We offer a cutting edge volunteer field assistant program that gives individuals the chance to work alongside our marine biologists helping with conservation and research, in the beautiful surroundings of Jangamo, Mozambique. Volunteers gain experience through our research and community outreach programs over the space of 2 - 5 weeks, including collecting data on whale sharks and humpback whales.
Volunteers are crucial to Love The Oceans’ cause and by participating in the program volunteers help to collect the first ever fisheries data, coral reef health data, ocean trash data and humpback whale pod dynamics and behavioural data in Jangamo as well as helping our community work by helping teach 4-18 year olds how to swim and 10-13 year olds about the importance of the marine environment in the local schools.
- Work alongside experienced international marine biologists!
- Get hands on field experience in: humpback whales, coral reefs, trash and fisheries!
- Live in a beach side location and watch the whales from your balcony!
- Make a long lasting impact with a leading ethical organisation!
- Our organisation has been recognised by the Prince Harry and Meghan as 1 of 15 global #forcesforchange
We are 5 yrs old. So far we have:
- Been recognised as 1 of 15 global #forcesforchange by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and independently highlighted by them as Archie's first philanthropic project.
- Hosted +200 volunteers
- Collected 6 years of fisheries data, conducted initial assessments of the sustainability of fishing methods
- Collected 5 years of biodiversity assessments on local coral reefs and conducted initial assessments of biodiversity and coral reef health
- Collected 4 years of humpback whale surveys
- Collected 3 years of oceans trash research
- Removed over 1 tonne of marine debris from our local beaches.
- Launched an ecobrick initiative
- Collected 2 year of turtle research
- Taught over +1000 children Marine Resource Management
- Built 14 new classrooms at Guinjata and Paindane School – enabling the establishment of the first ever high school in the area
- Taught over 800 children to swim and run 2 seasons of intensive swimming workshops
- Qualified the first ever Mozambique Citizen STA Swimming Teacher
- Qualified 8 Aquatic Helpers from our Ocean Conservation Champion Initiative
- Trained 11 students in pool safety, basic lifesaving skills and CPR