VolunQuest is proud to be the only private organization that allows volunteers to participate as teachers in the public school systems in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico. Our volunteer teachers teach the national English curriculum to students during regular school hours, and work alongside the full time teachers of Isla Mujeres. We offer a 2-3 week Teacher Training, a 4-week TEFL certification program or a 5-month and 10-month TEFL Gap Year program.
All of our volunteers go through an orientation, professional teacher training, have continuous supervision, are given access to materials and resources, as well as are provided with a teaching certification from the Secretary of Education, accredited by the Mexican Ministry of Education. This is a unique opportunity for volunteers to gain invaluable experience and references, all while seeing that they are committing themselves to a project that is truly sustainable and making a real difference in the community.
- A Teaching Certificate through the Mexican Ministry of Education (4 week program minimum) or Accreditation certificate for teaching hours earned (2 or 3 week program)
- Full immersion into the local community
- Collaborative lesson planning and material creation
- Access to office materials which include school supplies, a printer/copy machine, printer paper, teaching materials, etc.
- A letter of recommendation upon successful completion of the program
Our goal is to provide an exemplary teacher training experience abroad that mutually enriches the local community and the lives of our program participants. We accomplish this by fulfilling the need for English teachers in the public primary schools of Isla Mujeres with aspiring teachers looking to gain valuable experience and an unrivaled TEFL teacher certification abroad. For the children in this popular tourist destination, learning English is a necessity, not a luxury. Our students need to learn English in order to become successful members of their economy and society.