Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Vietnam from $275

Trusted by 110,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam and 50+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 4 volunteer project options in Ho Chi Minh and give back for periods ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Projects include:
- Teaching English
-Medical
- Special Needs Care
- Kindergarten

Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house, with other like-minded travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

• IVHQ’s Vietnam program is available year-round, offering a start date on every Monday.
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $275 - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 15 and 30 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Ho Chi Minh each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 110,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

This Month Only: Get A Free Virtual Volunteer Course

Register this month for any IVHQ volunteer program and get free access to the Certificate In International Volunteering online course from the Global Travel Academy. More than 35 IVHQ programs have already reopened with additional health and safety measures in place + with IVHQ's flexible booking, it's free to change your dates, volunteer program or destination if your plans change.

Popular Programs

Teaching English Project

The aim of this project is to provide assistance to college students in Ho Chi Minh City who are needing to increase their English fluency so they can further their studies in Business Communication, Nursing and Public Relations. This project is well suited to volunteers who are passionate about education and are excited about the opportunity to use the English language to help enhance the career prospects for students in Vietnam.

Medical Project

As a volunteer on our Medical project, you will have the opportunity to experience a new culture, while developing your medical knowledge by gaining an insight into the Vietnamese healthcare system. This is a unique opportunity to gain a greater understanding of differences between medical systems in developed and developing countries. This project is well suited to volunteers on pre-medical and medical students, or those qualified in a relevant medical field.

Special Needs Care Project

As a Special Needs Care volunteer in Vietnam, you will be working within hospitals and community clinics in Ho Chi Minh City, providing support to children and young people, some who have been affected by Agent Orange. This project is best suited to caring and hard-working individuals who are passionate about increasing access to care for young people living with a range of intellectual and physical challenges.

Food Outreach Project

Your role on this project is to provide assistance to a local ‘Soup Kitchen’ to enable them to provide over 500 lunches daily to people from various backgrounds including poor elderly, low-income earners, disabled, students and children. Poverty is still widespread throughout Vietnam and Ho Chi Minh has a large population of people who are unable to afford regular nutritional meals.

For sure, all ages welcome, I volunteered with families, seniors, young adults and mature adults 😊

• 9-10 rating 92.86%
  • 7-8 rating 7.14%
Emi

I felt safe even during time of global crisis

I joined the special needs program for 2 weeks in early March, 2020-- during the outbreak of COVID-19. During my stay it was declared pandemic, and the world quickly turned into chaos. However, I was very impressed on how the local team handled the situation. We had to take our temperature every day, they made us sanitize our hands countless times each day, volunteers who arrived after a certain date were no longer allowed to participate in the medical and special needs program. The local staff were always willing to assist people who had to head home early, and constantly gave us news updates on the situation in Vietnam. After bars, clubs, and restaurants got shut down, the lovely staff organized karaoke nights and game nights to keep us entertained. I think they did their absolute best to ensure our safety, and I felt very well taken care of.
Living conditions were basic, but it was clean, the food was good, there was a good social atmosphere and the staff were super friendly. I was a bit nervous about my program since I had no medical study background and it was a completely new territory for me. But the staff were super nice, gave directions and answered every question I had, and the experienced volunteers help me adjust quickly as well. By the end I was very sad to have to say goodbye to the kids.
Overall, I had a great experience, and I think the staff handled the abnormal and worrying situation very well, proving that they are trust-worthy. Thank you.

Be friendly and talk to everyone! I had so many great conversations with people in all different age groups.
Nicola

IVHQ Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh City Kindergarten Program

I spent two weeks volunteering in the kindergarten program with IVHQ in Ho Chi Minh and honestly had the time of my life!! The staff make you feel so at home and the accomodation is clean and well maintained. There was a variety of food to choose from at meal times and the location is super close to cafes and restaurants. The other volunteers were all so welcoming and had a great attitude, wanting to make the most of their experience.

The kindergarten program was really rewarding and even in two weeks I made so many connections with the children. Although some days are repetitive (singing, dancing, feeding, teaching), the kids really love when the volunteers are there and you can see the difference you're making in their lives. Without the volunteer program, the children wouldn't learn english, limiting there opportunities in the future.

The city of Ho Chi Minh is busy and has so much to do, after volunteer hours everyone was super eager to explore and make the most of their time overseas. Travelling to other parts of Vietnam is also really easy and affordable from Ho Chi Minh and the staff at the accomodation were so helpful with planning weekend trips and providing recommendations. We could book tours or weekend trips the day before we left easily with the help of the staff which allowed flexibility and kept the experience exciting!

Overall, in my two weeks in Ho Chi Minh, I made memories which will last forever, made lifetime friends from all over the world and learnt so much about the rich culture and beautiful landscape of Vietnam. For anyone thinking about volunteering overseas, I would highly recommend the IVHQ Vietnam experience and any of the programs they offer.

Smita

Amazing Experience

I always wanted to do an international volunteer. I chose IVHQ because of the different programs that it offers in various countries. I volunteered with IVHQ in Vietnam in May 2019 for 1 week and it was such a good experience. You meet great people from all round the globe. The staffs were very supportive and always ready to help a hand. Even before you arrive, there is a proper coordination to ensure that everything goes on smoothly. I would highly recommend to choose IVHQ. They are professional :). You also have free time depending on which program you are doing. On the 1st day there is culture day/week and at night a warn welcoming dinner. The rooms that were provided were clean and neat. One suggestion maybe would be to improve the variety for vegetarian foods.

Rachel

Wonderful experience!

I had a wonderful experience volunteering with IVHQ for the medical program in Ho Chi Minh City.

