This program is no longer offered. View more programs from World Camp.
World Camp: Service Learning in Malawi

World Camp: Service Learning in Malawi

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from World Camp.

World Camp’s Service Learning Internships offer a rewarding and potentially life changing experience while providing you with practical field knowledge. You will meet inspired people, discover new confidence and develop skills that you never knew you had. We take pride in building strong teams of interns who work with our unique curriculum developed in conjunction with local Ministries of Education, to provide educational and support programming to children and teachers in disadvantaged communities.

Since 2000 World Camp has hosted more than 450 select interns who come from a variety of backgrounds. Over the course of your program, bonds of solidarity and understanding are made among interns, Field Staff, teachers and students. Your fieldwork is based on the needs and understanding of the communities and directly benefits local initiatives.

The focus of your Service Learning Internship is to expand your own knowledge while providing education to local communities. World Camp's Educational Outreach programs are founded with strong sustainability objectives and aim to break the cycle of foreign dependency and empower individuals and communities to achieve self-sufficiency whenever possible.
Your Internship:
World Camp will provide you with the necessary tools to become an effective teacher and a more informed global citizen. The rich material and engaging activities make for fun-filled days that will inspire you and the participants. Our unique program offers a menu of options you can use to expand your knowledge in key public health areas, and access important current technical information to accurately train others, apply in your future careers and use for self-improvement. World Camp's programming combines technical content and experiential learning. You will be challenged with real life situations where you will use your training to address problems in the field. You will be given required and suggested reading and course materials to provide an academic grounding in areas of public health and the environment. World Camp Program Coordinators will host group meetings nightly to provide feedback and guided reflection.
What Sets Us Apart
: World Camp's direct, hands-on approach assures that interns engage locally challenging issues in an effective and rewarding manner. Unlike many other programs, World Camp does not transfer its interns to third-party organizations. World Camp interns are trained, hosted, and directed by experienced, professional staff who work diligently to ensure that camps and other projects are efficient and productive.
  • Teaching: Work alongside fellow team members and trained Field Staff teaching the World Camp curriculum to primary school students in Standards 6-8 and initiating school action plans in Teacher Workshops. You are not required to have previous teaching experience (although it is preferred) only a genuine desire to help others learn.
  • Community Outreach: With your group you will have multiple opportunities to work alongside community members on pre-selected projects Typically these projects include education-based community activities, volunteering in a Crisis Nursery, or conducting programs with children living in the streets.
  • Cultural Immersion and Homestay: Together with your group you will have a true intercultural experience through homestays with local host families. They will introduce you to the local culture, traditions, and cuisine of Malawi. This cultural immersion will provide you with a very different perspective on life, family, time, wealth and community.
Most importantly you will feel the sense of satisfaction that comes from giving back to the welcoming people of Malawi. As your personal World Camp journey unfolds amidst new friendships you will remember jostling down dirt roads and city streets as the sun slowly reveals the magnificence of bright eyed children with two handed waves, women carrying firewood on their heads, bicycle commuters, and eager smiles.
Africa » Malawi
Program Fee: $2700
Includes: Housing, dinners, some lunches, program materials, transportation, support staff.
Does not include: Airfare, most breakfast and lunches, visas, immunizations, travel insurance, safari.

stewjones77
Phoenix, AZ

A life changing experience, personally and professionally!

I volunteered through World Camp, Inc. in 2011. I had heard about the organization through friends, but was most interested in volunteering with World Camp because of their deep commitment to HIV/AIDS education, which aligned well with my long term interests. On a really base level, I applied because I knew that an internship of this nature would be a great way to get an "on the ground perspective" for future jobs in the global health arena. However, upon arriving in Lilongwe in June of 2011, I quickly realized that World Camp was more than just a nice resume boost. My internship with World Camp was truly a moving experience that helped shape both my personal and professional perspective longterm. I walked away with a new understanding of poverty and the role HIV is currently playing in many developing countries, especially Malawi. Personally, I felt that in the two short months I was there, I grew so much as a person. Being exposed to such incredible poverty and disease is definitely challenging, but helped me not only appreciate all that I have, but solidified my desire to continue giving back in countries such as Malawi for the rest of my life. The people of Malawi have exceptional heart. I am forever touched by my experience with World Camp in Lilongwe, Malawi.

