Marine Conservation in Mozambique!

The view!!
Humpback whale
Humpback whale
View of the Bay
View of the Bay

We offer a cutting edge volunteer field assistant program that gives individuals the chance to work alongside our marine biologists helping with conservation and research, in the beautiful surroundings of Jangamo, Mozambique. Volunteers gain experience through our research and community outreach programs over the space of 2 - 5 weeks, including collecting data on whale sharks and humpback whales.

Volunteers are crucial to Love The Oceans’ cause and by participating in the program volunteers help to collect the first ever fisheries data, coral reef health data, ocean trash data and humpback whale pod dynamics and behavioural data in Jangamo as well as helping our community work by helping teach 4-18 year olds how to swim and 10-13 year olds about the importance of the marine environment in the local schools.

• Work alongside experienced international marine biologists!
  • Get hands on field experience in: humpback whales, coral reefs, trash and fisheries!
  • Live in a beach side location and watch the whales from your balcony!
  • Make a long lasting impact with a leading ethical organisation!
  • Our organisation has been recognised by the Prince Harry and Meghan as 1 of 15 global #forcesforchange

Impact

We are 5 yrs old. So far we have:
- Been recognised as 1 of 15 global #forcesforchange by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and independently highlighted by them as Archie's first philanthropic project.
- Hosted +200 volunteers
- Collected 6 years of fisheries data, conducted initial assessments of the sustainability of fishing methods
- Collected 5 years of biodiversity assessments on local coral reefs and conducted initial assessments of biodiversity and coral reef health
- Collected 4 years of humpback whale surveys
- Collected 3 years of oceans trash research
- Removed over 1 tonne of marine debris from our local beaches.
- Launched an ecobrick initiative
- Collected 2 year of turtle research
- Taught over +1000 children Marine Resource Management
- Built 14 new classrooms at Guinjata and Paindane School – enabling the establishment of the first ever high school in the area
- Taught over 800 children to swim and run 2 seasons of intensive swimming workshops
- Qualified the first ever Mozambique Citizen STA Swimming Teacher
- Qualified 8 Aquatic Helpers from our Ocean Conservation Champion Initiative
- Trained 11 students in pool safety, basic lifesaving skills and CPR

Beth

An amazing experience

Volunteering with LTO was definitely one of the best things I have ever done, and I am excited to go out again. Connecting with the local community was amazing; working with the school left me inspired and the children were sweet and so wonderful to work with. The area is beautiful and the marine life is unlike anywhere else I have ever been, seeing whales so close is something I will never forget, and the coral reefs I had the pleasure of diving on were gorgeous. It is no wonder that one of the dive sites, Manta, was once named one of the top ten dive sites in the world. Being able to collect data and work for a cause that means so much to me is a fantastic opportunity and I couldn't think of a better setting to do it in. On top of all that, I have never made so many friends so fast; people I am still in contact with today. Everyone I met, both working out in Moz and volunteers that had come out like me, were fantastic, fun people who got along great.

The experiences I had with LTO was without a doubt some of the best I've had, I cannot talk about it enough.

Charlotte

Incredible

Volunteering with Love The Oceans was one of the best decisions of my life. As an ocean lover, I had the most incredible experience spotting Humpback whales from the shore and dive boats everyday, a day did not go by where I didn't see a whale! I was even lucky enough to see them during an ascent on a dive! The reefs were fantastic for diving weeks and collecting fisheries data was equally interesting.

Oliver

Incredible Program

Love the Oceans (LTO) is a fantastic program run by passionate people, I really cannot recommend it highly enough. Everyday you're working with the local people, whether it be the fishermen collecting fisheries data or teaching at and repairing the local school. Honestly nothing quite explains the look of wonder on the local kids faces' when you show them how massive humpback whales are, a creature they have only ever seen from afar. The data I helped collect went towards initiating real change, and I left Mozambique with a great feeling of satisfaction, so great in fact that I've decided to return next year.

I've heard horror stories from friends that have paid an arm and a leg (well in excess of £3000) to have the "privilege" of offering up their time and money as a marine conservation volunteer only to leave feeling that they haven't achieve anything significant and felt undervalued. As a volunteer for LTO not only did I feel valued but being a non-profit organisation means that I also got value for my money, especially considering the experiences I had while in country.

To sum up; great program run by amazing people for a cause worthy or your time for and exceedingly reasonable price.

Being a volunteer on the first year the program was run there were a few hiccups; my biggest gripe was how everything was timetabled you'd as spend two solid weeks on the beaches measuring fish and shark catches while others just conducted reef surveys or repaired the school, it would have nice to have variety throughout the week.