• South Africa
    • Cape Town
1 to 12 weeks

Program Details

Pricing

Fully hosted experience from only $250 for 1 week - this includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support.
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Apr 26, 2021
Apr 20, 2022
93 travelers are looking at this program

Trusted by 113,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the world's most popular volunteer programs in South Africa and 50+ other destinations around the world.

Choose from 10 meaningful and life-enriching projects, ranging from Teaching and Sports Development in Cape Town to Wildlife Conservation in the renowned Kruger National Park.

Your fully-hosted experience includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ offers a multi-layered support network, so even before you depart, you’ll receive outstanding service from your IVHQ Program Manager and gain exclusive access to volunteer training and preparation tools.

Are you ready to immerse yourself in a new culture while making a difference? Join our community of travelers who have spent over 7 million hours supporting local communities.

Program Highlights

• IVHQ’s South Africa program is available year-round, starting on every Monday of the month
  • Fully hosted volunteer experiences starting from only $250 for 1 week - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You'll be joining a global network of 113,000+ volunteers backed by the world’s leading team of volunteer travel experts - IVHQ’s outstanding safety systems and track record set them apart as the world’s safest organization
  • Support impact-driven volunteer projects run by locals within your host community
  • Flexible booking and free changes so you can register with confidence

Popular Programs

Childcare Project

As a Childcare Volunteer based in Cape Town, you'll help enrich the lives of children by supporting day-to-day activities at a local childcare center. Tasks include teaching, tutoring and caring for children, organizing games and activities, and helping with general duties to ensure the center runs smoothly and efficiently. This is a unique opportunity to explore the stunning city of Cape Town while giving back to the local community.

Teaching Project

Many primary schools in Cape Town run off low budgets, with few teachers, high workloads and little chance for students to get close attention. As a Teaching Volunteer, you'll be placed in a low-income primary school helping to create better learning environments and education standards for children aged 7-14. You'll support teachers by teaching subjects such as basic Mathematics, English and more.

Sport Development Project

Are you passionate about sports and youth development? As a volunteer on this project, you can share this passion with children who don't typically have access to physical education at school. Based in either Cape Town or Table View, you'll have a chance to explore South Africa's beauty while helping local children develop their physical and social skills.

Surf Outreach Project

Regardless if you're a pro surfer or just a beginner, you can join IVHQ's Surf Outreach Project and help provide structure, learning and new skills to children from disadvantaged neighborhoods. Divided into two parts, you'll first work independently with a surf instructor to develop your own surfing skills, and then work with children from the community to help improve both their surfing abilities and general life skills.

• 9-10 rating 95.38%
  • 7-8 rating 3.08%
  • 5-6 rating 1.54%
Noah

Great Time With IVHQ

My time with IVHQ was unforgettable. I got to experience a new culture, meet lots of interesting people that became lifelong friends, and most importantly help communities that were in need. It is an experience that will stay with me for a very long time. It was incredible to see the immediate impact the volunteers had on those in the community. If you are on the fence about going, I would tell you to just do it. It's really a once in a lifetime experience that you will remember for years to come.

Noritaka

My FIrst Volunteer Placement in Cape Town

This was my first volunteer experience.   Renae, Ben and Izzy of Outreach 2 Enrich were terrific hosts.  The camaraderie with the other volunteers was excellent.  We did many activities together like watching the sunset on Signal Hill, renting a car and driving to the Cape of Hope, seeing the penguins on Border beach, walking and having lunch in Bo Kaap to name just a few of the activities.

The best part of volunteering was the opportunity to work with and teach the children from the Capricorn and surrounding townships.  It had its challenging moments but overall very rewarding.  The pre-school kids are so pure and innocent.  They give their trust and instant love and affection.  It can sometimes be very overwhelming when >10 of them want to hug you at the same time.  The 5 graders I taught had its challenges.  At times I felt I was more the enforcer than the teacher, but at the end we were able to establish a mutual respect and had a great time together.   I miss the teachers and students and hope to come back to Cape Town to see them again.

There is nothing more rewarding than making the people around you smile.

