SAVE Volunteering Humanitarian Projects

Surf project SAVE
We are doing fingerpaint
We are doing fingerpaint
Pure love.
That smile and those eyes makes me happy.
All my kids.
One day we made moustaches out of PlayDooh. The kids just love fantasy play a lot... and selfies obviously ;)

SAVE Volunteering is a Non-Profit Organisation. We are NOT a booking agent: we run, manage and fund all of our Humanitarian and Wildlife Projects with the help of volunteers.
We believe in transparent and sustainable programs that impact our local community and wildlife.

The volunteer fees go towards, food, accommodation, transport, orientation and the rest of the money gets donated to the NPO for running costs such as stationary or meals for the children and meals for the Wildlife.

Join one of our amazing projects and leave with a life-changing experience!

• Help us better the lives of the children on our Humanitarian projects and the Animals on our Wildlife project.
  • Educate children to better their future on our Humanitarian projects and build structures and homes for our animals on our Wildlife projects.
  • Form a relationship with our children and see the world through their eyes on our Humanitarian projects. Protect Africas Wildlife on our Wildlife projects.
  • Learn about conservation and Africa’s wild animals on our Wildlife projects. Learn about patience and hard work on our Humanitarian projects.
  • Have a close animal encounter with some of the human tolerant animals on our Wildlife projects. Spend time with children in need of your affection and attention on our Humanitarian projects.

Luci

Turning point in my life

A friend told me about the SAVE Adventure program and he was so excited I immediately booked my trip. When I left I really needed the escape from Holland since it was super busy and stressful with university and social life. Form the moment of arriving I was in good hands. They showed us around Capetown and the group of fellow volunteers were beyond amazing and we became good friends very fast. I never wanted to go to bed, just to spend more hours awake at SAVE. Also, waking up was never so easy and fun since I got to work with all the people around me and the kids again. I felt like a kid myself and enjoyed every bit of it. It made me reflect on my own life, and I found out what is important in life for me. I would have never been the person who I now am, without the SAVE experience. Everything was well arranged, there was plenty room for own projects, if anything they support that. So to conclude; take on this adventure! It is definitely worth everything. The organisation takes care of its volunteers, its staff and its kids in the Townships. It is very trustworthy. Have fun!

Rolf

Best experience ever!!!

My experience with SAVE volunteering was so incredible that it’s hard to find words to give justice to everything I gained from working with all the kids in Cape Town. From each activity, I have personally learned many valuable life lessons in helping others. I began to realize that there is nothing more valuable than helping people who are not able to help themselves. In a world today that's so revolved and obsessed with money, it was fulfilling that I did something to make a real difference in the life of these little kids.

Overall the work was far more rewarding than I expected. I've learnt so much and I wouldn't trade this experience with anything else. I’ll never forget the smile some of the children gave me. I've volunteered three times with SAVE by now and I can recommend everyone to volunteer with SAVE :)!!! I don't know when, but I know that I'll go back one day!

Enjoy every moment that you're in South Africa (before you realize you're back home). And most important of all: make new friends with people from all over the world. You're making lifetime experiences in South Africa so it's very nice to share this together with other volunteers.
Mali

My stay with save

I volunteered with save for three month on their educare program and it was the best three months of my life! The kids and the teachers gave me so much life and inspiration. The relationship I built with the two teacher at Good Hope will forever be a most valued memory. I am so happy to be back and working with SAVE. Working in the community everyday is a true privilege i’m very grateful for. I think volunteering with the projects save offers is a valuable and educational time spent that everyone will take wisdom from. Instead of a nice vacation in fancy places, you should come here and do something meaningful for our dear kids and community. The accommodation the volunteers stay in feels like a home and the staff is always very helpful if we feel like we are missing something and making sure we are comfortable.

Lynn

Awesome

It’s amazing to be a part of something bigger than yourself. I met such an amazing people, every single one had a different way of living. Togheter you help the kids to have a better life. You will love the kids with you’re whole heart. Education is the best weapon to change the world. Save is not just a organization, save is a family where you can be a part of. The food was cooked by such a sweet women. But you have to understand that she has to cook for more than 40 people, and they also need the money for food in the townships. So the food is good! But different than you maybe used to. The location is perfect, close to the beach, supermarket, shoppingmall, little restaurants, 30 minutes to the center of Cape Town and there is a swimmingpool.

Be open minded. Meet new people all over the world, be ready for new adventurens and help the kids at the project with the best you can.
Bryan

One of the best experiences of my life

The staff at SAVE absolutely make this experience amazing. Cool, down to earth, helpful, I can’t say enough about them. The projects are fun and impactful. The kids are great and you can see this program is making a difference for them. I did the holiday project which consisted of beach days, surfing, educational scavenger hunts at the waterfront, hiking and more. The Table View location is a short walk from a nice beach with plenty stores and anything else you could need nearby. You will have some down time and days off to explore. There are some amazing hikes nearby like Lion’s Head and Table Mountain. Downtown Cape Town isn’t far at all. This was an experience I will be forever grateful for and hope to come back soon! Thank you SAVE!!!!!

