All Out Africa - Volunteer Programs in Swaziland

All Out Africa - Volunteer Programs in Swaziland

Swaziland is the smallest country in the southern hemisphere, but also one of the most interesting with lots of fun and adventure. Swaziland is a microcosm of Africa with strong traditions, vibrant cultural festivals and friendly laidback people. Our work here involves creating a brighter future for orphaned and vulnerable children and supporting local business and economic empowerment. We particularly focus on six Neighbourhood Care Points (NCPs) where basic education, life skills and two meals a day are provided to vulnerable pre-school children. We also have a wildlife conservation program in Swaziland. Programs are available throughout the year and there are also internship opportunities.

Available Programs in Swaziland
  • Swaziland Orphan Care Program
  • Swaziland Teaching Program
  • Swaziland Build a Future Program
  • Swaziland Sports Development Program
  • Swaziland Savannah Conservation Program
Africa » Swaziland
Project Types
* All accommodation throughout your program.
* All meals.
* Orientation upon arrival.
* Transport on set arrival and departure days
* Full support and daily guidance from the project coordinator and assistant co-ordinator.
* Project equipment.
Ezulwini

Lara
Ezulwini Valley, Swaziland.

Mozambique

We had a lovely time in Mozambique. It was good to get away for a week. We went surfing, kayaking and on the ocean safari. It was crazy to do those things because in Holland you could never do something like that. But it's a shame that you don't always see things on the ocean safari. It was also really good that besides the activity's All Out planned for you, you can do activity's on your own like quad biking and scuba diving. Mozambique is besides a beautiful country with an amazing landscape. And we had a wonderful time.

maybe the communication, because some things aren't that clear

Nora
Zuerich, Switzerland

The President

Every morning when we traveled to our NCP Bethany we went on a little adventure. We had to travel from Lidwala to Machlania Markets with a combi. In there we always had good african music. The drive would be just 15 minutes but we always had around 30 minutes because we were stopping at every stop for a long time and watched our drivers persuading people to come into our combi which was great fun. At Mahlanya Markets we had to wait again for "The President". The president is a small bus which looks like it would breakdown every minute but still a very remarcable vehicle. At Mahlanya markets we always had a nice chat with local people. We could never be sure that the president would actually arrive so everytime it did we were really relived. The drive with the president is on a very bumpy road. The ride not very comfortable but the view you got on it was breathtaking. You see little houses, lots of mountains and landscapes. When we arrived at Emagonini where we had a little hike to do our adventure was nearly finished. The hike up to Bethany was quite exhausting because it was most of the time very hot. Once we bumped into a herd of cows which was also an experience you only make in Africa. When we arrived at Bethany NCP we always had a new story to laugh about. Thanks to our long and slightly complicated way we have the feeling to have seen a bit of real Swaziland and not just the big cities.

It would be nice if you could spend a little bit more time at the NCP because sth we just started to do sth and already had to go again.

Lianne
Swaziland

Great combination of traveling and volunteering!

Actually I didn't know what to expect exactly when I was planning this trip to Swaziland. Afterwards i'm glad I chose this exciting trip, because of the great combination of volunteering and activities. I saw the big 5 in Kruger Park, did zip-lining through the amazing nature of Swaziland, did snorkeling in the beautiful seas of Mozambique and on the other hand we can mean something to the sweet children at the NCP's. We helped with teaching, cooking and playing with the kids.

All Out is a great organisation and the staff is very kind. They want help you to make it your best experience and they do that very well! The main accommodation 'Lidwala Lodge' is really nice and feels like home within a week. I would recommend All Out to travel or volunteer with, and especially the trip that includes this combination.

Henry
Ezulwini Valley, Swaziland.

Kruger to Coast Feb 2016

Kruger to coast adventure was outstanding. The week in Kruger to start off the trip couldn't have been more interesting. The wildlife was as amazing as expected. The volunteering after Kruger was rewarding. With the first week building and the second week doing the sports days, it was varied which was necessary to keep everyone entertained, especially in the heat. And Mozambique, was super fun and real chilled out. It was a shame we didn't see anything on the ocean safari but it's part of the risk, we knew that could happen. Quad biking was mad, had to do it twice, couldn't get enough. But the holiday as a whole was serious fun. I would definitely either recommend on do it again myself.

The timings for each working day, maybe a bit longer each day rather than just 2-3 hours in the morning.

Ruben
The Netherlands

Good for them good for me

What I love about All Out Africa, that what I did was a wonderful experience for myself but it was also so good for the local communities. I build a variety of things in Swaziland: a platform for a water tank, swings, fixed a roof and much more.

Give the option to do even more volunteering, we had quite some free time, I sometimes would love to do even more.

