Affordable Volunteer Programs in Sri Lanka from $285

Volunteer with IVHQ in Sri Lanka! Highly affordable volunteer projects are available for anywhere from 1 week to 12 weeks. The Sri Lanka volunteer program is based in the sacred city of Kandy, with placements located in and around the city and further afield. The Rural Community Development project is based in both Hanguranketha in Nuwara Eliya and in the surrounding areas of Sigiriya, in the Central Matale District. The Wild Elephant Conservation project is based in the Wasgamuwa National Park. Volunteers can assist on a range of community-driven projects and will be accommodated in volunteer houses and homestays.

IVHQ Volunteer Programs available in Sri Lanka:

• Childcare
  • Rural Community Development
  • Temple Renovation
  • Wild Elephant Conservation

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $285 for 1 week Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 10 and 40 volunteers start in Sri Lanka each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Sri Lanka with fellow volunteers - such as Colombo, Galle or Mirissa.

Hi, I stayed in a volunteer house during my 3 week stay in Sri Lanka. It was the best experience as you make new friends whereby you go out on the weekends, play board games and go on walks after work each day. It's truly amazing meeting and being together with so many people from different countries. The girls who did home stay tended to come to the volunteer house after volunteer work as they...

Ryan

Phenomenal Sri Lanka Trip

My time in Sri Lanka was second to none! Getting to help conserve wild elephants while seeing many other species of mammals, birds, and reptiles was incredible! The staff become good friends if you stay long enough and the food alone is worth staying for! Some of the best I’ve ever eaten! Weekend trips to Trincomalee and Dambulla are a must! I highly recommend this program to anyone who loves conservation or nature!

The orientation week was a bit boring. Too many temples and I hated seeing elephants in chains.
Paul

IVHQ - Sri Lanka

IVHQ facilitated the single one of the most exciting and educational trips I have ever been on. They took care of me from the time I landed in Colombo Airport until it was time for me to leave. I recommend using IVHQ if you are looking to travel to Sri Lanka. I especially recommend staying in Ambalangoda beacuse the Green Lion workers there are so sweet and caring! IVHQ conects you with top-notch in-country organizations that will be sure to take care of you while you are abroad.

I would allow for more exploration and less 'temple tours' during orientation week
NAN

I will truly never forget the unique and meaningful memories and stories in Sri Lanka

Before left for Sri Lanka starting my volunteer programs "childcare in preschool in the morning and girls home in the afternoon", I really harboured fear, helplessness, hesitage and even an assumption about whether I would be threaten to be raped or stolen my belongings in volunteer home because IVHQ is totally new for me and no one around me has shared experiences as an international volunteer in a completely unfamiliar country. But the reality is I really enjoyed my one week voluneteer in Sri Lanka and if possible I might come back again to stay longer with those girls in girls home and friendship was there with more understanding and trust established already in my short stay. So here is safe, valuable and impressive.
In the midnight of Oct 1st in Colombo airport, IVHQ staff picked me up and arranged a nearest hotel to give me a nice rest. On the next day together with other new members were transfered to Kandy where all volunteers live in a volunteer home and work on our programs. Living condition and food are so nice and I can feel stay at home.
After Monday oritation, I started my responsibility and especially appreciated my IVHQ coordinator Ms Samadi who always accompanied with me like a bodyguard to assure my safety and a private translator during my transportation and work so I have more chance to be familiar with local culture and better devoted myself to give love and care to those preshcool children and young girls with efficient communications. So if you have questions, just ask.
Almost every evening, volunteers would share each one's feeling and what they saw and heard, in order to protect ourselves and meanwhie better regulate volunteers' perspective and teaching plan to improve our work and help those Sri Lankan. PS it is also a good opportunity to make new friends and enjoyed various culture here with more and more commnication.
Personally setting up trust with strangers in the beginning is challenging, but keep smiling and patience, give love and care from heart, buy some candy and colorful pencils and drawing paper for them, they really want to come to me and started to play and comminicate with me. Once they accepts me, it is helpful to make them feel cared and loved by outside and give them confidence to face bright reality and prospective future. Everyone has past, good or bad, what matters is to cherish current days and be happy every day from now on. Those are very smart and hard working, they can feel loved and give love in return. Please hug them, talk to them, buy candy and colorful drawings for them, sing and paly with them, but dont speak too much English in private(most girls can only speak a little English) and always let coordinators translate what you talk about to them in public, to make them feel comfortable and reduce their negative curiosity because most of them are sesitive about their personal histories, so please dont ask them their personal stories even though trust is there. To satisfy our own curiosity is not the intention to be a volunteer, but rather bring happniess and new knowledge and share with them, pass love and care to them is what we take care and give. So in return I also feel satisfied and happy to know them when they started to call me sister and defined me as their one friend from China and believe they would have a wonderful future with smile all the time.
A really amazingly unforgettable and touching heard experience in my life. Thank you, everyone for making me receive a nice memory and unique personal experience in Sri Lanka.
I like Sri Lankan, who are truly pure and friendly.
Best regards.

please try to think about how to help volunteers play their roles as soon as possible in advance of starting their programs.
In the morning oritation, do you think it is possible to tell some meaningful and valuable stories/experiences from "successufl volunteers" and "failed volunteers" and improve new volunteer work to make it more sense specially for those who just stay in a program for a week only.
Example, prepare some candy or colorful drawings for children and girls..
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Nan Li, thanks for sharing this excellent review and I am sure future volunteers will find this very useful! It is great to hear you were able to bring happiness and new knowledge to children you volunteered with, and that the local team were always assuring your safety. Thanks again for this review and will look forward to you returning to volunteer in IVHQ Sri Lanka.

Paula

Great people, safe experience, and incredible culture

I feel so grateful to have had the opportunity to volunteer in Sri Lanka with IVHQ. From the moment I began my application, I felt incredibly supported by the IVHQ staff and knew I would be in good hands once arriving in a foreign country. As a solo volunteer traveling from the U.S., I was nervous and had many questions before the trip. The IVHQ staff were more than helpful in answering my questions and easing my worries. The program itself was wonderful. I stayed in a home with a lovely Sri Lankan family and 6 other volunteers. The home was basic but comfortable and clean. I felt as I was getting the authentic experience, which is exactly what I wanted. My program was teaching English in a local pre-school. This experience was also positive, and I really enjoyed the children and the teachers of the school. It was not always easy as the language barrier did make it difficult to communicate with the kids, but overall I felt like I was applying my teaching skills in a meaningful way. I still keep in touch with the teachers, the other volunteers, and the family I lived with. Sri Lanka will always have a special place in my heart, and I look back on this experience fondly. I highly recommend IVHQ for those considering volunteer projects abroad.

I don't have much to recommend in terms of improving the program. Overall I thought the entire experience was positive for me.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Paula, What a great review! Thank you for your kind words – it has been our pleasure to help you prepare for your trip to Sri Lanka and we are so glad that you had a wonderful time. Thanks for recommending IVHQ and we would love to welcome you onto another program in the future!
Sean – IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manager

Chefchaouen
Lauren

A Journey of Self-Discovery

I spent 4 weeks over in Sri Lanka this Summer and had the time of my life volunteering on various programs and exploring what this beautiful country has to offer - it's left me with a longing urge and passion to go back!

I initially went out there to do 4 weeks of Temple Renovation but during orientation week you are informed of the expansive list of project options available, allowing you to change on a weekly basis if you wish to do so. I took full advantage of this and mixed up my upcoming weeks so that I could experience a variety of different programs, something which I am thrilled to have done!

I undertook the:
- Elephant Experience = 100% recommend! This program allows you to get up close and personal with a gorgeous elephant who needs your help both feeding and washing them, and of course taking part in some cute selfies as well! I found this experience very rewarding as you can evidently see that your fee money is going towards a good cause, caring for these lovely animals who have been mistreated in the past. A huge bonus in regards to choosing this project as well is that you get to stay with the local family who run this project. Living in their home was an extremely humbling experience and they made us feel right at home within an hour of arriving there. The food is absolutely incredible and it is a fantastic bonding experience for yourself and the group of people you are volunteering there with.
- Trekking Week = I chose to break up my volunteering weeks with the chance to personally explore more of the country, thanks to this program that the co-ordinators arrange for you in order to enhance your experience. These 5 days of trekking gave me such a unique insight into more of Sri Lanka and gave us the opportunity to discover parts of the country that we wouldn't have found on our own.
- Temple Renovation = I really enjoyed my week spent at this project as you are able to see how your help is making a difference due to the progress that you and the other volunteers can make in a matter of days to these beautiful temples! What makes this program so special is that in between renovating and painting the temple, you get to have tea and lunch breaks with the chief Monk which is an experience in itself! They are always providing positive feedback and he also gifted me with a pen and a handmade blessing bracelet on my departure which I found really touching! This is a great program if you are willing and active.

In terms of the in-country staff I could not fault them - they make you feel comfortable and aware of everything from the get go which helps to put you at ease and enjoy your experience to the fullest! This journey has allowed me to learn so many new things about myself by pushing my boundaries and has also led me to have made some friends for life! The environment you are in gives you no choice but to connect and bond with your fellow volunteers in a whole other way to what you do at home - these friendships are unique and ones that you will cherish forever.

I recommend doing the week-long orientation as this is a great opportunity to get to know your fellow volunteers and also explore the city of Kandy that you shall be living in - all included in the price as well!

Places you must visit when in Sri Lanka are: Ella, Trincomalee, Sigiriya Rock, Pidurangala Rock, Dambulla, Loolecondera Tea Plantations, Ambuluwawa & Adam's Peak.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lauren, Thanks for your awesome review. We are stoked to hear that you the time of your life volunteering and exploring in Sri Lanka and would love to have you back one day!
Sean - IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manger

Sandy

Gratification

I am 57 and spent 5 weeks volunteering on the outskirts of Kandy,Sri Lanka. I took part in 2 projects. The first in the Hill Country where I was lucky enough to spend a week in a pre- school. The school was small and had a slide and swings in the yard and I initially thought, " Oh they don't seem too badly off" but after the first day I reallized the classroom was very over crowded, they had no electricity to the building and the teacher had to shine a torch so the children could see the posters on the walls that had stories, numbers and letters on them.
The teacher was wonderful and had been there quite a long time.
She had very limited resources to use and was very grateful for the books, crayons and paper we brought in for them to use.
The children came to school so tidily dressed each day that I also assumed they didn't seem too badly off but on exploring the outskirts of town we saw some of the families were still having to draw water from a well and the children walked several kilometres to reach school.
I realised I should not have made such quick assumptions as these were proud people making the best from the resources they were given and they were doing a wonderful job.
They were so grateful for the time we gave them which was reward in itself.
I would definitely recommend any volunteering experience as my next 4 weeks were spent in the children's home with children's from 3 days old to 4 years old who had no parents other than the kind women who worked on very limited funding to care for them. I worked hard whilst there to try and help as much as possible and make the smallest of difference in both staff and children's lives and its reward was gratitude both from the staff and the children. I was so very happy to have helped, as small as my contribution was.
I will say go, be proactive and try and make positive change as they do not know what you can do for them unless you offer.
You will also have a wonderful cultural experience and form new friendships with the other volunteers.

The organisation could be more proactive in letting the volunteers know on arrival that they are always looking for new ideas, help and suggests to improve upon projects the volunteers may be working on.
The volunteers are predominantly well educated university graduates or students who could assist the organization more, if allowed.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sandy, Thanks so much for sharing a review of your time on the program in Sri Lanka! It was a pleasure to have you volunteer with us and we are really appreciative of the commitment and initiative you showed at your placements. Thanks for your great advice and we would love to have you join us again in the future.

Renee

A month in Sri Lanka

I recently spent a month in Sri Lanka, 3 of these weeks ad part of the green lion sri lanka program and the last 2 volunteering in Hanguranketa (hill country about an hour from kandy). The 2 weeks that i spent here were an absolute blast! My mornings were filled with preschool teaching and afternoons filled with temple renovations - now this wasnt something i'd previously sgnwd myself up for but im so glad i got to do it because it was so much fun, even though it was sometimes hard work and we got dirty i dont regret it one single bit and i would recommend it to anyone!! The coordinators here were AMAZING! Along with our host at the vilunteer house, i felt like i was at home and now have some beautiful new sri lankan friends who made saying goodbye harder. Honestly i cant explain briefly my time but if you considering a trip and youre not sure, book it! You wont regret it!! Aside from the wonderful weeks volunteering there are some wonders that you can reach by local bus which is part of the adventure itself - Sigiriya Rock, Ella, Arugam Bay, the list goes on.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Renee, Thanks for sharing this great review! We are so glad that you had amazing support from our local coordinators and filled your mornings and afternoons with volunteer work and travel - it sounds like you really made the most of your every moment in Sri Lanka. Thanks for recommending IVHQ and for being a great volunteer!

Mahnoor

A Mesmerizing Experience!

When I reached the Kandy accommodation from Colombo airport, I was reluctant to start this program but as the Orientation week went by, I made amazing new friends and were briefed in detail with round-the-clock help provided, I realized that one should always give some time to settle in.

I did Teaching Monks in Kandy for the first week which was a brilliant experience. I taught the 8-11 year olds helping them grasp the importance of English for their daily life use. It was a treat to watch them excel verbally and written-wise.

As we friends (the entire Orientation batch of my week) had gotten close, a few of them were already in Hill Country and I was really curious about how things work there so I convinced a few others to also go for the next week to check it out and we could always come back if we didn't like it but hands-down it was the bestest decision ever and I ended up staying for my last two weeks. The coordinators were so helpful, catering to our each and every need and taking us along as friends..suggesting as to how we should approach the Monks students if we were having problems. The food was yummy, the accommodation facility was quite clean (which is super important to me). All in all, I made a lifetime of friends who are like family to me and I hope to be reunited with them soon in any part of the world..:)

More cities should be opened to this volunteer program in terms of doing work.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Mahnoor, Thanks for your review! It is awesome to hear that you pushed through your initial reservation and had a great and unique experience teaching English in Kandy and Hill Country. We have loved having you, and the others that volunteered at the same time as you, join our program in Sri Lanka. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we would love you have you on another program in the future!
Sarah – IVHQ Sri Lanka Program Manager

I was teaching the little monks
TIANTIAN

"Come back.""Sure."

Three points impressed me most
1, “I am a citizenship of world.”
2,”Happiness has nothing to do with wealth.”
3,”Courage and Curiosity make the life amazing to live.”

Three volunteers I met that I will never forget
1,A brave and charming girl from Lebanon who share a lot of similarities with me, the same age, same ambition, same crazy ideas and same eager.
2,A smart and mature boy from Belgium who encouraged us to be brave to live the life we want, break the limitations in our mind and gain more experience through the world.
3,A committed and considerate boy from China who impress me by his powerful self-control and his great attitudes and long-range goals toward life.

Three locals I met that make me want to go back again
1,Damarakitha, a 12 year old boy who stared at my eyes and asked me to go back , a clever and charismatic monk who told me that he want to come to China when he grows up.
2,Thilini,a 23 year girl who learned some Chinese from me and is coming to China to learn medicine, a pretty and determined student who told me a lot of opinions and attitudes of Sri Lanka girls.
3,Shasheen,a humorous coordinator who learned English all by himself and want to explore the world, a cute keyboard player and amazing graphic designer who made my life there as home.

Three things I did when I was there
1,I collected amazing stories from the world
2,I made friends which might influence my life forever
3,I accepted everything I faced and smiled to everyone I met on the street.

Three things I did after I went back to China
1,I opened my own broadcast show to share my stories with my friends
2,I took over a task to run events to develop cross-culture communication
3,I encouraged every friend who want to embrace great lives to go out the explore the world.

Three suggesetions I give to those who are interested in this
1,Just do it
2,Just do it
3,Just do it

Let me join to organize it and encourage more friends to come:)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tiantian, You are awesome! We love your heartwarming lessons and the insight you gained from volunteering in Sri Lanka. All of your points are inspiring - we particularly like that you learnt that you are a citizen of the world. Thanks for encouraging future volunteers to “just do it” and for being an awesome volunteer!

Sierra

Volunteering overseas is...

Volunteering overseas is spending a day with someone new and feeling like you've known them your whole life by the end of it. It's crazy what you learn about someone while you both wander through a foreign city, navigating the uncharted waters together and swapping stories of what led you to this place in life. I was so blessed to live in a house with not only 1 other volunteer, but 40 from all over the world. When I left, I parted with dozens of new lifelong friends, visits to make, and couches to sleep on around the globe.

