Rebuild Tacloban Following Typhoon Haiyan

Thanks to dozens of volunteers from around the world, we’ve already helped more than 7,000 survivors get back on the road to recovery. We need volunteers to join us and help build homes, work with kids, deliver food aid, rebuild schools and much more!

Anttoni

An IDV Volunteer in Tacloban

My Experience as a volunteer for IDV in Tacloban has definitely been a positive one. I've been staying at their base for five weeks now and IDV have been able to provide a variety of interesting projects to participate in, as well as three nutritious and tasty meals a day

The safety standards are also high at IDV, as volunteers are given proper training regarding projects as well as general health and safety related education on frequent basis

I can recommend IDV for anyone who's willing to spend some time abroad doing volunteer work for a disaster affected community

Sofie

A fantastic adventure!

I have been in Banaba with EDV for 2 weeks now and I absolutly love it! I have had the oppurtunity to help out on the construcion sight even if I did not have any experience from it before and I have learnt a lot (like building a roof!). Its hard work but a lot of fun and the local organisation Buklod Tao, that we work with, is absolutly helpful and appreciate our help to 100%.

We have no started with IT-training for some of the members in Buklod Tao and the first lesson went great. To work with the EDV is a great adventure for me and I really hoped that I had more than 2 weeks left! If you want to volunteer I can strongly recomend EDV, here is something for everyone and you will not regret it!

Nicole

Amazing and worthwhile experience! Do it!

I arrived about three weeks ago to volunteer at EDV’s here in the Philippines. EDV is momentarily supporting a local organisation called Buklod Tao which is focused on helping people in areas vulnerable to flooding and disasters by running disaster risk reduction and prevention management.

From the very first moment I felt very welcomed and integrated in the EDV team. The atmosphere is comfortable and pleasant. We are working during the day either in the office or directly on site at Buklod Tao, and relaxing in the evening and just having a good time. But not only the EDV team makes me feel so comfortable here, it is as well the experience with the locals and the Filipinos as such. Always helpful and smiling, making your stay as much as pleasant as possible.

EDV is running different projects from capacity building to different programs, such as youth or IT programs. I am supporting right now the paralegal team from Buklod Tao by running a paralegal program in different areas, e.g. Violence against women and children, allocation of funds for disaster risk prevention and management as well as procedures against activities with negative environmental effects. Since Buklod Tao showed interest in these areas, and already had started to work on some of them, they were very pleased to have a lawyer to support them with their issues and help to enforce their interests and legal rights, as well as giving them advice and directions how to proceed on their own once I have to leave.

My experience working with them is just amazing. I have seldom seen so much commitment and enthusiasm, especially the variety of their ideas and their straightforward approach to tackle the problems impressed me massively. Besides, the people are so thankful for any help and support with their problems and issues - I was stunned how much they show their gratitude and it demonstrates me that it was definitely the right decision to join EDV in their project here.

This is one of these experiences you will never regret. Just do it.

If you are doing a specific program as I do in a shorter period of time, then of course you will not always have a chance to see the outcomes while you are here, which is a bit of a shame. Therefore, often it is worth considering to stay longer, especially because it could be a bigger support for the community of Bukod Tao. But on the other hand, it is always possible to keep in touch with the people and support them via Internet from abroad, so any support - either for a few weeks or for longer is always a help.
scott

Hands on and completly emersing

As i am a builder i worked on the evacuation centre site. We were welcomed by all the local community and i found the experience very rewarding. There are, however, other projects to contribute to. The local youth group is fun and dynamic, there are flood defences and erosion control measures to get stuck into and even boat building for rescue boats when the floods do come.

The EDV have a lovely house to live in, where you will be welcomed and very well looked after. The community you will live in is very safe and very friendly.

I am a firm believer in the EDV's approach to volunteer led programs with carefully placed funding where it is truly needed and has the longevity to make a real and sustainable difference to peoples lives.

only thing i would change.......air con
Christian

fentastic experience!

I am volunteering with EDV now for the third time. The first two times were in Port au Prince, Haiti and I can say that it is again a wonderful time that I am allowed to spend here with the people of the community as well as the other volunteers and staff members.
The workers on the construction site of the Evac-center, which almost a hundred families will use in the case of the next floodings, are very warm-hearted, welcoming and funny. I did not expect to be integrated into a construction crew of the size of 27 Philippinos this quickly, but it happend as it did for the other three volunteers that are currently working there with me.
It is always fun to have a crew from so many different countries and work with them. We are one man from Finland, one from England, one from St. Helena and me, from Germany...

I can totally recommend to volunteer with EDV, if you are open to people, want to have fun doing something good and experience a great community!

I wish that we had more volunteers here at this time already, but I guess that it is not so easy to get started with a program if you have more than 20 people there already. I am sure that will be the case next time, though!

About International Disaster Volunteers

IDV is an England and Wales Registered Charity that helps disaster affected and at risk communities worldwide find sustainable solutions to the problems they face.

At IDV, we focus on long-term disaster recovery. This means that rather than focusing...