Rosanne
Nehterlands, Utrecht

Nice, but be aware

It was a very nice program. A very beautiful environment. The only disadvantage was the price. It was expensive. Ok I could knew that when I booked, that was okay. But when we did the volunteering, we where expected to buy food and others stuff for the kids. So the costs where much higher. I didn't expect to pay for food for the kids. I wasn't wrong, but I would be nice to get informed before the program started. Not all western people are millionaire!

Although it was a very educational program. We did such nice things, like zip lining and visiting hospitals! I would recommend it, but you have to be aware of the costs!

O, and one note for the organisation. I gathered money for educational stuff for the kids. So I bought books, paper, pencils etc. I gave it to the All out Africa staff to give to one of the NCP's. When I was at home I asked for it: wether the stuff for the kids received the NCP or not, but I did never get an answer from the All out Africa staff. Maybe you could communicate better the next time. Because it is very important for the kids that there are volunteers who are donating stuff. So maybe you could thank them more for the fact that they gathered money and keep them up to date.. That would be more thankful, because next time I am not going to donate any stuff to the kids anymore..

See my review

Philippe
Bristol
University of Bristol

It's been two years, I miss it most days!

My experience was beyond fantastic, I loved Swaziland and the people there very much. My volunteer programme proved very formative and has influenced my career path. I made some incredible memories and although it was challenging, the challenges grew me in a wildly cliche way. The greatest thing was making completely new friends and having a great group to experience Swaziland with. I left with great memories and a lust for life. Highly recommend

Better food available.

Erica
London, England

An Incredible Experience

This is my third time on the Build A Future programme run by All Out Africa. Each time I go I meet fabulous people and make new friends. What makes All Out Africa stand out is that the projects do actually make a difference and there is an on-going review process to ensure that this remains the case. The building projects are supervised by Michael who is a very competent builder, a great teacher and a thoroughly decent man. The projects are hard work as everything is done by hand, but this does mean that you are safe and that people from the community can, and do, help where they can. The more involvement from the local community the better as this means that they buy into the project more which, in turn, can help in its success. At every step of the way you have the full support of the All Out Africa staff whose head office is at Lidwala Lodge where all volunteers stay for the duration of their time in Swaziland.
Lidwala is a backpacker’s lodge in a beautiful part of Swaziland called Ezulwini. The staff have always been very helpful, friendly and it’s a pleasure to be there. I would say that the quality of the food can be improved – when you are out working on site all day, the options for packed lunch are limited and basic. But that aside, the atmosphere in the lodge is great and it is lovely to sit on the veranda or by the pool after a long day building and either read, catch up with all the other volunteers or meet the travellers who pass through.

Sabine
Breda, The Netherlands

It became my home away from home

My volunteer program was the best thing I have ever decided on doing. I was just 18, and never been abroad by myself. I was welcomed in the All Out Africa family do warm and loved. I insteanly felt like I belonged there. The staff was so good and organized. The program was 6 weeks. 1 week kruger park in South Africa. What an experience this was. Together with my group (which is also an amazing experience because you get to be in a group of people who are from all over the world) and with the tourguides you drive through the park to spot the amazingly beautiful wildlife. The tourguides were sooo excited and the took you with them in their excitement. Never a doll moment. The accomodation and food were perfectly arranged.
Then it was two weeks of volunteerwork at one of the NCP's (nursery care point) in Swaziland. This has changed me completely, and no i am not making it better than it was. I became so aware of what I had and what was so unneccerary in life. The kids made me see and feel the value of life. Knowing how little they had and still such joy and brightness in their eyes.
After the two weeks we went to Mozambique. A week of partying, chilling at the most beautiful beach of Praia do Tofo! Ocean safari, fun markets to go to, delicious food.
Then back to swaziland to do another two weeks working at the ncp. Realizing how much you missed your kids at the ncp.
The All aput Africa team is a team that feels like a family. Whenever something is wrong or you had a question or anything you wanted to know or do, All Out Office was always open and there for you. Which made you have no time to feel home sick to your home country.
My 6 weeks in swaziland have been so life changing and i made friends for life. I enjoyed it so much, i have been back for 4 more times to help All Out Africa and work for the company because their work is truly inspiring. It became my home away from home.

The one thing that could be changed (if not already, since I did my volunteer program in June/July 2011) was the transport to the NCP. Some volunteers their NCP was further than others and was more difficult to get there. More guidance could be advised. But I have to add that i have never felt unsafe traveling in Swaziland or ever in general.

Julie,
Melbourne, Australia
Monash University

Go with no expectations but expect the unexpected!

