Bamboo - Medical Volunteer Programs

Bamboo - Medical Volunteer Programs

Volunteering in the medical field is your chance to make a huge difference in people's lives. Bamboo offers medical related programs in 7 different countries.

Asia » Vietnam
Project Types

Caitie
Ann Arbor, Michigan
University of Detroit Mercy

Top 5 Experiences in my Life!

I really enjoyed my 9 weeks in Uganda and credit GVN and Leslie, the woman in charge of the ground operations in Uganda. I was working in a rural village in Bulenga and specifically worked in clinics and made house visits to community members and their families suffering from HIV and AIDS diagnosis. It was a very different experience than anything I had done up to that point and it opened my eyes to the realization of how little I knew.

There were moments where I felt overwhelmed or unqualified and I found Leslie to be crucial at these times. I learned so much, made many friends and hopefully made an impact in the community. I will always be grateful for my time in Uganda and it helped me to recognize my interest in development work as a career.

I wish I could have definitively stated my time and efforts made a real impact and I'm not sure that they did. However, I'm not sure any program can guarantee that unless you are doing something physical, like painting a school (although then you have to be concerned about taking jobs away from local community members who can also do that task.) I think the best part of the experience was leaving with more questions than answers so the critique is also a benefit, although a frustrating one!

Response from Bamboo

Thanks for your feedback. We always like to remind volunteers that your efforts are part of a continuum, linked to the volunteers before you and after you.

Having worked with the Uganda projects for a number of years, we can definitely see the community improvements over the longterm. Even if you can't see a noticeable change or impact during your time volunteering, it's all part of a larger movement - thanks for being a part of that!

Anders
Norway
Université de la Méditerranée

new experiences

Whatever your background; Costa Rica and GVNs partner will make sure you are offered new experiences that will enrichen your life. That was the case for me as a Doctor.

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel.

We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate locals, know exactly how to ensure that both