The Most Affordable Volunteer in Sri Lanka from $155- 25K happy Volunteers Since 2006

Looking for a life-changing experience that will completely revolutionize your life? Imagine a trip to exotic Sri Lanka, an unforgettable experience, then combine it with the opportunity to help the wonderful people there.

When you travel to the island of Sri Lanka, you’ll be taking in a popular tourist destination, plentiful with attractions such as golden beaches, tropical forests, and magnificent mountains as well as its history that dates back some 2500 years.

In this mystical country, you will find your own happiness through assisting others. Whether you choose to work alongside us in an orphanage, teach English to the local children or monks, or dispense your compassion in an “elephant orphanage,” you’ll prove to yourself that giving is always the best way to receive.
IFRE’s volunteer in Sri Lanka programs will open your heart and mind and enrich your life forever.

• The world’s most affordable volunteer programs – starting at $155.
  • Low Fees are paid directly to host families and projects with absolutely no middlemen!
  • Experience the personal satisfaction of improving the lives of those in need who desperately need assistance.
  • Your one-time low fee cover accommodations, food, project costs, and support by expert and trustworthy local staffs.
  • Your safety is our utmost priority. We fully understand it can feel intimidating to be far from home in an unfamiliar country. But you’ll never feel alone with our 24/7 expert support staff and services.

• 9-10 rating 59.09%
  • 7-8 rating 40.91%
Constance

First experience with captive asian elephants

I wanted do to something very useful for cative elephants, to improve their life. Here, you can discover how elephants are used by sri lankan people, and why. It is not just a place where captive elephants can rest, the staff really try to change the mentality of sri lankan people about elephants and their need of care. All the staff is very kind with volunteer, and answer to any questions. The vet is really important in this program because he works with owners of elephants to assure a good quality of life of their elephants, and try to make them understand that perahera and poja is not good for elephants, because it is a lot of stress, loud sound, and cages on their back hurt them a lot.
The foundation is not perfect, but they try to changes a lot of things.

Take old clothes, gloves, and come ! The work can be difficult, but it is really a satisfactory work.
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Constance,

Thank you for volunteering with us and lending a helping hand to the elephants in Sri Lanka. We greatly appreciate your help, time and effort. We also wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Samantha

Volunteer In Children's Orphanage in Galle, Sri Lanka

The experience at the orphanage was incredible, life changing and deeply humbling. When you embark on an experience such as this there is a lot that goes through you mind. You wonder how everything will be and you hope that your time is part of a bigger picture that is helpful and I guess important.

The children at the orphanage were a true delight! Mischievous, good, kind, funny and at times, yes naughty! All the things you would expect from any child around the world! They are a real mix of personalities and you can see despite the reason that has brought them into a government system that they are still individuals with a lot to offer the world.

Michael, the Co-Ordinator is lovely.

Sri Lanka overall is a beautiful country with amazing, kind and helpful people. I was there when the bombs went off in Colombo. The people were devastated by what happened and rallied together. There is a great fear that this will completely destroy the tourism industry that has started to boom. I felt completely safe in Sri Lanka, more so than any other country I have traveled to. Remember - something bad can happen anywhere in the world at anytime. Do not let this make you change your mind in going there. It is a special country.

Some of the staff are not very friendly, I felt in the way at times. Maybe more cohesion between volunteers and the staff. A wee guide booklet could be amazing helpful. On transport types, applying for visa extensions etc. Actually I would be happy to write one!
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Samantha, we thank you so much for being a part of our Orphanage Project and we feel happy to know that you enjoyed working with the children. We also really admire your courage during the turmoil in Sri Lanka and that you stayed behind to help.

We are sorry that you had to face some issues with some of our staffs. We will try to improve on this matter so our future volunteers can fell at ease.

Amy

Orphanage Volunteering Galle

The volunteering has been amazing and eye opening, the children are the most kid and sweetest I have ever met. The teachers are nice but some can be cold to new comers. The hours at the orphanage are great as you can do the whole day (8:30-6) or half day (8:30-12/1:00) and explore the city of Galle and the surrounding towns. The other volunteers I live with are amazing and have become close friends over the course of the 5 weeks staying here. Micheal’s house is a great place to stay as it is on the main Colombo-Galle road and right across from the beach, the other volunteers and I love to walk on the beach and watch the sunsets, see turtles and watch kids play cricket and soccer at the beach. The food served at Micheal’s is fresh and just like the way my Sri Lankan Acci makes at home, it’s amazing to watch and see the process. I would highly recommend doing this trip it has changed me as a person so much (for the better) anyone and everyone should do it

