Volunteer in Mexico - Adelante Abroad

Volunteer in Mexico - Adelante Abroad

Save $150 During International Education Week
In honor of IEW, all new applicants who apply by November 17th get $150 off toward their 2018 Spring internship (February – May)!

Spend 2-6 months in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico, Spain, or Uruguay. Customized placements, housing, and Spanish language courses included in program costs.

Volunteer in Colonial Oaxaca, Mexico for complete language, community and cultural immersion. Oaxaca is one of the most biodiverse areas in Mexico and is known for the amazing ARTS produced there by local and ex-pat artists, and for the FOOD, which has a whole festival dedicated to it (the Guelaguetza)!

Adelante's volunteer abroad program combines the career focus provided by internships, with the social orientation found in volunteer work. With Adelante, you can volunteer in sectors such as law, healthcare, the arts, psychology and even historical renovation work (visit Adelante's site for a complete list of fields).

In addition to working in Oaxaca, the program includes Spanish classes + some cultural excursions. Your own room, living with a local or in a shared guesthouse, is also included. If you're looking to make a difference, take advantage of this perfect opportunity to do a volunteer program in Mexico!

For a full list of volunteer projects in Mexico, click on "Visit Site" or if you're ready to fill out an application, click on "Get Started" above. Adelante's support team is excited to hear from you!
  • We are the most affordable (housing included). Do your research, nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. You'll live in Oaxaca near your work placement in a fully-furnished apartment with WiFi.
  • Volunteer in the field of your choice. Gain solid international career experience by working in a company and field that interests you. We have participating companies in 30+ professional sectors with customizable placement options.
  • Intensive Spanish language classes. We prepare you for your internship with two weeks of intensive Spanish language classes based on your Spanish speaking level. No extra charge, it's included in your program.
  • A welcome arrival. We'll pick you up at the airport, take you directly to your housing, and provide an orientation session with our program director to get you acclimated to beautiful Oaxaca.
  • Curated Experience. Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group focused. Our on-site staff in Oaxaca and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you may.
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca
North America » Mexico
Winter
Year Round
This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.

Durian
Colorado Springs, Colorado

The Ultimate Job Shadow

I was originally looking for a program where I could improve my Spanish. I searched and searched, and came across Adelante Abroad. Not only could I improve my Spanish, but I could intern in whatever field I wanted and get real-life work experience! It was the perfect combination. Before I went to work with ecology in Oaxaca, Mexico with Adelante, I was unsure of what I wanted to study or do with my life. After experiencing plant life on a new level, I realized that is what I want to study. My experience with Adelante clarified many things about myself career-wise, and also personal-wise. I am very appreciative of my experience, and Oaxaca is incredibly beautiful!

I would say the program dates could be more flexible, but it was not really a big issue. I loved everything about the program.

Audley
Colorado

Quiero regresar a Oaxaca otra vez!

I had a great experience. My Spanish improved tremendously after only 2 weeks of classes. The city is small and the people are wonderful. The climate is nice too; it's not too hot and there are not a lot of bugs. The city is very close to a lot of interesting historical sites, and there is so much to do in the city center! I was there during the big festival in July, the Guelaguetza, and that is the time to go! The city is hopping all the time with cultural activities and markets. The Adelante staff were very helpful and friendly as well, but they weren't constantly getting involved, which I greatly appreciated. They don't hold your hand, but they were there if you needed them, so I was able to really experience the city in my own way. I know that the work experience differs based on which internship you pursue, but personally I enjoyed my work assignment; I learned a lot and felt very involved. I worked a good amount but was not overworked. Overall, it was incredible! I can't wait to go back again!

The program states that it starts on the first of each month, but actually the start & end dates were slightly different than what they said.

Raquel
Long Beach, California
Dominican University of California

Go to Oaxaca

I loved the city of Oaxaca and everything it had to offer. While here I made some great friends and had eye opening experiences. The city of Oaxaca is very safe. I always felt safe walking around the streets. Also Oaxaca is a great place to learn Spanish and experience the Mexican culture.

Expectations of Oaxaca, specially the weather. Since Oaxaca is mountains of Mexico, the weather is not what most people imagine. At nights it gets cold and rains a lot. I was told the weather in Oaxaca would be very hot but that wasn't the case most of the time.

melissacatherine221
Oaxa, Oaxaca
The New School

Mexico!

I personally had a very positive experience. Adelante provided with me with what I needed (housing, volunteer job, language classes). For me, things went quite smoothly. I know from a couple of other girls, when their volunteer jobs they met some trouble so I think I was lucky in the fact that I had everything set up well before hand. This program worked well for me because I prefer being more indpendent. Other people I had spoken to I think expected a bit more of a hands on approach. I would recommend this program to anyone who prefers working and establishing their own life in Oaxaca as if their were moving to a new city, alone, anywhere else in the world.

Internship, Volunteer, Semester & Summer Study Abroad Programs define Adelante Abroad's menu of offerings and expertise. Choose to intern overseas in Spain, Ecuador, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico, or Scotland. With year round start dates, Adelante is sure to provide a travel program that's right for you!