Permaculture Farm Promoting Food Security in Nicaragua

Unearth the World (UTW) has partnered with an educational organic farm that uses permaculture design and agroforestry to support the rural economy and environment on the Isle of Ometepe in Nicaragua.

The project’s goal is to promote food security locally and regionally. The farm’s robust volunteer program offers travelers experience-based learning that ties living in an ecologically and socially sound way with working alongside communities. Volunteers carry out a variety of tasks on the farm according to current needs.

The type of work depends on the season and the particular needs of the farm, but may consist of planting trees, harvesting fruit/vegetables, working on the garden or in the nursery, building terraces, digging swales, weeding, animal husbandry, organic fertilizing and pest control, building raised beds or watering plants and natural building projects. Longer-term volunteers can get involved in the ongoing advancement of larger projects.

Nate

Bona Fide Fun

My family and I had a fantastic experience at Project Bona Fide. The Sabrina and Mitch made us feel very welcome from the moment we arrived on Omotepe. Our time on the farm was very laid back and fun yet extremely informative at the same time. We got to travel to nearly all local attractions while still spending enough time on the farm and the surrounding area to get a good sense of the Project's goals and its profound effects on the local community. I would recommend this program to anyone.

Ellie

Volcano hike

I have never been more physically challenged in my life, but 8 hours later I did it! Mitch might tell you it's a "stroll." DO NOT BELIEVE HIM, but do it. Just know what you're getting into.

The volcano is split into three forests. "The Dry Forest" is the first section. It is so hot and humid but you're still having fun. It's an easy slope up. "The Wet Forest" is the second part. Things are getting pretty muddy, but it's cooled down a lot from the dry forest and you're pretty excited because the views are amazing. "The Cloud Forest" is the third and final part. Things are so muddy you can't even see your shoes from the surrounding mud. You're falling over everything and basically rock climbing up a volcano.

Best experience ever.

About Unearth the World

Unearth the World is a social enterprise devoted to planning meaningful and transformative international exchange opportunities for students, professionals, groups and families. We prioritize social impact, financial transparency, and volunteer...