By SEED Madagascar   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

SEED Madagascar Short-Term Construction Volunteering

By SEED Madagascar   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Getting involved with Project Sekoly through the short-term scheme (2-3 weeks) provides a fantastic opportunity for those wanting to contribute to SEED Madagascar's established construction work in the stunning Anosy region of south east Madagascar. Working in a group of like-minded international volunteers, with a team of Malagasy guides and an international group coordinator, you may get involved in building schools, wells or latrines, in an area where access to education and sanitation can be poor.

This scheme is ideal for motivated volunteers looking for a fitness-building outdoors experience that really makes a difference to the lives of impoverished communities.You will be camping for the duration of your program, and provided with tasty simple meals using local ingredients of rice,beans, fruit and vegetables!

Dates for 2017:
1st March - 14th March
6th April - 20th/27th April
6th July - 20th/27th July Fully booked!
6th October - 20th/27th October

Africa » Madagascar » Fort Dauphin
Africa » Madagascar
500.00
Cost Description
Don't let the size of the required donation put you off! SEED Madagascar is there to support volunteers in raising this donation, with a wealth of fundraising experience and resources available to volunteers.
Fort Dauphin

Rating Values

Giulia
The Hague, The Netherlands

My experience!!

Overall

In the summer I travelled to a very rural town in the Anosy region of Madagascar called Tsigonariha (mind my spelling.) I helped reconstruct a primary school by making cement blocks and building benches. We also had Malagasy lessons in the mornings before working! It was fun to try speak it with locals and it made the children of the village smile a lot. Along with that I met incredible people with such mind blowing stories and even met a lemur. Feeling that I contributed to the happiness and education of 200 children inspired me to do more volunteering in the future and help more people :)

It was the most rewarding experience I have ever had and would recommend anyone to do the same. The Azafady staff was more than nice, always looking after you and checking on you.
I felt like I experienced the culture of Madagascar and I loved living with almost nothing, peeing in latrines and taking showers with buckets. It doesn't sound fun but it really made me appreciate everything I have at home. I feel more conscious about how lucky I am in many decisions I make, this experience really changed me as a person.

I honestly thought the course was perfect. Air Madagascar was on strike whilst I had to fly from the capital down to Fort Dauphin and Azafady handled this problem extremely well by providing another flight to get there and unfortunately I had to leave the bush (where we were helping constructing the school) 4 days earlier which was a pity but it was the safest way to get back home.
Daniel
Norwich, United Kingdom
University of Kent

Lemurs, hard work and wonderful people

Overall

Earlier this year I spent a fantastic month in Madagascar with Azafady. Arriving in Madagascar I was struck by the difference in wealth and lifestyle, even though I have previously travelled to similarly developed countries. At the same time though, the Malagasy were incredibly friendly and welcoming, and always cheerful despite the daily hardships many of them endure. I also saw a variety of amazing animals during the trip, including several species of the famous lemur, which cannot be found anywhere else in the World.

We spent the majority of our trip out in the bush, working to repair and improve a primary school. With the help of experienced local builders, we worked hard on the school repairs every day, getting about 1 day off a week. Work hours are from straight after breakfast (sweet rice and bananas, surprisingly tasty!) through to lunch, then there is a break during the hottest part of the day, before more work in the afternoon. It is hard work, particularly in the heat, but very rewarding. We spent the evenings out under the stars, with refreshingly cold bucket showers and rice & beans for tea. One difficulty we did all have was traveller's sickness - obviously this is to be expected when on a trip like this though, and the staff/other volunteers were good about taking care of those who did get ill.

During our trip there was also time to visit the nearby town a few times, attending the opening day of a secondary school also built by Azafady, and taking part in events on World Malaria Day. The local children were all extremely friendly and excited, and on one particularly memorable day we even had the chance to teach lessons on English, Health & Hygiene and Environment.

Support from staff both in country and before the trip was outstanding - although Azafady is a charity and does things on a smaller budget than commercial operators, you wouldn't know it. Having done similar trips before I was very impressed at the support given beforehand, and in country they don't disappoint either.

Though it is a cliche, I found my time with Azafady to be an unforgettable, life-changing experience. I don't usually return to the same country twice, but in this case I'm seriously considering it, and if I do, it will be with Azafady.

Occasionally the communication between the builders overseeing the work and the volunteers didn't work too well, so we'd do a task only to have to do it slightly differently or redo it the following day. I think more explanation of the overall plan at the beginning might have helped here.

SEED Madagascar is an award-winning UK registered charity and Malagasy NGO dedicated to supporting the people and ecosystems of Madagascar, one of the most biologically rich but economically poor countries in the world. Our approach is one of co-operation and participation with grassroots communities working to alleviate the effects of poverty and to support viable, environmentally-sensitive development. Our holistic development and conservation projects support some of the world's most vulnerable people in threatened & irreplaceable environments. We offer volunteers the opportunity to get involved in our projects in Madagascar through unique and challenging volunteering programs lasting from 2 to 10 weeks.

Community Photos: