Nicaragua: Education, Ecology, Micro-finance

Volunteers for Peace offers volunteer experiences from one week to one year in Susuma and Ometepe Island, Nicaragua.

In Susuma, volunteers have the option of working with the school, educating the community on sustainability, or working with a local micro-finance organization. The volunteers will live in Matagalpa, the nearest city, and take a short bus ride to the community of Susuma. Matagalpa is a beautiful city with restaurants, shops, a bustling market, live music, parks, cathedrals, and a large range of activities to keep volunteer busy on evenings and weekends.

Ometepe Island is nestled between two volcanoes and boasting phenomenal beaches and natural biodiversity, our volunteers are constantly amazed by the beauty of this location. Here, volunteers work on an organic educational farm with the purpose of educating the local community about sustainable farming. Leisure activities include yoga classes, waterfall and volcano hikes, beach days, cooking classes, and mor

Sim

My Volunteer Experience

This is a great way to travel, have fun, and make a contribution to the society. I loved how everyone was so cooperative and proactive during the project. Nicaragua is such a beautiful country with lots of natural scenery, unique culture and communities, foods, and many more.

More photos of the project area should be shown to the potential volunteers so that it will spike their interest even more.
RADYS

TASTE OF THE WILD

My only (so far) volunteer project was this past Nov. 2013, in Nicaragua/FInca Esperanza Verde. This was such an amazing experience. We stayed a week long in one of the most elevated mountains I’ve ever been to, reaching 4,000 feet high. From the initial beautiful welcoming by Vivann and staff, followed by a candlelight dinner for all. Our three times a day meals consisted of mostly organic foods from the Finca. We even learned about the different plants/tress and picked out our fresh vegetables to be consumed. Including mint leaves for fresh mojitos!

Our missionary tasks consisted of putting up a fence, digging holes, reforestation of coffee, oaks, and cedar plants. We became educated on the entire coffee process from picking out the coffee beans up to the required standards of the organic farm guidelines, putting them through the mill, selecting and pealing the ones that actually turned out acceptable, drying these beans to prepare them to get transferred to another farm for additional steps of preparation.

One of my most highlighted experiences was having the opportunity to interact and play with the kids of a school of six different grades located in the Finca. The kids were so well disciplined, receptive, and full of life. Even with such a high demand of need from clothing to essential nutrition they posses a strong drive and determination in both academics and even sports. I wish I had more time dedicated to the children.

Although our stay in the finca was pretty booked all day with a full itinerary of things to do, we also had our breaks to enjoy learning about one another and soak all the beauty of this amazing paradise. There are five awesome trails that we explored along with the wild birds/animals. To put it all in a nutshell… Mornings practicing yoga, afternoon breaks lying on a hammock getting a tan while reading a book, attended mass in the local church, one full day in the city of Matagalpa (shopping and site seeing), lessons of how to cook tortillas, making recycled paper as well as our own jewelry out of organic beads.

We stayed in a group bunk bed cabin with a choice of washing with an invigorating cold shower! Believe it or not I actually looked forward to this. It just came with the territory. I would certainly do this all over in a heartbeat. I’m very grateful for this humbling experience and described in one word for me would be purity of simple life;-)

I wish the program would of been at least two weeks. Also, I would of liked to work more with the children in the school. Otherwise, I thought my experience overal was amazing.
Alejandro

Coffee and the rainforest

Having the opportunity to plant baby coffee plants and trees underneath the canopy of a lush rainforest was the definition of gorgeous. Meeting new people and sharing an organic (pun intended) experience is healthy for the soul. We also explored the beautiful 200 plus acres along hiking trails. The wildlife is incredible including sloths, birds, monkeys, and many more fantastical creatures. A camera is a must have.

I think one week was not long enough to truly experience the farm. Lengthening the program may make it a tad bit more expensive but on the flip side the volunteers would get to know one another better as well as acclimate to the food and water. (Water is clean and filtered at the farm and only at the farm)

About Volunteers For Peace (VFP)

Volunteers For Peace (VFP) is a U.S. based non-profit organization that operates within the global networks of the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service (CCIVS), Service Civil International (SCI) and the Alliance of European...