Pros: Incredible local team support, organized daily schedules, fun activities in the city, meaningful volunteer work, wonderful learning experience, hands on, made great friends

Cons: Accommodation wasn't very nice, a little dirty/messy, Ho Chi Minh is a busy busy city so be prepared for chaos, some days could be a little boring while working in the hospital, very very hot (thankfully the accommodation has AC so you can cool off in the evenings)

I would do the program again, definitely, and I did realize that the longer I stayed, the better it got. With an authentic program like this, it takes time to assimilate to the culture, the food, the hospital or whichever placement you are on, and once you're in the grove, you start to make connections and really enjoy your time! I highly recommend!

My advice is to go in with a patient* and open mind. It takes time to get comfortable and acclimate to a new place. I have traveled all over the world and it took me a bit of time to really fall in love with my placement. Everything in Vietnam was so new for me, especially when you're placed in a hospital. I think a 2-3 week placement is sufficient time for the program!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rachel, thanks so much for your recommendation. It's especially fantastic to read how supported you felt from our local team in Vietnam during your time with us and we really appreciate your contribution.
We continuously monitor what's happening on the ground in Vietnam, both on the projects and in regards to volunteer accomodation and food, so we will certainly review the accomodation cleanliness standards that you have flagged. We hope to have you travel with us again soon! ^Courteney - IVHQ Vietnam Program Manager

Nina

My returning trip to Vietnam

My returning trip to Vietnam was an amazing experience. As a prior volunteer, I was excited to work hands on with fellow volunteers and staff. The doctors and nurses were very friendly and happy to answer my questions. I learned more from the different departments of the hospital than last year. My volunteer friends were one of the main highlights of my IVHQ trip because we got to experience the culture and work together. Even though I was able to communicate to the doctors and patients in Vietnamese, I learned that laughter has no language barrier. Overall, I am thankful for another opportunity to volunteer with IVHQ! I would recommend this program for anyone interested in helping the community, learning new culture and meeting new people!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The unfamiliar things I ate were snails and frog legs!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nina, thank you for your review! I'm so pleased you have had another wonderful experience volunteering with us and it sounds like you have made some friends for a lifetime. We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ for a third time! Courteney - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kimberly

IVHQ- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Wow! IVHQ was an amazing program and they really prepared me for my time abroad. The programs were reasonably priced (unlike some of their competitors!) Everything was included as well, which definitely eased some of my worries before the trip. There were very clear instructions leading up to my trip and they were very receptive to feedback. The hosting program made sure everyday that we had no issues and they were more than happy to help us if there were. The staff was amazing as was the food and the total atmosphere. They took a scary experience (going on your own to a foreign country) and turned it into an
experience of a lifetime. I met a family there and it was very sad to end my trip but I can’t wait to go on more. I completely recommend this program as they really care about not only the volunteers but the countries in which they are located! Thank you IVHQ!

What was your funniest moment?
Ha! The funniest moment was trying to explain the difference to a local doctor (I volunteered in a hospital) the difference between a Wedgie and a Veggie as the doctor kept mixing the two up. Definitely a funny moment for the two of us and definitely very memorable!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Kimberly! Thanks so much for your review. It sounds like you had an awesome time getting to know your host family. We can't wait to have you back and plan your next adventure! Kate - IVHQ Program Manager.

Andy

Amazing Medical Experience in Vietnam

Simply an amazing experience! I was only in Vietnam for two weeks, but I worked with so many amazing volunteers and staff members and saw so many beautiful areas in and around the city. The program coordinators here are amazing! Not only are they good at their jobs, providing safe, meaningful volunteer opportunities, but they also are great people to spend time with and get to know. I had high expectations coming into the program, but IVHQ and Green Lion still managed to exceed those expectations! I will definitely be traveling with them again in the future. :)

For the medical placement specifically, just come in with an open mind ready to observe. I learned a lot just from watching the doctors, nurses, and therapists. I even got to watch a couple of surgeries which were very interesting!

Maybe have some more optional group activities in the afternoons/evenings. Most of the time, volunteers just organize on their own, but it wouldn’t hurt to have some planned group outings.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Andy, thanks for taking the time to provide an insight into your 2 week experience on the IVHQ Vietnam - HCMC program. It's great to hear you were able to see the beautiful sights of Ho Chi Minh City while also contributing to the local volunteer projects. I am stoked to hear your expectations were exceeded and that the local team welcomed you into their family with their amazing hospitality. We can't wait to have you back volunteering with IVHQ again some time. Sean - IVHQ Program Manager.

Bowen

Loved it!!! Life time experience

Before this opportunity, I already have a lot of experience working with disability groups and with children by being a Community Support Work at Saskatchewan Abilities Council, and I really enjoyed the work I did with them. This volunteer trip was a great experience to see the differences in mental health support between developed countries and developing countries. It gave me a better picture of how I can utilize my skills to support diverse groups. I was surprising that there is so many skills I used at work are from my study at school. This industry is for sure a place of interest for me in the future.
Overall, I enjoyed this experience very much. First, this hospital is way more organized than I thought, due to language barrier, the hospital specifically signed coordinators who speak English to work with us. Second, I was able to walk out of my comfort zone to work at a developing environment. Most importantly, I was able to use the skills and knowledge I so far learned at school at real work place, it made me enjoy the program at school more and made me more certain that this is the area I want to study and work for in the future. I learned so much from this trip.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to provide this review Bowen! It's excellent to hear you were able to use the skills and knowledge you have gained from your studies on the IVHQ Vietnam Special Needs Care project - I am sure your efforts were greatly appreciated by the staff and students. We can't wait to have you back on another IVHQ program!!! Sean - IVHQ Program Manager.