Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Morocco from $245

Watching the sunset over Chefchaouen
Watching the sunset over Chefchaouen
Class with ILCS
Class with ILCS

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Morocco and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 6 volunteer project options in Morocco and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a homestay, with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Morocco, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Morocco program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $245 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 5 and 15 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Morocco each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

I was in Morocco for five months and saw many volunteers only stay for 1 or 2 weeks. I recommend not doing the Teaching English program for such a short stay because students really need a steady teacher. Have fun!

Raul

Morocco with International Volunteer HQ: best experience ever

My time in Morocco with International Volunteer HQ was everything I expected, and much more! The support network provided by the program's staff was incredible, they were available and open to any questions, whether it was about volunteer placement, cultural adjustment, top things to do in the city, travel tips, and anything in between.

One of the major highlights of my time in Morocco, though, was definitely my host family. Being immersed in a traditional Moroccan family setting during the holy month of Ramadan was life-changing to me. The family was extremely welcoming (as expected of everyone in Morocco), they made me feel very comfortable, and were also very helpful when it came to recommendations of things to do in Rabat and the rest of Morocco, how to go about daily life in the country, and more. Not to mention the absolutely delicious food!

When it comes to my volunteering experience itself, it was truly transformative. I worked as an English instructor at an NGO called "Le Feminin Pluriel," where I taught a group of around 18 adults (both men and women). As a non-native English speaker who hadn't taught English before, I have to admit that I went into the experience nervous and with a little bit of fear. Everything turned out to be perfect, the students said they really liked my lessons and that they were going to miss me having around as they felt that their English improved a lot while I was there. I was happy I took the challenge!

The selection of volunteering places by International Volunteer HQ is top notch, and I say that not only based on my own experience but on that of other IVHQ volunteers I met while in Morocco. They were in different programs and they all shared similar stories to mine, saying that they enjoyed their time and felt like they were having a significant impact on those they were serving, which is what volunteering is all about. With that said, I can't wait to participate in another International Volunteer HQ program soon!

This is advice for travel in general, but time flies by so please make sure you take advantage of it! Go to Chefchaouen in the north, I had the best time up there. Watching the sunset over the blue city and the mountains from the Spanish Mosque is something I'll think about for the rest of my life.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Raul, thanks for taking the time to complete this review for us! It is great o hear that you enjoyed the cultural immersion of being with a local family, and I could not agree more about the food - so amazing!!!

I am sure you made as much of an impression on your students as they made on you. The students local team and IVHQ appreciate all the time and the hard work you put into your class time.

It sounds like you made the most of everything Morocco has on offer, and we can't wait to have you volunteer again with IVHQ!

- Claire, IVHQ Program Manager

Cecilia

IVHQ: Victoria Falls Conservation Program, Zimbabwe

I had the pleasure of volunteering at the Nakavango Program in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe (through IVHQ). I've done a fair amount of traveling in my life but this was my first time going to Africa. I didn't feel nervous at all about going (alone) and I give credit to IVHQ. They provided all the necessary tools to help prepare me on my trip.

The Nakavango Program is like this hidden gem nestled in Victoria Falls. I wish more people knew about it because the work they do is incredible, and since I've gotten back, I've been sharing my experience not only to my friends and family, but also to strangers!

I loved everything about the program-- the camp outs, the game drives, the sundowners, the conversations with the guides and property manager. And I enjoyed not only the 'fun stuff' but the hard work that we did, as well: the weed removals, the digging of trenches, the maintaining of roads, the turning of the compost, etc.
Best of all, though, was the people that I met-- the volunteers who came from all over the world, each with their own unique story to tell, and also the guides and property manger who showed such passion in what they do, it was nothing short of admirable.

I found this program to be PERFECT!
Although-- some might argue that there was too much downtime throughout the day... However, I find people who felt that way, were those who didn't take advantage of what they could have done, if only they had just taken the initiative. There is a nearby town that you could visit, you can talk to the property manager (who made himself available every day) and talk endlessly about wildlife (and other topics), you can also socialize with the staff and learn about their culture and lives which, I'm sure, is bound to be much more different than yours.
Sharifa

IVHQ is a trusted platform!

Just returned from my one week volunteering trip in Morocco and started to plan for my next trip to the same destination but for a longer time! Can't wait for that!

I had some concerns before joining specially that I am a solo female traveler but IVHQ team did a great job in properly organizing my trip in a way that contributed in its success! Morocco was too safe with me and even for you if you use your common sense and it is totally worth it and Moroccans are too friendly and willing to learn.

If you think about volunteering through IVHQ in morocco don't think much and don't hesitate, just go a head and join as it is fully professional and fully trusted and you wont regret! Who knows we might meet once there and enjoy it together!

Best of luck!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Staying for a longer time, make more effort during volunteering hourse, exploring the other cities in morocco.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to write your review Sharifa! It was a pleasure to help you prepare for the program, the time you put into your week was vey much appreciated; and we would love to have you back again in the future. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kiara

IVHQ Morocco

Thanks to IVHQ, my experience in Morocco was truly remarkable. I worked on the childcare project, and was placed in a small school located in a medina. I had so much fun teaching the children English. They learned the English alphabet, colors, shapes, body parts and so much more. I also allocated time so that they could play some traditional American games, which they absolutely loved.
One of the highlights of this experience was living with a host family! I was fully immersed in Moroccan and Arab culture. I learned some Arabic and French words, ate the traditional dishes and learned what daily life was like in Morocco. Without a doubt, IVHQ made my experience in Morocco worthwhile and I am truly grateful for all of the support that received from my program manager.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the immersion and learning more about Moroccan and Arabic culture while helping the children learn, and of course play games! The local team and your placement loved having you, and appreciated all the preparation and work you put in. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Sarah

No Need to Look Further Than IVHQ

As I sit here preparing to embark on another volunteer journey with IVHQ I can't believe how lucky I am to have stumbled upon their website six years ago. There is no reason for me to look anywhere else for volunteer opportunities. IVHQ has so many unique programs to choose from in so many destinations.

From the very first step of simply researching to the final steps of applying an booking travel their staff was always available and willing to assist with any questions that may have arisen.

Volunteering in Victoria Falls with IVHQ was life changing. The local staff is so friendly, knowledgeable, and organized. There was never a moment that you were unsure of what a difference you were making to the Nakavango Wildlife Conservation Center and the local community.

Not only was the work that you were doing meaningful it was also so educational. Afternoon were often spent talking with the manager of the conservation center learning about the history of Victoria Falls, the different species of animals, and all of the plans that the conservation center has for bettering the community that they are located in.

For sure there was a lot of fun to be had in the moments when you were not shoveling wheelbarrows of rocks and sand to create more passable roadways so the rangers could better patrol the center to watch for poaching activity. Some of the best moments were sitting by the fire on Thursday evenings while camping where everyone would share personal stories about themselves and chat about the work that was accomplished during the day. All of this while watching the most amazing "sun downers" and hearing the wildlife in the background.

Have no reservations about booking anyone of IVHQ's wonderful and life changing volunteer trips.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks Sarah! We have loved having you on our programs and appreciate the time and hard work you put in each time. It sounds like you had an amazing time, and it is great that you had the opportunity to learn more about the ongoing conservation work at the same time. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Tianyuan

The whole vic falls program is too amazing to be real

The whole vic falls program is too amazing to be real.
I spent one month in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe with IVHQ, doing wildlife conservation program in Stanley and Livingstone private game reserve.
I got in contact my lovely program manager Claire before my trip. She is patient and answered all my emails and questions with everything she knows. After I got there I met the local respondent Justin, pro guides Griff and Dean and Game manager Ian and other staff. They are all so friendly,knowledgeable and hardworking.
As the work part of my program I do game drives early in the morning and sometimes walk to track animals. I also build roads, help school and remove bad plants. While working I get to see and know the life and current situation of many animals. It’s a great way to learn and grow.
As the fun part I do all kind of activities and entertainments such as gorge swing and white water rafting on weekends. I got to see the Vic Falls several times but the shock is every time the same. It’s a wonder.During one month I’ve made friend with other volunteers. They’re open minded, friendly and willing to share and communicate. Everyone has become a indispensable part or the team that we’ve decided we will visit each other’s country and have reunions one day.
During my stay I enjoyed the accommodation and food so much. They are the best of all the volunteer programs. And surly no worries about the political problems and health and security. I learned and grew so much from this program.This is definitely the one I’m going back again.

