Bamboo - Two Countries VolunTour - Thailand & Cambodia

Making Friends
Making Friends

Bamboo's most popular volunteer tour takes you through two of South-East Asia's most exciting countries with a group of like-minded people, fully supported by experienced guides.

Starting in Thailand's iconic capital, Bangkok, you'll travel to the north-eastern province of Surin for an unforgettable few days getting up close and personal with the majestic elephants and living amongst the beautiful people that call this place home. Help out with micro development projects which benefit not only the welfare of the elephants but also the local communities that protect them.

After five days here, waving goodbye to your new found friends you'll head over the border to Cambodia and on to the chilled out city of Siem Reap. Here you'll get to work with NGOs at various community projects as well as experience the awesome temples of Angkor Wat.

*Tours for 18 and over or 50+ are available

• Guided city tour of Bangkok's best landmarks
  • Spend time with the magnificent Elephants of Surin
  • Give back in the rural villages of Siem Reap on one of our amazing projects
  • Experience a traditional Thai home stay in the Elephant Village
  • Taste authentic Thai and Khmer cuisine

Jean

Elephants and kids

I can't tell you how wonderful the experience was for me and at 72 wasa little nervous. I needn't have been as our guides in both countries were exceptional.We saw so much of the elephants feeding washing walking with them. In Cambodia the children were beautiful souls, eager to learn
Included was Angkor Wat such a bonus !!! We went also to Ton le sap lake to the floating village too. Everything was amazing and will live with me forever. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The Elephants very mischievous and grab the bananas. Building for the community meant that gradually all had homes. Angkor Wat was amazing with tuctucs everywhere
Monkeys ran freely around some with their babies
Pub Street I'm Siem Reap is a must. Tonlesap lake is the largest in SE Asia.

What was your funniest moment?
Our American lady preparing for a hurricane. Mattresses up at windows in a storm
We watched the storm but she had upturned her suitcase and held it over her head to protect her from falling walls and debris which never happened...she was certainly prepared for death..We couldn't stop laughing at the preparations she made. We Brits don't have hurricanes so to us it was just a bad storm .!!!
jan

Badly organised - in Thailand. Cambodia excellent

The Bamboo organisation was terrible in Bangkok. The saving factor was the elephant encounter which was amazing and the actual tour guide who was a freelancer. All aspects of hotels, travel and meals provided changed on an hourly basis. First being dumped in a strange country and left to find a hotel with only the name and that was no longer the hotel who's info you had been given. A 2nd day travel departure changing, meet time at 8 pm the first evening informing you that the following day you were not leaving at 6.30 am but 2.30 am (result no sleep)Things just got worse from then on when it came to arrangements. No help from management just a threat of how you could be thrown off the tour if you complained. Elephant encounter made things a lot better because this was EXCELLENT. Left out of pocket having to pay for meals and transport that were suppose to be provided .
Cambodia was a complete contrast, well run and amazing hotel. Odd that this part of the trip has changed after we left and they will not be using these staff and this hotel in future (do not understand why, were they too well run and thus not providing as much profit for the company - purely my interpretation of the reason)

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Would and in fact WILL use a different operator.

About Bamboo

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel. We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate...