San Miguel de Allende School for Special Education

San Miguel de Allende School for Special Education

The school provides a unique and stimulating Special Education volunteer experience in a beautiful Latin American setting, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. There are no publicly funded schools for Deaf children in Mexico, therefore this caring, non-profit school was opened to teach Mexican Sign Language and written Spanish to Deaf children who would otherwise not receive an education.

If you are a person who would be a good role model, have a background in special ed., sign language or have teaching skills, you would be a valuable asset; perhaps even as a teachers aide. If you don't have these special skills but have other talents to offer in such areas as photography, arts and crafts, computer literacy, music, jewellery making, or even cooking/baking, gardening or others, we could use your help working with the students during afternoon workshops.

North America » Mexico
In-country staff support

Kristyn
Phoenix Arizona

I Love My Time at EEE!

I will miss the school community so much. I loved getting to know the students and staff. My favorite part was working in the kitchen, since I got to learn so many Mexican recipes and Spanish cooking phrases. I also enjoyed learning Mexican Sign Language since it helped me connect with the students and become good friends with them. I also enjoyed getting to know beautiful San Miguel, making friends in the city, and practicing my Spanish in public. The whole experience was unforgettable and made me grow a lot as a person. I would recommend this experience to everyone!

Lizzie
Phoenix Arizona

Unforgettable experience

My time at EEE was something I know I will never forget. The students and the teachers are such spirited people and working with them every day was something that helped me grow personally, and I can imagine my time here helped the students as well! It's an amazing program and I can only see it growing. The students have so much potential and I really do hope to come back in the near future and see them all again. Learning sign language in a different language was challenging, yet so rewarding. Being able to communicate with the students on a daily basis in a way that's different from what I'm used to made me really appreciate what this school is providing for them. I know these kids will go places, and I'm glad I got to be a part of their journey and them a part of mine.

Maddy
St. Augustine, Florida
Flagler College

EEESMA

I visited the school about a week ago,and I had a great experience. I shadowed the teachers for one day, then I taught in the classroom for the other three days. I loved all of the students and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I feel it is a program that has the potential to be great and I look forward to my next visit!

I think the teachers should attempt to implement more activities in the classroom that involve the students more. I have noticed a lot of what they do is memorization and desk work. I think everyone is extremely motivated and I believe that if the teachers implemented more critical thinking exercises, the students would definitely benefit. The teachers are great, and I can tell how much they care about the students!

EEE is the only school for special education in the State of Guanajuato, and is currently focused on providing education for Deaf and Hard of Hearing children and youth. There are no publicly funded schools that offer special education for children with special needs in