No, everything is perfect but be careful about the political and security situation of the country.
Dalia

IVHQ is the Best

The programme is fantastic, I loved it from the day 1. All activities was properly planned and we all enjoyed participating. The work was planned so well, that you do not feel knackered at the end of the day.
Staff is so knowledgeable, it beyond belief. I got to learn so many things about predators, vegetation, birds etc.. Food was also amazing, and catered to your needs (if any)
IVHQ was amazing in supporting me throughout the trip, they answered all emails and queries I had in no time. It was absolute pleasure!!!! RECOMMEND 100%

I honesty enjoyed every minute there, my suggestion would be, just keep it the way it is!!!!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Dalia! It is great to hear that you learnt from the local team while working in such a beautiful surrounding daily. I know the team appreciated the time and work you put in while there. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Xu

Different experience in my life

By this trip, I touched and Experienced amazing Africa from the powerful dances of Guys there in local school. Also, I teach kids English morning, afternoon we play soccer or basketball together. Everyday I am not so much a teacher as a teacher, since kids help me learn to be patient during teaching process for that I have to try my best to teach kids more things so I have to think constantly how to make sure there is a quiet environment. And they are so adorable, their beautiful eyes and smiles inspire me think more things about education. They help me to be a better man.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

It is great that you had the opportunity to experience not only the Moroccan culture while on the program. The local team and the centre appreciated having you as part of their team, and it is fantastic they taught you a little something too. Claire - IVHQ Program Manager.

Coralie

An experience that taught me more than I could ever imagine!

Volunteering with IVHQ was an amazing experience. From getting picked up from the airport, which is very reassuring, to being supported by the organization all along the way and meeting other great volunteers, the experience was indescribable. Teaching women with very different levels of English and French was quite a challenge, however it taught me a lot as well. Also, having the choice to join different programmes along the way (the programme I did was very similar to others) was great as you could decide if you prefer volunteering a lot (ie. 5 to 6 hours a day) or only the mornings/afternoons, for example. That allowed me to balance my time well. Living in a host family was the best way to be really integrated into the culture. Overall the contacts I have made and the new friends I have met, as well as the impact the work had on the women (some learned the alphabet and numbers in only 2 weeks!) made this trip unforgettable.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Coralie - I'm so happy you enjoyed your volunteer experience in Morocco! The cultural immersion aspect of this program is definitely a highlight for volunteers, and it sounds like you assimilated into your host family and the culture very nicely. I'm glad you felt challenged in your placement but also that you felt you learned something from your time on the placement. Thanks again for sharing your experience!
Kaila - IVHQ Morocco Program Manager

Morgan

Morocco

This trip was by far the most amazing trip I have ever taken. It not only taught me about the culture and people of Morocco, but I also learned a lot about myself. I never knew how much I love teaching before volunteering with IVHQ. I not only tested the students, but the students tested me. None of the students knew how to speak English, and I do not speak a lick of Arabic, but some how we could meet in the middle using body language and symbols.
I am really happy I could work primarily with children. They are so eager to learn and excited to be in a classroom; even though they were no where near as big and equipped as the classrooms in the states.
My host family was also incredible and I will never forget one of their faces or beautiful smiles. They were so sweet and generous. No one spoke English in the family either, but that made communication more interesting and fun. They never made me feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, in fact they always made warm amazing meals, provided nice beds, and even rides if I needed to go to the ATM or train station.
This was a trip that I could write about for days. If I have any advice, it would be to really dedicate to your program. My roommate and I made lesson plans, bought new notebooks and pens for the students, and even stayed after class to help anyone who asked. Also, to go in with an open mind and try new foods and explore new customs.
IVHQ is an amazing program and I only wish I would have heard about it earlier.

I genuinely can not think of anything I would improve or even change about this program. I always felt like I could communicate with my director and host family.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Morgan, Thanks for your awesome review! We couldn't be happier to hear that you had such an amazing time in Morocco. Thanks for being an outstanding volunteer and we hope you will join us again soon!
Kaila - IVHQ Morocco Program Manager

