Bamboo - Medical Volunteer Programs

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Bamboo.

Volunteering in the medical field is your chance to make a huge difference in people's lives. Bamboo offers medical related programs in 7 different countries.

Caitie

Top 5 Experiences in my Life!

I really enjoyed my 9 weeks in Uganda and credit GVN and Leslie, the woman in charge of the ground operations in Uganda. I was working in a rural village in Bulenga and specifically worked in clinics and made house visits to community members and their families suffering from HIV and AIDS diagnosis. It was a very different experience than anything I had done up to that point and it opened my eyes to the realization of how little I knew.

There were moments where I felt overwhelmed or unqualified and I found Leslie to be crucial at these times. I learned so much, made many friends and hopefully made an impact in the community. I will always be grateful for my time in Uganda and it helped me to recognize my interest in development work as a career.

I wish I could have definitively stated my time and efforts made a real impact and I'm not sure that they did. However, I'm not sure any program can guarantee that unless you are doing something physical, like painting a school (although then you have to be concerned about taking jobs away from local community members who can also do that task.) I think the best part of the experience was leaving with more questions than answers so the critique is also a benefit, although a frustrating one!
Response from Bamboo

Thanks for your feedback. We always like to remind volunteers that your efforts are part of a continuum, linked to the volunteers before you and after you.

Having worked with the Uganda projects for a number of years, we can definitely see the community improvements over the longterm. Even if you can't see a noticeable change or impact during your time volunteering, it's all part of a larger movement - thanks for being a part of that!

Anders

new experiences

Whatever your background; Costa Rica and GVNs partner will make sure you are offered new experiences that will enrichen your life. That was the case for me as a Doctor.