Agarrett
Brooklyn, New York
The New School

Volunteering with WC

World Camp is unique, extraordinary program that offers an experience not found within large non-profits or NGOs, which is why, for me at least, it was extremely rewarding and eye opening. I volunteered with WC in the summer of 2009, where not only did I meet and work with truly inspiring individuals, I also learned important lessons about who I am and what I hope to accomplish. Education, especially HIV/AIDs, is vital to developing countries such as Malawi - and I feel that World Camp is one of the few organizations that works directly with the people they are trying to help in order to efficiently come up with hard solutions to tough questions. Now, four years later, I find myself in graduate school studying International Affairs, which I can largely thank WC for inspiring me to get here. I recommend this program to anyone who is looking not only for meaningful work but who is asking tough questions about the world, themselves, and will never settle for an easy solution, because that is not what World Camp is. World Camp is for the believers and for those who will stop at nothing to help.

abeckmann
Chicago
Columbia University

Malawi with World Camp

I volunteered with World Camp in Malawi in 2009 and it totally changed my perspective on so many aspects of life. I had just come from two years of corporate life and felt very unfulfilled. World Camp was just what I needed. The organization did a fantastic job of giving us volunteers a chance to bond, make a real impact in Malawi, and be challenged.

It was inspiring to work along side passionate volunteers and program leaders who pushed me to give more of myself. Everyday I was pushed to my limits while at the same time, rewarded with amazing interactions with my Malawian students. I will never forget the daily joy of singing with our students every morning and afternoon. The memories are too numerous to list!

Overall, I left Malawi with a new mindset. Similar to other posts on here, I returned to the US more aware of the world and the problems that many people face. I gained a sense that I could really make a difference, and World Camp gave me the tools and awareness to continue to do so.

Highly recommended!!!

Longer program!

jbrollier
Houston
Loyola University Chicago

Life Changing

World Camp changed my life - literally. During the economic crisis of 2008 I lost my job due to a layoff. Confused on what my next step was, I decided to volunteer. I learned of World Camp and was on a plane two months later.

I can't really say what my favorite part was - Malawi, my fellow volunteers, or the leaders who guided us through this journey - all had a huge impact on me. When I finally returned to the U.S., I was a different person: more empathetic, more centered, and more in touch with what life is like for those not born in a First World Country.

World Camp is an organization that practices what it preaches: you don't need unlimited funds or big name sponsors to change the world - you just need heart and determination. World Camp embodies both of these.

I wish the program was longer!

MeganMc
Jackson, Wyoming
Old Dominion University

Volunteering with World Camp

I am confident that World Camp is one of the very best International Volunteer programs out there. I have volunteered with several non profits throughout the world, and World Camp was the most organized, professional, and cultivated programs I have come across. I volunteered with World Camp in 2009 and intended on volunteering for 5 weeks. At the end of my 5 weeks, I decided not to return home and participated in the second 5 week program WC offered that summer. My experience was fulfilling and I was developing a better understanding of the culture and focus topics. I had to stay and keep volunteering.

Prior to traveling to Malawi, WC offered pre-program support that was very informative and reassuring. Once in country, the Program Coordinators were extremely helpful when in came to settling in and preparing for the journey ahead. The goals and objectives of the curriculum are very apparent, and the lessons we teach are impactful. However, WC has an open-minded approach and encourages volunteers to give ideas and help to continuously develop a better curriculum. The 4 day camps are well refined and sustainable. As a volunteer, you are given great opportunities to immerse yourself in Malawian culture during camp and outside of camp. World Camp is genuinely concerned about volunteer's experiences, always offering a variety of adventures and team building activities.

I highly recommend World Camp to anyone considering volunteering abroad. It changed my life and will most certainly change yours!

I only had one opportunity per program for a home stay. The home stays are very enriching experiences and I wish I could have had more chances to stay in villages with families.

Scott
Montpelier, VT
Middlebury College

Scott C.

I volunteered with World Camp in 2006 and on and off again from 2008 to 2010. My experience, like every one else I have come across, was amazing. World Camp is well established in Malawi and has relationships with the schools, teachers and kids they work with. This partnership goes a long way towards making their work effective. They're not just an organization that drops in to a community for a few days here and there, they have have relationships that go back, they listen to the needs of the specific communities and because of all that, they are well respected by the people with whom they work.