My family & I travelled to Swazi in January 2015 to take part in a building project with AOA. It was a wonderful way to immerse yourself into Swazi life & culture. Each day we grew not individually but as a whole.

Dorming with my partner & 2 teenage sons was a fun way to hear their inner thoughts on what they were experiencing. Every day they happily got out of bed ready for their next challenge, whatever it might be. Not in anyway did they seem intimidated. Instead they confidently engaged with the locals, especially the little children. I saw sides to my sons that I didn't know existed. I think this is largely to do with the wonderful in country team support provided by AOA. There was always someone available if you needed any assistance. Travel & adventure with a purpose is so incredibly gratifying.

Swaziland is as beautiful as is it's people but they do need help....visit the hospital or visit the orphanage to see that we need not apologise for what we have but we do owe it to ourselves to help make a difference! Mum's, Dad's, go with your kids...I've had some of the proudest parental moments ever to date. My only regret was... we didn't stay longer!

Perhaps more pre tour information before arrival
Eg. Tour info for weekend trips rather than waste too much project time
Earlier starts to beat the heat
More tools for larger groups on certain build projects
Probably a few more supplies for lunch making
Include transfers to Ezulwini Valley in overall price
Definitely handy to have an ensuite as a family, perhaps there could be two options available, with or without

Heidi
Brea, CA

Changed My Life

I went to All Out Africa-Swaziland through an organization called Interantional Student Volunteers. I went to work with endangered species and wildlife conservation, but ended up doing so much more than that. I learned about the culture and lifestyle, got interact with the people and children, and travel all over the country. At the end of each day I felt like I actually accomplished something. Whether it was weighing baby marabou storks, playing with the village kids, or just sitting with hippos at the water hole, every day made an impact and was an adventure.

All
Oshawa, Canada
Lakehead University

An Amazing Adventure!...and not just for the Young

As a 58 year old, my month long November period with All Out Africa and their adventure/volunteer "Kruger to Mozambique" program was simply life-changing! Upon arriving, we were met with an enthusiastic team of coordinators and soon teamed up with an equally spirited group of volunteers at their backpacker Lidwala Lodge in Swaziland.

We began right away with a 4 day trip to Kruger National Park to see all the wildlife and ended our time with a 5 day journey to Mozambique on the Indian Ocean. In between these trips we spent two weeks volunteering in various planned activities in Swaziland.

I really liked this format as you were given a taste of volunteering as opposed to being fully immersed into it for a month. I had never volunteered overseas before so I found "All out Africa's" Kruger to Mozambique trip to be a great introduction to voluneering without being overwhelmed.

For me, one of the greatest moments was meeting so many different people from around the world. Especially the young adventurers who travelled through Lidwala and Bamboozi Lodge in Mozambique! Their stories and adventures were truly inspiring.I was so impressed with their spirit and zest to travel the world.

After returning home to Canada, I was approached by my supervisor who found my trip to be quite interesting. Different from a regular vacation. She thought it would be interesting if I shared my experience in our company's magazine which I eventually agreed to. The article was published last spring and I was humbled with the attention received by co workers. They found my trip to be quite unique and some thought they might even consider a vacation like this themselves.

So to conclude, All Out Africa's "Kruger to Mozambique" month long trip will provide you with a lifetime of memories and experiences you will never forget. You'll be hooked on "voluntourism" and will likely never plan a regular vacation again!

Steph
Melbourne, Australia

Swaziland is great!

I loved my experience with AllOut Africa - meeting the kids, doing maths classes, visiting the hospital in the afternoons, helping with building a new Care Point (school) and hanging out with other volunteers. The travel was amazing too - Kruger and Moz are amazing!!! Plus, the location of the accommodation in the Ezulwini Valley is great. No complaints!!!

EimearNíFhoghlú
Dublin, Ireland

Swazi Experience.... I'll never forget...Thank you!

I volunteered long term in Swaziland with All Out Africa. It was the most amazing experience and I cherish memories that will last forever. I was working on a building project, building a new N.C.P. in the local community. We got to know so many people in the area and got a real feel for the Swazi was of life.
All Out Africa provided incredible support for us during our volunteering time. The project staff, office ataff and accomodation staff were always at hand to help out. I cannot thank them all enough.
We went on a few tours and trips with All Out Africa and each one was brilliant, with top of the range guides, who show you the natural, cultural and social side to life in Africa!
Once again, a big thank you to all at All Out Africa.

All Out Africa, a responsible travel company, was founded in 2004 by Kim Roques. With its headquarters in Ezulwini (the Valley of Heaven), Swaziland, All Out Africa also has bases in Cape Town, South Africa; Maun, Botswana; and Tofo, Mozambique. All Out Africa's travel company