Dog Rescue in Mexico

Spay and Neuter Campaign April 2015
My very first rescue, Tax.
Founders of Amigos Pro Animal and their children with 4 paws! My roomies for 2 weeks.
A rescue dog is nothing but kisses.
A rescue dog is nothing but kisses.
A volunteer examines a rescue cat.
A volunteer examines a rescue cat.
Giving a rescue dog a check up.
Giving a rescue dog a check up.
A puppy with a leg cast!
A puppy with a leg cast!

The large number of feral dogs and cats living on city streets is a global problem. While many of these animals are abandoned pets, most are truly feral – having been born and eventually dying in the streets.

These feral animals live on the edges of society and face many health risks. Starvation and disease result in an average life span of only one to two years. Feral street dogs in particular pose a public health danger through bites and transmission of rabies to people. AEI's partner in Auguascalientes, Mexico is facing this problem head on. Their mission is to reduce the pet overpopulation problem through an ethical and humane program. This organization focuses their efforts on three main objectives.

Their educational campaign promotes responsible pet ownership and targets school-aged children and the general public. Their spay and neuter clinics offer low cost pet sterilization to members of the community.

Volunteers work directly with our vet and educational teams!

• Hands on with dogs.
  • Immersion volunteering- living and volunteering with your new friends and family.
  • Staying in the safest state in Mexico.
  • Suitable for first time volunteers, students and certified veterinarians.
  • One on one travel planning and volunteer training.

Impact

If you spend time in Mexico you will quickly become aware of the stray dogs and cats living in the streets and on the beaches. These animals are in poor health, have little food, and endure extreme heat with very little shelter. Addressing the problems and health issues caused by the overpopulation of street dogs and cats is a huge task. These animals are in need of immediate assistance, and the rescue team and clinic staff are able to respond within their community and offer shelter and medical treatment. Spaying and neutering is not widely accepted in Mexico, which means there is a real need for educating the public and teaching about responsible pet ownership. By working with our partner organization you are supporting their important work in the clinic, helping to find homes for rescued dogs and cats and educating the public.

10% off African Wildlife Fees

Want to journey to southern Africa and help wild animals? Want to see antelope up close as you help with their feeding? Want to make breakfast for owls and dinner for baboons? Want to help improve the quality of life for servals in sanctuary?
We want you to do that, too. Apply to volunteer with us in Malawi before April 30th and we will give you 10% off your fees. Go for two weeks, go for two months, 10% off applies to all Malawi programs.

Georgina

Dog Rescue in Mexico

This project exceeded my expectations. I could not believe the amount of hands-on experience from the very first moment I got there. I went with zero experience and left with the helpful knowledge to volunteer with confidence in other places. I highly recommend this project for any new or experienced volunteer who loves animals and wants to be part of making a difference. Thank you AEI for making this valuable experience possible for me.

It all went very smooth for me
Chanelle

Fantastic Trip - Rewarding Hands on Experience with Animals!!

Earlier this year I traveled to Mexico for a two week volunteer experience through Animal Experience International (AEI). From the very first email sent to AEI and throughout the entirety of my trip even up until today, I have kept in touch with AEI and all my new friends in Mexico! That alone says everything about the communication and open door policy for all parties involved. Two thumbs up! Everything about this trip was rewarding. It was wonderful being able to be a part of a team who share the same passion as you - animals. This amazing organization and all of their volunteers dedicate their lives to helping animals in need. I was able to take part in the preparation and recovery process of animals during their Spay and Neuter clinics and campaigns. I went on the road to experience several animal rescues first hand and attended city meetings regarding animal cruelty with the founders of this amazing rescue organization. Oh! And of course cuddling with animals. This is only to name a few! I was also able to experience their famous Feria de San Marcos, a variety of traditional Mexican cuisine, and visited famous landmarks. I even took a picture standing in the center of Mexico!!! Really cool! Another perfect example of why this was such an awesome life changing experience. I wouldn't change a thing about it!! In fact, I am currently planning another trip with AEI this coming March 2016 - I can't wait!!!!!

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. As I mentioned above, I am currently in the process of planning my second volunteer experience with AEI.