Marine Conservation Volunteering in Mozambique!

Marine Conservation Volunteering in Mozambique!

We offer a cutting edge volunteer program that gives individuals the chance to work alongside our marine biologists helping with conservation and research, in the beautiful surroundings of Guinjata Bay, Mozambique. Volunteers gain experience through our research, teaching and fish IDing programs over the space of 4 or 5 weeks, including collecting data on whale sharks and humpback whales.

Volunteers are crucial to Love The Oceans’ cause and by participating in the program volunteers help to collect the first ever fisheries data, coral reef health data and humpback whale pod dynamics and behavioral data in Guinjata Bay as well as building bridges with the local communities by teaching 10-11 year olds in the local schools about the importance of the marine environment.

Africa » Mozambique
The cost for the 4 week trip (EXCLUDING KRUGER) is £1200. With the extra 5 nights spent in Kruger and transport to Kruger and the airport it will be £1750.

The cost for the 5 week trip (EXCLUDING KRUGER) is £1400. With the extra 5 nights spent in Kruger and transport to the Kruger and the airport it will be £1995 (that is the same price for both August and September programs)

The price we offer includes:

-Accommodation at Casa do Mar, Guinjata Dive Centre, Mozambique
-Breakfast, lunch and dinner
-Transport to and from the airport
-All snorkelling and diving that is part of the programme
-All dive kit hire
-Guidance and mentoring by the marine biologists, oceanographers, and leading scientists at Love The Oceans
-Full access to Casa De Mar’s amenities and facilities
-All research equipment
-A ‘cultural tour’ around the local area

For Kruger, the 5 nights includes:

-6 days travelling though Kruger National Park and the surrounding area
-Guidance from experienced field guides
-Pre-organised day time activities including game drives, bush walks
-Visit to Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre
-All food, accommodation and transport

N.B The Kruger trip itinerary is subject to change. Volunteers involved will be notified.

Beth
Fareham, UK

An amazing experience

Volunteering with LTO was definitely one of the best things I have ever done, and I am excited to go out again. Connecting with the local community was amazing; working with the school left me inspired and the children were sweet and so wonderful to work with. The area is beautiful and the marine life is unlike anywhere else I have ever been, seeing whales so close is something I will never forget, and the coral reefs I had the pleasure of diving on were gorgeous. It is no wonder that one of the dive sites, Manta, was once named one of the top ten dive sites in the world. Being able to collect data and work for a cause that means so much to me is a fantastic opportunity and I couldn't think of a better setting to do it in. On top of all that, I have never made so many friends so fast; people I am still in contact with today. Everyone I met, both working out in Moz and volunteers that had come out like me, were fantastic, fun people who got along great.

The experiences I had with LTO was without a doubt some of the best I've had, I cannot talk about it enough.

Charlotte
Oxford, UK

Incredible

Volunteering with Love The Oceans was one of the best decisions of my life. As an ocean lover, I had the most incredible experience spotting Humpback whales from the shore and dive boats everyday, a day did not go by where I didn't see a whale! I was even lucky enough to see them during an ascent on a dive! The reefs were fantastic for diving weeks and collecting fisheries data was equally interesting.

Oliver
Southampton

Incredible Program

Love the Oceans (LTO) is a fantastic program run by passionate people, I really cannot recommend it highly enough. Everyday you're working with the local people, whether it be the fishermen collecting fisheries data or teaching at and repairing the local school. Honestly nothing quite explains the look of wonder on the local kids faces' when you show them how massive humpback whales are, a creature they have only ever seen from afar. The data I helped collect went towards initiating real change, and I left Mozambique with a great feeling of satisfaction, so great in fact that I've decided to return next year.

I've heard horror stories from friends that have paid an arm and a leg (well in excess of £3000) to have the "privilege" of offering up their time and money as a marine conservation volunteer only to leave feeling that they haven't achieve anything significant and felt undervalued. As a volunteer for LTO not only did I feel valued but being a non-profit organisation means that I also got value for my money, especially considering the experiences I had while in country.

To sum up; great program run by amazing people for a cause worthy or your time for and exceedingly reasonable price.

Being a volunteer on the first year the program was run there were a few hiccups; my biggest gripe was how everything was timetabled you'd as spend two solid weeks on the beaches measuring fish and shark catches while others just conducted reef surveys or repaired the school, it would have nice to have variety throughout the week.

Love the Oceans is a charitable non-profit marine conservation organisation working in Mozambique. We are carrying out the first ever research in Guinjata Bay on fisheries, humpback whales, whale sharks and coral reefs.Love The Oceans hopes to protect and study the diverse marine life found