Come with an open mind and willing to lend a hand where ever needed. Make friends and explore the area
Alina

Volunteering at SAVE

I’ve been volunteering at save foundation for 8 weeks and I totally loved it. It was easy to get into the program as the staff is really welcoming and concerning about that everyone feels well. The orientation helped a lot at the beginning. The program itself is good organized and a lot of diverse things are going on. The organization is really open if you would like to do any adventures. Also the surf was such a fun time!! All in all it has been a very good time there and I would highly recommend to go there :)

Natascha

Amazing Volunteer experience

I had an amazing volunteer experience with SAVE. I was on the Sunshine project and the surf project - and on both of the projects I learned a lot about my self and the world we are living in. The culture and the way of living is so diffent from what I am used to, which was really good for me to experience the difference in way of living.
The organization SAVE is a good and structured organization and I am really glad I choose them for my stay i south Africa. The staff are good at involving the volunteers and they all have a lot of creative ideas and a good heart for the job they do!
the kids are amazing and have such at big cheerfulness and as a volunteer you learn a lot from them and you really connect with them!

I was quite happy for my stay, so I wouldn't say anything should improves.
Karen Cha

Hartees Animal Project - African Wildlife Protection

This project is so great! The people on this project are so friendly and dedicated (Gail, Cassandra etc.). We stayed in Hartebeesport together with our team leader Cassandra, which was very, very safe! And Cassandra is really kind.

I especially liked the project, because we did a lot of varied jobs during our stay: we worked with monkeys, cheetahs, elephants, owls, cats and dogs. And we did a very meaningful job!

I can definitely recommend this project, if you like animals and want to do a difference.

Nanna

Nanna review

I only have one bad thing to say about saltycrax and that is that it is hard to be 11 people coming together there, when you don’t know each other yet. But if you are traveling a few people together it is amazing! The staff is so helpful and passionately about their job! The project with the children works excellent and you really fell that you get the right tools to make a difference. It is a really amazing project with amazing staff and volunteers behind it

Maybe more games to make the volunteers closer between the different houses, schools and programs
Ashley

Loved it all!

I spent 4 weeks in Table View and absolutely loved spending time with very young kids in the morning and older kids in the afternoon sports. Having variety kept it interesting and each day was less repetitive. Although I traveled in the winter months and was often unable to actually do swimming and surfing with the older children in the afternoon, I still enjoyed getting to know them a bit better when things did not go as planned on a cold/rainy day. All these kids will always be in my heart, as well as all the other amazing people volunteering a part of their lives to help these children!

I think Monday’s are a wasted day and all volunteers should go to school, even if it is only a half day. Additionally afternoon projects are often communicated to the volunteers so late that we had to rush to ensure the equipment, food, and volunteers were all ready to go.
Sydney

SAVE volunteering opened my eyes to so many things. The amazing staff were fantastic to work with. They create a great work environment both in the schools and within the volunteer houses. I worked at Honey Bee Educare in Dunoon and had a fantastic expirience working with the teachers, kids, and other volunteers. It was a life changing expirence.
I would return to Cape Town in a hearbeat if i could. I hope to be able to some day.

Thomas

My experience

I would work more with the kids. Actually they are the reason why most of us came for. I don't understand why we don't wor on mondays for example. Then I would wish a better allocation of the volunteers. While we are until 6 person in one class, in other schools they have to control a class with 30 kids by theyr selves.
But nertheless it's a nice programm and a good opportunity to have a first experience in the world of the volunteers.

Alina

The best weeks of my life

I spent 3 weeks in South Africa, Cape Town as a volunteer in Adventure Surf Club project. I tutored kids with Math and English in Vissershock Primary School. It was rewarding everyday because I could see someone learning something new. The breaks were great with all the kids at the primary school.

It was crazy to see where the kids were from and how unbelievable and authenticly happy they were regardless. I loved how the kids were so positive, energetic, and just full of joy around us. Whenever I saw a kid sad, I tried my best to find out what was wrong and give my all to them.

Hundreds memories after I learned a lot more about myself that I would have ever expected. I got to live through exciting, fun, and teaching experiences. It made me realize what fills my heart; help others to feel happy inside and out. During the project I found joy and connection on a surfboard. SAVE’s project made my future more clear and I am forever grateful for that. I will never forget this project! Until we meet again! <3

I would love to have a ”godson/-daughter” to support afterwards when the project ends.
Razeen

Amazing Experience

This experience was one of a kind from the volunteers to the staff to the kids. The people apart of my program were all friendly and there was never a dull moment any day. The children were excited and energetic everyday and so happy to see me and the other volunteers. It was definitely an experience being able to see firsthand the township of Dunoon in Cape Town and the lifestyle and culture. To fully enjoy the experience I’d recommend coming with an open mind and the willingness to do anything and everything to help no matter how small or big the task.

Diana

My time as a volunteer at SAVE

My time with SAVE was one of the best experiences in my life! I was at the surf project and we had skate and surf club in the afternoon with the children. In the morning we went to different schools and worked as assistent teachers. I was also there during the holidays and we had holiday club with tje children where we took them to museums, cinema,hiked, ice skating and much more. The thing that made the biggest impact on me was that you always felt like you made a difference! I never worked with children before my time with SAVE and I was a bit nervous. But after the two months I was there i learned so much about myself and that i want to keep on working with children in the future! For me it was a life changing experience!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About SAVE Volunteering

SAVE Foundation is a registered non-profit organization (NPO) that assists communities in Africa. We are NOT a booking agent, all of our community projects are run and funded by our local NPO/ Foundations on the ground. Our work involves setting up...