By GoEco   Reviews (3)   90% Rating

Top Volunteer Projects in Thailand

By GoEco   Reviews (3)   90% Rating

Come join this great opportunity to experience Thai culture and volunteer in a meaningful placement.

Over the years, our assortment of Thailand programs have successfully hosted volunteers from around the world. No matter what you're interested in - teaching, childcare, gardening, sports, cultural exploration, animals, construction, and more - we have an option for you!

Peruse through our options below and start planning your trip to Thailand today!

• Learn, Volunteer and Travel: Learn about Thai culture while volunteering in local villages and teaching underprivileged children. Volunteers will have a variety of responsibilities ranging from teaching, organic gardening, and assisting with after school activities such as sports, art projects, and games.
  • Akha Hilltribe Aid and Experience: Volunteer in the local villages set in the magnificent hills of Chiang Rai. Volunteers help the Akha community with a variety of projects based on the needs of the tribe at that time.
  • Elephant Rescue and Conservation: Stay with a local family and learn about elephants when volunteer in the mountainous region of Chiang Mai. Volunteers learn about elephant behavior and help reintroduce rescued elephants back into the wild once again.
  • Gibbon Primate Sanctuary: Be part of an amazing wildlife sanctuary that rescues injured or orphaned gibbons and provides them a secure and happy home. Volunteers will help take care of the gibbons by feeding them, cleaning their enclosures, and helping socialize the gibbons to human interactions. Volunteers will also participate in a cultural orientation week at the beginning of the project, which introduces Thai culture, cuisine, and societal norms.
  • Koh Samui Teach and Beach: Teach local children English which provides them a foundation for their future education. The school believes in teaching English by using fun, positive learning techniques such as games. Volunteers will learn how to control a classroom, prepare lesson plans, and assist with extra-curricular activities.
  • Koh Samui Beach and Build: Be part of a team that helps an impoverished community grow and develop into a strong, independent society. Volunteers will begin their volunteer experience with a one-week orientation to learn about Thai culture and customs. Volunteers then travel to Koh Samui and begin their projects which include painting walls, renovating existing structures, and assisting with any other projects around the community.
  • Coastal Marine Conservation in Phang Nga: Be part of the conservation effort that is working towards restoring the marine and coastal ecosystems in Phang Nga. The project reaches out to local villagers, hotel workers, and dive shop owners to teach them the importance of marine conservation and how they can help these efforts. Depending on the time of year, volunteers will help with sea turtle conservation, various surveying projects, and mangrove planting.
  • TEFL and Teaching in Koh Samui: Take part in a 4-week intensive teaching course, which culminates in earning the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) certification. Then spend the last two weeks honing your teaching skills while working in a government school. Near the end of the project, volunteers will be given the opportunity to seek further employment teaching English in Thailand.
  • Elephant Village Experience: Help ensure the continual safety, health, and well-being of elephants in Thailand. Volunteer work will be split between elephant care and community work. Volunteers will help feed, bath, and walk the elephants. When volunteers are not with the elephants, they will be helping the community with various tasks such as working in the rice paddies, making paper, and assisting with repairs in the village.
Asia › Thailand
Cost
Program Cost Includes:
–Accommodations and 3 meals a day during your stay
–Airport pickup upon arrival
–Orientation and training with cultural introductions
–Comprehensive travel and health insurance for volunteering abroad

Program Cost Excludes: Flights, personal expenses, extra excursions, visa fees (if applicable)
0.00

