Volunteer Conservation Projects in Malaysia

Fuze Ecoteer run volunteer conservation projects in Malaysia which are their own and they also supporting other NGOs. Fuze Ecoteer conservation projects focus on connecting people with nature, be they a local villager, volunteer, primary aged student to corporate employees. The aim of Fuze Ecoteer is to connect these people with nature with the hope that they will then protect what they have come to love.

• Help our Turtle team to conserve Sea Turtles on a tropical island paradise
  • Enjoy afternoon snorkel surveys while taking photo ID of sea turtles
  • Night patrols under the stars and moon to protect mother turtles who come to lay their eggs
  • Spend your day off lounging on Malaysia’s most beautiful beaches
  • Contribute to our sea turtles database which is vital for the management of a plan for sea turtles conservation

Hi Kock Min, To get to our Perhentian Turtle Project, you can either take an overnight bus from Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) to Kuala Besut OR take a flight from KL to Kota Bharu and then travel to Kuala Besut. At Kuala Besut, you will take a boat to the village. Our team will meet you at the village's jetty.

Great question! Once you send a message or press Apply Now, the provider of this program will receive your message or application, and guide you to the next step. All you have to do is fill out a few details! The entire process should only take a few days and every message will appear in your personal inbox.

You will know within the next few days.

Your message will be sent to the provider who runs this program! You will receive a personal email as well as a message in your Go Overseas Inbox (top right of the page, "Inbox") once the provider responds to your question. At any point, you can ask more questions by pressing View within your Go Overseas Inbox.

• 9-10 rating 87.34%
  • 7-8 rating 11.39%
  • 5-6 rating 1.27%
Peter

A nice programme for understanding the complex nature of conservation.

Really interesting and changes one's thinking. However the length of the program is not enough to do a lot (one needs to train for some of the activities) but it gives an insight on the required activities for conservation of coral reefs and related nature. And during this it provides useful experience, interesting connections to the local people, and lots of fun which we still talk about almost a year later. We actually want to go back to do something even more (less training and more action). Recommended for people who try to do something and want to be involved!

Definitely more activities as time easily passes by and we were there to help.
Lauren

Experience the underwater world and learn how to protect it

To breathe underwater is a magical thing, and this is a great place to do it for the first time! If you’re already a diver, you will also learn a lot as you will be trained in improving your dive skills and being ecologically minded while diving, learn about specific marine life and the challenges they face, and get an intro to scientific diving. Use these skills to support monitoring, clean ups, and maintenance of an artificial reef. For you, you’ll learn a set of skills that you can take anywhere to work to protect the ocean. For the project, the data collected helps to make informed decisions to better protect the marine park. Unique to many conservation projects, you will stay in the village, which is an amazing opportunity to learn about another culture and get to know the local people. I had fun interning with this project and meeting divers from all over the world!

If you can, get any materials ahead of time to study (especially marine organism id). You’ll have trainings there, but it could be fun to have a head start.
Dan

Best Work Placement!

I was a volunteer coordinator for the project from June - November 2017 and it was an incredible experience. I learned so much about turtle conservation and met so many great people during my time there. The work that is done has a real impact on the turtles within the area, we carried out worthwhile research and did our part to protect the local environment. The perhentian islands are a beautiful place to work and the local people are extremely kind, I had an amazing time and would recommend to anyone!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Diving at temple of the sea and seeing many sharks!
Jacob

Perhentian Turtle Project

Dedication. The tea at the Perhentian turtle Project are dedicated to their cause, and do it all the while with a positive attitude. Everyone on that team loved what they were doing and to be able to experience something so special... Recording nesting or feeding turtles... Releasing hatchlings back into the ocean... Was something no one could soon forget. I hope this project flourishes and progresses far into the future. Projects like these will save our marine turtles and keep them among us in years to come.

Adriana

Rainforest Adventure

It was a very unique experience for me. I haven't been to the rainforest before, so it was challenging for me at the beginning, but I am glad I could meet the indigenous Batek tribe. We did a lot of jungle trekking, they thought us how to cook in bamboo, make a shelter (hayak), we have learned a lot about their culture and traditions (I wrote the whole article about Batek).

There is no other way to experience than through the project, so I think it's 100 % worth it!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Actually there were more things which were surprising, like cooking a bamboo, meeting the Batek Tribe, making the hayak, caving,...
Nearly every day there was some surprise!
Lucy

Incredible hands on wildlife project

I was lucky enough to live as an intern at the Perhentian Island Turtle Project and assist with their programme for a few months in 2019. I loved kayaking over to the turtle feeding sight, it is quite a paddle but it certainly keeps you fit. Learning to free dive to take photos of the turtles feeding was great too because you can see up close just how magical these creatures are. However, nothing beats spending nights with the nesting turtles to collect their eggs and releasing hatchlings. The beach is closed off to tourists at night so it feels incredibly special to be there. The sunsets are incredible and in the day you get to relax and catch up on sleep on one of the most pristine and beautiful beaches in the islands. Plus the team and manager Mel were amazing and welcoming, and very knowledgeable about turtles and marine life; I learnt an incredible amount from them. Finally, I found living in the local village a really unique experience. The locals are so welcoming and you really get to live amongst another culture. Yes it might be hot having to cover up more than usual, but I loved being a part of the community and discovering about their beliefs, culture and of course their cuisine. A life-changing experience!

Embrace the culture, step out of your comfort zone
Ranita

Unforgettable Experience!

This program was truely magical! I went with one of my best friends two years ago and we still frequently reflect on our time spent at the Perhentian Islands.
Firstly, the people we met were like no other. All the interns were passionate, fun-loving, enthusiastic and so caring. Everyone working on this project had a common goal of helping the world and it was such a refreshing approach to life. Secondly, it really feels like you are contributing back to this planet when you release the little hatchlings into the ocean. Moments I will never forget. Thirdly, it was simultaneously such a relaxing trip with lots of downtime. However, I would definitely recommend travelling with a buddy so you can spend this time exploring the island together
The absolute trip of a lifetime!!

Provide some more entertainment for time spent at Tiga Ruang - books/board games/crafts
Kai Hao

Malayan Rainforest Station

The sights and sounds of life and biodiversity in the rainforest here are truly captivating. It was an amazing experience having the staff of MRS and people of the Bateq tribe to introduce me to the jungle, wildlife, and the way to appreciate the beauty and resources nature has to offer.

However, the planning and execution of the arranged activities could have been done better by explaining their significance to the volunteers. I was not convinced that the activities were scientifically based, as claimed by the MRS staff and website. Perhaps it was just not made obvious to me. Either way, that was what I would have liked to see and participate in, the scientific research in biodiversity conservation.