Affordable Volunteer Programs in South Africa from US$250

IVHQ offers highly affordable volunteer programs in Cape Town, South Africa. Projects are available in a variety of fields including teaching, surfing, computer technical support and sports development. Volunteering in South Africa is a great way to make an impact in largely impoverished communities, and learn about a variety of development issues in the process. Programs start on the first and third Monday and volunteers can choose to join the program for anywhere from 1 to 24 weeks with program fees starting at US$250 for 1 week.

Available Volunteer Projects with IVHQ in South Africa:

• Teaching
  • Childcare
  • Computer Training
  • Sports Development
  • Surf Outreach

• Programs are available year-round in South Africa at affordable prices starting at US$250 for 1 week
  • The IVHQ South Africa program starts on the first and third Monday of every month and volunteers can join for 1 week up to 24 weeks.
  • Projects are based in the Capricorn/Vrygrond community in Muizenberg on the outskirts of Cape Town
  • South Africa program fees includes airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.
  • A special one week program is available for those after an introduction to South Africa and volunteering
  • Options for weekend travel are endless; volunteers can explore Cape Town, climb Table Mountain, explore coastal villages or go further afield for a safari.
  • Read the great reviews IVHQ alumni have left about their experiences in the South Africa, and visit the IVHQ website to start planning your trip!

Deanna

Amazing Experience!

This was the best experience of my life! I have always wanted to travel and volunteer abroad and IVHQ made this so fun and easy.

During the week we were able to volunteer and take in the experiences we wanted while leaving plenty of time to explore the country for the weekend. The South African organization has ties to several tourist organizations so highly recommend taking a safari on the weekends.

Highly highly recommend this organization if you want a new way to travel and give back.

Britania

Childcare Project- South Africa

Prior to making the decision to volunteer with IVHQ, I did my research and read many reviews that were positive. Now with firsthand experience, I can attest to the organization’s tremendous ability to effectively provide volunteer abroad opportunities for anyone. I volunteered in South Africa for three weeks on the Childcare Project. Before, during, and after, IVHQ program managers have kept an open line of communication; ensuring smooth transitions between the numerous aspects of volunteering internationally. IVHQ made international volunteer accessible and trouble-free. Moreover, teaching, comforting and encouraging children who have little to nothing, yet wear a smile each day, was the best experience of my life thus far. My weeks spent volunteering in a township of South Africa weren’t meant to change the world. Instead, I intended on leaving a lasting impact on each child I came across. IVHQ helped me to do just that.

Britania

South Africa Childcare Project-IVHQ

Laura

IVHQ South Africa

I had one of the most amazing travel experiences with IVHQ. Volunteering in South Africa has been a trip of a lifetime. IVHQ was always supportive (as well as Dreams to Reality). I felt safe when I was in their accommodation and they were very good with communication. We were driven to our volunteer location every day and picked up, the meals were great, and I met so many people from all over the world. Working with the children at Sunrise was such an eye opening and incredible opportunity. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested, you won't be disappointed!

Michelle

Spent 2 weeks in Cape Town doing the childcare program

I volunteered in Cape Town doing the childcare program for 2 weeks and it was amazing. I wish I could’ve stayed longer, but unfortunately I couldn’t take any more time off school. Arriving at the daycare every morning and seeing how happy the kids were to see me was such an amazing feeling!! They were the cutest and always had something they wanted to tell me. They were the best part of the day and I miss them so much.
I’m really glad I chose IVHQ to travel with. They had so many projects and so many destinations to choose from at such affordable prices compared to other volunteer companies. The staff at my placement were also so nice and welcoming. I met some really cool people as well. I would love to volunteer with IVHQ again in the future, and will definitely stay longer because 2 weeks wasn’t enough!

The only thing I can think of is providing more updated information during orientation. Some things we were told weren’t true or didn’t apply anymore.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to complete the review Michelle! We would have loved to have you for longer but I am sure that you got as much out of the 2 weeks as you could, and the time you put in was appreciated by the local team, local staff, and the children. ^Claire - IVHQ South Africa Program Manager

Ash

Unique volunteer experience

Loved my trip to Madagascar!! Was so cool to hang with like minded people on a beautiful tiny Madagascar island while working hard to make a difference! Was really special to have 3 different programs staying at the one camp! Loved chatting to other people about what they got up to each day! Work was hard but rewarding and we got plenty of down time to rest, socialize and enjoy the island of nosy komba! The staff were cool and friendly and the wildlife was amazing! Would 100% do the exact same program again!

Wish there was more variety in food! Expecialy for people with dietary requirments
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ash, Thanks for taking the time to submit your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time volunteering while travelling, and enjoyed the social aspect of camp, and island life! Both myself and the local team would love to have you back anytime. ^Claire - IVHQ Madagascar Program Manager

Charlotte

South Africa

This was my first volunteer opportunity out of the country & I was scared but IVHQ put me at ease & basically provided everything I needed to feel comfortable safe & at ease in a new surrounding. They thought of everything & I can't wait to do it again next year God willing. Taking care of the kids for 2 weeks I fell in love with them & it gave me a new outlook on life. For me this was what life is all about giving & being in service & Pure True Love

It's perfect!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your kind words Charlotte, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your first volunteer abroad experience, and look forward to having you join another program in the future.

