SAVE Volunteering SOUTH AFRICA

SAVE Volunteering is a Non Profit Organisation. We are NOT a booking agent, we run, manage and fund all of our Humanitarian Projects with the help of volunteers.
We believe in transparent and sustainable programs that impact our local community.

The volunteer fees go towards, food, accommodation, transport, weekly socials and the rest of the money gets donated to the NPO for running costs such as stationary or meals for the children.

Join one of our amazing projects and leave with a life changing experience!

Volunteer with Children

• Adventure Surf Club: Spend time with children helping them learn to swim and surf, as well as taking part in various activities such as hiking, educational classes and teamwork.
  • Settlement project: Work in settlements with disadvantaged children helping educate them with valuable life lessons, helping with events, fundraising and running fun days and sports activities.
  • School and Edu-care Assistance: Work in a school or settlement Edu-care center giving lessons and managing the class, building relationships with the children and watching them grow.
  • Disabled School Assistance: Learn about and work in a local township by assisting the people that the rest of the township does not understand. Create mind stimulation and provide physiotherapy for them.
  • Sport and Youth development: Spend most of your day outside enjoying the sunshine whilst you assist in sport programs; help develop the skills of the children and helping lower socio – economic problems to make a difference.
  • Kite Surfing Outreach project:Learn how to kite surf and teach disadvantaged children to swim and kite surf, with flexibility enabling you to choose your hours of work.

Volunteer with Animals

• Animal Care and Protection Project: Work one on one with animals of all kinds of species through educating the public, mass sterilization and providing support for rescued animals.
  • Great White Shark conservation: Learn about the behavior of Great White Sharks and other species and spend time at sea obtaining help, support and encouragement from Marine Biologists.
  • Pre Vet Project: Experience a real working conservation and wildlife management programme that includes game capture and release of elephant and buffalo tracking.
  • Wildlife Sanctuary: Work hand on hand with big cats such as lions, cheetahs and tigers. Assist animals that once had no hope and learn about conservation and Africa’s wild animals.
  • Hartees Animal Projects: Learn more about animals through interactive hands on projects. Interact with elephants, monkeys and other animals.
  • Wildcat farm/Sanctuary: Work hand on hand with big cats such as lions, cheetahs and tigers. Assist animals that once had no hope and learn about conservation and Africa’s wild animals.

Skills Development Volunteering

• Skills Development: Run your own project in order to utilize your own skills, and using your initiative to create timetables and activities to help the children develop skills.
  • Skills and Computer class assistance: Teach computer skills, lesson planning and working in the ‘Big Green E – Machine”. Drive the sports development initiative and provide support to a local orphanage.

Eeva-Liisa

Best place for volunteering

Best time of my life. Staff were amazing and helpfull and everything works good. The projects are amazing and everything has been organized so good. The staff are big hearted people and they take good care of volunteers. I have been there twice volunteering in different projects and both times has been so Great. On your free time you can do so many things and explore amazing places. I have made life time friends over there and once you go there you will want to go there over and over again and never Leave.

Inger Lise

The best month in my life so far

I would highly recommend volunteering with Save. It is definitely the most meaningful and fun thing I have done in my life so far. The staff are lovely, food is great, safety is a priority and it will definitely give you a wider spectrum of life.

I did the surf program. We were with the smaller kids at their school in the townships until lunch, and went to surf with the bigger kids after lunch. It was great to get to know the bigger kids too as their English is pretty good. I felt safe and learned a lot about surfing even though it was my first time even seeing a surfboard (and I am a bit scared of the ocean). I would definitely do the surf program if I were you!

Some kind of heat in the houses
Maria

5 amazing weeks

Weeks filled with a lot of new experiences, strong impressions, smiles, laughs and new friendships. I learned so much from volunteering for SAVE, and I will remember this for a lifetime. The staff are wonderful and so helpful, and the work we were doing were rewarding in so many ways. I did the surf project, and the combination of working with the younger kids in the morning and the older kids in the afternoon suited me perfectly.
Will definitely come back one day!!

Hannah

Volunteering in South Africa

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Cape Town, volunteering with Save. During the three weeks I have been here, I have experienced volunteering at sunshine educare project with the younger children, holiday club and also at Vissershok with the older children - all experiences which I have loved and learnt a lot from. My time here has gone so fast and I wish I was staying longer. The staff are amazing and I shall miss it a lot.

Hannah

That all volunteers are up to date with the schedule - could do a group chat?
That all volunteers have found out more about their projects before they come here - can select which ones they will feel more confident with and the ones they will have more to give.
maud

My amazing experience with save in South-Africa

After my university studies i decided to look for a unique life experience and this is exactly what I got during my time with Save. First of all working with kids was an unique manner to learn more about the african culture. Secondly the social atmosphere with other volunteers was a great experience. To end the day the afternoon projects were the ultimate way to get to know the kids in another scenery than at the school. Sporting together is fun.

Vilde

Amazing time in South Africa

I really enjoyed my time volunteering for SAVE foundation. It was a blast working with the adorable kids in Dunoon township. I met a lot of nice people, and got to see a lot of Cape Town. The place we lived at was really nice located, close to the mall and public transport. The staff at SAVE was really kind and helpful. I will definitely come back!!!!!I highly recommend volunteering for SAVE foundation, it was a life long experience.

Salome

My feeling

This journey awsome thanks to the kids thanks to Gail thanks to the support . It was unique and it has given me desire to do voluntary again maybe in an other country but with save if possible. So thanks for this incredible experience and for this "enrichissement personnel ". Kids were the kindness' everyone was listening to us and builting again well removing the school make us believe we can always do better and improve ourselves in every situation.

More volunturing
Kieran

Excellent

An amazing opportunity to work with the fantastic people of SAVE and the amazing people of the townships. I've been twice and looking to again in the next 12 months. I assure you will live the experience and make life long friends.
Working with Gail and the rest of the team Nikki and the kids with the variety of programmes available.
Our plan is to return again in the next 12 months to work with the kids again.
Originally volunteered 2015 and 2017

Jess

Incredible Experience Part 2

In 2016, I volunteered with SAVE as a little 16 year old. I loved the Educare Project at Sunshine School, my fellow volunteers, and the staff at SAVE so much that I came back this year! This project is for everybody and anybody who is willing to dedicate their time for the benefit of others, no matter of age. I was doubtful about having a better experience this year, but miraculously I did. I now feel as though Cape Town is a second home and the people I have met are a second family. Outside of project, I have made friends from all over the world and gone on adventures all over Cape Town! Project itself, however, is by far the most rewarding and enlightening experience I have ever had. While you spend countless hours teaching and assisting the students, they spend just as much time teaching you about yourself. The students are eager to learn and share laughs with you, all while claiming a piece of your heart. I returned to Cape Town to continue and further the impact in which SAVE makes daily on the lives of many underprivileged children. By far, volunteering with SAVE here has been the most incredibly rewarding, fulfilling, and fun experience of my life. SAVE does an amazing job of ensuring that we all feel safe, comfortable, and have a good time during our time in Cape Town.

Sjeel

Best 2 months of my life!

I loved my time in South Africa, Cape-Town. I was part of the surf project, loved working on the preschool in the morning and spend some time with the older kids at swim, skate or surf in the afternoon. The best thing about this project is that the kids are so happy with so little. This project really shows that volunteering work can make a big difference. Besides the "work" i met so many great people from all over the world, some of them became friends for life. The housing was perfect, in a nice and safe neighborhood. Would love to come back sometime.

Molli

Love this program!