headshot of woman and elephant
Allison

Beyond My Comfort Zone

Volunteering with IVHQ in Morocco was an adventure. I loved that the culture fosters a sense of respect for other religions and cultures, and that it's okay not to be Muslim and live in Morocco. I appreciated the Muslim customs and traditions, and I was able to learn a lot about Islam in Morocco while still holding firm to my Christian faith. I found it interesting and enjoyable to have conversations with locals about their religious beliefs and customs, and they were equally intrigued to hear about Christianity from me. The weather - I loved it most of the time. Marrakech and Fes are extremely HOT, so I'm glad I was placed in Rabat where the weather is fairly warm but nowhere near those other cities. I looked forward to the fact that there was sunshine every day without fail and the beach was a five-minute walk from my homestay. Of course, I love the people that I met there, both the locals and the other volunteers from all over the world. My placement was perfect. I was working in Women's Education, and the women were so appreciative of my time and effort and really WANTED to learn. The staff at ILCS (IVHQ's partner organization in Rabat) was always kind and attentive, and I made many friends there, as well. My language lessons - I took both French and Arabic - were helpful to me in communicating on a daily basis with the locals. I already spoke pretty decent French before arriving in Morocco, but I hadn't known any Arabic at all, and I learned SO much in such a short amount of time! My host family was full of fun and enjoyed having me there, and I fell in love with the kids in the family. If you go to Morocco, be prepared to be pushed far beyond your comfort zone - and love it.

The only thing I would say could use some improvement would be the level of communication between the host families and ILCS. There was a bit of discrepancy between what was communicated to volunteers was supposed to happen in the home stays and what actually happened in some of them (in terms of meals, laundry, etc). However, ILCS was quick to address and solve any problems that arose.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Allison, It’s nice to hear from you! We are so glad to hear that you had an adventurous, eye-opening, rewarding and enjoyable time in Rabat, Morocco. Thanks for taking the time to provide a decent outline of your time on the program and we would love to have you join us again in the future!

Read my full story
Aleah

My Experience with IVHQ Morocco

Volunteering has never really been my thing. Don’t get me wrong, I have a bleeding heart for just about any cause and love people helping people. But there’s something about volunteering that seems more self-serving and superficial than actually providing a service that’s needed. I believe all of that changed when I chose to volunteer with International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ).

Since I had some time to travel and wanted to visit Morocco, I thought Rabat would be perfect. I chose to teach English not because of my exceptional grammar skills, but because it seemed the popular choice and I could envision what my day looked like. I have now both lived up to the stereotype of superficial volunteering and could not have been more wrong about what to expect. The program started on Monday, and I only had one week of volunteering in front of me, followed by a few days’ travel. It’s cliché, but time flies and one week was exceptionally short, especially as soon as I understood just what I was doing there.

Orientation was Monday. We learned all about the Institute for Leadership and Communication Studies (ILCS), Morocco, and each other. We also got a tour of our placements. I would be teaching at La Fondation Orient-Occident, a community center for sub-Saharan refugees. In reality, I was teaching Moroccan adults, some of who traveled from the country to Rabat just for studies. Surprise, I’m not teaching children and I’m getting worried about my actual English skills at this point. Not to worry, I would be meeting up with my two colleagues in the morning and we would taxi to the foundation together.

Instantly, I was in over my head. The other two had been there for weeks’ prior. They got to the classroom, began writing on the white boards, and going over the lesson, like a well oiled machine. What should I do? “Talk to the students.” Of course. And since communication is my strong suit, it was easy. Class started every morning at 10:00 and ended at noon. Most of the students didn’t trickle in until 10:30, but a few would stay after class for some one-on-one attention. “Good morning, teacher.” The routine soon became very familiar, and it was great. To begin, we had three vocabulary words to learn and form new sentences with. Then, a grammar lesson. Last, a song or story to go over aloud and talk about at the end. It warms your heart each time someone grabs your attention and says, “Teacher?” It seemed so funny to me, that word, yet these adults are all very serious and eager to learn English. This was nothing like the so many 2-hour group volunteer sessions I’d been a part of. For one, it didn’t require more work of the foundation just to accommodate us. And also, I knew this was very important to the people on the receiving end.

Now, many of my students did speak French, because they’ve chosen to educate themselves and it couldn’t be more evident. The skill levels ranged from elementary to college level, but everyone put in equal effort. They are starved for attention and understanding. And this is when I learned that teaching is extremely difficult. Even with the couple of hours put in at night to prepare, the lessons never go as expected, you hope you had and effect and you wish you could do more. But they learned. I know it because I’ve been a student in so many ways in life. Each day, they took something away and they got to listen to and speak English for two hours.

When Friday came, there’s no doubt it was too soon. A colleague of mine was also leaving that day, and the students were sad. How are they going to learn English without us? We got so many questions for more resources and schools. It’s clear that there aren’t enough inexpensive options, and there are next to no English books in Morocco. I was able to find an Arabic English dictionary to leave with the school, and the other teachers did the same. But we knew it wasn’t enough. This is the moment my heart breaks, and also the moment I believe in volunteering. These people are deserving of knowledge; it does seem to be the least someone could ask for.

