Support projects in the field of Education, Social, Health and Animal Welfare in Arusha, Tanzania

Whether you want to volunteer in a Kindergarten, Nursery, Pre- or Primary School, be active in the field of Women Empowerment, gain work experiences in Hospitals or support the work in an Animal Shelter or Animal Welfare Organization; we got the right project for your wishes, needs and knowledge. Martin, a professional tour guide and the founder of Viva Tanzania who was born and raised in Arusha selected all our projects with care and know many of then personally for years to guaranteed that help is needed and all support like money and time will be used for the project. Tizia (German) is Cultural Anthropologist and already spent a year as a volunteer in Tanzania and did an internship in Arusha. You will live together with them during your time in Arusha. Depending your project you will work in the field selected but all programs have in common that you will get the chance to gain first hand experiences and be creative! Register today and start your adventure in Tanzania!

Emily

Fantastic Volunteer Project at Mt Meru District Hospital

I volunteered with Mt. Meru District Hospital. When I first arrived, Viva Tanzania helped me get my volunteer visa set up and introduce me to the hospital. Volunteering with the hospital is organized much as it would be in 'Western' hospitals. The hospital let me choose what area I wanted to work in, and I then met with their volunteer coordinator who had me write a statement of intent for what I wanted to learn and experience throughout my time there. The staff was very friendly, and I was even invited to a nurse's home for dinner. The volunteer coordinator and the Viva Tanzania staff regularly checked in with me to make sure I was having a good experience. There are many jobs that both people with professional degrees, students, and others can do – as professional staff often are involved in cleaning, decorating, etc. The nurses were very excited to teach me how to mop because, obviously, Americans do not know how to mop. I also observed and aided in other duties. Although I spent the majority of my time volunteering in the Reproductive Health Clinic, I was also able to observe major and minor surgeries. (I did help some. I adjusted the surgeon's headlamp as the power was out.) Knowledge of Kiswahili would be useful but not required. This would be great place for an internship or rotations for a medical or nursing student.

1 person found this review helpful.