Plan My Gap Year - Volunteer in Tanzania from $375

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Plan My Gap Year has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

PMGY offers 2-week to 6-month volunteering opportunities in the northern town of Arusha, near the foot of Mount Meru. Volunteers get involved in a wide-range of project work including childcare, English teaching, and medical electives.

Our programs in Arusha run throughout the year. We have two start dates every month so you decide when you go and how long you go for.

• Most Affordable – PMGY’s programs are accessible to everyone who wants to make a difference, through low fees and high-impact projects.
  • Best Support – Our international and local teams provide extensive around the clock services to assist you every step of your PMGY adventure.
  • Safety Prioritised – With safety a PMGY number-1 priority, we have taken all necessary precautions to ensure our programs are as safe and structured as possible.
  • Extraordinary Experiences – With PMGY, you have the opportunity to truly immerse yourself in amazing cultural and travel experiences, ensuring you leave with unforgettable memories.
  • Friendships for Life – Your PMGY experience not only opens up a doorway for new experiences and exciting memories, but also life-long friendships when meeting new people from around the world.

Popular Programs

tanzania-childcare

Leave a lasting impression on the lives of some Tanzania’s most disadvantaged children assisting with childcare and education.

tanzania-teaching

Teach in a school or kindergarten in one of the most extraordinary places in the world. Help the children build a positive, constructive future for themselves.

tanzania-medical

Combine learning with hands-on activities in this placement that will give you essential and exciting experience for your medical career.

Andrea

PMGY Tanzania

Had the most incredible experience, especially being an American. I volunteered with several people from around the world. It was amazing getting to know everyone, and sharing this experience with them. Arusha is a wonderful place to volunteer since it is know hotspot for volunteers. The location in which we lived was amazing, cozy and convenient. It wasn't far away from the hospital and it was right in town. We as all the amenities we needed and the staff was amazing. Thank you Queenie and Jodie, and the rest of the staff at the Mulberry for keeping us safe, informed, and having fun with us. The staff is also incredibly helpful in setting up Safaris and weekend getaways. I wouldn't change a thing.

Perhaps in the hospital department. We primarily volunteered at Mt Meru district hospital but I think it would benefit us greatly if we were able to see other hospitals in Arusha.
Melissa

Amazing Arusha

The whole experience was amazing, I felt prepared before I left and was greeted at the airport and taken to the volunteer house. I volunteered at Nourish school and orphanage and it was such a rewarding experience. No two days were the same, we also visited a baby orphanage and that was emotional. The experience was amazing and I've made lifelong friends who I hope to volunteer with again in the future.

More variety of food
Lucy

Tanzania Medial Placement

I spent 2 weeks in Arusha at a Medical placement with PMGY and I cannot recommend it enough !! The staff were so helpful before getting to the country and whilst there, they provided 24 hour support to all the volunteers. The accomodation was a lot nicer then I had expected and the food wasn't too bad. There were always other volunteers around to hang out with during time off and there are lots of things to do. On the weekends and days off the staff can help you plan trips away so that you can explore Tanzania which was really good. There is a bar and restaurant at the volunteer house which was good and town is literally only a 2 minute walk away. I can't wait to plan my next trip with PMGY and even return to Tanzania because it was such an amazing place ! Ideally next time I would like to go from a little more time 3-4 weeks as 2 weeks was only just enough to settle in and meet some new friends.

Lucy

Unforgettable experience!

I did the medical program for 3 weeks, the overall experience was amazing and I wish I had stayed longer . The doctors at the hospital are more than happy to explain things and let you help out. I learnt so much during my time there.
The accomodation is basic but comfortable and the house Mama's prepare lovely food. The support was excellent as there was always a member of staff at house if there were any problems.
The people you meet soon become like family and saying goodbye is the hardest part!

More food options as the menu becomes quite repetitive especially for those staying longer periods of time.
Alex

2 week orphanage project in Arusha

From start to finish, my experience with Plan My Gap Year was excellent. The handbook and support given pre-departure was extremely helpful and Josh answered my emails promptly and thoroughly.
The support given on arrival, during and on departure in Arusha was great and I always felt very safe and secure.
I did the 2 week orphanage project at Nourish school and orphanage. It was an incredible experience and a very hard goodbye.
For potential volunteers looking to join the programme, I would highly recommend PMGY. There's so much more to do as well as your programme and the people you meet become friends for life.

The wifi was broken for the duration of the time I was there and we weren't told this before we went!
Laura

Amazing experience!

The pre-departure support from PMGY was so useful, I would recommend using it as much as possible! Josh was great to speak to over the phone, friendly and informal - really knowledgeable about the programmes.
I spent 4 weeks in Tanzania and I wish I had gone earlier and stayed longer as the experience just gets more enjoyable as you get to know the other volunteers and the staff. The accommodation is relatively basic - there was no WiFi while I was there (not always the case) and the showers aren't consistently warm - but it was extremely social, comfortable and I wouldn't change anything major. The house Mama's cook amazing food, just be open to trying some new things and you'll never go hungry! The Mulberry (bar and restaurant on-site) serves more Western foods and is a great little social hub to have right next door.
The staff in-country are fantastic and there is always someone available to chat to and ask any questions or reports any concerns. I did an orphanage placement and a member of staff escorted me and the other volunteer on the first day to show us the journey and introduce us. I took food every day for the kids breakfast and toys (from the resources shelves at the volunteer house). Apart from playing with the children, I helped with food preparation and keeping the orphanage clean and tidy.
I would definitely recommend this experience if you're willing to be spontaneous and settle into the 'pole pole' lifestyle in Tanzania :)

Caroline

PMGY Tanzania Meldical Program

Amazing! I was scared that it wasn't going to be as good as other programs due to the price being much more affordable. However this was not the case! I can't fault anything and I had an experience of a lifetime. Everyone was so friendly, the accommodation was fantastic, the food was better than I was expecting, there was a bar and restaurant at the accommodation, the medical program was great. I can't wait to choose another destination to volunteer at through PMGY or to go back to Tanzania!

N/A
Will

Tanzania 2017

I stayed in Arusha, Tanzania for 1 month from the 3rd of June till the 2nd of July volunteering in an orphanage. I cannot recommend this trip enough! i think 1 month is the perfect time limit to go as you have enough time to really get to know the other volunteers and locals that work there. I also think that going in June/July time is perfect as there are always other volunteers around and the weather isn't too hot.
It's difficult to describe how it's so enjoyable but it is definitely worth doing through PMGY.

Hot water