The Most Affordable Volunteer in Sri Lanka from $155- 25K happy Volunteers Since 2006

Looking for a life-changing experience that will completely revolutionize your life? Imagine a trip to exotic Sri Lanka, an unforgettable experience, then combine it with the opportunity to help the wonderful people there.

When you travel to the island of Sri Lanka, you’ll be taking in a popular tourist destination, plentiful with attractions such as golden beaches, tropical forests, and magnificent mountains as well as its history that dates back some 2500 years.

In this mystical country, you will find your own happiness through assisting others. Whether you choose to work alongside us in an orphanage, teach English to the local children or monks, or dispense your compassion in an “elephant orphanage,” you’ll prove to yourself that giving is always the best way to receive.
IFRE’s volunteer in Sri Lanka programs will open your heart and mind and enrich your life forever.

• The world’s most affordable volunteer programs – starting at $ 155
  • Low Fees are paid directly to host families and projects with absolutely no middlemen!
  • Experience the personal satisfaction of improving the lives of those in need who desperately need assistance.
  • Your one-time low fee cover accommodations, food, project costs, and support by expert and trustworthy local staffs.
  • Your safety is our utmost priority. We fully understand it can feel intimidating to be far from home in an unfamiliar country. But you’ll never feel alone with our 24/7 expert support staff and services.

Emily

Priceless Experience Volunteering in Sri Lanka

Volunteering in Sri Lanka was a lovely experience! There would not have been a better way to spend my holiday than volunteering in Sri Lanka. I enjoyed living with a host family as they were able to assist me in adapting to life in Sri Lanka. I do feel that the program could use more supervision, and I would have enjoyed the opportunity to volunteer more. I taught English to the monks and value every moment that I spent with them. I would love to have this opportunity again!
The host family was a pleasure to stay with. They were very kind, open to the various cultures of the volunteers and also explained their culture. Being amidst the culture and to become a part of it was lovely.
I would highly recommend that others take advantage of this program. The price was very reasonable and the experience was priceless!

Wish there was more variety in food! Especially for people with dietary requirements
Howie

Medical Outreachers Australia Hospital

The trip was very fun and gave me a really good opportunity to experience medical care in a country different to Australia. The hosts Michael and Berny were incredibly friendly and welcoming, along with their families as well. We were very well looked after and the house was very clean. The hospital was very eventful and I got to experience several departments like surgery, and internal medicine. One of my favourite memories is visiting galle fort, it was very beautiful and the food was also nice there. Another really nice destination was unawatuna beach and I think we should have gone there earlier in the trip because everyone liked it a lot. Also had a lot of touristy attractions and food places that we could have explored earlier. One recommendation is that we should be offered the chance to go to get SIM carda earlier in the trip as well as I did not realise how cheap the phone plans here were

Can be improved by better mosquito control- although this may be very hard because there were just mosquitos everywhere in general.
Panchalee

Medical Outreachers Australia group volunteering - hospital placement

Michael, Berny and their families were amazing hosts. They were all lovely people, easy to talk to and happy to help whenever we needed something. They really made us feel at home. The accommodation provided all basic necessities. The hospital placement was a great opportunity for overseas medical students to learn a lot of things we would have seen otherwise. Some of the doctors were really happy to teach and if we were lucky to follow one of them, there was so much to learn! A variety of extra activities and excursions were also organised which was a great way to bond with the group and explore the country. Transport was provided for all the organised activities and it was pretty flexible if you wanted to stay back or go exploring outside the organised activities. Overall a great experience!

The hospital placements could have been better organised. The consultants we were officially assigned to were usually too busy to teach us which meant that we usually had to find someone else to follow. The registrars on the wards were much more helpful but they did not know who we were or what our place in the hospital should be. We also ended up rotating departments through the week although we were initially told that we couldn't do this. Prior organisation allowing everyone to rotate through 2-3 departments would have ensured equal number of students in each group.
Amayar

MOA Trip

Overall trip was great. Berny was an amazing host and Michael was incredibly helpful. No really significant improvements needed besides having more organised activities - some community days had a balance between clinical teaching and interactions with locals, whereas other days were all clinical and no interactions.

The trip provided me with an eye-opening experience of a unique culture and country so extraordinarily different from Australia. From the food to the temples and beaches, the colourful vibrant atmosphere of Sri Lanka was emphasised through the smiles of its locals and individuality of its culture, despite being a developing nation with potential for positive growth.

Being exposed to a clinical environment that’s of a different standard to Australian healthcare and as well as learning about the country’s less fortunate youths has put into perspective two different worlds.

Panchalee

Medical Outreachers Australia group volunteering - hospital placement

Michael, Berny and their families were great hosts and lovely people, they were easy to talk to and always ready to help whenever we needed something. They really made us feel at home. The accommodation was good, all basic necessities were supplied, the rooms could get quite hot sometimes and sometimes there were power outages, but this wasn't a big issue. Transport was provided for all organised activities and was quite flexible. We could even organise transport for extra things we wanted to do through Michael which was very helpful. The hospital placements were a great learning opportunity for medical students, the doctors were aware of our position and purpose in the hospital and were usually happy to help, although this depended on their character and how busy they were. Most of us ended up rotating departments by the end of the week although we were initially told we couldn't do this. This could have been better organised to facilitate everyones interests and equal number of students in each group.

The hospital placements could have been a bit more organised. The experience really depended on which doctor you ended up with. Most often the consultant officially assigned to us was too busy to teach us and didn't really help us. The registrars on the wards were much better to follow and learn from, but they didn't really know we were coming or what we were meant to do.
Jennifer

Galle Medical Outreachers Australia

The programme was inspiring and eventful. Our host, Michael was supportive and very helpful. The hospital segment was useful in certain aspects. I was posted to surgery and while it was interesting to watch the surgeons, there was a language barrier and the surgeons are focused on their patients, making our learning harder. This opened my eyes to the different healthcare system in Sri Lanka and the limited resources that the public hospitals have. It was rather hard to communicate with the Sri Lankan’s as there was a language barrier. It was also interesting to see the contrast between the state of the hospital in Galle and the hospitals we have back in Sydney.

The hospital segment could be better planned out. Some of the doctors were too busy with their patients that some of us felt that we’ve missed a learning experience. The program’s length of 2 weeks is a little bit too long as hospital sessions end at 12 and community outreach programs could be done after 12, if possible.
Fathima Rismah

Mid-trip review

My week at the hospital has been very wholesome. I got a great insight on the medical systems in Sri Lanka. I listened to at least 7 heart murmurs in 5 days, that’s more than I’ve ever listened to in two years of medical school. Most of what I got through hospital was self directed. The doctors can be very busy but, are quite willing to teach. However, whether you ask the doctors to teach you and seem interested in it is only up to you. Micheal was a great host. He was very friendly and approachable, and his family made me feel like I was at home. The facilities met the standards band I really appreciate their hospitality! The driving was quite fast and felt a bit dangerous, however looks like most driving in Sri Lanka is quite fast. I was afraid of mosquitos but there were insecticides being sprayed. Looks like there was a solution for every problem. Overall I really enjoyed this trip so far!

Educationally, it was very productive. Perhaps room for improvement lies in the planning of activities for the rest of the day.
Natalie

Great support, more organisation needed

Michael and Bernie were lovely hosts, opening their homes with great food and hospitality. They really went above and beyond to make sure our stay was comfortable and safe such as organising Tuk tuks. However, I would’ve liked to know where the money from this trip was going towards as 1200 AUD in Sri Lanka is a surmountable amount. Moreover community activities needed to be better organised as we were left not knowing what or daily activities were.

More organisation is needed. There were times in community volunteering where activities were not organised and we were left for 1-1.5 hrs with nothing planned. Each day had no concrete plan and it would’ve been nice to have an outline of eXactly what we were doing to maximise giving back to the community
Alex

Sri lanka trip

I really enjoyed this trip. It was very safe and entertaining while being able to help the community. Language barriers and the locals heavily ripping off the tourists were a problem but other than that, i throughpy enjoyed the trip and would definitely recommend this trip to other people.

We're excited to hear more! For example: share why your experience was unique. What would future participants want to know? How did this impact your life post-program? Tell us about any useful tips, your favorite memory, etc.

Thanks.

Tiyasha

My stay in Sri Lanka!

MOA in conjunction with go overseas did an amazing job in organising this programme, which not only benefited me academically but also socially. It taught me the different ways of life, made me meet such wonderful people like Michael and his family! It has been the most wholesome experience of my life as of yet and I’m loving it! Would definitely recommend it to all the people out there! As of now, I am very happy with the content of the program and am eagerly waiting for the coming one week ( to serve the community ). The home we are staying in is very nice in terms of good care and support! The people are wonderful and they’ve been extremely caring! If I were to do this again I’d definitely come and stay with them since it’s cheaper and better. In terms of the content of the program, it’s well organised and well put as well!

Nothing is crossing my mind as of now since I seem to be pretty happy and content with the quality of everything!
Prarthna

Mid-trip review

I've really enjoyed my stay in Sri Lanka so far and am looking forward for the rest of the week. Micheal and his family have been an amazing hosts and have really taken care of us. The first week of community outreach experience has overall be good. One of the experiences I really enjoyed was learning from the doctor about a case that she had pre planned for us. This session at the orphanage was well organised and quite informative. Spending time at the rehab with the girls was very valuable as well. I found that planned sessions by the doctors really aided my learning. Activities such as going to the Yala National Park, Cinnamon island, Still fishing and Turtle hatchery were very enjoyable and gave me the opportunity to also explore Sri Lanka along with the educational experience.

I feel if in the community outreach setting if the teaching doctors planned the teaching sessions it would be more beneficial and aid learning.
Rachel

Medical Outreachers Australia - Community Outreach

The outreaches were special in that we were able to visit a variety of places including a school, orphanage, and rehabilitation centre. This gave us an opportunity to meet many people from different demographics. My favourite memory is definitely of playing with the children at the orphanage. They’re extremely energetic and it was certainly tiring but their joy is contagious and their smiles touch everyone’s hearts. This experience gave me a better idea of the healthcare setting in rural Sri Lanka and made me more aware of how culture and environment significantly impact health. I was also able to witness the groundwork that is being done in schools, orphanages, and correction centres around Galle and understand how these facilities are benefitting people of many ages and backgrounds. Some aspects were challenging - it was difficult to navigate the language barriers, and many of the people’s circumstances affected me emotionally as well. Still, it is so worthwhile to just be there with people and love on them.

In my opinion, the outreaches could be better planned. For example, instead of having just the doctor in charge lead everything, we (the volunteers) could plan some workshops or sessions beforehand so that we’re more prepared for the sessions. This would allow us to have a greater impact and be more productive with our time. With the resources that we have, it wouldn’t be too difficult just to plan a simple hand washing station or have some health-related diagrams to show the kids.
Suresh

Medical outreach

This week we had sessions at an orphanage, probation service and school. It was good that we had a doctor in each session to teach us medical aspects. Doctors all seem very knowledgeable, friendly and willing to teach us medical students of varying experience levels. Staff at each place were also very friendly and helpful. Due to time constraints and language barrier it felt like we did not have as much of a social impact with the children as we initially thought possible. Outside the placement times our host was very supportive and helpful with any of our requests. Also very friendly and easy to get along with. Made us feel very comfortable in the home. It was good that we were taken to see local attractions. Facilities in the home are reasonable. Meals provided were nice

Kerryn

Volunteer Orphanage Galle Sri Lanka

It was the best experience. lovely kids and nice staff, I will miss them so much. I also had a great time with other volunteers. you will have enough time to explore Sri Lanka at the weekends or in the afternoon.
The peoples in Sri Lanka are very friendly and helpful. specially my hostfamily! when I arrived, the hostfather showed me around and explained me all about the city. when I was sick, he went to the hospital with me and was very helpful. thank you Michael!!

I went to the orphanage every morning. it would be nice to see the orphanage in other times, maybe once in the evening.
Grainne

Teaching Assistant in Rural School

The school that I was assigned to was a Rural School and the teaching staff and students couldn't have been nicer. I was made feel so welcome from the minute I arrived and felt right at home after about 3 days (once I got to know the run of the place)
A tip for any future volunteers would be to come prepared especially if like me you are not from a teaching background. Have some word games to make learning english more fun.
Maybe print off a few easy crosswords with pictures ect. The students like a break away from the text books and they get quite excited about playing games. Even though I was there to assist teaching English I joined the students when they were playing sport, although I need to improve my netball skills drastically !! They are such good humoured kids and will call out to you each morning when you arrive at the school gates. Those smiles really set you up for the day.

About IFRE Volunteers Abroad

IFRE Volunteers, a leading U.S. volunteer abroad organization, specializes in ongoing, year-round projects available from 1 week to 12 weeks in 20 countries throughout Asia, Africa and Latin America. Wherever you choose to go, your IFRE volunteer...