GVI: Volunteer in Mexico

GVI: Volunteer in Mexico

We are proud to launch our new GVI Business Internships Abroad!
Business Internships Abroad are a great way to apply your business management and leadership skills and explore the world while experiencing new cultures and contributing to a sustainable cause and kickstarting your own career!

GVI’s Business Internships are the perfect opportunity to gain valuable, hands-on experience, especially if you are a student majoring in:
- business management,
- human resources,
- accountancy,
- marketing or
- international relations students

Business Interns can look forward to using their theoretical training skills to work in a local community with developing entrepreneurs, assisting them with developing their microenterprise businesses by:
- running hands-on, educational workshops on microenterprise business skills,
- conducting business training initiatives and
- mentoring and guiding small business owners

To apply or find out more about the value of the internships, follow the link below.

You can make a difference when you volunteer with GVI in Mexico! From helping the local wildlife to working with underprivileged children, you can make a difference, as well as immerse yourself in a fascinating new culture. GVI currently offers several different volunteer projects in this diverse destination. With this wide range of volunteering opportunities, GVI is sure to offer something for every type of volunteer in Mexico. Read more about each volunteer opportunity...

Top Volunteer Projects in Mexico:

• Volunteer on Childcare Projects in Mexico: Discover Mexico's lively beach town of Playa del Carmen in the stunning Yucatan Peninsula and volunteer at a children's center run by Save the Children. Provide a safe environment for the children to learn and play and empower them to know and apply their rights.
  • Marine Conservation Expedition in Mexico: Earn your PADI diving certificate when you discover Mexico’s Mesoamerican coral reef and its abundant wildlife. You can be sure your marine conservation efforts are making a serious and valuable impact.
  • Marine Conservation and PADI Divemaster Internship in Mexico: Undergo an extensive training program and gain in-depth knowledge while you gain your PADI Divemaster qualification. This is the perfect start to a career in marine conservation!
  • PADI Instructor Internship: Do you dream of becoming a highly qualified and specialised PADI instructor with extensive marine conservation training? Join our comprehensive, well-rounded training program. Get ready for the marine expedition of a lifetime!
  • Central America Childcare Expedition: Contribute to valuable childcare projects in Mexico and Costa Rica. Help empower young children to know their rights, assist disadvantaged children in understaffed schools and lead extra-curricular art workshops and games.
  • Volunteer Health Project in Mexico: Work alongside Save the Children and volunteer with special needs children using horse therapy, as well as aqua and physical therapy. Discover the stunning Yucatan Peninsula in your free time.
  • Alternative Spring Break Marine Conservation in Mexico: Make the most of your spring break and travel to the stunning Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and volunteer in marine conservation. All our volunteers will get a chance to earn their PADI Open Water qualification on this unforgettable trip. Discover the beauty and adventure Mexico has to offer!
North America » Mexico » Playa del Carmen
North America » Mexico
The volunteer contribution includes airport pick up and drop-off, the first night's hotel accommodation, transport to San Cristóbal, all accommodation and food whilst with your host family, daily transport to and from the community, all materials for lessons (which are reimbursed with provision of receipts), and the fixed program costs, including food and fruit programs.

Hi Elizabeth, It looks like 14 is the youngest age for GVI volunteers but worth sending them an email to inquire!

Calyca
Sherwood Park

GVI Mexico Community Project: Coco's Animal Welfare

This was my first time volunteering abroad, as expected I was incredibly nervous. I had traveled to Mexico before but on completely different circumstances and not to Playa del Carmen, in fact, this was my first time traveling by air alone! I had done as much research as possible on GVI and their Veterinary Project but ultimately I had no idea what was to come. Unfortunately I was only able to go for a week, but it was the most eye opening and adventure filled week I've experienced. The first night was spent in a hostel after that I stayed in the GVI house with everyone involved in the community projects. The house itself was amazing, it felt like a family. Every night we all joined together for dinner, each night we took turns cooking and all pitched in for clean up after. The veterinary project is the first up in the morning, we met a Coco's staff member at a near by gas station that drove us to the clinic, then we worked at the clinic until we were done for the day. At the clinic we would first clean the adoption rooms (which really meant we played with kittens for a couple hours) then we would help the operations. There are two stages, prep and recovery, because of my background in veterinary medicine I was mostly involved in prepping the animal for their spay/neuter. Once done for the day we would typically walk back to the GVI house, which was a long hot walk.. This experience has only fueled my love for travel, medicine and volunteering. I thank GVI for that.

