• Tanzania

Program Details

Year Round
Guesthouse

Pricing

Price varies among projects. Please check our website for a more detailed overview of our projects and their respective prices.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
Feb 10, 2020
Nov 16, 2022
5 travelers are looking at this program

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the northern town of Arusha, near the foot of Mount Meru. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including childcare, English teaching, and medical electives.

Our programs in Arusha run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here.

Program Highlights

• Most Affordable – PMGY’s programs are accessible to everyone who wants to make a difference, through low fees and high-impact projects.
  • Best Support – Our international and local teams provide extensive around the clock services to assist you every step of your PMGY adventure.
  • Safety Prioritised – With safety a PMGY number-1 priority, we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure our programs are as safe and structured as possible.
  • Extraordinary Experiences – With PMGY, you have the opportunity to truly immerse yourself in amazing cultural and travel experiences, ensuring you leave with unforgettable memories.
  • Friendships for Life – Your PMGY experience not only opens up a doorway for new experiences and exciting memories, but also life-long friendships when meeting new people from around the world.

Popular Programs

tanzania-childcare

Leave a lasting impression on the lives of some Tanzania’s most disadvantaged children assisting with childcare and education.

tanzania-teaching

Teach in a school or kindergarten in one of the most extraordinary places in the world. Help the children build a positive, constructive future for themselves.

tanzania-medical

Combine learning with hands-on activities in this placement that will give you essential and exciting experience for your medical career.

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Victoria

Wonderful experience, would highly recommend

I had the best two weeks ever, the staff were kind and accommodating and the fellow volunteers I met on the programme were so friendly. I completed the hospital programme in Arusha, it was highly enriching and eye-opening. I was able to immerse myself in a completely new country and culture and meet so many new people. On the weekends we had the opportunity to go on day trips, safaris or to Zanzibar, and those trips I'd also recommend as the landscape is stunning and there are endless things to see and do.

Pros
  • Full of culture
  • Chance to meet many people from all walks of life
  • Very flexible programme
Cons
  • Outer trips can be expensive
  • Power cuts are often but manageable
Maggie

Wonderful Time in Tanzania

I had the most wonderful time in Tanzania! Volunteering at the hospital was one of the most eye opening experiences I have even been a part of. I loved getting immersed in the culture and learning to greet the locals in Swahili and bargain at the markets. The landscapes and animals that I saw were beyond anything I expected and I highly recommend a safari to the Serengeti if possible. Above all my favorite part was all of the great people I met!! It was so cool to be living with people from 10+ countries and learning about their lingo and way of life as well.

Pros
  • Safari to the Serengeti
  • Immersed in new culture
  • Felt so safe
Cons
  • Short volunteer days
  • Lunch not provided
Fanny

Childcare - July 2022

Childcare - July 2022
All I can do is recommand Plan My Gap Year as a first (or not) experience in voluntering. Im only 18 and it was my first time out of Europe so I was kind of scared of how things would go, but all of the coordinators (Angel, Halima, James, Elias and Huruma) are there for you whenever you need them, they make sure you feel confortable everyday and treat you like they’ve known you for a long time! For example, you could feel a bit homesick on arrival which is completely normal, but all the coordinators will do anything that’s in their power to help you feel better.
When going to town, some of the local people will try to get more money from as they can see you are a tourist and don’t know the price of the local stuffs, but again the coordinators will be behind you and will explain to you as soon as you arrive what price you should pay for everything, they are also ready to « fight » any person that would still try to get more money away from their little baby volunteers !
The accomodation was simply amazing, everything you need and most of all : always super clean !! The mamas take care of the food, but also of the cleanliness of the house. They change the sheets of all the beds every couple of days.
I wouldn’t change my placement even if I could, that school was really one of the kind that needs volunteers to « function »
I feel grateful for this experience and I will come back as soon as possible

Andrea

PMGY Tanzania

Had the most incredible experience, especially being an American. I volunteered with several people from around the world. It was amazing getting to know everyone, and sharing this experience with them. Arusha is a wonderful place to volunteer since it is know hotspot for volunteers. The location in which we lived was amazing, cozy and convenient. It wasn't far away from the hospital and it was right in town. We as all the amenities we needed and the staff was amazing. Thank you Queenie and Jodie, and the rest of the staff at the Mulberry for keeping us safe, informed, and having fun with us. The staff is also incredibly helpful in setting up Safaris and weekend getaways. I wouldn't change a thing.

Perhaps in the hospital department. We primarily volunteered at Mt Meru district hospital but I think it would benefit us greatly if we were able to see other hospitals in Arusha.
Melissa

Amazing Arusha

The whole experience was amazing, I felt prepared before I left and was greeted at the airport and taken to the volunteer house. I volunteered at Nourish school and orphanage and it was such a rewarding experience. No two days were the same, we also visited a baby orphanage and that was emotional. The experience was amazing and I've made lifelong friends who I hope to volunteer with again in the future.

More variety of food
Lucy

Tanzania Medial Placement

I spent 2 weeks in Arusha at a Medical placement with PMGY and I cannot recommend it enough !! The staff were so helpful before getting to the country and whilst there, they provided 24 hour support to all the volunteers. The accomodation was a lot nicer then I had expected and the food wasn't too bad. There were always other volunteers around to hang out with during time off and there are lots of things to do. On the weekends and days off the staff can help you plan trips away so that you can explore Tanzania which was really good. There is a bar and restaurant at the volunteer house which was good and town is literally only a 2 minute walk away. I can't wait to plan my next trip with PMGY and even return to Tanzania because it was such an amazing place ! Ideally next time I would like to go from a little more time 3-4 weeks as 2 weeks was only just enough to settle in and meet some new friends.

Lucy

Unforgettable experience!

I did the medical program for 3 weeks, the overall experience was amazing and I wish I had stayed longer . The doctors at the hospital are more than happy to explain things and let you help out. I learnt so much during my time there.
The accomodation is basic but comfortable and the house Mama's prepare lovely food. The support was excellent as there was always a member of staff at house if there were any problems.
The people you meet soon become like family and saying goodbye is the hardest part!

More food options as the menu becomes quite repetitive especially for those staying longer periods of time.
Alex

2 week orphanage project in Arusha

From start to finish, my experience with Plan My Gap Year was excellent. The handbook and support given pre-departure was extremely helpful and Josh answered my emails promptly and thoroughly.
The support given on arrival, during and on departure in Arusha was great and I always felt very safe and secure.
I did the 2 week orphanage project at Nourish school and orphanage. It was an incredible experience and a very hard goodbye.
For potential volunteers looking to join the programme, I would highly recommend PMGY. There's so much more to do as well as your programme and the people you meet become friends for life.

The wifi was broken for the duration of the time I was there and we weren't told this before we went!