Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in South Africa from $330

Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in South Africa from $330

PMGY offers 1-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the coastal town of Cape Town and also on a world-class game reserve near Kenton-On-Sea in South Africa. Volunteers in Cape Town get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care and working with special needs children. Volunteers on the 'Big 5' game reserve enjoy hands-on involvement and a rich education in Conservation Management

Our programs in South Africa run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country orientation course
- Volunteer Handbook
- Full Financial Protection
- And of course PMGY’s round the clock UK support service – It’s what we’re famous for!

Natalya
England

South Africa big five

Overall I had an amazing trip, met lovely people and contributed effectively to help preserve the area. I had lots of help and support before leaving so I knew exactly what I needed, the handbook is very useful and you should scan it before leaving. Whilst in South Africa the staff were very friendly and provided help whenever it was needed. The accommodation was average but was always kept clean by everyday cleaners which was very good. We did conservation work and even though it was tough, it was good fun and we were never overworked and we were never forced to do any work if we didn't want to.

It could be more organised so we know what we're doing during the day so we know what to bring and what to wear.

elisa
south africa

once in a life time

I will keep this short and simple because this is the way I am. I've been to Kariega reserve for 4 weeks, been surrounded but lions, allies, rhino. There isn't actually word that can describe this experience because it's just magic. I've been dreaming this probably for my entire life. I was so happy to speak with baboons in the morning, helping young turtles to survive, been able to live the bush experience

I would say that probably a more control over the age of the volunteers will be better. I've been sharing this experience with other 9 18 years old ladies. I'm 29. Nothing wrong with that but we weren't having a lot to share and talk

Hannah
Liverpool

Kariega 2016

I've just got back after two weeks in South Africa where I was doing the wildlife conservation programme on Kariega game reserve. Whilst there I had the fantastic experience of being around magnificent wildlife whilst contributing to conservation projects that I was privileged to be a part of. The support I got when I was in Africa was brilliant, I never felt lost or clueless. More importantly I felt that I was prepared for anything that could be thrown at me. The information I was given before leaving was great also, I had all my questions answered and pretty much everything I needed was in the volunteer handbook that I received. My advice to anyone considering volunteering with pmgy is simply to just throw yourself in at the deep end. This might sound like strange advice but it's what I did and I can tell you that I got far more out of this experience than I ever imagined I would. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it. Just don't let anything hold you back. And there is no such thing as a stupid question. I urge everyone to go for it, I've met amazing people from all around the world who are now lifelong friends.
Thank you to everyone at pmgy for giving me this life changing experience

Elle
Leamington, Warwickshire, United Kingdom

Cape Town voluntary work

I chose to go to South Africa with PMGY and have not regretted it for one minute. I'm staying in Cape Town in the volunteer house at the moment with 30 other people from all over the world - even just living in the house is such an interesting experience, so much fun and so great meeting so many different people. I also lived with a host family at the start of my stay which was a good experience, it's much quieter with a host family but gives you a chance to really get stuck in with the volunteer work. Cape Town is a great place to live in and work in - so much to do yet volunteering here as well really opens your eyes and proves how much help is needed here.
PMGY have been brilliant, even just as I showed interest they were immediately engaged in what I was asking them. They put a lot of effort and time into answering my questions completely and would check up on my planning progress if we weren't in touch for too long. They really put me at ease about the whole trip and made it much easier than many other companies that I got in contact with. Plus I've just chosen to extend my volunteering experience here for 6 more weeks which speaks for itself about how enjoyable this experience is! You won't regret it :)

The allocation of volunteers in Cape Town was not reflected in the needs of the placement at the time I went. I believe this was more up to SASTS than PMGY but is definitely an aspect that needed addressing in 2013.

Lisa
Luxembourg

What an amazing trip!

I was in Cape Town for a month, volunteering in the childcare program and it was an unforgettable experince! I fell in love with the city of Cape Town and with the babies that I took care of! I met so many great people in the volunteer house with whom I could share this adventure and spend time with. Cape Town offers a beautiful and diverse landscape and so many activities to do after work so it never gets boring! My craziest experience was probably the bungee jump from the 216m high bloukrans bridge that I did when I was on Safari, I had such an adrenaline rush and it was an amazing feeling! I never thought that I would overcome the fear to do something like that but it was just incredible!
My time in South Africa flew by so fast I wish I could go back already, but I know that one day in the future I will go back and show my friends an family where I spent one of the best times of my life!

Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) is an award-winning international volunteer placement organisation based in the UK. We provide the worlds most affordable, need-driven and supportive short-term volunteer programmes across Africa & Asia. Our programmes start from just one weeks in duration right up to six