Maura

IVHQ Victoria Falls - Exceeded All Expectations

I did this IVHQ Victoria Falls program as a semi-vacation from work and was expecting to have a relaxing, yet physically demanding experience at Nakavango - just a restful break from work. I thought 2 weeks was nowhere near enough time to truly connect with the local team and country - but I was wrong! I ended up connecting incredibly well with the reserve manager and gained a real understanding of the local people's conflicts with wildlife, and how that intertwines with national and international politics, trade, and economics. It was absolutely fascinating and the volunteering itself was incredibly rewarding. If felt amazing to be outside all day with such wonderful people and to be contributing my small part to the overall project. I studied environmental policy in college and work now for an environmental NGO, so this program was right up my alley and is a perfect jumping point for anyone interested in environmental justice, land/wildlife, and international relations issues. The animals are pretty spectacular as well!

Better orientation when you arrive - there is a bit of a learning curve! But you figure it all out after two weeks.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for sharing your awesome review! It is great that you were able to learn from the wealth of knowledge that the local team have, and I know the local team enjoyed teaching you, as much as you enjoyed learning.
IVHq Victoria Falls Program Manager

Hannah

Trip of a lifetime

My trip to South Africa was the best 2 weeks of my life! Volunteering with the kids was so amazing and I loved each of them so much. I would recommend this trip to anyone with the desire to travel. My favorite memory was hiking table mountain. The hike was fun and the view was breathtaking. My favorite part of each day way waking up and going to help with the kids. The staff was so sweet and helpful. I also enjoyed going out at night. The night life was very fun and the citizens of South Africa are extremely friendly and fun people.

Nothing needed to be improved
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Hannah, it is great to hear that you enjoyed waking up each morning to spend time with the children, and also had the opportunity to explore Cape Town. It is an amazing place with so much to offer.

Destiny

Best experience ever

This was by far the most amazing experience of my life. It was super easy to make friends with the other volunteers and by the end of it I made lifelong friends and was sobbing when I had to leave it felt like such a family. I did 4 weeks childcare and extended for one more week and did surf program, the kids were amazing and everyday I looked forward to getting up at 630 to make it there because they were so filled with love. It was definetly the hardest goodbye. The surf program was amazing and I wish I had knew about it earlier because I would have stayed another month, surfing all day was the coolest thing ever. Capetown and muizenburg were so beautiful and offered so much, I miss everything so much and I know I will be back. Best program ever. You won't regret it.

Absolutely nothing it was awesome.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for your review Destiny! It is great to hear that you have made some new life long friends, and to hear that enthusiasm you had for the children and the work. We look forward to having you return, and nail those surf skills!

Annie

My Cape Town Experience

I absolutely loved my time spent in Cape Town with DTR through IVHQ. Although I only spent two weeks, I felt as if I grew so incredibly close with my fellow volunteers as well as the kids I worked with every day. The experience truly gave me more of an open mind and made me thankful for all of the privileges I have here at home, and this has driven me to want to return so bad. The kids really filled my heart with so much joy and love and I could tell that I was doing the same for them, it was moving. If I were to return, I'd want to stay longer, as well as pack more accordingly to weather. My favorite memory was either my safari trip, or simply playing with the kids outside on nice afternoons.

Possibly more organization with our placements and instructions of what we are supposed to incorporate with what we do with the kids.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Annie, Thanks for sharing! We are so glad to hear that you loved your 2 weeks in South Africa and we would love to have you return in the future.

Jonathan

Life Changing

I've always dreamed of a trip to Africa, never did I expect it to be so rewarding. Wildlife has been a passion of mine since birth and on top of that African wildlife seemed to be the crown jewel. Being able to come work with a program where I can not only support wildlife, but see for the first time what I've been missing my entire life; while still contributing efforts to help wildlife and protect the lands so these amazing creatures may flourish. The connection I felt with this place made it feel I was leaving home, what's meant to be my home; and returning back to just where I live when my 4 weeks were over. I look forward to going back next year! In the beginning I had thought I wanted to travel everywhere, now all I want to do is travel back to Nakavango in Victoria Falls.