I really enjoyed working at Hartees Wildlife Project! One of the things I loved was that we got the chance to work with different animals at several different locations. The monkeys were the best because they would try to jump on our shoulders when were were doing feeding! The leaders were great because if we wanted a tour they would arrange it for us. The area is fairly quiet, so expect to not mingle with locals much. But the volunteers are from all over the world so it makes for a great social experience!

more outings as a group because they're so much fun
Caitlin

Safety Concerns with SAVE

I participated in a SAVE volunteer program and unfortunately ended up leaving early. I did not feel welcomed, respected, or safe while working with SAVE. I was placed in a room without a lock for my first night. My program fee included three meals a day but my house did not have a refrigerator to store food, and there was no food left at the other houses where they told me to eat. There was poor communication between staff and volunteers which left me feeling confused about the work we were doing and uneasy about the program.
I am not necessarily trying to discourage anyone from working with SAVE because I am sure they are doing good work and making an impact in the townships; I just want to make others aware of my experience so they will be prepared and know what to expect.

This program would benefit from a more organized, clear orientation; better communication between staff and volunteers; a clearer program description; and greater concern for your volunteers.
No, I don't recommend
Jessika

Volonteering with SAVE

This was my first long travel alone. I have learned more about my self during this travel, like how I handle social situations etc. My favorite memory with the kids was that one girl wondered Where I have been when I haven't seen her for 2 weeks. Also that during holidayclub when we where playing soccer, one of the kids started to call me "Messi". And a couple of weeks later that was my name for this kid. My favorite memory is also that you become so tight with the people you hang out with, you become like a family. One tips is to ask as much as possible about the projekt when you get there, also ask questions about how the people live etc, Because you learn much from it. This travel gave me perspective, to see another angle of live and What people sees as important. It have given me things to think about.

You can start with to have a more structured welcome, to give more information etc. You can also have activites for the new ones, more socials, so they feel welcomed. You should also plan how many volonteers you can take, considering transport etc. Always Give the intruduction, even when you are at holiday club, cause it can feel like you be frowned into the project. More communication between staff and volunteers would also be nice, so that everybody knows what's going on.
Minouka

A lot of love and a forever lasting impact

When I first entered Wings of Hope, the preschool I was working at I would have never thought that the children would make my heart grow so much. Although, finding ways to teach the children, keeping them quiet and learning about a completely different culture were challenges I was facing at the beginning, I soon fell in love with their ability to make you smile just by being themselves. I was very surprised about how willing the children are to learn and how fast they do so. If you like children, teaching and experiencing something different and new, this is a place you will enjoy. I do, however recommend that you stay at least one month, as this will allow you to get to know the children best, learn more about their routine and personalities and for you to really settle down. Nevertheless, besides the work, you will meet amazing people from all over the world with whom you get to enjoy everything that Cape Town has to offer.

More communication. At times it has been unclear to me what was going on, what was expected from me, especially because I did not have much teaching experience beforehand.
Emilie

Unique experience!

Working with kids that live under the most unimaginable circumstances have a way of opening up your eyes to what truly matters. I work on a school back in Denmark where my students have every opportunity in the world to succeed and be happy. Still I've never been met with such gratitude like I did at Zusakhe, the kids there had nothing yet they smiled at the world like they had everything. Materialism means nothing to them compared to love and affection.
A story i would like to share is about a very special little girl named Inam. She has the biggest heart I've ever met. I can't give an example of a special big gesture she did but I can honestly say I've never before met a kid that cared so much for the other kids. Every time we went to the bathroom she would let the other kids come first. She would always share her lunch snack with the entire class and whenever someone was cold she would offer her hoodie.
I really miss this girl. She was very quiet and still if she was missing for just one day, it affected the entire class.

I think everyone working for the program is doing a great job! Continue the hard work you're doing. It's very special and important.

About SAVE Volunteering

SAVE Foundation is a registered non-profit organization (NPO) that assists communities in Africa. We are NOT a booking agent, all of our community projects are run and funded by our local NPO/ Foundations on the ground. Our work involves setting up...