WorldTeach: Volunteer Teaching in Morocco

WorldTeach: Volunteer Teaching in Morocco

In Morocco, WorldTeach summer volunteers teach English and Life Skills to under-served teens and young adults. Placements are in the cities of Casablanca, Rabat, and Fes, where volunteers work with organizations in the slum areas serving orphans and troubled youth.

Volunteers live with host families to see more of life in this fascinating country described by the late King Hassan II as being “like a tree whose roots lie in Africa but whose leaves breathe in Europe.” Note: Volunteers will experience the entire month of Ramadan in this Muslim country, although they need not observe the fast and host families will make arrangements for the noon meal.

With our summer program, you can also become TEFL certified to earn credibility and give you an edge in the ESL teaching job market. While certification usually costs about $1,899, with WorldTeach you can become certified for FREE while also gaining priceless in-country teaching experience.

Africa » Morocco » Casablanca
Africa » Morocco
Project Types
Your cost includes pre-departure information and preparation, overseas medical and emergency evacuation insurance, one week in-country orientation as well as a mid-service and end-of-service conference, 24-hour field staff support, room and board, and alumni support.

Amber
Boston, MA
Denison University

Shukran Bizeffff

I absolutely LOVED my teaching experience in Morocco. I had a wonderful host family, amazing students, and there was never a dull moment. To begin, my first week in Morocco was considered the orientation/training week, which was helpful. During orientation we learned about Moroccan culture, values, things to expect, how to bargain, some language skills and towards the end a little teaching skills. The following week we were sent off on our "missions" to teach, and I can confidently say that I was lucky! My host family placement was wonderful; I had host grandparents, parents, siblings my age, an aunt, nephews and even a little brother. My host family was so welcoming, loving, willing to teach me different things and also willing to learn. We shared many laughters over meals and I was able to master many Darija words quickly. My students, like I said, were amazing. Some were difficult to teach, but others were eager to learn.
I had great support from three young men of the community and because of them I learned so much about Morocco. We took weekly adventures like dinner on the beach, exploring the Medina, or having family dinners during Ramadan. Although I had a great experience in Morocco, there is no denying that this trip was extremely challenging. Volunteers will have the best time if they are resilient, self-motivated and open-minded. My school did not have a strict curriculum, so everyday I taught based on the needs and skills of my students and my creativity. Adjusting to the Turkish toilet, a different culture and the blazing hot sun during Ramadan isn't easy, but it is worth it because you get to spend that time with people who truly appreciate your work and presence. If you are looking for a demanding, but rewarding summer, Morocco is definitely your place. Enjoy!

This program can be improved through better preparing the support staff in Morocco; I think maybe even having more than one support staff would be great!

Patrick
Notre Dame, IN
University of Notre Dame

An Unforgettable Summer in the Western Kingdom

Perhaps the singular moment that best embodied my Moroccan experience was the commute to school on my very first day as a teacher: my host brother accompanied me out of his flat to the nearby street, where a horse-drawn carriage was waiting for us! As I sat in the carriage, I smiled to myself at how utterly insane my life had become, at how odd it was that commuting by horse-drawn carriage was normal (as it is in that neighborhood of Casablanca; a single ride cost only 25 US cents), at how strangely charming the whole thing was. This is, in fact, how I would describe my whole experience in Morocco: surreal, insane, bizarre, almost unbelievable, but beautiful too, and something that I will take with me for the rest of my life.

No, the program is not comfortable by any means. The "toilets" were holes in the ground. I got bit rather frequently by mosquitoes and sandflies. I felt somewhat anxious every time I got into a car, because traffic in a developing country is rather ridiculous. Privacy is not a thing. But that experience taught me that the Western comforts to which I had grown accustomed do not actually matter. What mattered was knowing that in some small way, my presence in Morocco enabled my students to further themselves. The satisfaction of seeing students progress was immense.

The WorldTeach program in Morocco is not for everyone. You need to be headstrong, self-motivated and very willing to adapt. You really need to know going into it that there will be moments (likely quite a few) in which you will feel pretty isolated and lonely. But if you're willing to take the leap, it's an experience that will not only help the local communities in Morocco but will also, hopefully, make you a better person.

The program does need to be better organized.

Molly
Columbia, SC
University of Georgia

Teaching Life Skills

Through WorldTeach, I taught life skills and English classes in a community center in Sidi Moumen, Casablanca. I lived with a host family, which was ideal. The family and community members were extremely supportive and welcoming. I had 4 classes of about 20-30 students. My students were primarily older, and their prior language exposure varied greatly from one class to another. I would highly recommend the program for those looking to teach older students in a community setting. Because it is the summer, you are not typically placed in a school or teaching content outside of English.

I loved this program, though I would have loved to have more knowledge about my classes before placement, so as to prepare beter.

WorldTeach was founded in 1986 by a group of Harvard students who were motivated by the desire to promote local education initiatives in places where teachers and resources were lacking. Today, we continue to provide opportunities for individuals to serve as volunteer teachers around the