Rating Values

Alexis
Cleveland, Ohio
Case Western Reserve University

Elephant care in Surin village

Overall 8

I’ve never been so close to those amazingly gigantic creatures, so close that I could feel their snuffling; elephants’ trunks are like huge pipes, but more flexible and powerful. Muscles in their trunks make it easier for them to twirl and tear the leaves on the banana trees at once before chewing. Those pipes can also be used to storage water as they always put their trunks inside their mouths after sucking water that could fill out half of their trunks.
During my homestay in Surin village, I was able to take care of Bank, a pregnant 18years old elephant. Because of her pregnancy, her emotion was a little bit unstable and she probably did not like the water very much (cause she was pretty restless and kept hitting the ground with her trunk before going inside the river). I help the Mahoo(owner of the elephant) scrub his elephant; sometimes owners asked us volunteers to climb up elephants' backs, and that was the time when I felt extremely insecure but exhilarating! Why? Because what elephants would do was pretty inestimable, lean to one side and dump us into the river? Diving to wet us dummies on their backs?... Who knows? At this point, here's a tip: do not ride on a male elephant if you are not prepared to dive all the time, because they are like whales, excellant swimmers!!! They go up and down, without giving you time to breathe...My roomate was dare to ride on a male elephant, and that fascinated and frightened her pretty much..haha.
Taking elephants to a shower was just one of the fabulous experiences I had during my stay in Surin village. There are other wonderful experiences to, like going to the local market (which I love the most because the dim-sum and fruits there were extremely delicious and cheap), going to a circut, and so on..
In all, I would never forget my stay there~

I suggest the working time per time could be longer because there's only up to three hours each day...during spare time, maybe the volunteer leaders could organize us to visit neighbors (especially those who have elephants)...
Sergej
Gifhorn, Germany
University of the Sunshine Coast

Great Times with the Beach & Build Project on Koh Samui (Thailand)

Overall 9

My time with GoEco and the Bamboo Project was a great success. In fact,GoEco’s partnership with the Bamboo Prjocet should be considered as a win-win situation for all participants.

My trip began with a wonderful day of sightseeing in Bangkok – with lots of different impressions and first insights into the Thai culture. This day was topped with a great night out exploring the famous Koh San Road in Bangkok.

On the next day and night we had a fun bus and ferry trip to Koh Samui, where finally my work at the Beach and Build Project has begun. The weather has been hot and rainy at the same time. In fact, the conditions have been changing a lot and the work at the school has been challenging as well.

How did we face these challenges?

Well, we continued the work at the school with a big Smile, a huge portion of Fun, a mixture of Flexibility & Creativity and a Positive Way of Thinking.

That’s the Thai Way, Fellows!

Indeed, the Thai culture has to be loved. No matter what, Thai always stay calm, smile and find a solution. This is definitely something the Western Culture should adapt.

I have had competitive table tennis sessions, I have met wonderful people, I have had interesting conversations with different types of people, I have made great friends, I have seen beautiful beaches, I have swum with pigs and local kids and I have eaten tons of spicy food.

Simply put, Unique Experience & Great Times!

Jessica
Framingham, MA
Framingham State University

Orphanage in Sing Buri, Thailand

Overall 10

The experience as a whole was amazing. I loved helping the children and it truly changed me as a person. It is a fairly independent volunteering experience so for people who need a strict guidance, it might be lacking.

We would get to the orphanage early every day and our supervisor, Pi Won, would tell us about the major things that HAD to go done (vs. the things that we could choose to do or not) and then we would split up among ourselves and go about our day.

I felt completelly safe the entire time I was there. The Greenway house is incredibly welcoming and our supervisor, Phil, helped us in any way he could. For instance, if we wanted to travel outside of Sing Buri, Phil would find us the safest and best priced ways to go. We also all had his number in case of emergencies. Considering that I was a 20 year old American woman traveling by myself, I think the fact that I felt very safe at Greenway, says a lot .

The only thing I did not like about my experience was that once we got back around 5 p.m, there was not a lot to do. Some days, trips to the mall or other places would be planned but most days, we just played cards. It is definitely good to have some downtime but Greenway is located in a part of town where there are not a lot of things to do in case you get bored of cards.

Overall, I would recommend this trip to anyone.

GoEco is a leading eco-tourism company with a varied selection of affordable volunteer projects abroad. We act as a gateway to over 150 extraordinary community, wildlife and environmental initiatives all over the world thanks to our great partnerships. Join one of our rewarding projects and become a part of the global volunteer movement!

Community Photos: