Volunteer in Swaziland - Conservation, Education projects & more with All Out Africa

Swaziland
2 to 26 weeks
Lodge Tent
Age
Min. 16 years
49 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Our work here involves creating a brighter future for orphaned and vulnerable children and supporting local business and economic empowerment. With the world’s highest HIV/AIDS prevalence, many of Swaziland’s children have lost their parents and thus face food shortages, lack of adequate shelter and care, poverty and lack access to education. All Out Africa established and supports six Neighbourhood Care Points (NCPs) in Swaziland each of which hosts between 30 and 80 children. The role of these NCPs is to provide pre-school education, food, support and guidance to vulnerable and orphaned children in their communities. Your role could be assisting teachers in our Childcare project, getting the kids active with our Sports development project or helping to create gardens, shelters or water projects with our Building project.

We also have a wildlife conservation program in Swaziland.

Programs are available throughout the year and there are also internship opportunities.

• Make a big impact and contribute to sustainable development
  • Have a genuine cultural experience with a passionate professionals
  • Make an impact in the lives of preschool children and assist with their education
  • Zip lining weekend through the mountains
  • Kruger National Park 3-5 night camping safaris to see the big 5

Volunteers can participate in many programs including; Orphan Care, Teaching, Build a Future, Sports Development and Savannah Conservation.

WEEK BY WEEK

Day 1 Fly into OR Tambo Airport, Johannesburg where you will be met by All Out Africa staff members who will transfer you by road from Johannesburg to the Kingdom of Swaziland.

Day 2 The second day begins with an informative presentation that will brief you on all you need to know about the culture and country, how to effectively contribute during your volunteer experience.

In the afternoon you will embark on a Cultural Tour where you will visit the museum to learn about Swazi history and culture, and then will walk around a real Swazi village to experience day-to-day life in Swaziland.

Day 3-5 and other weekdays you will spend these days volunteering on your Child Care project.

Day 29 Return Home Sadly all great adventures must come to an end and on your nal day you will leave the backpacker lodge in Swaziland and transfer to Johannesburg to catch your ight.
Airport transfer is included and facilitated by All Out Africa if on the designated departure day.

For 4 Week+ Option
Day 29 Onwards Continue with your volunteer project as described in days 3-5, giving you more time to contribute to your project.

DAY IN THE LIFE OF A VOLUNTEER

7:00 Wake up to see the sunshine, jump in a hot shower and get yourself started for the day with breakfast!
7:30 Travel to your placement and get ready to begin your day
8:00 Participate in your chosen project assisting with teaching activities including maths, English, science etc, and supporting the teacher through helping with setting and marking homework and tests
12:00 Time to eat the packed lunch you made that morning!
12:30 Begin your afternoon’s work with a full stomach and enthusiasm – this may involve returning to your morning building placement or having the opportunity for additional projects including local language lessons and assisting at homework clubs
15:00 Return back to your accommodation and share your day’s adventures with other volunteers, maybe even a quick swim in the pool!
18:30 Enjoy a delicious evening meal and relax.....

OPTIONAL EXTRAS

- Zip lining weekend through the mountains, waterfall and gorger of Malolotja Nature Reserve
- Kruger National Park 3-5 night camping safaris to see the big 5!

What's Included
Airport Transfers
Equipment
Meals
What's Included (Extra)

Orientation upon arrival
Full support and daily guidance from Project Coordinator and Assistant Project Coordinator

What's Not Included
Airfare
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Visa

Lidwala Lodge located in the Ezulwini valley (known as the valley of heaven) in central Swaziland. This is the cultural heart of Swaziland and is where most of the tourist activities are based, and is also where the Royal Palace, houses of parliament, national sports stadium and national museum are located within a scenic semi-rural setting. The Lobamba, Ezulwini and Mahlanya communities are scattered within a few kilometers of this area. It is conveniently located less than 2km from many of the areas main facilities & attractions and is within 5km of the social projects that All Out Africa coordinates.

You will be accommodated in a dorm room with bunk beds with communal bathroom facilities. Bed, mattress, sheet and pillows will be provided, but note if you plan to go on tours on home stays during your time in Swaziland then a sleeping bag maybe required. The lodge has a large deck area, outdoor pool, TV lounge, WIFI*, and a communal kitchen to prepare meals. The lodge is surrounded by a spacious garden with plenty of trees and boulders (hence its name), a communal barbecue (braai) and camp re area. Often you can see monkeys roaming around the garden and the many plants attract a wide range of birds.

Volunteers, interns and students receive 3 meals a day when joining an All Out Africa experience. These meals are eaten together on the communal decking area. Breakfast is self-service from a selection of items including cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs and spreads. Lunch too is self-service from items such as bread, ham, cheese, salad and fruits. Dinner is a cooked meal which clients may assist with cooking on a rotational basis. Types of dishes served include pasta, stir-fry, braai (BBQ) and stew.

Vegetarians and most food allergies can be catered for. In order to fully support you during your experience, please advise us at time of booking if you have any food allergies or preferences, so we can cater for these in our meal plans. We will do our best but be prepared your food selection may not be as varied as other participants. If your food allergies/preference are quite restrictive, we may require you to pay an additional fee to allow us to cater for you.

Hosted by All Out Africa

All Out Africa, a responsible travel company, was founded in 2004 by Kim Roques. With its headquarters in Ezulwini (the Valley of Heaven), Swaziland, All Out Africa also has bases in Cape Town, South Africa; Maun, Botswana; and Tofo, Mozambique. All...

Ginger Green

$1975 USD

Izzy Weisz Go Overseas Headshot
Izzy

All Out Africa: Making An Impact

The week I spent with All Out Africa in Swaziland was truly an eye-opening experience. I hadn't even heard of The Kingdom of Swaziland before 2018, let alone what day-to-day life there is like, or the challenges the country faces. I had no idea what to expect, but that turned out to be completely OK. All Out ushered me through a week of adventuring (camping in Kruger National Park was one for the books), volunteering (learning the role of volunteers and how much the community benefits from the work reminded me of the impact of community-based programs), and expanding my horizons. While the volunteer group was comprised almost entirely of 17-20 year old Dutch and German girls, talking to them about why they were there revealed an investment in their work and a deep caring for the kids they saw each morning. And it was instantaneously clear how much the kids (mostly 5 and 6 year olds) loved the time they spent with the volunteers, too.

My takeaways from the trip include, but are definitely not limited to:
- Volunteering with a group that's lead by a community-based program is the best way to both understand the culture, and make a difference
- International travel is so, so important
- The mountains of Swaziland are highly underrated
- I must go back

Lara

Mozambique

We had a lovely time in Mozambique. It was good to get away for a week. We went surfing, kayaking and on the ocean safari. It was crazy to do those things because in Holland you could never do something like that. But it's a shame that you don't always see things on the ocean safari. It was also really good that besides the activity's All Out planned for you, you can do activity's on your own like quad biking and scuba diving. Mozambique is besides a beautiful country with an amazing landscape. And we had a wonderful time.

maybe the communication, because some things aren't that clear
Nora

The President

Every morning when we traveled to our NCP Bethany we went on a little adventure. We had to travel from Lidwala to Machlania Markets with a combi. In there we always had good african music. The drive would be just 15 minutes but we always had around 30 minutes because we were stopping at every stop for a long time and watched our drivers persuading people to come into our combi which was great fun. At Mahlanya Markets we had to wait again for "The President". The president is a small bus which looks like it would breakdown every minute but still a very remarcable vehicle. At Mahlanya markets we always had a nice chat with local people. We could never be sure that the president would actually arrive so everytime it did we were really relived. The drive with the president is on a very bumpy road. The ride not very comfortable but the view you got on it was breathtaking. You see little houses, lots of mountains and landscapes. When we arrived at Emagonini where we had a little hike to do our adventure was nearly finished. The hike up to Bethany was quite exhausting because it was most of the time very hot. Once we bumped into a herd of cows which was also an experience you only make in Africa. When we arrived at Bethany NCP we always had a new story to laugh about. Thanks to our long and slightly complicated way we have the feeling to have seen a bit of real Swaziland and not just the big cities.

It would be nice if you could spend a little bit more time at the NCP because sth we just started to do sth and already had to go again.
Lianne

Great combination of traveling and volunteering!

Actually I didn't know what to expect exactly when I was planning this trip to Swaziland. Afterwards i'm glad I chose this exciting trip, because of the great combination of volunteering and activities. I saw the big 5 in Kruger Park, did zip-lining through the amazing nature of Swaziland, did snorkeling in the beautiful seas of Mozambique and on the other hand we can mean something to the sweet children at the NCP's. We helped with teaching, cooking and playing with the kids.

All Out is a great organisation and the staff is very kind. They want help you to make it your best experience and they do that very well! The main accommodation 'Lidwala Lodge' is really nice and feels like home within a week. I would recommend All Out to travel or volunteer with, and especially the trip that includes this combination.

Henry

Kruger to Coast Feb 2016

Kruger to coast adventure was outstanding. The week in Kruger to start off the trip couldn't have been more interesting. The wildlife was as amazing as expected. The volunteering after Kruger was rewarding. With the first week building and the second week doing the sports days, it was varied which was necessary to keep everyone entertained, especially in the heat. And Mozambique, was super fun and real chilled out. It was a shame we didn't see anything on the ocean safari but it's part of the risk, we knew that could happen. Quad biking was mad, had to do it twice, couldn't get enough. But the holiday as a whole was serious fun. I would definitely either recommend on do it again myself.

The timings for each working day, maybe a bit longer each day rather than just 2-3 hours in the morning.
Ruben

Good for them good for me

What I love about All Out Africa, that what I did was a wonderful experience for myself but it was also so good for the local communities. I build a variety of things in Swaziland: a platform for a water tank, swings, fixed a roof and much more.

Give the option to do even more volunteering, we had quite some free time, I sometimes would love to do even more.
Rosanne

Nice, but be aware

It was a very nice program. A very beautiful environment. The only disadvantage was the price. It was expensive. Ok I could knew that when I booked, that was okay. But when we did the volunteering, we where expected to buy food and others stuff for the kids. So the costs where much higher. I didn't expect to pay for food for the kids. I wasn't wrong, but I would be nice to get informed before the program started. Not all western people are millionaire!

Although it was a very educational program. We did such nice things, like zip lining and visiting hospitals! I would recommend it, but you have to be aware of the costs!

O, and one note for the organisation. I gathered money for educational stuff for the kids. So I bought books, paper, pencils etc. I gave it to the All out Africa staff to give to one of the NCP's. When I was at home I asked for it: wether the stuff for the kids received the NCP or not, but I did never get an answer from the All out Africa staff. Maybe you could communicate better the next time. Because it is very important for the kids that there are volunteers who are donating stuff. So maybe you could thank them more for the fact that they gathered money and keep them up to date.. That would be more thankful, because next time I am not going to donate any stuff to the kids anymore..

See my review
Philippe

It's been two years, I miss it most days!

My experience was beyond fantastic, I loved Swaziland and the people there very much. My volunteer programme proved very formative and has influenced my career path. I made some incredible memories and although it was challenging, the challenges grew me in a wildly cliche way. The greatest thing was making completely new friends and having a great group to experience Swaziland with. I left with great memories and a lust for life. Highly recommend

Better food available.
Erica

An Incredible Experience

This is my third time on the Build A Future programme run by All Out Africa. Each time I go I meet fabulous people and make new friends. What makes All Out Africa stand out is that the projects do actually make a difference and there is an on-going review process to ensure that this remains the case. The building projects are supervised by Michael who is a very competent builder, a great teacher and a thoroughly decent man. The projects are hard work as everything is done by hand, but this does mean that you are safe and that people from the community can, and do, help where they can. The more involvement from the local community the better as this means that they buy into the project more which, in turn, can help in its success. At every step of the way you have the full support of the All Out Africa staff whose head office is at Lidwala Lodge where all volunteers stay for the duration of their time in Swaziland.
Lidwala is a backpacker’s lodge in a beautiful part of Swaziland called Ezulwini. The staff have always been very helpful, friendly and it’s a pleasure to be there. I would say that the quality of the food can be improved – when you are out working on site all day, the options for packed lunch are limited and basic. But that aside, the atmosphere in the lodge is great and it is lovely to sit on the veranda or by the pool after a long day building and either read, catch up with all the other volunteers or meet the travellers who pass through.

Sabine

It became my home away from home

My volunteer program was the best thing I have ever decided on doing. I was just 18, and never been abroad by myself. I was welcomed in the All Out Africa family do warm and loved. I insteanly felt like I belonged there. The staff was so good and organized. The program was 6 weeks. 1 week kruger park in South Africa. What an experience this was. Together with my group (which is also an amazing experience because you get to be in a group of people who are from all over the world) and with the tourguides you drive through the park to spot the amazingly beautiful wildlife. The tourguides were sooo excited and the took you with them in their excitement. Never a doll moment. The accomodation and food were perfectly arranged.
Then it was two weeks of volunteerwork at one of the NCP's (nursery care point) in Swaziland. This has changed me completely, and no i am not making it better than it was. I became so aware of what I had and what was so unneccerary in life. The kids made me see and feel the value of life. Knowing how little they had and still such joy and brightness in their eyes.
After the two weeks we went to Mozambique. A week of partying, chilling at the most beautiful beach of Praia do Tofo! Ocean safari, fun markets to go to, delicious food.
Then back to swaziland to do another two weeks working at the ncp. Realizing how much you missed your kids at the ncp.
The All aput Africa team is a team that feels like a family. Whenever something is wrong or you had a question or anything you wanted to know or do, All Out Office was always open and there for you. Which made you have no time to feel home sick to your home country.
My 6 weeks in swaziland have been so life changing and i made friends for life. I enjoyed it so much, i have been back for 4 more times to help All Out Africa and work for the company because their work is truly inspiring. It became my home away from home.

The one thing that could be changed (if not already, since I did my volunteer program in June/July 2011) was the transport to the NCP. Some volunteers their NCP was further than others and was more difficult to get there. More guidance could be advised. But I have to add that i have never felt unsafe traveling in Swaziland or ever in general.
Julie,

Go with no expectations but expect the unexpected!

My family & I travelled to Swazi in January 2015 to take part in a building project with AOA. It was a wonderful way to immerse yourself into Swazi life & culture. Each day we grew not individually but as a whole.

Dorming with my partner & 2 teenage sons was a fun way to hear their inner thoughts on what they were experiencing. Every day they happily got out of bed ready for their next challenge, whatever it might be. Not in anyway did they seem intimidated. Instead they confidently engaged with the locals, especially the little children. I saw sides to my sons that I didn't know existed. I think this is largely to do with the wonderful in country team support provided by AOA. There was always someone available if you needed any assistance. Travel & adventure with a purpose is so incredibly gratifying.

Swaziland is as beautiful as is it's people but they do need help....visit the hospital or visit the orphanage to see that we need not apologise for what we have but we do owe it to ourselves to help make a difference! Mum's, Dad's, go with your kids...I've had some of the proudest parental moments ever to date. My only regret was... we didn't stay longer!

Perhaps more pre tour information before arrival
Eg. Tour info for weekend trips rather than waste too much project time
Earlier starts to beat the heat
More tools for larger groups on certain build projects
Probably a few more supplies for lunch making
Include transfers to Ezulwini Valley in overall price
Definitely handy to have an ensuite as a family, perhaps there could be two options available, with or without
Heidi

Changed My Life

I went to All Out Africa-Swaziland through an organization called Interantional Student Volunteers. I went to work with endangered species and wildlife conservation, but ended up doing so much more than that. I learned about the culture and lifestyle, got interact with the people and children, and travel all over the country. At the end of each day I felt like I actually accomplished something. Whether it was weighing baby marabou storks, playing with the village kids, or just sitting with hippos at the water hole, every day made an impact and was an adventure.

All

An Amazing Adventure!...and not just for the Young

As a 58 year old, my month long November period with All Out Africa and their adventure/volunteer "Kruger to Mozambique" program was simply life-changing! Upon arriving, we were met with an enthusiastic team of coordinators and soon teamed up with an equally spirited group of volunteers at their backpacker Lidwala Lodge in Swaziland.

We began right away with a 4 day trip to Kruger National Park to see all the wildlife and ended our time with a 5 day journey to Mozambique on the Indian Ocean. In between these trips we spent two weeks volunteering in various planned activities in Swaziland.

I really liked this format as you were given a taste of volunteering as opposed to being fully immersed into it for a month. I had never volunteered overseas before so I found "All out Africa's" Kruger to Mozambique trip to be a great introduction to voluneering without being overwhelmed.

For me, one of the greatest moments was meeting so many different people from around the world. Especially the young adventurers who travelled through Lidwala and Bamboozi Lodge in Mozambique! Their stories and adventures were truly inspiring.I was so impressed with their spirit and zest to travel the world.

After returning home to Canada, I was approached by my supervisor who found my trip to be quite interesting. Different from a regular vacation. She thought it would be interesting if I shared my experience in our company's magazine which I eventually agreed to. The article was published last spring and I was humbled with the attention received by co workers. They found my trip to be quite unique and some thought they might even consider a vacation like this themselves.

So to conclude, All Out Africa's "Kruger to Mozambique" month long trip will provide you with a lifetime of memories and experiences you will never forget. You'll be hooked on "voluntourism" and will likely never plan a regular vacation again!

Steph

Swaziland is great!

I loved my experience with AllOut Africa - meeting the kids, doing maths classes, visiting the hospital in the afternoons, helping with building a new Care Point (school) and hanging out with other volunteers. The travel was amazing too - Kruger and Moz are amazing!!! Plus, the location of the accommodation in the Ezulwini Valley is great. No complaints!!!

EimearNíFhoghlú

Swazi Experience.... I'll never forget...Thank you!

I volunteered long term in Swaziland with All Out Africa. It was the most amazing experience and I cherish memories that will last forever. I was working on a building project, building a new N.C.P. in the local community. We got to know so many people in the area and got a real feel for the Swazi was of life.
All Out Africa provided incredible support for us during our volunteering time. The project staff, office ataff and accomodation staff were always at hand to help out. I cannot thank them all enough.
We went on a few tours and trips with All Out Africa and each one was brilliant, with top of the range guides, who show you the natural, cultural and social side to life in Africa!
Once again, a big thank you to all at All Out Africa.