Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Tanzania from $375

Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Tanzania from $375

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the northern town of Arusha, near the foot of Mount Meru. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including English teaching, orphanage care and medical electives.

Our programmes in Arusha run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
- 24/7 in-country support
- In-country orientation course
- Volunteer Handbook
- Full Financial Protection
- And of course PMGY’s round the clock UK support service – It’s what we’re famous for!

Andrea

PMGY Tanzania

Had the most incredible experience, especially being an American. I volunteered with several people from around the world. It was amazing getting to know everyone, and sharing this experience with them. Arusha is a wonderful place to volunteer since it is know hotspot for volunteers. The location in which we lived was amazing, cozy and convenient. It wasn't far away from the hospital and it was right in town. We as all the amenities we needed and the staff was amazing. Thank you Queenie and Jodie, and the rest of the staff at the Mulberry for keeping us safe, informed, and having fun with us. The staff is also incredibly helpful in setting up Safaris and weekend getaways. I wouldn't change a thing.

Perhaps in the hospital department. We primarily volunteered at Mt Meru district hospital but I think it would benefit us greatly if we were able to see other hospitals in Arusha.

Melissa
London
Nottingham Trent University

Amazing Arusha

The whole experience was amazing, I felt prepared before I left and was greeted at the airport and taken to the volunteer house. I volunteered at Nourish school and orphanage and it was such a rewarding experience. No two days were the same, we also visited a baby orphanage and that was emotional. The experience was amazing and I've made lifelong friends who I hope to volunteer with again in the future.

More variety of food

Lucy
Australia
Charles Sturt University

Tanzania Medial Placement

I spent 2 weeks in Arusha at a Medical placement with PMGY and I cannot recommend it enough !! The staff were so helpful before getting to the country and whilst there, they provided 24 hour support to all the volunteers. The accomodation was a lot nicer then I had expected and the food wasn't too bad. There were always other volunteers around to hang out with during time off and there are lots of things to do. On the weekends and days off the staff can help you plan trips away so that you can explore Tanzania which was really good. There is a bar and restaurant at the volunteer house which was good and town is literally only a 2 minute walk away. I can't wait to plan my next trip with PMGY and even return to Tanzania because it was such an amazing place ! Ideally next time I would like to go from a little more time 3-4 weeks as 2 weeks was only just enough to settle in and meet some new friends.

Lucy
Taunton
University of Bath

Unforgettable experience!

I did the medical program for 3 weeks, the overall experience was amazing and I wish I had stayed longer . The doctors at the hospital are more than happy to explain things and let you help out. I learnt so much during my time there.
The accomodation is basic but comfortable and the house Mama's prepare lovely food. The support was excellent as there was always a member of staff at house if there were any problems.
The people you meet soon become like family and saying goodbye is the hardest part!

More food options as the menu becomes quite repetitive especially for those staying longer periods of time.

Alex

2 week orphanage project in Arusha

From start to finish, my experience with Plan My Gap Year was excellent. The handbook and support given pre-departure was extremely helpful and Josh answered my emails promptly and thoroughly.
The support given on arrival, during and on departure in Arusha was great and I always felt very safe and secure.
I did the 2 week orphanage project at Nourish school and orphanage. It was an incredible experience and a very hard goodbye.
For potential volunteers looking to join the programme, I would highly recommend PMGY. There's so much more to do as well as your programme and the people you meet become friends for life.

The wifi was broken for the duration of the time I was there and we weren't told this before we went!

Laura
United Kingdom
Newcastle University

Amazing experience!

The pre-departure support from PMGY was so useful, I would recommend using it as much as possible! Josh was great to speak to over the phone, friendly and informal - really knowledgeable about the programmes.
I spent 4 weeks in Tanzania and I wish I had gone earlier and stayed longer as the experience just gets more enjoyable as you get to know the other volunteers and the staff. The accommodation is relatively basic - there was no WiFi while I was there (not always the case) and the showers aren't consistently warm - but it was extremely social, comfortable and I wouldn't change anything major. The house Mama's cook amazing food, just be open to trying some new things and you'll never go hungry! The Mulberry (bar and restaurant on-site) serves more Western foods and is a great little social hub to have right next door.
The staff in-country are fantastic and there is always someone available to chat to and ask any questions or reports any concerns. I did an orphanage placement and a member of staff escorted me and the other volunteer on the first day to show us the journey and introduce us. I took food every day for the kids breakfast and toys (from the resources shelves at the volunteer house). Apart from playing with the children, I helped with food preparation and keeping the orphanage clean and tidy.
I would definitely recommend this experience if you're willing to be spontaneous and settle into the 'pole pole' lifestyle in Tanzania :)

Caroline

PMGY Tanzania Meldical Program

Amazing! I was scared that it wasn't going to be as good as other programs due to the price being much more affordable. However this was not the case! I can't fault anything and I had an experience of a lifetime. Everyone was so friendly, the accommodation was fantastic, the food was better than I was expecting, there was a bar and restaurant at the accommodation, the medical program was great. I can't wait to choose another destination to volunteer at through PMGY or to go back to Tanzania!