No curfew and more cooperative teachers at the orphanage
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Amy,

Thank you for volunteering with us. We greatly appreciate your help in the project and are happy that you enjoyed the project. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Caterina

Working at the oephanage

I would definitely recommend this experience. I worked at the orphanage for only 3 weeks, and still I felt like those kids were mine. They need so much love and they give love to you as well. It was hard to leave them...
It is also hard to see them leaving in those conditions, but after a while you get used to it. However, as I mentioned below, most of the teachers and the stuff working there are very rude wirh any volunteer. They do not give any love to the kids and they get angry if you try to play with them or kiss them. I honestly thought that that was very sad; even if they are clearly frustrated they should not treat the children like that.
They stay at Michael's was good! He and his family are super kimd, and available for any kind of need you can have. He also organized few trips for the foreigners that were staying at his place, all of them at a fair price.

Most of the teachers and the stuff working at the orphanage are rude with volunteers. They do not give any kind of love to those kids and they do not appreciate if you do it.
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Caterina,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We greatly appreciate you for taking out the time to volunteer with us and are happy that you enjoyed the project. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Ida

pre-medical volunteer and shadowing

Participating in the medical program in Sri Lanka at Karapitiya teaching hospital was definintly a lifechanging experience! Doing my 8 weeks of volunteer work I learnt so much about the different units I was connected to and myself. The doctors have been so good to teach, explain and answer every question I got. Participating in the program has made me so much more sure about my decision becoming a doctor! My stay was also more than just the medical impact - thanks to Micheal - the host - there was so helpful with whatever and was arranging a lot of trips around the whole beautiful Sri Lanka. Michaels home became a connecting
meeting point and platform for growing friendships between us volunteers from all over the world. When we did finish our volunteer time in the afternoons and weekends we went to see the amazing sights, that Sri Lanka has to offer.

If you got same considerations and want to experience a new culture and new sides of yourself, then I can only give my warmest recommendations!

More informations before going would have been great, because you don't really know what you get into :)
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Ida,

Thank you for volunteering with us. We greatly appreciate your effort towards the project and also thank you for taking out the time to write us your feedback.. We wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

Kyle

Physical Therapy Shadowing and Buddhist Monk Teaching

Greatly enjoyed my time volunteering in Sri Lanka while staying at a wonderful host families house. The host, Michael, was very supportive and helped us with every question we had. I learned a lot from the Physical Therapist and enjoyed teaching the young Buddhist monks English. The other volunteers I stayed with were also very fun to travel with and we all became close friends by the end of it. The weekend trips were pretty fun as well and I would recommend taking full advantage of all the adventures that Sri Lanka has to offer. Galle was also a great place for surfing and we loved going to the beaches to hang out and surf for the afternoon after volunteering. I wish I had just a bit more time to explore the country. I would highly recommend to others considering this program.

The language barrier was a bit difficult at times to understand when shadowing at the hospital and when going on tours with tour guides who didn't have the best English.
Response from IFRE Volunteers Abroad

Dear Kyle,

Emily

Priceless Experience Volunteering in Sri Lanka

Volunteering in Sri Lanka was a lovely experience! There would not have been a better way to spend my holiday than volunteering in Sri Lanka. I enjoyed living with a host family as they were able to assist me in adapting to life in Sri Lanka. I do feel that the program could use more supervision, and I would have enjoyed the opportunity to volunteer more. I taught English to the monks and value every moment that I spent with them. I would love to have this opportunity again!
The host family was a pleasure to stay with. They were very kind, open to the various cultures of the volunteers and also explained their culture. Being amidst the culture and to become a part of it was lovely.
I would highly recommend that others take advantage of this program. The price was very reasonable and the experience was priceless!

Wish there was more variety in food! Especially for people with dietary requirements
Howie

Medical Outreachers Australia Hospital

The trip was very fun and gave me a really good opportunity to experience medical care in a country different to Australia. The hosts Michael and Berny were incredibly friendly and welcoming, along with their families as well. We were very well looked after and the house was very clean. The hospital was very eventful and I got to experience several departments like surgery, and internal medicine. One of my favourite memories is visiting galle fort, it was very beautiful and the food was also nice there. Another really nice destination was unawatuna beach and I think we should have gone there earlier in the trip because everyone liked it a lot. Also had a lot of touristy attractions and food places that we could have explored earlier. One recommendation is that we should be offered the chance to go to get SIM carda earlier in the trip as well as I did not realise how cheap the phone plans here were

Can be improved by better mosquito control- although this may be very hard because there were just mosquitos everywhere in general.