Volunteer at a Primary School in Karatu, Tanzania

Volunteer at a Primary School in Karatu, Tanzania

Tanzania Education Corporation is dedicated to providing financial, material and technical support to Tumaini Junior School and soon Tumaini Senior Secondary School. Our volunteers work at the pre-primary level or, if certified teachers, up to Standard 7. We work with our volunteers to create individual projects with concrete goals that benefit all participants. You will see the difference you make. Past volunteers have worked with us as part of their teaching degree, conducted research on nutrition and revised our school menu, and created an ongoing exchange program between Tumaini and American students. Currently we are working on improving our STEM skills and reading culture, but we are always interested in the ideas that our volunteers bring! We provide housing, full-time staff support, and adventure a short distance away in Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti, and Kilimanjaro.

Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
Africa » Tanzania
Costs vary depending on time spent volunteering. Volunteers cover the cost of room and board provided by TEC at $175/week or $130/ week for stays longer than 3 months. See site for a full outline of costs.

Marina
In Annecy, France

summer at Tumaini School ,Karatu

It was my first experience as volunteer in Africa and i was kind of worried before arriving because i didn't have any other feedback from the organisation. But from the first day,the coordinator volunteer was available to help me and support me. The whole team of the organisation was at the volunteer house to welcome me and i really appreciate it.
The volunteer house is placed in a safe place ,next to a very nice bar with wifi . It is really cosy and clean. I had never expected to be placed in a house like that
My first day at the school, the coordinator volunteer introduced me to the staff of the school and they were really nice and happy to see me.They were excited to have me the whole summer at the school .I felt like at home from the first day thank to the children,the teachers ,the staff of the school and definitely to the organisation.
I could work with all the children of different levels and to make part of the organisation in orden to organize some events like the sport day.
It was a wonderful experience and it is worth value.

Response from Tanzania Education Corporation

Thank you for your kind words Marina. We are so happy you felt welcome here. Karibu tena!

Sara
Bethel, ME

Engage + Empower

I travel with high school age students and partner with TJS. The support staff ensure a safe trip and work with my students to have meaningful cultural experiences. The staff and teachers at TJS are well connected to the Karatu community so students not only get a sense of the school, but also the town.
There are many highlights, but none compare to the opportunity to work with teachers to explore what learning means cross-culturally. Being in classrooms, the library, and the computer room provide endless partnership moments.

Tanzania Education Corporation was founded in 2007 to support the vision of Modest Bayo, our school director, in creating an excellent and innovative school for children in Karatu, Arusha. Forty percent of students at Tumaini Junior School receive some kind of financial aid, and they