I came to Sri Lanka alone, on my first overseas trip! IVHQ was a great choice for a first time, anxious traveler and Sri Lanka was a great country to visit alone! The support I got prior to the trip and on the way over was great and I felt very prepared. The staff on site were helpful for the most part as well and I felt very safe the entire duration of the trip. By the time I had to leave, I even felt comfortable and confident enough to opt out of the taxi they’ll call for you, and find my way back on my own!
I had signed up to do the wild elephant conservation project but was pleasantly surprised when I got there to find out that you have the freedom to switch around and participate in other programs as well. I ended up skipping orientation week and spending some time at the disabled orphanage instead, before heading to the elephant project. Both projects were really incredible experiences!
The disabled orphanage really counts on its volunteers and so every day of work felt very important. The girls grabbed our hands and pulled us into hugs the minute we got there. The staff that run the place are so positive and kind. Working alongside them was very inspiring. We colored, sang, danced, helped at lunch time, did a bit of cleaning, and then a lot more playing!
The elephant conservation was beyond anything I’d imagined. The view from the house is like a photo out of a magazine and the house itself was a great environment with a really fun vibe to it. The work was different every day which was really cool and I learned a lot about elephants and wildlife conservation in general. We got to work on a few different projects in the jungle but also spent a lot of time working with the affected villagers as well, who are very appreciative of the help in minimizing human-elephant conflict. Each evening, the group heads out in the safari jeep to a clearing and you wait for the elephants to come! We saw a ton the week I was there!

The country is really beautiful between the tea fields, jungles, mountains, and beaches and there was plenty of down time for exploring. But to sum up, I really recommend volunteering with IVHQ in Sri Lanka. The work and the accommodation and the beauty of the place are all great, but what’s really irreplaceable is the community IVHQ makes you a part of. The world has become a lot bigger and a lot smaller at the same time. Bigger, because I've learned of about 100 more places that I'd like to go. And smaller, because it's all a lot more accessible now and I have friends in all kinds of places that can help me along the way. I can’t wait for the next trip!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Sierra, Thanks for sharing! It is so true that you are able to get to know people on such a deeper level while living, exploring and volunteering together. Welcome to the IVHQ family – we love our volunteers! It sounds like you really made the most of your time in Sri Lanka by joining two very different and extremely worthwhile volunteer projects. We are pleased to hear that you were well supported during the planning and duration of your program and we agree that volunteering in Sri Lanka is a great choice for first time and solo travellers. Thanks for your recommendation and for being an awesome IVHQ volunteer!

Maggi

A volunteer experience where you actually feel like you have done something!

I have done four volunteer experiences with IVHQ - Guatemala, Nepal, Ecuador, and Sri Lanka. Although each program had its own highlights, this program is the one where I felt like each day you showed up for work, you made a difference. The highlight of the experience was work at a orphanage for disabled people. I would not have considered this project before I arrived, but the volunteer coordinator said that if you believe in karma, this is karma. It was tough but wonderful!
The best part about the program was that you could change your project every week. This gave you the opportunity to see much of the country and try out many difference types of work. And the staff at Green Lion goes out of their way to make you feel safe and to ensure that the work you are doing is worthwhile.

I am older than most of the volunteers so I was grateful that I could opt out of a volunteer house for a home stay.
The only complaint is that the volunteer house needs better wifi - definitely a first world problem.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Maggi, Thanks so much for joining four IVHQ programs and being an awesome volunteer! It is great to receive feedback on how the programs differ from each other and it is interesting to hear of how rewarding you found the volunteer work in Sri Lanka. We can’t wait to see where you will volunteer next!

Shirley

Great experience

It was an eye opening experience, to say the least. It made me appreciate everything I have in life and realize what little is necessary in order to be happy. At my volunteer placement, a disabled home for girls and women, there were very little resources, but everyone seemed happy with what they've got. 2x a week we would have a dance hour, which would be the highlight of the day and everyone participated! It's a wonderful way to get out of your own comfort zone and it forces you to see the things that are hard to see at times. You can't turn a blind eye this time! However, I also think you need to have a certain maturity level to partake in this and to fully emerge yourself in the experience, which unfortunately many of the teenage volunteers were lacking. It was still an important chapter in my life and I'm planning to return next year, if possible. Everyone should be able to do at least one of those kind of volunteer journeys in their life and it is worth every minute of it.

Better organization of the in-country staff! It was quite unorganized and confusing at times.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shirley, Thank you for being a great volunteer! It is so important to be willing to totally immerse yourself in the experience, especially within the more challenging volunteer placements. We look forward to seeing you back in Sri Lanka.

Yasmin

My experience in Sri Lanka

Being a first time solo traveller, I didn't know what to expect from my experience; in fact, I made a conscious effort to minimise any expectations in fear of disappointment. I can pleasantly say volunteering in Sri Lanka was one of the best experiences I've ever had!