Everything was amazing, the only thing I felt unprepared for was the amount of walking. I love walking, but I've never walked in +40 degrees Celsius with over 70% humidity - I was always sticky. A little more detail about the transportation would have been the cherry on top.

Kate
Sydney

Whatever You Take Away

Whether you come from a background in healthcare/dealing with people with disabilities or not, this project will open you up to a whole new world. Volunteering in a small school set up by local mothers who wished to provide their children with disabilities better educational opportunities, the love and care that is expressed through every therapy, every lesson, will stay with you forever. You will learn a huge range of new skills and likely have the opportunity to also visit other local GVI projects (childcare, vet project) depending on your length of stay.
The opportunity to experience a new culture and learn a new language is unforgettable and grows you as a person whether you are a mature, well-traveled volunteer, or have never left your home town.
Playa as a location is stunningly beautiful, well-equipped and full of everything you need to enjoy your days and weekends. Close to beautiful cenotes and islands full of treasures, ruins and nearby beach towns offer a huge range of day trips or weekend ventures.

Andy
Mexico City

Adventure Time

If you like adventures this is the place for you. These types of programs were you are able to help improving the enviorment and the community of a certain region are really rewarding.

The 3 months I lived in Pez Maya were breath taking. And althought we live in a really austere environment (with no electricity or runnung water) I fell in love with the place. You wake up with beautiful sunrises and go to sleep watching amazing sunsets. Every day you have the oportunity to dive in the deep blue sea were, if you are lucky, you can encounter all kinds of creatures, like dolphins, sharks, turtules and a lot of colorfull fishes... it´s amazing.

The activities we did for the program were really fun. We help cleaning the beaches of Sian Kaan, we went to Punta Allen town to give english classes to kids and adults, we help with the turtule project looking for eggs to make sure they were in a seafe place. But, the most important thing we did, actually the main purpose of this volunteering project, was helping in the study of the coral reef. We dive almost every day two times a day and I have to say... this is a really good way to spend your holidays.

So if you like science, diving and beautiful sceneries this is the place for you. I really recommend coming here to anyone who needs a good change in their life

emilyas
Santa Cruz, CA
Thunderbird School of Global Management

Life's a beach...

Imagine living on a Caribbean beach miles down a bumpy dirt track in the middle of the jungle... make sure you paint in the palm trees, the sun, the sand, a blue vastness of sky and sea and to ground the image a bit be sure to remember the bug spray. This is life at Pez Maya. Day to day your life is distilled in the most amazing way down to: what are my chores? when am I diving? when am I diving again? and what's for dinner? However, days are surprisingly full. You and your fellow international community of volunteers are responsible for much of the goings on and operation of the base helped along and instructed by the highly knowledgeable and skilled staff. Your knowledge of marine life and science will increase, you will become a better diver, you will McGyver dinners together from the simplest of ingredients (you may find yourself pursuing the elusive leftover porridge cookie) and you may dance the night away under the stars. Potential challenges you will encounter: stormy weather, mastering the art of flushing the toilet with a bucket, close quarters, and isolation. BUT it is absolutely worth it.

I am so glad I participated in this program! I met some great friends, had some great times and now have some great stories. Truly a unique experience!

GVI is an award-winning organisation that tackles critical local and global issues by operating education and training programs on sustainable development projects around the world.

Formed in 1997, we have been operating our award-winning programmes for over two decades and over 25,000 participants have volunteered