Not one single complaint. Absolutely perfect program.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for your awesome review of the Victoria Falls program! We are so glad to hear that you had a rewarding experience and we can’t wait to have you back next year!
Claire – IVHQ Victoria Falls Program Manager

Picture
Julie

IVHQ South Africa

I did not know what to expect when I boarded my plane to Cape Town. The first day we had an orientation that gave all the volunteers extremely useful information about the program, the country, things to do for weekend travel, and more. Each volunteer got to say where they were from and a fun fact about themselves. This was a good opportunity for everyone to get to know one another better. We then had lunch and walked through Cape Town where we were given more useful information about city center and transportation. The team and all the volunteers then had dinner that evening and had more opportunities to get to know everyone.
The first day of our volunteer experience was better than expected. The team made sure each volunteer was comfortable with their placements. IVHQ South Africa has different projects you can chose from. I was on the teaching project, and got to work along side with a teacher teaching grade R. Each and everyone one of the kids had so much love to offer. I got to help them with their school work and help the teacher organize and get work done. All the kids were intelligent and had a lot of offer. In the two short weeks that I was there, I believe the kids have taught me more than I was able to teach them in a short amount of time. I really enjoyed my teaching program experience.
The volunteers had plenty of time for weekend travel and activities. The team helped us organize things to do. I was able to visit so many places around Cape Town and in South Africa including Cape Point, Boulders Beach, Table Mountain, and more. I even got a chance to take a safari and to bungy jump!
Some tips for future volunteers is to bring warm clothes. It can get windy and cold during the winter months. Another tip is to not over pack and to bring the important stuff like adaptors, vitamin C, cameras, a blanket, etc. If you're thinking about volunteering with IVHQ South Africa, do not hesitate. It's an experience of a life time!
My favorite part about the trip was meeting all the great people along the way. From IVHQ, to Dreams to Reality, to all the other volunteers, and people I met throughout the country, they were all so welcoming and humble. For me, it was all the great people who made the trip special. I would recommend this trip to my friends, family, and future volunteers!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Julie, Thanks for your great review. We are so happy to hear that you had an inspiring volunteer experience, explored the beautiful sites around Cape Town, and made close friendships while on the program in South Africa. Thanks for sharing your awesome video and for being a great IVHQ volunteer, we would love to have you back!

Daniel

Beautiful Place, Beautiful People

I was extremely fortunate to spend 10 weeks in Cape Town volunteering with such an incredible organization. Dreams To Reality, a small, young organization making a big impact.

I was part of the Surf Outreach program working with ~20 kids aged 8-14. The obvious passion for the sport and the lifestyle by the kids and the surf instructor, Phila, made the importance of such a program is immediately clear. Not only is it a way to keep the kids attending program occupied and out of imminent dangers and troubles they inevitably face at home, but it is a healthy outlet for them to hone a skill and forge friendships. There was truly nothing better than seeing the kids show up every day excited and smiling to see you and to sense the appreciation they have for the encouragement and empowerment they receive from staff and volunteers alike.

The accommodations. The program and its volunteer housing is located in the surfers town of Muizenberg. It is in my opinion serene. Mountains meet plaines and the expanse ocean in false bay. You are a short walk from any of the houses to the beach and surfers corner, the area with grocery stores, restaurants, etc. Also a short walk or ride to a few hiking trails and nearby towns such as Kalk Bay.

Despite being enrolled in the surf program, I, as well as other volunteers had the opportunity to see they other functions of Dreams To Reality. I was permitted to attend the other programs, such as Child Care and Sports Development at a couple of local schools. This gave me the opportunity to see again just how much this organization means to the community. Enough cannot be said about the staff. While running a tight ship, they maintain personal connections with the volunteers and the kids in the community. I left feeling very much like family. Something I don't believe to be an experience unique to me.

I would 100% recommend this opportunity to anybody and 100% look forward to visiting again.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Daniel, Thanks for your beautiful review! It is awesome to hear that you looked forward to seeing the kids arrive each day and understood the impact that he Surf Outreach project has on these kids. It sounds like the South Africa program was ideal for you in regards to the amazing location, the volunteer work and the staff support. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an exceptional volunteer. Welcome to the IVHQ family!

Eve-Marie

an amazing experience

I've wanted to do a volunteering trip for a long time. I looked on the internet for programs but most of them were really expensive and didn't seem trustworthy. I asked my friends for advice and IVHQ came up a lot. My friend Juliette and I looked at the list of places that we could go and we decided to go to South Africa in the childcare program. We were anxious before we arrived in SA, but as soon as we landed and saw that someone was waiting for us, we were reassured. We stayed in Royal house (one of the six houses) and we loved it! The houses are in Muizenberg, a city 30 minutes away from CapeTown. We were very comfortable and the staff was kind and caring.
We started the childcare program on Wednesday because Tuesday was a holiday in SA and we were there for 2 weeks which isn't enough in my opinion. The program is located in Capricorn, a township near CapeTown, in a childcare facility named Sunrise. As soon as we met the kids, we fell in love with the place. We also had a lot of fun with the other volunteers visiting CapeTown and Muizenberg. Everyone is very nice and welcoming and the child are charming. The kids were always calling us teacher, they were very cute. I would definitely recommend this program and I will do it again for sure, it's an experience of a lifetime !!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Eve-Marie, We are so glad that you and Juliette chose to volunteer with IVHQ in South Africa. It is awesome to hear that you loved your time in Muizenberg and enjoyed your volunteer placement. Thanks for your recommendation and for trusting in our organization. We would love to have you join us again!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...