SchoolBOX International Volunteer Program in Nicaragua

SchoolBOX volunteers join a friendly and dedicated staff of Canadians and Nicaraguans to build schools in some of the most challenging areas of Nicaragua. On the 10-day adventures, volunteers will spend time directly interacting in the community, getting to know the children, parents, teachers, and officials and working alongside them to build their school.

Volunteers also have the unique opportunity to get to know a side of Nicaraguans that few tourists see: hospitality that comes with familiarity as volunteers will be part of a standing SchoolBOX-community relationship, inviting a more in-depth and substantial experience. Volunteers will also have the chance to see some of Nicaragua's cultural highlights or significant landmarks (like a volcano!). Hard work and dedication is rewarded by relaxing evenings, safe travel and dining, and an experience that changes lives.

Rachael

Amazing Volunteer Experience, 2010

My volunteer experience with SchoolBOX had a significant impact on me and my future direction and choices. In just 10 days, I became inspired by the friendly attitudes of the people and the enthusiastic reactions of the children from the school. Our routine consisted of physical labour tasks, such as moving cement, tying rebar, or painting. But, the most exciting part of the day was recess, when the children would run out to meet us excitedly and teach us their favourite games- skipping, soccer, clapping, and singing. The language barrier was not important, the only requirement being a high energy level and a playful spirit! By choosing this volunteer trip, you support a fantastic grassroots organization that is making a real, lasting difference in Nicaragua.

Perhaps a few more days at the build site would have been preferable (as opposed to some of the excursions)- in order to feel even more connected with the children and community!
Gerry

Extremely Pleased

We helped build a school with our kids in March 2013.

There was an amazing level of support for daily needs (great hotels, a variety of quality food, emotional support & advice). We interacted - lots & positively - with the students & community where we helped, plus the construction crew. There were well planned & fun recreational trips, & also a few spontaneous opportunities we could enjoy (ex. a tour of a brick making operation that we passed by each day on the way to the work site). I'll never forget the celebration party we had with the community on our last day at the work site.

This was extremely fulfilling. When we got home, we all said we wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

It was a great experience. I could have used a bit of a heads up on culture shock. It wasn't significant for me, but some up front advice would be useful.
Sheri

Excellent experience!

I participated with Schoolbox in March 2012. I spent 10 days with them working on a build in Leon. Overall the staff was experienced, helpful, caring, fun, well-liked by the community the serve and passionate about the mission. The building of the school was good, we had a lot of opportunities to interact with the kids. The job site was well organized with a good amount of work to do. The hotel in Leon was comfortable and secure. I was never concerned about my safety during my time in Nicaragua. I would highly recommend this organization.

They didn't have a gift giving policy and that made for some awkward moments on the trip where people in the community were asking for us to give them things. Some of the team members wanted to give $ to people and since there wasn't a clear rule, it was uncomfortable. That was over a year ago so it may have changed now.

About SchoolBOX

SchoolBOX is a team of dedicated people who believe in the power of education to transform the world one child, family, and community at a time. Join Canadians, Nicaraguans, and a world-wide network of volunteers who collaborate to build and equip...