• South Africa
1 to 40 weeks

Program Details

Guesthouse Hostel

Pricing

Price varies among projects. Please check our website for a more detailed overview of our projects and their respective prices.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 10, 2020
Jun 05, 2022
9 travelers are looking at this program

PMGY offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the coastal town of Cape Town and also on a world-class game reserve near Kenton-On-Sea in South Africa. Volunteers in Cape Town get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care and working with special needs children. Volunteers on the 'Big 5' game reserve enjoy hands-on involvement and a rich education in Conservation Management

Our programs in South Africa run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here.

Program Highlights

• Most Affordable – PMGY’s programs are accessible to everyone who wants to make a difference, through low fees and high-impact projects.
  • Best Support – Our international and local teams provide extensive around the clock services to assist you every step of your PMGY adventure.
  • Safety Prioritised – With safety a PMGY number-1 priority, we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure our programs are as safe and structured as possible.
  • Extraordinary Experiences – With PMGY, you have the opportunity to truly immerse yourself in amazing cultural and travel experiences, ensuring you leave with unforgettable memories.
  • Friendships for Life – Your PMGY experience not only opens up a doorway for new experiences and exciting memories, but also life-long friendships when meeting new people from around the world.

Popular Programs

south-africa-childcare

In stunning South Africa, help provide essential childcare facilities to struggling families in some of Cape Town's poorest communities.

south-africa-teaching

Teach English and a range of other subjects to underprivileged children from government schools in the stunning setting of cosmopolitan Cape Town.

south-africa-wildlife

As far as hands-on conservation experience goes, this project, set in a world-class game reserve is second to none. The ultimate Big 5 wildlife program.

africa-encounter

Spend a life-changing 6, 9 or 12 weeks of volunteering across the world’s second-biggest continent in Ghana, fascinating Tanzania & epic South Africa!

Pavlos

Great

The experience during my time volunteering with PMGY was simply perfect. The experiences I gained, from the program exceeded my expectations. Even though I could only go for one week with a friend of mine the local guide managed to show us everything we needed and although a couple more weeks would have been great when I left I felt full of experiences and memories. On top of the great activities I perticioated in, the people I met were amazing. The locals that guided me throughout the activities were as helpful and friendly as they could and they provided a personal experience during the entirety of my trip. The other volunteers I met the days the program lasted are very social and we started talking and sharing stories almost immediately. It was unfortunate that I had only one week time though and I didn't manage to bond with the rest of the volunteers as much as I would like. All the things I did during my stay though was perfect. I went in safaris where I observed and took photos of the wild animals mostly in the morning and one time in the afternoon when the animals that hunt in the night were out. Another lifetime experience was our visit in a village nearby where we gave food to a school and played with the children. In that particular village there had not been volunteers in two years so the excitement and happiness we provided to the children was truly a once in a lifetime experience and made me appreciate some things I took for granted.

Pros
  • People I met
  • Things I did
1 person found this review helpful.
Spyros

Awesome experience

The volunteer trip to South Africa was a unique experience that you live once in lifetime. First the country of South Africa has the most beautiful and majestic landscapes I have ever seen. The nature and the wild animals combined just astonish you! The program was perfect when it comes to the transportation, quality of accommodation and food in the reserve and staffs communication and friendliness. Especially the staff were so kind and caring that are one of the main reasons that I would return to the program just to see them again and see how they doing. The program has the full Africa safari and animal close encounter experience that it promises.

Pros
  • Friendly staff
  • Nice food
  • Close animal encounter
Cons
  • The work was too easy and basic at least for me
  • I wanted to contribute a bit more
Jakub

The best volunteering program!

I took part in the SOUTH AFRICA WILDLIFE RESERVE VOLUNTEER project. It’s possible to arrange pickup from the airport so you don't have to worry about getting to the volunteer site. The place is very clean and meet western standards. The accommodation on site was beyond my expectations, food was very tasty with a choice of many dishes at each meal. Free water is always available.

Activities included things like tree chopping, fence clearing, building fences, giving water to animals, feeding animals, and more relaxing activities like animal counting, game drives. There is also something like a wild cats hospice, besides the reserve, so if you are worried that you won’t be able to see the cats in the reserve, you have nothing to fear because there will always be some in the hospice. In addition to work, you will also learn about the animals that live in the reserve, you will learn their names and the most interesting information that will be provided to you by the caretakers and volunteers who were there before you.

I was in Kwantu in October (the beginning of spring in the southern hemisphere), so the weather was perfect, warm but not too hot, only rained a few times.

All the people working there and the volunteers are very friendly and helpful. They often work with volunteers to improve the place. There is a very nice atmosphere.

PMGY's pre-departure support was very helpful and quick. The volunteer handbook I received was comprehensive.

You don’t need to have any special skills to take part in this volunteering. Comfortable work clothes and cloth gloves will be useful. Most of work tools are guaranteed.
Natalya

South Africa big five

Overall I had an amazing trip, met lovely people and contributed effectively to help preserve the area. I had lots of help and support before leaving so I knew exactly what I needed, the handbook is very useful and you should scan it before leaving. Whilst in South Africa the staff were very friendly and provided help whenever it was needed. The accommodation was average but was always kept clean by everyday cleaners which was very good. We did conservation work and even though it was tough, it was good fun and we were never overworked and we were never forced to do any work if we didn't want to.

It could be more organised so we know what we're doing during the day so we know what to bring and what to wear.
elisa

once in a life time

I will keep this short and simple because this is the way I am. I've been to Kariega reserve for 4 weeks, been surrounded but lions, allies, rhino. There isn't actually word that can describe this experience because it's just magic. I've been dreaming this probably for my entire life. I was so happy to speak with baboons in the morning, helping young turtles to survive, been able to live the bush experience

I would say that probably a more control over the age of the volunteers will be better. I've been sharing this experience with other 9 18 years old ladies. I'm 29. Nothing wrong with that but we weren't having a lot to share and talk
Hannah

Kariega 2016

I've just got back after two weeks in South Africa where I was doing the wildlife conservation programme on Kariega game reserve. Whilst there I had the fantastic experience of being around magnificent wildlife whilst contributing to conservation projects that I was privileged to be a part of. The support I got when I was in Africa was brilliant, I never felt lost or clueless. More importantly I felt that I was prepared for anything that could be thrown at me. The information I was given before leaving was great also, I had all my questions answered and pretty much everything I needed was in the volunteer handbook that I received. My advice to anyone considering volunteering with pmgy is simply to just throw yourself in at the deep end. This might sound like strange advice but it's what I did and I can tell you that I got far more out of this experience than I ever imagined I would. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. Just don't let anything hold you back. And there is no such thing as a stupid question. I urge everyone to go for it, I've met amazing people from all around the world who are now lifelong friends.
Thank you to everyone at pmgy for giving me this life changing experience

Elle

Cape Town voluntary work

I chose to go to South Africa with PMGY and have not regretted it for one minute. I'm staying in Cape Town in the volunteer house at the moment with 30 other people from all over the world - even just living in the house is such an interesting experience, so much fun and so great meeting so many different people. I also lived with a host family at the start of my stay which was a good experience, it's much quieter with a host family but gives you a chance to really get stuck in with the volunteer work. Cape Town is a great place to live in and work in - so much to do yet volunteering here as well really opens your eyes and proves how much help is needed here.
PMGY have been brilliant, even just as I showed interest they were immediately engaged in what I was asking them. They put a lot of effort and time into answering my questions completely and would check up on my planning progress if we weren't in touch for too long. They really put me at ease about the whole trip and made it much easier than many other companies that I got in contact with. Plus I've just chosen to extend my volunteering experience here for 6 more weeks which speaks for itself about how enjoyable this experience is! You won't regret it :)

The allocation of volunteers in Cape Town was not reflected in the needs of the placement at the time I went. I believe this was more up to SASTS than PMGY but is definitely an aspect that needed addressing in 2013.
Lisa

What an amazing trip!

I was in Cape Town for a month, volunteering in the childcare program and it was an unforgettable experince! I fell in love with the city of Cape Town and with the babies that I took care of! I met so many great people in the volunteer house with whom I could share this adventure and spend time with. Cape Town offers a beautiful and diverse landscape and so many activities to do after work so it never gets boring! My craziest experience was probably the bungee jump from the 216m high bloukrans bridge that I did when I was on Safari, I had such an adrenaline rush and it was an amazing feeling! I never thought that I would overcome the fear to do something like that but it was just incredible!
My time in South Africa flew by so fast I wish I could go back already, but I know that one day in the future I will go back and show my friends an family where I spent one of the best times of my life!