Volunteer with Children in South Africa and Make a Big Impact

Our motivation and conviction is that every child has the right to a loving, caring family and that no child should be left in an orphanage.

We are a family focused organization caring for 32 babies under the age of 3 years upon admission. There are also 36 children between the ages of 3 and 24 years living at with us on a permanent basis. A major portion of our work (together with social workers and the department of social services) is to find permanent families for the tiny babies, preferably reunited with their family (2%). If this is unsuccessful then we try to get them placed in local foster or adoptive care (5%) and if that is not possible, we petition the authorities to get them placed in permanent families overseas. We aim to have these babies placed into permanent families as soon as reasonably possible.
We rely heavily of volunteers to support the Mamas (employee caregivers) in our nursery and have had over 1000 volunteers serve with us since our founding in 1993.
Join Us!

• Discover an all together unique kind of inner-strength
  • Make the world of difference to vulnerable babies and children by showering them with love and cuddles!
  • Become part of fun-loving, hard-working community of Volunteers
  • Meet people from all Walks of Life!
  • Become a Permanent Part of Our Global Family

Impact

We focus heavily on having our volunteers support the development and upbringing of our precious ones. The impact of having gentle and consistent care in the early years of life is undeniable! We have heard from countless families who have adopted our little ones how well socialized, resilient and adjusted they are.

Olivia

I would go back in a heartbeat!

TLC was a truly the best experience of my life. The families who run this amazing organization are so driven in making a difference and helping as many babies as they can.
They are wonderful at training new volunteers and easing you in slowly.
The work is extremely fast pace, it's HARD work and can be exhausting, but so incredibly fun working along other volunteers from around the world.
Accommodations are decent and with room and board provided this is a very affordable place to volunteer.
I volunteered for 6 months and it was a wonderful length of time and I could have easily stayed a year. I miss TLC so much and will go back one day.

When I first arrived there were very few volunteers so our work load was huge, working 14 hour days. Other than that though the system they have going is great, I'm always encouraging people looking to volunteer to go here, since it's a smaller organization run completely off volunteers, they need all the help they can get!
Erika

TLC is a life changer <3

I had the opportunity of volunteering at TLC (The Love of Christ Children’s Home) for 1 year starting October 2015 – October 2016. I would encourage people to stay for a longer time than 2-3 months as I feel it allows you to become a part of the community and allows the children and you to connect on a greater level as their caregiver. TLC takes care of your meals and your housing, but still allow opportunities to go to the malls and stores to buy other foods or items you may need. TLC is a place that you not only get to impact others but leave being impacted and changed forever. TLC taught me so much about culture, diversity, poverty, unconditional love and time management. The task of caring for newborns, babies, toddlers and school aged children is A LOT of work! Our tasks as volunteers include: cleaning the nursery, preparing snacks and bottles, laundry, bathing the little ones, diaper changes, playing and caring for the babies and some overnight shifts. Although it is a lot of work, it really is an incredible experience where you are pulled emotionally, mentally and physically but also leave as an improved individual. TLC provides some really great training around working with babies with different needs as well as different programs like “circle of security”. These opportunities are incredible empowering and train us how to love and impact the babies we care for. It is a place where the other volunteers and the TLC community become not only your peers but your family! I left TLC with more knowledge, more friends and a fulfillment I have never felt before (2 years later I am still in contact with staff members at TLC and many volunteers). I have gone back to TLC for a few visits and will continue to do so! TLC is a life changer and I would recommend it to EVERYONE with a heart to love and care for others, this place will inspire, challenge and encourage your soul for the better.

Security was the only thing I would improve, however since I have been there MANY changes have been made resulting it the experience being a 10/10 for me!
Hannah

TLC will always have a place in my heart

I first volunteered at TLC in July/August 2005, and went back every year whenever I could until 2011. Overall I think I spent a year there but spread over different times. During my times there, I got to love and cherish so many precious little and not so little human beings and truly felt a part of the family.

I felt very well looked after at TLC and learnt a lot, both about childcare but also about myself. It led me to train as a primary school teacher and I'm still in touch with the friends I made there from all over the world.

Volunteering at TLC is, however, extremely hard work and you have to be dedicated to the lives of the little souls you look after. Waking up at 5.30 every day can be tough, until you walk into the nursery and get early morning cuddles from the most adorable babies whose faces light up as you go to pick them up out of their cots. Even though I loved my time there, I would make potential volunteers aware that this is not something you do to have a good social life. I did manage to explore some local sites and joined in the family / volunteer fun, but primarily you are there to dedicate your every waking hour to these wonderful babies.

I loved TLC so much, I had to keep coming back- that surely speaks volumes. Once you've been to TLC, it's forever a part of you.

I was always happy to get on with the jobs that needed doing, and keep the interests of the children at heart. However, this was often a female dominated environment, and added to that were different cultures, and this occasionally led to misunderstanding. It's an exhausting and at times stressful job, so you have to be prepare for that.
Daria

Amazing experience, really!

Guys, if you are in your gap year and looking for international experience while wanting to make an impact - this program is for you! I was at TLC twice for 6 months each time, and I loved every minute of it! Working with the babies is the most rewarding experience I ever had in my life. And even if you don't have much experience with the kids - no worries, TLC will teach you everything you'll need to become a great caregiver!

Taqueesha

I miss TLC everyday.

When I arrived at TLC I was only 18 years old, I was worried that I would feel alone, being my first solo trip overseas. Thea and her entire family made me feel welcome and loved. From the moment I stepped on to the farm I love every minute of being apart of this amazing ministry. Not only did I get to help raise beautiful children, I got to love babies who needed it the most. The friendships I made I still have many, many years later. You become a family with all the people you work with, and you work together to help save, and care for the most beautiful babies and children. TLC makes sure you are safe, and at no point was I worried for my safety.
I can honestly say that TLC changed my heart, and my life. I believe that I left a huge part of my heart in Africa at TLC and I cannot wait for the day I return.

The program has been perfected over the years. The only issue is when there is a shortage on volunteers which they try their hardest.

About TLC Children's Home

TLC is a fun-loving, hard-working, family-focused organisation that cares for 32 tiny babies under the age of 3 years upon admission. There are also 36 children between the ages of 3 and 24 years living at TLC on a permanent basis. A major portion of...