N/A

Will
Tanzania

Tanzania 2017

I stayed in Arusha, Tanzania for 1 month from the 3rd of June till the 2nd of July volunteering in an orphanage. I cannot recommend this trip enough! i think 1 month is the perfect time limit to go as you have enough time to really get to know the other volunteers and locals that work there. I also think that going in June/July time is perfect as there are always other volunteers around and the weather isn't too hot.
It's difficult to describe how it's so enjoyable but it is definitely worth doing through PMGY.

Hot water

Lauren

Tanzania orphanage programme

I have recently returned from a months trip in Arusha in Tanzania I would say the experience overall was amazing. At the airport we were immediately greeted by the staff at the airport, and helped with our luggage and even given a gift! Everything was well explained and we were shown and told how to get to our placements and back - that staff came with us for our first day. Our accommodation was pretty standard 4 people of the same sex per room and we were provided with mosquito nets, etc. The food varied, breakfast and dinner was included in our package and it was mostly traditional African stuff with some western bits aswell. Loved every minute an would highly recommend to anyone.

More space for people as is very crowded when busy. More options for food as a few of us didn't eat most of it.

Leon
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
St George's- University of London

Give it a shot!

Through PMGY I was a medical volunteer at a private clinic, community clinic, and a government hospital during my one-month stay in Arusha, Tanzania, and lived with a local family.

The pre-departure support is comprehensive, the volunteer handbook is all you literally need, including interesting information and advice like to avoid giving money / items to those who ask or you may promote further exploitation which I had also learnt previously the hard way. Of course, if I had rare questions i would usually receive a reply within 24 - 48 hours.

The in-country support is again comprehensive. They will personally guide you to your home, work, attractions to see in town such as the museum, maasai market, and to the essentials like the grocery store and banks.

Regarding accommodation, unlike most volunteers, I chose to stay with a local family where I was placed up in an extremely peaceful, quiet, cool and "green" mountain. Here, I had a first world bathroom shared with only one other roommate, a private room with a bed, including mosquito net, desk, shelves, chair, light. The home cooked food is delicious and tasty, and I will admit that I am a fussy eater too. The best part is that it is Tanzanian food and really fresh as they grow much of their food! You can even help with feeding the animals, gardening and cooking over an open wooden fire if you want to! However, I live about 45 minutes away from town, including the volunteer house, so it can be difficult to spend time with other volunteers.

For my placements, I did not expect to experience healthcare delivery in three distinct settings and am very happy that the in-country team could organise that for me, even on such short notice i.e. within a week of my request while already volunteering at the time. They definitely want to help you get the most out of your time in Tanzania! My favourite is the government hospital which is the busiest and most action-packed location where you get to observe and assist in a range of tasks and operations, depending on your knowledge and skills or willingness to learn how to do "XYZ", such as watching C-sections in the theatre to performing examinations on patients in the wards like measuring blood pressure, undertaking a Glasgow coma scale test, or undertaking phlebotomies, respectively. Just remember that it is Africa so you will witness unique and potentially traumatising events which you will not see in the developed world, let alone on "western" news or in "western" documentaries. Be open-minded, respectful and remember that the medical staff are ultimately doing their best to help patients get better with the very limited resources they have available. Also I recommend that you learn to speak some Swahili, at least do the pleasantries fully in it, including farewells, because if you develop good working relationships with doctors and nurses which includes also chatting with them, they will incorporate you as part of the team more often so you will learn more and get more practical experience. Besides, Swahili is a great icebreaker and you will make a great first impression.

In summary, if you want an intimate volunteering experience and experience life like a local working Tanzanian but also have the freedom to do touristy activities as well, then I would encourage you to stay with a host family, brush up on your clinical skills, and start applying. I will never forget coming "home" everyday to my "family" on a daily basis after opening the front gate where the two children would run to greet me and hug my legs, or how my host mother would welcome me to her home with a beaming smile, help me with my belongings and ask about my day. I know they say home is where the heart is but after living with a local Tanzanian family for a month, i'm starting to think family is where the heart is too. The best part is that tomorrow, I get to experience this moment all over again, and although I may live alone with my roommate in the mountains, I certainly did not feel alone but welcomed and adored by many.

