Volunteer Conservation Projects in Malaysia

Fuze Ecoteer run volunteer conservation projects in Malaysia which are their own and they also supporting other NGOs. Fuze Ecoteer conservation projects focus on connecting people with nature, be they a local villager, volunteer, primary aged student to corporate employees. The aim of Fuze Ecoteer is to connect these people with nature with the hope that they will then protect what they have come to love.

Program Highlights
  • Help our Turtle team to conserve Sea Turtles on a tropical island paradise
  • Enjoy afternoon snorkel surveys while taking photo ID of sea turtles
  • Night patrols under the stars and moon to protect mother turtles who come to lay their eggs
  • Spend your day off lounging on Malaysia’s most beautiful beaches
  • Contribute to our sea turtles database which is vital for the management of a plan for sea turtles conservation

• 9-10 rating 87.8%
  • 7-8 rating 10.98%
  • 5-6 rating 1.22%
  • Content 10
  • Engagement 10
  • Platform 10
Rachel

Volunteer Conservation Projects in Malaysia

last year, I was inspired to join a volunteer program but I wasn't so sure where to start searching. A friend of mine recommended Fuze Ecoteer's Perhentian Turtle Project and ever since then, it has been the best volunteer program I've ever joined so far. It was definitely eye-opening as it was also hands-on. During the program, I was taught on how to swim and kayak in the open sea, identify turtles and was even lucky enough to get to name a new identified turtle during my program. We lived in village amongst a local community, which is also a unique experience for even for a Malaysian myself who has come from the hustle and bustle of cities. On the 4th and 5th day of the program ,we've also camped at the beach and joined a night watch to watch over the turtle hatchings and released them at night. It was a well structured program for volunteers looking to learn something new and work closely with the program team leads. It was a good combination of volunteer work and relaxation, as you get some downtime to go snorkelling at Perhentian's beautiful and clean waters or just relax by the beach. I had an amazing time and I would definitely recommend anyone to join.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I was honestly afraid when they said that we would have to swim without life-jackets in order to get close to the turtles (although it was not mandatory), but the team leads were very supportive and great at showing how it's done and since then, I was able to learn how to swim in open waters confidently, even without a life jacket.
Peter

A nice programme for understanding the complex nature of conservation.

Really interesting and changes one's thinking. However the length of the program is not enough to do a lot (one needs to train for some of the activities) but it gives an insight on the required activities for conservation of coral reefs and related nature. And during this it provides useful experience, interesting connections to the local people, and lots of fun which we still talk about almost a year later. We actually want to go back to do something even more (less training and more action). Recommended for people who try to do something and want to be involved!

Definitely more activities as time easily passes by and we were there to help.
Lauren

Experience the underwater world and learn how to protect it

To breathe underwater is a magical thing, and this is a great place to do it for the first time! If you’re already a diver, you will also learn a lot as you will be trained in improving your dive skills and being ecologically minded while diving, learn about specific marine life and the challenges they face, and get an intro to scientific diving. Use these skills to support monitoring, clean ups, and maintenance of an artificial reef. For you, you’ll learn a set of skills that you can take anywhere to work to protect the ocean. For the project, the data collected helps to make informed decisions to better protect the marine park. Unique to many conservation projects, you will stay in the village, which is an amazing opportunity to learn about another culture and get to know the local people. I had fun interning with this project and meeting divers from all over the world!

If you can, get any materials ahead of time to study (especially marine organism id). You’ll have trainings there, but it could be fun to have a head start.
Dan

Best Work Placement!

I was a volunteer coordinator for the project from June - November 2017 and it was an incredible experience. I learned so much about turtle conservation and met so many great people during my time there. The work that is done has a real impact on the turtles within the area, we carried out worthwhile research and did our part to protect the local environment. The perhentian islands are a beautiful place to work and the local people are extremely kind, I had an amazing time and would recommend to anyone!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Diving at temple of the sea and seeing many sharks!
Jacob

Perhentian Turtle Project

Dedication. The tea at the Perhentian turtle Project are dedicated to their cause, and do it all the while with a positive attitude. Everyone on that team loved what they were doing and to be able to experience something so special... Recording nesting or feeding turtles... Releasing hatchlings back into the ocean... Was something no one could soon forget. I hope this project flourishes and progresses far into the future. Projects like these will save our marine turtles and keep them among us in years to come.

Adriana

Rainforest Adventure

It was a very unique experience for me. I haven't been to the rainforest before, so it was challenging for me at the beginning, but I am glad I could meet the indigenous Batek tribe. We did a lot of jungle trekking, they thought us how to cook in bamboo, make a shelter (hayak), we have learned a lot about their culture and traditions (I wrote the whole article about Batek).

There is no other way to experience than through the project, so I think it's 100 % worth it!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Actually there were more things which were surprising, like cooking a bamboo, meeting the Batek Tribe, making the hayak, caving,...
Nearly every day there was some surprise!
Lucy

Incredible hands on wildlife project

I was lucky enough to live as an intern at the Perhentian Island Turtle Project and assist with their programme for a few months in 2019. I loved kayaking over to the turtle feeding sight, it is quite a paddle but it certainly keeps you fit. Learning to free dive to take photos of the turtles feeding was great too because you can see up close just how magical these creatures are. However, nothing beats spending nights with the nesting turtles to collect their eggs and releasing hatchlings. The beach is closed off to tourists at night so it feels incredibly special to be there. The sunsets are incredible and in the day you get to relax and catch up on sleep on one of the most pristine and beautiful beaches in the islands. Plus the team and manager Mel were amazing and welcoming, and very knowledgeable about turtles and marine life; I learnt an incredible amount from them. Finally, I found living in the local village a really unique experience. The locals are so welcoming and you really get to live amongst another culture. Yes it might be hot having to cover up more than usual, but I loved being a part of the community and discovering about their beliefs, culture and of course their cuisine. A life-changing experience!

Embrace the culture, step out of your comfort zone
Ranita

Unforgettable Experience!

This program was truely magical! I went with one of my best friends two years ago and we still frequently reflect on our time spent at the Perhentian Islands.
Firstly, the people we met were like no other. All the interns were passionate, fun-loving, enthusiastic and so caring. Everyone working on this project had a common goal of helping the world and it was such a refreshing approach to life. Secondly, it really feels like you are contributing back to this planet when you release the little hatchlings into the ocean. Moments I will never forget. Thirdly, it was simultaneously such a relaxing trip with lots of downtime. However, I would definitely recommend travelling with a buddy so you can spend this time exploring the island together
The absolute trip of a lifetime!!

Provide some more entertainment for time spent at Tiga Ruang - books/board games/crafts