• Mexico

Spanish
Summer Winter Year Round

Pricing

$2,495 USD
This Adelante program includes a volunteer or internship placement in your sector of interest, airport pick up, housing, 2 weeks of intensive Spanish classes, and 24/7 access to your local Program Director.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
May 13, 2020
Jul 08, 2021

Volunteer in Colonial Oaxaca, Mexico for complete language, community, and cultural immersion. Oaxaca is one of the most biodiverse areas in Mexico and is known for the amazing ART produced there by local and ex-pat artists, and for the FOOD, which has a whole festival dedicated to it -the Guelaguetza!

Adelante's volunteer abroad program combines career focus provided by internships, with the social orientation found in volunteer work. With Adelante, you can volunteer in sectors such as law, healthcare, art, psychology, and even historical renovation work. Visit Adelante's site for a complete list of fields.

In addition to working in Oaxaca, the program includes Spanish classes + some cultural excursions. Your own room, living with a local or in a shared guesthouse, is also included. If you're looking to make a difference, take advantage of this perfect opportunity to do a volunteer program in Mexico!

Program Highlights

• We are the most affordable (housing included). Do your research, nearly all other programs are at least DOUBLE the price. You'll live in Oaxaca near your work placement in a fully-furnished apartment with WiFi.
  • Volunteer in the field of your choice. Gain solid international career experience by working in a company and field that interests you. We have participating companies in 30+ professional sectors with customizable placement options.
  • Intensive Spanish language classes. We prepare you for your internship with two weeks of intensive Spanish language classes based on your Spanish speaking level. No extra charge, it's included in your program.
  • A welcome arrival. We'll pick you up at the airport, take you directly to your housing, and provide an orientation session with our program director to get you acclimated to beautiful Oaxaca.
  • Curated Experience. Our programs are meant for the independent traveler and are not group focused. Our on-site staff in Oaxaca and the US are available throughout your program, and you can truly immerse yourself in the culture however you may.

Thomas

3 Month Business Internship in Oaxaca

I had an incredible 3 months doing a business internship in the beautiful city of Oaxaca.
Oaxaca is one of the best places in the world, you will fall in love with the city very quickly. The food is amazing, the weather is hot, the people are incredibly friendly, the city is safe and the scenery is 10/10 everywhere you look!

Over the 3 months I have gained valuable experience in business and in learning Spanish - it is genuinely the best way to learn! My colleagues were incredibly accommodating of me and I feel like I have gained a lot of experience from working with them.

Adelante organised everything very quickly and the communication was great whenever I had a concern or a question I needed answering. I cannot recommend it enough!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would stay for longer!! I have fallen in love with Oaxaca.
Belinda

Graphic Design Internship - Adelante Abroad

My Graphic Design Internship through Adelante Abroad aligned with my values and what I was looking for in a first internship experience.This was an important experience for me focusing more on what I am looking for in my career and the workplace itself. I am grateful to have been apart of this program especially outside of the United States (and in Oaxaca, Mexico) to learn about how it is to work outside of my primary comfort zone. This not only helped me find different ways to communicate with others but also how to work with different types of people.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could do this all over again, the one thing I would change would be of course when I went on this program. I went to Oaxaca for this internship and my internship ended up being remote. I, of course would have wanted this internship to be in person but in actuality the only reason I was able to have this amazing experience is because of the pandemic.
Marianne

Brilliant Experience

The teachers I had in the first 2 weeks were great and shared useful tips on local hot spots. I found this to be an invaluable introduction to my time in Oaxaca and a great way to meet new people.

Equally my internship at a printing studio was fabulous and I feel it greatly contributed towards my competence in Spanish.
The housing with Irma, Octavio and Leti the cleaner was one of my favourite things about my experience as they made me feel so welcome and really helped me settle in with ease.

Oaxaca is a beautiful place, just the right size to explore and close to many other must see locations. I would love to go back!

Emily

A Great Overall Experience

I spent two months in Oaxaca de Juarez with the Adelante volunteering program for working with kids. My time there was amazing, being able to experience local life and history of the state. The housing location was in a great spot, and my landlord was unbelievably kind. My time at the language school was also great as I met and made wonderful friends from around the world and also received a one-on-one tutor which helped me immensely. I also met great people at my internship. The program truly opens you up to many differing walks of life and exposes you to so many new things - not just originating from Oaxaca. The trip being my first solo travel forced me to become independent and actually rely on myself instead of using others as a travel-buddy crutch. When Adelante says that the program is for independent travelers, they're not kidding. This is where I point out the major lack of communication. I won't go into detail, but the program really is like moving to a foreign place by yourself and figuring everything out by yourself. There were a few rough patches but I didn't let them bother me during my time there. You'll run into problems, like no water or power, but you adapt and overcome. I really enjoyed my experience both the good and the bad, but if lack in communication and cultural confusion bothers you I wouldn't recommend this type of program.

I would improve the communication between US Adelante, OAX Adelante, the internship and the candidate.
Haley

Volunteering in Oaxaca

What one pays for, essentially, with Adelante, that one couldn't find by themselves, is great contacts. It's difficult to find internships in other countries for a variety of reasons and Adelante does all the hard work for you. Adelante also helps to provide an essential structure to this internship, defining the number of work hours, the assigned tasks and expectations. This is incredibly important, as so much of the experience is unstructured and up to the volunteer.

Making the language classes optional.
Ella

Great Experience

This program was perfect for me, and it was a great way to get to know a new city. It made the transition to living in another place as easy as it really could be — finding me housing, an internship, and contacts within the city that could answer any questions or help show me around. The internship was a fantastic fit, which really showed how much Adelante listened to what I wanted from the experience, as well as they attention they payed to what skills I already had. I learned a lot, met many new people, and got to know the amazing city. I even decided to move back to Oaxaca for the rest of the year to work at the art studio where I was previously interning!

There is a 2 week Spanish school that I would have skipped if possible, but that part of the program is probably helpful to others.
Rachel

Oaxaca Review

I've had an unforgettable experience. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in culture and learning Spanish. Definitely take advantage of the school, Don Quijote, it is a great spot to make friends, and generally a great resource for getting to know the city and the main attractions.

all depends on how intelligent the intern is and how good they are with people and culture shock. A program can be the best in itself but if the participant either doesn't make an effort or does not have social intelligence, then it could be a difficult adjustment.

Overall, a positive attitude and a sense of adventure don't hurt!

Allow intern to choose internship. But then again, it's just as fun seeing what you end up getting. Also wish school lasted longer than 2 weeks or at least had an option for a longer period.
Durian

A Summer of Learning

I had a very positive experience. After the two weeks of Spanish classes, my Spanish improved tremendously! I was able to do an entire interview with my supervisor in Mexico all in Spanish! The immersion was great to help me become linguistically functional in an hispanic environment, not to mention I learned a lot about Mexican culture and political issues. It was a very eye-opening and exciting summer, and the people were very helpful.

It was honestly great. I guess the flexibility of the dates could be improved, although it was not really a big issue.