extra classes in all of my free time. Although it was tiring, I’m so glad I did this, because as a result I made life long friends, and became part of their family. One particular student, benefitted greatly from this extra help, and made it all worthwhile for me. In the beginning, although very strong at English, he lacked confidence in himself, and was too scared to apply for jobs (his dream is to become a tour guide). Over my stay, I made it my personal project to get him to apply for jobs and hopefully to secure one in the future. We worked on his oral skills, English CV and did practice interviews. In my last week, he finally secured an interview for an apprenticeship at the Economic Development Board of Madagascar. After many practice interviews at his house, he went for the interview, and came out having been offered the job! This made all of my hard work worthwhile, and deeply touched me. I also just found out he now also has a tour guide job secured for December.
I'm so glad I decided to take part in the Frontier Community Project in Madagascar. The opportunities that Frontier provided were really awesome, and it was so amazing to actually make a difference in the lives of our students. The work that Frontier does in Madagascar is incredible - it's reflected in the cheery greetings anyone in a Frontier t-shirt receives from any locals wandering past. The support from the staff members was superb, and they made the whole experience so amazing and highly educational. I hope to return very soon.

It's very hard to think of anything, because it really was a pretty perfect program! One of the only things I can think of, is the pre-departure information being a little inaccurate in places. I feel the packing list could be better. However I believe the packing list has now been re-written which is very useful for future volunteers.

Ross
cotland

adagascar construction

I have spent the past month on Frontiers construction programme and it has been excellent without exception. The only particular difficulty is getting here, which includes a nonsense amount of connections. espite that, it is however an excellent choice of programme to volunteer on, well organised and with helpful staff.

Jaz
Dorset, England

Teaching in Hell-Ville

I arrived in Hell-Ville at the start of May to teach English to the local school children at L'ecole des freres. On the first day, I was introduced to the town of Hell-Ville and the local shops and markets that I would become familiar with over the month that I'm here. In the evening, I attended my first adult education class which is held at the youth club. This group is very enthusiastic and keen to communicate in English. The next day, I was introduced to the primary school where we teach 30 minute lessons to different classes and cover various topics such as food and weather. the kids are extremely eager to participate in lessons and always happy to see us.

During the month that i was there, I completed a BTEC TEFL course which enabled me to gain a qualification through teaching the various levels of students. In order to achieve this, I had to complete logbooks and plan for each individual lesson. As well teaching at the primary school and the youth club, we also traveled down to the university on Wednesday's to teach English to a group of students who are studying Marine Biology. This a slightly different environment with different levels of English speakers and so is interesting to communicate with them.

It would be useful if more information was given beforehand about specifics of the project - e.g. who exactly we would be teaching.

Patrick
Hellville, Nosy Be, Madagascar

sports coaching in Madagascar

I arrived in Madagascar on the 28th of April after the Easter holidays and I've been doing the sports coaching project at our partnership school called "l'ecole des freres". The main sport I've been teaching them is basketball which the kids really enjoy playing. The only challenging thing is that you get classes of 60 to 120 students but they are all very well behaved, patient, and enthusiastic to learn. One of the funniest moments of teaching them is making them do lunges, running backwards and hopping because they copy every thing you do. As it is so hot, the sports lessons all finish before 9.30 am with the little ones. In the afternoon I do sports for the secondary school staring at 4:30pm and so in the break between I've been helping out with the construction and teaching projects. The first Sunday I was in Madagascar there was the school party where we tried to sell hot dogs, crepes, fruit and water I don't think they understood that all the money we got would go to our other projects to improve the school but it was fun anyway and we also taught 2 classes to sing '5 green bottle' and it was hysterical. So all together it has been an awesome 3 weeks and I would definitely stay for much longer. If you're hesitating about doing this project don't. Just come and you'll have an awesome time.

I would have like to do more sports teaching because you only do 10 hours a week.

James
London, UK.
University College London

Teaching English in Paradise

I have been working with Frontier in Madagascar for a month now, and so far my experience has been fantastic. I have been based in the town of Hell-Ville from where I have been managing Frontier’s community programme. The partnerships with school and other teaching institutes are well established and offer new volunteers the opportunity to engage with the local community while making a telling contribution to education in the area. On our field site the Frontier personnel are wonderfully enthusiastic and knowledgeable with an infectious energy that really enriches the volunteer experience. This, of course, is only augmented by the location. There is no better way to say it; Nosy Be is a dictionary-definition paradise with pristine beaches, crystal clear waters and breath-taking scenery. Ultimately if you want to travel in Africa, experience a new and vibrant culture while learning new skills and seeing some of the world’s best and most exotic wildlife in a picture-perfect location there is no better way to do it than with Frontier Madagascar!

More support prior to departure would have been welcome.

A world of possibilities awaits you with Frontier. You could be spending memorable days scuba diving off the brilliant white sand beaches of Fiji or discovering Madagascar on a conservation project with lemurs and chameleons.

Frontier has over 300 projects in 50 countries throughout Africa,