On the volunteer experience, World Camp keeps you busy. If you're looking for a five week vacation in Africa, this probably isn't the right program for you. You'll be challenged daily by the coordinators, the teachers, the kids, the translators and your fellow volunteers to think critically about the work you're doing and how you can be more effective. World Camp listens to its volunteers and if you have ideas about how to make the program better, there is amble opportunity during and after your volunteer session to make those ideas a reality.

It sounds cheesey to say this, but World Camp is a life-changing experience. Volunteering with World Camp affects every individual differently. But it's an experience that will change you and you'll never be able to forget about Malawi and the people you met there. You might even go back or make a living doing the work that World Camp started you on.

Katy
Washington DC

Amazing experience!

In 2005 I very nervously boarded a plane to volunteer with World Camp in Malawi. Not only did it end up being an incredible 5 weeks, but it quickly became one of the best decisions of my life. Within a few days, I knew why people call Malawi the "Warm Heart of Africa" and that my life was about to change for the better. My summer with World Camp gave me a perspective on the world and development work that no classroom or reading could have done.

Having researched and considered several other volunteer programs, I could not be happier of my choice to work with World Camp. I chose the organization in part because I felt so inspired by the story of how it began. But what really sets the organization apart, is World Camp's unwavering passion for working with people to find sustainable solutions. My undergraduate studies left me critical of the effectiveness of development work and what it really means to 'help' people. Lila Watson captures the distinction, "If you've come to help me, you're wasting your time. But if you've come because you believe your liberation is somehow bound up in mine, then stay, and let us work together." World Camp embodies this idea. And when I think of my time in Malawi, I remember how much the people I worked with and I had an effect on each other.

Five weeks changed my life. World Camp provided an amazing volunteer experience -- a comfortable house, great leadership, a variety of activities and new experiences, and most importantly, the chance to make a real difference. Besides there's nothing like playing games with a bunch of silly kids under the most beautiful African sky.

Jaren
Tainan, Taiwan
University of Regina

Great people. Great program. Great country!

I first volunteered with World Camp in 2008, and instantly fell in love with the program. It provided me the opportunity to work alongside so many truly wonderful and inspiring people, both local Malawians and other volunteers from all over the world. Through World Camp I really got the opportunity to see and experience the best of what Malawi has to offer. Meeting and talking with the people, emersing myself in the culture, and getting out and experiencing the country was without a doubt the most life changing and significant thing I have done in my life. My time with World Camp provided me with the opportunity to unite with other passionate and driven young people to accomplish something simultaneously powerful, beautiful, necessary and fufilling. Being able to witness firsthand the benefit of what I was teaching to those Malawian communities, and seeing how appreciative and grateful the people were to have me there is something I will never forget. It was most certainly the best decision I have made in my life. Not only was I able to give so much to some of the nicest and most deserving people in the world, but I recieved as much or more in return. Volunteering with World Camp is a decision you will never regret. Doing so will provide you with lessons and memories you can carry with you for the rest of your life. I miss all the friendly smiles, the singing and dancing, and the breathtaking sunsets everyday.

reinier
nyc
Columbia University

Reinier World Camp

I volunteered with World Camp in 2009 and had an amazing experience. I had never been to Malawi before but World Camp's staff made me feel comfortable and excited about its efforts in rural primary schools from the very first moment.

I really enjoyed being able to work directly with teachers, students, and community stakeholders in World Camp's communities and I learned a whole lot. My experience gave me a completely different perspective on development that has been really important for me. I think that World Camp is exceptionally strong at providing a great learning experience for its volunteers while at the same time providing its volunteers with the opportunity to conduct meaningful work that I believe has a positive and long lasting impact on the communities it works with.

During my time in Malawi I made many new friends that I am still in touch with today and I think World Camp's staff did a great job at making sure it was also just a really fun 5 weeks. I really recommend this program to anyone interested in learning more about development while conducting great work in Malawian primary schools!

kparsons
Waterville, Maine

My trip to Malawi

My trip to Malawi was exactly what I needed and wanted. I wanted to experience traveling internationally while also helping others. World Camp was the perfect mix. I learned an incredible amount from teaching. More importantly, I learned from the students, teachers, villagers, and my co-volunteers. I will never forget the experience and I cannot wait to return.

The cost was the biggest setback. With fundraising I was able to cut down the cost.

lkduff
Maine

Wonderful Abroad Experience!