Maya
Cambridge

A fantastic trip! Tanzania, July 2016

Had the most amazing 5 weeks in Tanzania and didn't want to leave!
All the pre-departure information from PMGY is brilliant, the volunteer handbook is very informative and contains all the info you need about Tanzania and the projects, which helped me to feel more prepared for my trip. The PMGY team were great at answering all the questions I had and responded quickly to emails.
The team in Tanzania is great and we felt very welcomed, right from when we were met at the airport. Any problems were quickly sorted and we could always contact or speak to a member of the team if we needed. The local team are also great at helping to organise weekend trips, to Moshi (hotsprings, waterfalls, start of Kilimanjaro) and to a Maasai village, which allowed us to explore more of Tanzania!
The accommodation is very close to Arusha town centre, local shops, ATMs, and within walking distance of the supermarket and fruit market. All the volunteers relax and have dinner together in the evenings and I made loads of new friends!
I did the teaching project and in my class the children were aged 6-7. I helped to teach Phonics, English and Maths, sometimes alongside another volunteer, and sometimes by myself, so it was always good to plan the activities I was going to do with my class.
There is lots to do at weekends, locally around Arusha and also the Moshi trip and safari were both amazing!
For anyone thinking of going to Tanzania, or another country with PMGY, I definitely recommend it!! I had the best time and wish I was still there! Everyone in Tanzania is so friendly and I hope to go back one day! A big thank you to Plan My Gap Year for all your help and for all the information!

Katherine
Cambridge

My Trip to Tanzania, July 2016

Just got back from an amazing 5 week trip to Tanzania and already dying to go back! The pre-departure support was so useful, the handbook has literally everything you need to know in it and PMGY replied to all of my millions of emails with questions so quickly. The in country support is also great, from the airport pick up and the town tour to solving any problems that we had- Jodie and her team are absolutely great and will do anything to help! In terms of the in country team you are made to feel more like a friend than a customer which is so lovely and really helps you to settle in! I did the teaching project which I absolutely loved, they do throw you in at the deep end so be prepared for leading a class on your own straight away but you soon get used to it! I absolutely fell in love with my class and I wish I could have brought every single one home with me! We helped with teaching English, Phonics and Maths as well as playing with the kids at break time. We also had some freedom to do our own thing, for example on the last day we did a whole school paper aeroplane competition which was so much fun! I cried so much when we had to leave the school on our last day and then one of my favourite kids from my class (I know you're not supposed to have favourites but...) was sitting on my lap and started wiping away my tears with her dress and said Nakupenda teacher Katherine (which means I love you) which just made me even more tearful but it was the cutest thing in the whole world and I will never forget that moment! The volunteer house in Arusha is also fab, you stay with volunteers from a few different companies which is so nice as there is always lots of people to meet! I met so many amazing people in the volunteer house which totally made the trip and I really hope we can all stay in contact. Whilst we were out there a Café/bar attached to the house opened which was great as we spent a lot of evenings around there drinking cocktails and chatting around the fire. We also had some amazing weekends, from Safari in the seregeti to swimming in natural hotsprings and visiting a Maasai village there is so much to do!
My advice to future volunteers would be just throw yourself into everything, both in terms of the project and socially. The project will love it if you come witih your own ideas sometimes rather than just beig told what to do. Also do as much as you can in the evenings and weekends, there are always people doing things and you might as well make the most of all the opportunities whilst you are out there. For example every Tuesday we went to a free movie night at a place called Via Via, its just nice to get out and to get some free popcorn!
I've had the best time ever and I really feel like it's made me more confident to go to Univeristy and given me the travel bug in a major way as well as givng me a renewed appreciation of life in England.
Thank you SO MUCH Plan My Gao Year! To anyone that is considering using PMGY, 100% go for it! They are such an amazing company and I can't wait to hopefully go away with them again!

Jaslene
Hong Kong

An experience the average volunteer may not get

Through PMGY, I was a medical volunteer at a private clinic, community clinic, and a government hospital during my one-month stay in Arusha, Tanzania, and lived with a local family.

Jessica
London

Volunteering in Tanzania!

I really did have such an amazing trip in Tanzania with PMGY and would absolutely recommend it to anyone. I chose them primarily as they were the cheapest organisation i found, but honestly they cut no corners. PMGY were very helpful with my questions beforehand and managed to get me sorted even though I only enquired 3 weeks before my departure date! Everything needed was given to us in writing which was a comfort and was very accurate information. Arrival was very easy on my part and the volunteer house is perfect! I settled in so so quickly as all the in-country PMGY staff were so lovely and helpful as well as the other volunteers being amazing. I made some great friends in the time i was there, as we spent loads of time together in the house and on the weekend trips (which are brill for keeping busy whilst not on placement). I worked in an orphanage which for me involved a fair bit of teaching, playing and cooking-so great to have a bit of teaching as i was torn between teaching & orphanage placement. All i can say is the more you put in, the more you get out of your experience, PMGY will totally look after you, so go with a totally open mind and you'll have a trip you will not forget.

Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) is an award-winning international volunteer placement organisation based in the UK. We provide the worlds most affordable, need-driven and supportive short-term volunteer programmes across Africa & Asia. Our programmes start from just one weeks in duration right up to six