If you are interested in seeing the beautiful Mother City, Cape Town, IVHQ is a great organization to work with to experience giving back surrounded by absolute beauty.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While in Cape Town I had the opportunity to eat raw ostrich and springbok. Cooked crocodile tail. And the most interesting item was the Palm weevil larvae.
JULIEN

International Volunteer HQ South Africa

On my first IVHQ trip to Ghana 2 years ago, I realized that it would not be my last.
Now, 2 years later after Kenya and Tanzania, South Africa was my 4th.
Living in the same volunteer house with 20 or more outstanding adults from around the world was truly awe-inspiring. The camaraderie of all the volunteers quickly established a bond between us. Our local hosts, Renae, Ben and Issy treated us like family.
The care free and cheerful children at the schools, on the soccer field and on the beaches made it an unforgettable experience.
Add the weekend excursions to Capetown, Table Mountain and Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope and IVHQ becomes an awesome adventure, not to be missed
I'm looking forward to my next IVHQ adventure next spring to Madagascar (Ocean Outreach) and Jordan (Food Outreach)
Julien Comeau, Canada, age 77

Alejandra

Best weeks of my life

Volunteering with IVHQ was incredible! I'm 24 and I'm from Guatemala, I had always wanted to volunteer in Africa and with IVHQ it was possible. The process to apply was super easy and reliable, I didn't know anyone from Guatemala who had done this before, but from the beginning they earned my trust. I spent 3 weeks in Tanzania and 3 weeks in South Africa, and it was the best experience of my life. In Tanzania I was in the HIV / AIDS program, in which I learned a lot and felt the impact that I had on people, but especially the impact that people had on me. In Cape Town, I was in childcare, taking care of children from 4 to 5 years old, and I can easily say that those children stayed with my heart. In both places I met incredible people, lived unforgettable experiences and met impressive places. The only thing I regret is not having been longer. I can't wait to continue traveling the world with IVHQ.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Extend my time, not enough time! I would do at least 6 weeks
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Alejandra, thanks for your review of our Tanzania & South Africa programs. It's great to hear that you had such a rewarding experience on these projects. Your contribution to these communities is greatly appreciated. We look forward to having you volunteer with IVHQ again soon! ^ Stacey & Kaila - IVHQ South Africa & Tanzania Program Managers

Safa

Together

4 years ago I lost my dad, I was the youngest in my family and it was so difficult, I felt that I want someone to help me and to stand with me again.
This project gives me a lot of power, I felt that I’m alive again. And all I need to feel myself and to be better is to help another children, because I know exactly what they feel. I called the children “my beautiful munchkins”, they were so warm, lovely and cute. I will not forget this days. The accommodation was super great because we were volunteers together, that helped me to meet new people simply. Also the food was delicious and varied. I recommend this volunteer trip for every single person who want to feel better, to make a difference in their life by giving without limits. It really was a life changing experience.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Safa, I am really sorry to hear about your difficult time when you lost your Dad, but we are so happy to hear that IVHQ's South Africa program helped you heal and make peace with your loss. It is really special to see that you had an awesome bond with the children, and I have no doubt they loved spending time with you while you volunteered on the program. We would love to have you volunteer with IVHQ in the future! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Emma

South Africa

I just got back from my two week volunteering program with IVHQ and it was amazing, here I was able to see a new country and work with the locals. Would recommend!
I was able to meet the other volunteers that were from all over the world and work with adorable children and amazing teachers. I was able to do this on my own and be feel while being completely safe. The staff are lovely and help you with any questions you have as well as offering advise.
I have been able to make an impact on others life’s while gaining incredible experience, I would definitely do this again for another country and another program.
While I was in South Africa I had time to also sight see and go on a safari. The organisation gives you time in the afternoons and weekends to do as you wish. They provided places to go and companies to see about safaris, bungee jumping, shark cage diving and so much more

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve racking thing I found was the trip over but once I was picked up by the organisation I felt completely safe and calm for the rest of my time in South Africa
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Emma, it's great to hear that you had a wonderful experience with IVHQ in South Africa. Thanks for volunteer with us and we would love to have you back! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Nour

Volunteering in South Africa with IVHQ

Hello! I am a 21 year old Lebanese girl and I volunteered with IVHQ in Muizenberg, Cape Town, South Africa for the Teaching Program for a duration of two weeks.

I assisted the Grade R teacher at Steenberg Primary School. My daily tasks would include playing with the kids outside, assisting them doing their colour/numbers/writing work, helping them doing puzzles, play with blocks, tell them stories, or help with athletics. I had to cut fruits for them at the end of the day.
All the volunteers were always picked up from the accommodation to the school in the morning and then dropped home from the school at the end of their program by a driver working with the local team.
My room in the accommodation consisted of three bunk beds with three big closets. We were 4 to 6 girls in the room. The staff's room was right next to ours and the boys' room was in front of ours. The boy's room consisted of 3 bunk beds as well. We had a toilet for boys, and another for girls with western toilets and showers. The kitchen had many shelves and we were able to keep our food there in case we bought any.
On week days, three meals were included in our program fee. The food was mostly carbs oriented, but we were welcome to complement it with proteins or vegetables from the supermarket which is 5 min away by walk. Also, the people with specific diet requirements had their own food cooked for them. The food was enough for everyone.
A living room with three couches was right next to the rooms and was a great place to chill with other volunteers.
The local team was very nice and always greeting us with a smile. They knew each one of us and would always ask if we are happy.

This volunteering accommodation really felt like home for my two week stay.

Outside volunteering hours, the volunteers are welcome to enjoy the city and go sightseeing. Cape Town really has a endless list of touristic attractions!
From shark cage diving, to crocodile cage diving, to seal snorkeling, penguins, safaris, hikes... You won't stop touring! I even did skydiving and it was a lifetime experience. I personally hiked Elephant's Eye hike and Table Mountain and those two offer amazing landscape sceneries with hidden gems along the way. Also, the Muizenberg beach is just a 5 min walk (or even less depending on your accommodation), and it is one of the most recommended places to surf in South Africa!

If you get ever the chance to volunteer there with IVHQ, never miss this opportunity, it is a life changing experience!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nour, it's amazing to see that you had a once in a lifetime experience on our South Africa program. We are pleased to hear that you were always greeted with a smile and felt the local team were nice! We hope to have you volunteer with us again in the future! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.

Ralph

2 Weeks Teaching in Cape Town

I volunteered in the Teaching Program with IVHQ in Muizenberg, Cape Town, South Africa for 2 weeks with my girlfriend.

For the accommodation, I was placed with 4 other boys in the room where I had my own bed and closet space. A girls room was next to us and each of the boys and girls had separate bathrooms. Also a kitchen and common living room were available. On the weekdays, we were given 3 meals per day from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food was carbohydrate heavy and sufficient for the stay as enough food was available for everyone with specific diet requirements cooked accordingly upon request. The housekeeper was very polite as well. For a volunteering program, it was really more than you need and a great place to stay.

For the volunteering program, we were placed in Steenberg Primary School assisting a teacher with 30 Grade R kids. The kids were very cute and super fun as they are hyper all the time. We would help them with the class assignment, play with them in the playground, and assess them basic color matching and mathematics numbering exercises. The classroom had the basic amenities needed for the school year. We even left our mark with a painting on the classroom wall! It was an amazing experience and one that we will definitely go through again.

A driver from the program picked us up and dropped us off back to the accommodation every school day. He was usually always on time.

For the city, there are abundant activities to choose from. We were lucky to have done shark cage diving, a safari, and skydiving as main attractions. Other activities were hiking Table Mountain through the Skeleton Gorge trail, visiting the beautiful city of Cape Town and exploring it, surfing, visiting Boulders Beach where penguins are found and the most South Western point of the African continent in Cape of Good Hope as well as many other activities.

This experience is truly one that will be missed and I hope to have a similar one next time!

The Staff really emphasizes during orientation about the safety of the country but most volunteers just take it in as a joke. Showing real examples maybe would make volunteers more cautious.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Ralph, it is great to hear from you and that you really enjoyed your time in South Africa. It is always pleasing to hear that you got along with the children so well and took part on some awesome tourist activities! Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ! Acacia - IVHQ Program Manager.