After an anxious flight, I was picked up by a member of the Green Lion team and driven to the Green Lion volunteer house. I must say, I felt like an excited child during that 3 hour (ish) bus journey. Getting to know the other volunteers, looking out of the window to witness the hustle and bustle of Sri Lanka's streets. Everything I saw was new to me, and to be honest everyone was really excited to get to the volunteer house.

The volunteer house has a really fun atmosphere, everyone I met was travelling on their own, so everyone made friends really quickly. The orientation week is spent doing most of the touristic things people do in Kandy. Green Lion coordinators accompanied us on trips to visit spice garden, tea factory, Temple of Tooth etc. The orientation was a great way for us to get used to modes of transport and how to get around the city.

My work placement was called 'the disabled orphanage', it was a home for abandoned women and children with a range of physical and mental disabilities. Let me say, your first day will either terrify you or motivate you (or maybe both). The conditions are something that we all found disturbing. Vulnerable women and children are left to their own devices, one rocking in a corner, another who had wet themselves, others getting up to no good. There is very little supervision, as the few staff they have are busy carrying out tasks to keep the home running. It's a complete shock to the system.

Shortly after arriving, one of the nuns who works at the home lead a guided meditation session for the volunteers (there were volunteers from other organisations). She reminded us why we were here, how important our work here is, and gave us the motivation to go out there and interact with the women and children. We did the mediation every morning, and to be honest, it was something we all really looked forward to.

After the initial shock, we all began to fall in love with these women and children, and I really looked forward to going there every morning. You do morning classes with them (singing songs, reading, writing etc), and spend the rest of the afternoon helping out with feeding and interacting with all of the women and children who call you 'ANTI!!' (yes, being called aunty all day was pretty cute).

I won't try to explain the bonds I made, some things just can't be put into words. I just want to advise anyone thinking about doing this project to do it! Lets just say, I came home and began my career working with young people with disabilities. You don't get more life changing than that right?

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Yasmin, Thanks for your beautiful review. We think you are an amazing volunteer and it has been a pleasure to have you join us in Sri Lanka. It is really inspiring to hear about how initial shock turned into a deep appreciation and connection for the women and children at your placement. Guided meditation at these difficult placements is a really interesting idea and one we could take onboard elsewhere. Thanks for being an IVHQer and we wish you all the best with your new career.

Shuna

It is really satisfied!

I was one of the international volunteer in Sri lanka on August this year. I was a little nervous before leaving because it was my first going aboard alone. I didn't know what is waiting for me, I didn't sure whether it is safe or not. But things went so well, someone was waiting for us when we arrived at the airport and took us to the apartment. I met many Chinese here and got acquaintance with them. We went to a charity to join the Disabled program. All the volunteers here were warm-hearted. During the program, I met my friend Shirley. She is really a nice girl who had already been there for four weeks. She showed me around and told me where to work, where to drink, where to eat. We took care of the disabled kid in the morning and fed them in the afternoon. After that we could go for lunch and have a rest. Doing the laundry in the afternoon was kind of tired but we enjoyed. After finished the voluntary work, we stepped around to see the beautiful views. The bright sunshine and the blue sky were really fancinating. I will never regret to have such a meaningful experience!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shuna, We are so glad that you were able to overcome your initial nerves and had a meaningful experience in Sri Lanka. It is great that you made close friends with other warm-hearted volunteers on the program. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Paloma

RANDOM THOUGHT – VOLUNTEERING IN SRI LANKA (TEMPLE RENIOVATION) BY XINRUI ZHANG

In Srilanka, the most significant skill I learnt is making friends. From the first day I arrived at Colombo Tharaka(my coordinator in Srilanka), let me know how to help others. He let me practice, feeling the process of making friends. At that moment I suddenly felt, knowing a person originally is such easy. Listening to the passers-by share stories with each other along the way, whether still separate or become friends, such can be seemed as the real meaning of travel.

We painted for the temple and clean the walls around temple. Joss house provied a plenty of tea time and lunch. The food is delectable and local. Coordinator is a friendly resresponsible guy, everyone from different countries worked together, konwing each others. But it's pity that tools used as cleaning or painting is rare, that means lower efficence.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Xinrui, Thanks so much for sharing! We are so glad that you made meaningful friendships while volunteering on the program in Sri Lanka. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 40+ destinations around the world.

Over 80,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the...