I decided not to study abroad during my junior year of college, but I was still interested in experiencing a culture very different from my own. I heard about the World Camp summer session through a friend. It sounded like the perfect combination of volunteer work and traveling. During the summer of 2012, I decided to give it a try! It was a wonderful trip. I loved that I was able to travel and experience another culture (especially through the home stays) while giving back to the communities that were gracious enough to host us. I could not have spent five with nicer people; the other interns, the World Camp staff, and our village hosts were all amazing.

It would be great if the cost was a bit lower. However, you really get a great value for what you pay. The staff (translators, security, caretakers, and program leaders) made the experience incredibly unique. I gained a much deeper understanding of the culture and my environment because of their knowledge. It was so worth the cost!

Tzipora
Ithaca, NY

Two Amazing Summers

I first volunteered on the Youth To Youth outreach program in 2012, and I loved it so much I chose to return to Malawi in summer of 2013 to repeat the program. Over the course of five weeks, I taught students in four different primary schools about HIV/AIDs, Malaria, hygiene/sanitation, and nutrition. Teaching in these classrooms was such a positive experience for me that I am choosing to pursue teaching as a career.
For much of the program I lived in the World Camp house in the city, which was very comfortable. We also did homestays in the rural villages where we taught, which is on of my favorite parts about the program.
Although my parents were apprehensive about sending me to Malawi, they quickly realized that the World Camp staff were wonderful, and were receptive to any problems or concerns that arose during the program, and I was incredibly safe in Malawi.
The two summers I spent in Malawi were life changing, and I definitely recommend the World Camp program to anyone looking for an amazing experience!

Juliette
Monaco

First and most definitely not last volunteer experience

My name is Juliette O'Connor. I am from Monaco and am 15 years old. I volunteered for World Camp in 2013 on the Youth To Youth session that summer.
I cannot imagine a more perfect experience to start my love of traveling. I was only fifteen an therefore the 5 weeks program sounded very hard to me. However the minute i got to Malawi i fell in love. The beauty that comes with being in such a country left me in awe.
The program itself exceeded far beyond any expectations i had. Over the course of three weeks we went and taught in four different schools the basics of HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Nutrition. Our efforts i believe were much appreciated as at every school the headmasters thanked us and asked us when we would be back. It breaks my heart to know that maybe I will never be back, but i strive back at home hoping that one day i shall. My experiences will live on through memories with which i bare a huge joy at having taken part in World Camp.

Karen
Lilongwe, Malawi

Making a Real Impact in Malawi

I volunteered with World Camp in January of 2010 and cannot imagine a better volunteer experience or organization. I participated in a 4-week program in Malawi which was perfect for me as a first time international volunteer. We spent 4 days at each rural primary schools teaching about HIV, environmental degradation, and gender empowerment. World Camp's detailed curriculum and thorough in-country orientation lets teachers and non-teachers alike thrive in the classroom. All the material I received pre-departure was helpful, accurate, and comforting.

World Camp takes a different approach than many similar organizations, and it's an approach I truly respect. World Camp focuses on education, fostering critical thinking, and building local capacity as opposed to infrastructure or handing out small loans. As a result, World Camp students emerge from camps with new information, a more critical worldview, and a wonderful support network at their school. It was an amazing feeling leaving after just four days at a school knowing my students were more empowered and had the tools to become a driving force for change in their own communities.

The volunteer experience is at the heart of World Camp's programming. We were led by two wonderful Program Coordinators whose passion for Malawi, global equality, and education was clear. The volunteer house is in a great location in the city, but we also did a homestay with the families of our students to learn more about rural Malawian life outside school. In addition to teaching, our leaders had great activities planned for us in the evenings and weekends including a beautiful hike up Mt. Nkhoma, opportunities to play with babies at the Crisis Nursery, relaxing afternoons are restaurants with live music, and the chance to shop in local markets.

Volunteer with World Camp - you definitely won't regret it!

I would have enjoyed more homestays than I did, but World Camp has already expanded that aspect of the program and volunteers now spend more time interacting with host families and their students outside of the classroom.

World Camp has developed a curriculum that empowers young people to make healthy decisions, allowing them to be the positive change their communities so desperately need. World Camp is fixing clear targets on the challenges faced in their communities. World Camp is motivating young people