The Most Affordable Volunteer in Nepal - 25K happy Volunteers Since 2006

Volunteer in Nepal

Do you have the urge to help others? Do the majestic mountains of Nepal call your name? Volunteering in Nepal is a perfect way to fulfill these desires. Lying in the lap of the glorious Himalaya Mountains, Nepal is a magnificent country with deserving people who will truly appreciate your help.
It also offers widely divergent ethnic groups, colorful festivals, and an abundance of unique flora and fauna to become acquainted with. Join one of IFRE’s volunteer programs in Nepal and experience the warmth and hospitality of the beautiful Nepalese people whose lives you will touch.
With opportunities to serve the communities by teaching English, assisting with the health care program, or volunteer with nature conservation, and other fields in three fascinating cities, volunteer opportunities in Nepal are highly rewarding and beneficial to all involved.

• The world’s most affordable volunteer programs – starting at $100.
  • Low Fees are paid directly to host families and projects with absolutely no middlemen!
  • Experience the personal satisfaction of improving the lives of those in need who desperately need assistance.
  • Your one-time low fee cover accommodations, food, project costs, and support by expert and trustworthy local staffs.
  • Your safety is our utmost priority. We fully understand it can feel intimidating to be far from home in an unfamiliar country. But you’ll never feel alone with our 24/7 expert support staff and services.

Corey

Teaching monks

These children need help.
They have very little english, math, basic life skills. They need an education.

I understand the logistic difficulties finding full time volunteers to teach wich makes a teaching programme difficult to organise.

My host family was so dirty, the father asked me for a few loans and feeling horribly sorry for him and his family, igave him some money to help him out.
He still owes me alot of money and i have since found out his ridiculous gambling problem, alcoholism. A family of 3 with no jobs taking money from volunteers when it could be helping the kids, insted the money we pay goes to roulette at the 2 local casino's. (People are free to do as they please but im not happy about funding a casino.)

My host family was extremely controlling and i felt pressured into doing things they wanted to do... then paying for it.

The organisation had no direct contact with the monestary and had no idea of schedule, skill level of the kids or anything. My host family knew 1 monk and that was the only connection.

A more direct contact between the organisation and the place of volunteering
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Hello Corey,

Thank you for taking out time to time to write us an honest feedback and for pointing out the issues you faced in the project. We deeply apologize and regret that we could not help you in time. We would have really appreciated if you had comer forward and informed us of the situation during the program and before you lent the loan to the host family. We were not aware of any of this. We had followed you up but received no response from you during the program. However, we take full responsibility for the situation and though we cannot change anything now, we will ensure that such a thing will not happen to any of our future volunteers.

Sophia

Incredible Experience

I volunteered for 6 weeks in Chitwan doing forest conservation where I helped to build a small farm for which vegetables would be grown and given to the nearby orphanage. Through this I learned how to grow cucumber, okra, soybean and pumpkin and different conditions need to grow each one. Despite it being quite physically challenging i really enjoyed it in addition to the stunning views and great staff. I also appreciated how they listening to my ideas regarding plating trees where we ended up playing roughly 270 jackfruit and mango trees in the nursery. Thanks you also to my lovely homestay for their hospitality and amazing food! Overall I would definitely recommend this project as it really improves your tolerance, persistence and communication skills with the local people.

I would like if there was a more scientific approach for learning about the flora and fauna in Nepal. For example learning about particular species about their behavior and interactions. In addition to more experimentation with growing plants and maybe an introduction to grafting.
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Hello Sophia,

Thank you for volunteering with us and for taking out the time to write us a feedback. We are happy to know that you learned new things at the project and enjoyed your time during volunteering. Also, thank you so much for all the extra effort and research you put into the project. We hope to see you again someday and wish you all the best for your future!

Alen

Childcare in Kathmandu Orphanage, Nepal

On March 2019 I’ve been one week in Kathmandu supporting kids of an orphanage. It was an amazing experience! Starting from the coordinators everyone were super friendly and ready to help you in every situation, communication was super fast and clear, really appreciated. Kids were simply fantastic, with a lot of love to share and a spontaneous smile everyday. I’ve spent one week on helping kids before their shool time on their homeworks, I had free time to visit the city from 9am to 4pm then I came back at the orphanage to help kids on their homeworks after school and let them play at volley, drawing or singing. I strongly suggest this kind of experience to everyone, it has changed me radically, I came back at home with a new mentality and a new heart! I’m feeling rich inside! Last but not least I know that those kids you are Special, they are happy to stay with you and to have someone to share love! For them it’s very important! Thank you IFRE Volunteers for this opportunity!

