Safari to Coast Conservation Volunteer Project

Age
16 - 100 years
98 travelers are looking at this program

About This Program

The Kruger to Coast Volunteer Tour will take you through some of the best that southern Africa has to offer in terms of wildlife, culture and beaches. Begin in Eswatini where you will get involved in grassroots community projects and make an active contribution to improve the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children or contribute to active conservation efforts in the Savannah. Embark on a 5-day camping safari through the world-famous Kruger National Park to spot big game. Venture to tropical Mozambique where you spend time on world-class Indian Ocean beaches. Not only will you have the amazing opportunity to see some of Africa's most incredible wildlife, snorkel with Whale Sharks and paddle to tropical palm-fringed islands, but you will also have the opportunity to participate in an important community development project.

• Make a big impact and contribute to sustainable development
  • Make an impact in the lives of preschool children and assist with their education
  • Relax on the palm-fringed beaches of Tofo, Mozambique
  • Kruger National Park 3-5 night camping safaris to see the big 5
  • Visit 3 destinations in one epic road trip!

Volunteers can participate in many programs including; Orphan Care, Teaching, Build a Future, Sports Development and Savannah Conservation.

WEEK BY WEEK

Day 1 Fly into OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you by road from Johannesburg to the Kingdom of Swaziland.

Day 2 The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience.

In the afternoon you will embark on a Cultural Tour where you will visit the museum to learn about Swazi history and culture, and then will walk around a real Swazi village to experience day-to-day life in Swaziland.

Day 3-5 and other weekdays you will spend these days volunteering on your Child Care project.

Day 29 Return Home Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your nal day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Swaziland and transfer to Johannesburg to catch your ight.
Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.

For 4 Week+ Option
Day 29 Onwards Continue with your volunteer project as described in days 3-5, giving you more time to contribute to your project.

DAY IN THE LIFE OF A VOLUNTEER

7:00 Wake up to see the sunshine, jump in a hot shower and get yourself started for the day with breakfast!
7:30 Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day
8:00 Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching activities including maths, English, science etc, and supporting the teacher through helping with setting and marking homework and tests
12:00 Time to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!
12:30 Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this may involve returning to your morning building placement or having the opportunity for additional projects including local language lessons and assisting at homework clubs
15:00 Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the pool!
18:30 Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax.....

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

- Zip lining weekend through the mountains, waterfall and gorger of Malolotja Nature Reserve
- Kruger National Park 3-5 night camping safaris to see the big 5!

What's Included
Activities
Airport Transfers
Equipment
Meals
Wifi
More info on what's included:

Orientation upon arrival
Full support and daily guidance from Project Coordinator and Assistant Project Coordinator

What's Not Included
Airfare
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Visa

Lidwala Lodge located in the Ezulwini valley (known as the valley of heaven) in central Swaziland. This is the cultural heart of Swaziland and is where most of the tourist activities are based, and is also where the Royal Palace, houses of parliament, national sports stadium and national museum are located within a scenic semi-rural setting. The Lobamba, Ezulwini and Mahlanya communities are scattered within a few kilometers of this area. It is conveniently located less than 2km from many of the areas main facilities & attractions and is within 5km of the social projects that All Out Africa coordinates.

You will be accommodated in a dorm room with bunk beds with communal bathroom facilities. Bed, mattress, sheet and pillows will be provided, but note if you plan to go on tours on home stays during your time in Swaziland then a sleeping bag maybe required. The lodge has a large deck area, outdoor pool, TV lounge, WIFI*, and a communal kitchen to prepare meals. The lodge is surrounded by a spacious garden with plenty of trees and boulders (hence its name), a communal barbecue (braai) and camp re area. Often you can see monkeys roaming around the garden and the many plants attract a wide range of birds.

Volunteers, interns and students receive 3 meals a day when joining an All Out Africa experience. These meals are eaten together on the communal decking area. Breakfast is self-service from a selection of items including cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs and spreads. Lunch too is self-service from items such as bread, ham, cheese, salad and fruits. Dinner is a cooked meal which clients may assist with cooking on a rotational basis. Types of dishes served include pasta, stir-fry, braai (BBQ) and stew.

Vegetarians and most food allergies can be catered for. In order to fully support you during your experience, please advise us at time of booking if you have any food allergies or preferences, so we can cater for these in our meal plans. We will do our best but be prepared your food selection may not be as varied as other participants. If your food allergies/preference are quite restrictive, we may require you to pay an additional fee to allow us to cater for you.

Video

$4019 USD
12 Weeks
$4230 USD

Hosted by All Out Africa

All Out Africa, a responsible travel company, was founded in 2004 by Kim Roques. With its headquarters in Ezulwini (the Valley of Heaven), Swaziland, All Out Africa also has bases in Cape Town, South Africa; Maun, Botswana; and Tofo, Mozambique. All Out Africa's travel company focuses on providing responsible travel experiences as well as...

Ginger Green
Marketing & Bookings Coordinator
Have a question?
Send Ginger a Message

Izzy Weisz Go Overseas Headshot
Izzy

All Out Africa: Making An Impact

The week I spent with All Out Africa in Swaziland was truly an eye-opening experience. I hadn't even heard of The Kingdom of Swaziland before 2018, let alone what day-to-day life there is like, or the challenges the country faces. I had no idea what to expect, but that turned out to be completely OK. All Out ushered me through a week of adventuring (camping in Kruger National Park was one for the books), volunteering (learning the role of volunteers and how much the community benefits from the work reminded me of the impact of community-based programs), and expanding my horizons. While the volunteer group was comprised almost entirely of 17-20 year old Dutch and German girls, talking to them about why they were there revealed an investment in their work and a deep caring for the kids they saw each morning. And it was instantaneously clear how much the kids (mostly 5 and 6 year olds) loved the time they spent with the volunteers, too.

