Bright Light Volunteers' Virtual Global Leadership Internship program offer students the flexibility to pursue a global education in their own time and interact with communities abroad from the comfort of their own computer. No travel necessary.
Participants enroll in a five-week, online course, GST 140 Global Service Learning and Citizenship (GSLC), through Bethel University, for three, transferable, credit hours. With guidance from UNESCO global citizenship education, the GSLC course equips participants with the broad knowledge and functional skills necessary to become culturally competent, global citizens and leaders. Via the online course, participants will also interact with BLV's partners across the world and engage in a virtual service project with members of our host communities.
- Rising high school Juniors and Seniors earn three hours of transferable, dual-enrollment college course credit through Bright Light Volunteers' educational parter, Bethel University.
- Earn a Certificate for Global Citizenship from Bright Light Volunteers' educational parter, Bethel University.
- Obtain knowledge and understanding of local, national and/or global issues and the interconnectedness and interdependency of different countries and populations.
- Develop awareness of one’s own personal reactions to those from different cultures (personal biases, beliefs, attitudes).
- Act effectively and responsibly at local, national and global levels for a more peaceful, just and equitable world.
Participants improve their understanding and critical thinking about global issues and the interconnectedness of different countries and populations. They become familiar with UN Global Goals and develop an understanding of how their involvement and service supports the development of a more peaceful and sustainable world.