Volunteer in Sri Lanka - Lowest Fees & Happy Volunteers Since 1998

Join our very affordable program in a country with stunning landscapes, pristine beaches, captivating cultural heritage and unique experiences within a compact location.

Situated on the tip of India, Sri Lanka is a small island and is ranked as one of the best volunteer abroad destinations. This is in large part due to the warm and welcoming people who will always appreciate the volunteer work you will do. However, the country has suffered from Tsunami and civil wars. With the peace returning, the people are now optimistic that Sri Lanka will march towards economic prosperity and the lives of the people will become better. RCDP works with grassroots projects in Sri Lanka to help the disadvantaged. Our volunteers will work with local people, immerse in local culture, enjoy the landscape and return home with life changing experience.

Our programs in Sri Lanka include orphanage work, teaching English, teaching Buddhist monks, elephant conservation and healthcare.

• Contribute in the way that is most meaningful to you by volunteering in a project of your choice
  • At $105, ours is the world’s most affordable volunteer program available
  • Your fees directly benefit your host family – there are no middlemen
  • Partner with others just like yourself–people who know that a better world begins with changing a single life
  • Your safety is always our priority… every volunteer location has been thoroughly vetted

Woan Lin

1 week at the orphanage Galle, Sri Lanka

I am truly blessed to be able to spend a week with the wonderful orphans here. They teaches us that we people/humans should have more humility, love and happiness. I was mainly taking care of the babies and during lunch hours i’ll play with the older kids. If the kids who are facing such adverse circumstances but come out strong enough to smile through life. Why are most people still complaining their lives are terrible? I urge future volunteers to contibute to the orpahange by buying them gifts and using monetary to give better lives to these orphans. I hope more kids get adopted so they can have a family to grow with.

I came during Christmas period, gave the gifts such as soft toys and stationeries. My host Michael and I asked the matron what the orpahange needs, we ended up getting 3 big exhaust fans for the toilet, main hall and classrooms. Audio player and speakers for the babies/kids to listen to lullaby songs during sleep or play time. The remaining money was given for the maintenance of the fridge/shower heaters/putting up wires and labour for the exhaust fans. A big thank you to some of my friends who contributed to the donations.

Michael is heart warming and his family are friendly as well. I joined the family for midnight Christmas mass and truly is a blessing to witness different culture but yet catholic tradition still stay strong. I’m blessed to be hosted by Michael and family. I caught with eye infection and Michael brought me to the hospital for check up. Simple gesture but a genuine man who has a kind heart and responsible one. With heavy heart, I’m leaving Galle tomorrow morning to backpack for the remaining week before I head back home (Singapore).

This experience is truly unforgettable, meaningful and sentimental. I want to thank the Teachers/caretaker in the orpahange, locals that I have crossed path and also Michael and his family that made my stay here feels like home. It’s my first time volunteering alone overseas, and wouldn’t be the last. May God bless everyone!

With love,
Woan Lin
Singapore
28 December 2018

If the Teachers/assistant know English, it’s easier to converse. But the teacher I worked with Kumuduni is wonderful! She knows abit of English and sometimes I use translated so she could understand what I’m saying or asking. Thank you for setting RCDP to help those in need.
Gregory

Two weeks at the orphanage in Galle

I would highly recommend the RCDP program in Galle Sri Lanka. I spent two weeks at the orphanage in Galle and found the experience to be wonderful. Children were very nice and energetic to learn. People around me were helpful.

Onsite coordinator was very helpful and went out of his way to make this trip a success. During my two weeks in Galle, with the support of coordinator, we were able to use the funds raised to provide medicine and cleaning supplies to the orphanage.
Our coordinator took a half day to bring me to all the places in town to ensure we were obtaining the best quality and price, which would have been impossible if I was on my own.

More importantly, he helped us even after I left the project to assist and solve issues relating to the 49 boxes of books for the children and young adult that were donated to the orphanages. These books were distributed to other orphanages in the area as well.
The time spent with the kids was of course the best part. I was with the older children (age 2-5), and spent the morning and early afternoon playing games and spending time with them. The head teacher was great as well and you can see she truly cares for the children.

I would suggest learning some very basic vocabulary before arriving, just so you're able to give directions to the kids while there, as they don't all understand English yet. Overall - a great experience that I would recommend to all.
Paula

Elephant Orphanage – Sri Lanka

RCDP is a lot cheaper than other organizations but doesn’t offer less anything less. Some people on the projects was on were paying a lot more for exactly the same thing. At the elephant orphanage it was a great experience I loved bathing the elephants however there was a lot of down time and you had to be proactive to help out at the elephant orphanage.

The children’s elephant orphanage was great initially I felt overwhelmed by the number of little kids (I was expecting older children but they are all under 5). Most of the children have skin infections. Some have scabies. This doesn’t stop you wanting to help but it would have been nice to know other volunteers so I could have talked to a doctor back home. Overall I have had an amazing time in srilanka but you definitely get out what you put in.

Project staff were kind to me, when ever I need help they were their for me. My host family was very nice and they care me a lot, I love people and project very much. It was my wonderful moments while I was there. Thank you for providing such a wonderful project with kind people.

RCDP Staffs are very nice and helpful. I was surprised and pleased with the fast response from staff, so I would strongly recommend RCDP to anyone, I really love this project.
Michele

Amazing time with amazing people!!!!

I stayed in Galle with the host family. I really loved my life here. I felt at home from the very first day I arrived in host family house!!! The whole family was so open and they helped us whenever they can. They showed us places you would never see as a 'normal tourist', for example a wonderful Batik or a secret beach...Host father was so kind, he helped me to arranged a bike, so I can go to the orphanage by bike and we went on a four-day-trip with him, it was amazing.

The work in the orphanage in beautiful, it feels so good to make all the children and the babies smile and to help them in their daily life. It was wonderful period of life to spend a time with these cute children. Everything is so natural and familiar.

When you stay with host family house, you learned so much about the culture, the traditions and the religion in Sri Lanka and you get to know many friends and relatives from the family.

I also had the opportunity to join a film project with friends from the family; it's one of the best experiences I've ever made!!!

Also the location is a dream, the house is right next to the sea, so we can go swimming whenever we want and it's very easy to get to Galle Town by walking.

I would strongly recommend this country, the organization 'RCDP International Volunteer', the work in the orphanage and above all - program was wonderful!

About RCDP International Volunteer Program

Established in 1998, RCDP-Nepal is a recognized leader in the field of volunteering. RCDP-Nepal pioneered volunteer in Nepal and India programs. Our volunteer program offers an alternative way to enjoy the exhilarating and exotic beauty of the nature...