My takeaways from the trip include, but are definitely not limited to:
- Volunteering with a group that's lead by a community-based program is the best way to both understand the culture, and make a difference
- International travel is so, so important
- The mountains of Swaziland are highly underrated
- I must go back

Lara

Mozambique

We had a lovely time in Mozambique. It was good to get away for a week. We went surfing, kayaking and on the ocean safari. It was crazy to do those things because in Holland you could never do something like that. But it's a shame that you don't always see things on the ocean safari. It was also really good that besides the activity's All Out planned for you, you can do activity's on your own like quad biking and scuba diving. Mozambique is besides a beautiful country with an amazing landscape. And we had a wonderful time.

maybe the communication, because some things aren't that clear
Nora

The President

Every morning when we traveled to our NCP Bethany we went on a little adventure. We had to travel from Lidwala to Machlania Markets with a combi. In there we always had good african music. The drive would be just 15 minutes but we always had around 30 minutes because we were stopping at every stop for a long time and watched our drivers persuading people to come into our combi which was great fun. At Mahlanya Markets we had to wait again for "The President". The president is a small bus which looks like it would breakdown every minute but still a very remarcable vehicle. At Mahlanya markets we always had a nice chat with local people. We could never be sure that the president would actually arrive so everytime it did we were really relived. The drive with the president is on a very bumpy road. The ride not very comfortable but the view you got on it was breathtaking. You see little houses, lots of mountains and landscapes. When we arrived at Emagonini where we had a little hike to do our adventure was nearly finished. The hike up to Bethany was quite exhausting because it was most of the time very hot. Once we bumped into a herd of cows which was also an experience you only make in Africa. When we arrived at Bethany NCP we always had a new story to laugh about. Thanks to our long and slightly complicated way we have the feeling to have seen a bit of real Swaziland and not just the big cities.

It would be nice if you could spend a little bit more time at the NCP because sth we just started to do sth and already had to go again.
Lianne

Great combination of traveling and volunteering!

Actually I didn't know what to expect exactly when I was planning this trip to Swaziland. Afterwards i'm glad I chose this exciting trip, because of the great combination of volunteering and activities. I saw the big 5 in Kruger Park, did zip-lining through the amazing nature of Swaziland, did snorkeling in the beautiful seas of Mozambique and on the other hand we can mean something to the sweet children at the NCP's. We helped with teaching, cooking and playing with the kids.

All Out is a great organisation and the staff is very kind. They want help you to make it your best experience and they do that very well! The main accommodation 'Lidwala Lodge' is really nice and feels like home within a week. I would recommend All Out to travel or volunteer with, and especially the trip that includes this combination.

Henry

Kruger to Coast Feb 2016

Kruger to coast adventure was outstanding. The week in Kruger to start off the trip couldn't have been more interesting. The wildlife was as amazing as expected. The volunteering after Kruger was rewarding. With the first week building and the second week doing the sports days, it was varied which was necessary to keep everyone entertained, especially in the heat. And Mozambique, was super fun and real chilled out. It was a shame we didn't see anything on the ocean safari but it's part of the risk, we knew that could happen. Quad biking was mad, had to do it twice, couldn't get enough. But the holiday as a whole was serious fun. I would definitely either recommend on do it again myself.

The timings for each working day, maybe a bit longer each day rather than just 2-3 hours in the morning.
Ruben

Good for them good for me

What I love about All Out Africa, that what I did was a wonderful experience for myself but it was also so good for the local communities. I build a variety of things in Swaziland: a platform for a water tank, swings, fixed a roof and much more.

Give the option to do even more volunteering, we had quite some free time, I sometimes would love to do even more.
Rosanne

Nice, but be aware

It was a very nice program. A very beautiful environment. The only disadvantage was the price. It was expensive. Ok I could knew that when I booked, that was okay. But when we did the volunteering, we where expected to buy food and others stuff for the kids. So the costs where much higher. I didn't expect to pay for food for the kids. I wasn't wrong, but I would be nice to get informed before the program started. Not all western people are millionaire!

Although it was a very educational program. We did such nice things, like zip lining and visiting hospitals! I would recommend it, but you have to be aware of the costs!

O, and one note for the organisation. I gathered money for educational stuff for the kids. So I bought books, paper, pencils etc. I gave it to the All out Africa staff to give to one of the NCP's. When I was at home I asked for it: wether the stuff for the kids received the NCP or not, but I did never get an answer from the All out Africa staff. Maybe you could communicate better the next time. Because it is very important for the kids that there are volunteers who are donating stuff. So maybe you could thank them more for the fact that they gathered money and keep them up to date.. That would be more thankful, because next time I am not going to donate any stuff to the kids anymore..

See my review
Philippe

It's been two years, I miss it most days!

My experience was beyond fantastic, I loved Swaziland and the people there very much. My volunteer programme proved very formative and has influenced my career path. I made some incredible memories and although it was challenging, the challenges grew me in a wildly cliche way. The greatest thing was making completely new friends and having a great group to experience Swaziland with. I left with great memories and a lust for life. Highly recommend

Better food available.