If you planning to do a volunteering project (whatever it is), just do it! Do not procrastinate it and no kidding yourself! There are a lot of people in the World that are missing your love. Act courageously and listen your heart!
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Alen,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We greatly appreciate that you volunteered with us and help improved the lives of the children at the project. We are happy that you enjoyed the project. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Mitra

Nepal

I volunteered 3 weekes in a small private hospital in Kathmandu nov/des 2018. I choose the origination because they were easy to access and replied me very fast. In a matter of weeks everything was fixed. When I arrived the local coordinators were really sweet, kind and at the same time very honest about everything. The hospital was very interesting because I learned about many unusual cases, it also inspited me to see how they made everything work together despite the low resources they had. But somehow I didn't really felt like I was a recourse or did any difference by volunteering. And not having a task in 3 entire week gets very fast boring, I think the program is more suitable for medical students than practicing doctors. On the other hand I loved the cultural experience I got through the host family I lived with and my coordinators. They treated me really well and included as their family very easily and fast. I learned about Nepali religion, history, traditions and food culture in a very close way by living with and as them. There was nothing touristic about the experience, something I personally appreciate a lot. I got a very good relationship with my coordinator miss Pratima Ji, she was so including and did everything to make my experience unique, I specially enjoyed hiking to Chandragiri with her and her friends, which she arranged only for me.

Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Mitra,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We greatly appreciate you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and are happy that you enjoyed the project. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

David

Nature Conservation & Trek in Nepal

The Staff from the beginning to the end were wonderful. Hom the country coordinator was so wonderful, he made sure that every question we had was answered, we were comfortable and all our needs were met. Hom has a great staff, the driver Gen was always on time and came when he said he would be there at the exact location he said he would be. When he put us on a bus to our safari he made sure there was someone on the other end to pick us up. If you get a chance to go to Chitwan to see the safari go and meet Rajandra he is such a nice man, so proud of his culture and loves to share it. Also the language and culture person was so good and very informative. We were taken around to the various temples and he knew so much about all of them. I can’t say enough about the host family, Raj and his family opened there home to us treated us like family always made sure we were well treated. I was walking home from the medical clinic one day and Raj's brother saw me and he gave me a ride to his brothers home. Everyone was so kind and warm-hearted. I would recommend anyone to go to Nepal. Thank you for the experience.

Overall the program was great. However I would suggest more hands on experience and a nature specialist translator would make this program even better.
mitra

Mitra Said

I have been volunteering for an health program in a hospital in Kathmandu for 3 weeks by now. I am an authorized docter who has been working as a doctor in 2 years after my internship. It was very interesting to observe how they worked in the hospital and I felt I did learn about some rare diseases that I had only read about in the books before. The staff of the hospital was very nice and friendly and if showed enough interest they would always answer me. I have to be honest that I didn't really felt like I was a resource for the hospital, they had enough staff and didn't really need an extra person around to help them. They did everything on their own. I did some nursing assignment in order to keep my self bussy. But after second week I felt like I didn't have so much to do there, I think its because once your are used to work as a doctor its hard to just stay and watch for long time. That is my opinion about the medical program, its more suited for students then doctors in practice. Or in that case for shorter period for doctors. On the other hand, I am really interested in culture and people around. And that I got most of through this program. I loved living with an host family and having my coordinator so close and available all the time. They were very kind and friendly. It gave me a great opportunity to learn about the country, religions, the living and food culture in the very closest way. That is something I really appreciate. They helped me with what I wanted to and were very flexible and understanding, something that made me continue staying here after the second week even though I wasn't sure I was very much of health care resource in the hospital.

Michele

Volunteer in Nepal Hospital

I've been in Nepal for 4 weeks to do volunteers in the Hospital. Just after I arrived in Nepal I met all the staff and they explain everything to me in a easy way to understand. In my first day I was a little bit shocked of the environment because it was my first time in Asia but after few day I became used to it. In the Hospital in Kathmandu they are really used to have volunteers so they can speak good English and they will make you feel really comfortable. I really recommend this project to Medical student because they will teach you everything and you can try to do so on the next patient. In the Hospital they have enough equipment and staff so your help is not needed so maybe for full doctor I will recommend other project. Remember to bring your white apron because if you don't have one you can't stay in the Hospital. I decided to spend two weeks in Kathmandu and the other two weeks in the Hospital in Bharatpur (Chitwan). In Chitwan the Hospital is smaller but the main problem is that the doctors work there just as OPD so they spend just few hours in the Hospital and you don't have much time to speak with them. So ... during my stay there I spent almost all my time with the nurses who couldn't speak really good English so you must be ready to explain with hand gesture. They will try their best to make you feel at home, but if you have just few weeks I will suggest you to stay just in Kathmandu. In conclusion I must say that both Host family are really kind and helpful so you don't have to worry about anything. Come here !

They don't have a Hospital that luck staff member so it will be you that will gain many thing and not the Nepali