Overall, I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. And I will absolutely be looking to IVHQ for my next travel destination.

The program went really well. However, a with a little bit more preparation, it could have gone a lot better. Supplies, supplies, supplies. Bringing elementary English books to share or even to use as exercises would have been helpful. Maybe suggest an extra hour after the placement for actually building a curriculum together if there are other volunteers.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Aleah, It’s nice to hear from you. We are interested to hear about how the program in Morocco helped challenge your pre-conceived ideas on volunteering. Thank you for adapting to the program and managing to adjust your expectations; it sounds like you were able to make a valuable contribution to the students conversational English during your week on the program. We would love to welcome you onto another IVHQ program in the future.

Simina

Doing ABCs with Moroccan girls

My one week women's education volunteering was an eye opening experience. I truly felt challenged trying to teach a small group of women how to read and write as well as basic words in French. I bought some books & notebooks and off we went, repeating sounds, syllables & words, drawing objects and playing basic games. One day I was "trapped" in a middle of a very controversial conversation of which vegetables go into a tajine pot, one of the most special moments of my trip. And the hugs I got at the end of the class were the most genuine way of saying thank you!

A better handover / curricula for the incoming / outgoing volunteers would help plan / track progress better.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Simina, Thanks for your lovely review! It sounds like you dove right into your volunteer placement with confidence and a plan –that is what we like to hear! Thanks for being an awesome volunteer and we hope to have you join us again in the future.
Kaila – IVHQ Program Manager

Laura

One of my most treasured gifts: A headscarf.

During one of my solo train rides, I met a woman named Nadia and her brother! They made my 4-hr-long train ride from Marrakech to Rabat much more fun! Luckily her brother spoke a little bit of English so whenever I couldn't remember how to say something in French (and believe me, it happened often) I was able to still communicate with them. We had SO much fun! They laughed a lot (and I did too), specially when they tried to teach me some words in Arabic and I would try to say them with a funky accent.

Nadia runs her own bakery business, it's small because she is the one that makes the pastries and the costumers are people close to her family. She was going to the Italian Consulate in Casablanca because she wanted to visit her husband who is working in Italy. I mentioned that I liked her head scarf and just a few minutes before her stop, I noticed how she quickly and smoothly changed it to another one. I thought that maybe she wanted to wear one with a more sober color to the Consulate. However, it wasn't until we arrived at their stop and they were standing that she gave me her "pretty pink head scarf" as a gift ♥ I also got to try one of her "petits gâteaux" .. IT WAS SO GOOD.

I was worried about being alone in Morocco, but I always felt safe and took the risk to talk to the locals and make amazing memories. DARE MIGHTY THINGS!

It could be improved by making more activities for the volunteers that are in the same city, even if they're working in different locations.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Laura, Thanks for sharing this special story! It sounds like you really made the most of your experience in Morocco by interacting with the people around you. The 4-hour train ride could have been a nondescript event but by talking to Nadia it became a treasured memory (with a lasting gift). We have loved having you as an IVHQ volunteer and we thank you for your advice for our volunteers.

Betsy

Moustache Day!!!

My daughter Alex and I volunteered in Rabat, Morocco in Child care during Ramadan 2016. We are very experienced travelers and have volunteered in 8 countries with poverty children. We know to spend time observing a placement and find a way to make an impact on the existing situation. We have had great success bringing bags of educational and fun material to share with the kids. After several days of reading, coloring, painting, beachballs, and music, we decided it was time for mustache Day!!! We had several bags of black pretend moustaches and covered the boys, girls and a few babies with moustaches. It was hilarious and several looked like their grandfathers! One adorable girl gave us a thumbs up and for an instant looked like Borat. Along with bubbles, balloons, beachballs and music, it was a crazy fun day. Even more comical was the look on the parents faces as they picked up their little moustached child! We certainly taught all the kids the english word for moustache!!

My experiences have been with poverty kids, orphans, special needs, elderly and Kids of the state. We felt we could have made a better impact working with kids in need. I should have spoken up sooner. Let the volunteers know that if something isn't right, speak up. We all talk amongst ourselves about these things.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Betsy, What a great story! It sounds like you and your daughter certainly came prepared for your childcare placement and made the most of your time there. Those are some excellent moustaches! Thanks for your feedback and for being an amazing volunteer.