Teacher Assistant at Rural Farm School

We are located near Malmesbury in the Western Cape of South Africa. We offer volunteer programs and accommodation. The main program is the assistance for teachers in multi-grade classrooms of rural schools including help with homework, as most parents are illiterate, and teaching sports, art and culture.

We are also in the process of opening a Youth and Women's Center. There are a few rural schools in need with too little teachers to be able to give enough attention to all the children. The children suffer due to that. We found children in higher grades that cannot read because there is just not enough people to give individual attention.

The volunteer house is a home away from home and you become part of the founding member's family. 3 Balanced meals are served with fresh fruit to snack on in between meals. We also off Wi-Fi, a swimming pool and aircon in your room for the hot summers.

Milanie

Growth is a process

I started thinking it would only be for a few weeks. I will be the one who comes to help. But my viewpoint quickly changed. I've been here for months. Unable leave because of the love I have for this. For them. I had to learn patience in areas I didn't even think I needed patience. I had to learn how to think fast and adapt to change. Growth is a process. You think you're here to serve, and you are. But in the process of serving you learn so much more about yourself. You learn new dynamics when it comes to loving people. Loving people simply because they are alive. With no strings attached and no hidden agenda. I think the biggest thing I learned while volunteering was, kids are the one's who are the best teachers. Not adults. You learn more from them than from books. Just sit down with them. And hear their hearts. A whole new world will open before your eyes.

Misunderstandings can occur because we're human. Good communication is vital and there's always room for improvement.
Andrea

One Heart, my family.

Volunteering in one heart was something that marked my life. In this place I learned and received much more than I had to give. The people who work in this beautiful foundation are a Christian family that lives to serve those most in need. The house where the volunteers lodge is beautiful, safe, comfortable, clean, cozy and the food ea very healthy and exquisite. I will surely return to this foundation accompanied by my family. It really is something that is not enough to describe it, you have to feel it.

Hailey

Incredible experience

My time here was absolutely amazing! Not only are you supported by Selene and her family but you get to experience rural South Africa. Selene is an incredible woman, she is extremely friendly and made me feel part of her family. I felt totally comfortable and safe staying here.
The projects that she creates are purely for the benefit of the children of Ruste Stastie Primary School. On top of having a family and a restaurant business, Selene still finds time to not only organise projects, raise funds, find volunteers and dedicate her time and energy to her charity, but she also runs free bible classes for the students and counsels them. She is a truly inspiring woman.
The children of Rust Stasie are absolutely beautiful and are so happy to have volunteers come and visit their small community. They were very interested in my travels and life back in Australia and asked me endless questions. When I left I got a lot of lovely notes from them thanking me for coming to their home which was really touching.
It was a great experience helping in the school and living with Selene and her family for 2 weeks. I will never forget my time and hopefully will return one day.

We need to help get the word out about Selene´s projects and as I have been travelling I have been telling many people about this program. Funding would be a major help to get more projects up and running
Ashley

My experience

My time with One Heart was absolutely amazing! i would recommend this organisation to anyone looking for a really warm, supportive, caring, fun environment. The work with the school you undertake is incredibly rewarding, the kids are the most loving children you will ever meet and will give you back 10x what you put in. Any help you can give is extremely appreciated. Living arrangements are really comfortable and they go above and beyond to accommodate you and make you feel welcome - by the time you leave you really feel apart of the family! This organisation is still very new but they have already made such a noticeable difference and have great plans for the future!

Response from One Heart Christian Foundation

We loved having you here Ashley! And we will always keep you in our hearts. Thanks for being a part of these children and our lives.

About One Heart Christian Foundation

We are a non-profit company that works with the youth in the rural area near Malmesbury in the Western Cape of South Africa. Our mission is to close the gap of distance and cost to teach less fortunate youth to reach their true potential in life...