Meaningful & Affordable Service Learning Programs in Thailand

Meaningful & Affordable Service Learning Programs in Thailand

Thailand, the "land of smiles", is synonymous with white sand beaches, delicious exotic food, and warm smiley people. It is also a place with unlimited opportunities to create positive change through our service learning programs and your enthusiasm. Bring back with you long lasting memories of an accomplished assignment, of all those new friends and people you met, and of a captivating time abroad.

Our programs in Thailand are divided in four areas.

1) Education: Teach English in Phuket or Chiang Mai and make a make a difference in the lives of young children.
2) Conservation: Lend a hand in conservation efforts on the coasts of the Phuket and the Andaman Sea.
3) Animal Care: Volunteer with rescued elephants in Chiang Mai or abandoned cats and dogs in Krabi.
4) Social Development: Join local community efforts to transform the lives of struggling social groups through art and education of resource management for sustainable development.

Asia » Thailand » Phuket
Asia » Thailand » Krabi
Asia » Thailand » Chiang Mai
Asia » Thailand
Accommodation: In volunteer houses or a beach house depending on the location.
Meals: Meals provided by some organizations during work days. Weekends vary depending on the program. Please check program for more details.
Airport pickup: Included and transfer to accommodation.
Daily transfers: Included where necessary. Please check program for more details.
Orientation and support: Comprehensive orientation on safety and security, culture shock, and about being a volunteer in their project. 24/7 staff support during assignment time.
Complimentary trips and cultural excursions: Please check on program page for details.
Thai lessons: Optional, with an extra charge.

Rachel
Fairfax, Virginia
George Mason University

Thailand Adventures -- Is this Real Life...?!

With a background in social work, I have always loved working with children. After a strong urge to travel and having completed my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course, I set off for Thailand with the help of the Volunteer Bay, managed by Pedro and Vida.

Besides being some of the most kind-hearted people I've met, Pedro and Vida were also extremely helpful in navigating a new country as a single female. I also learned their insider tips on great eats and the best beaches in Phuket, although it was admittedly difficult to find any beach that wasn't breathtaking. Once I began teaching English at a Thai government school, I fell in love with the Thai children. They were very well mannered and respectful with a cute sense of humor.

Having played soccer since I was five years old, I found a "Football League" and also made some friends for life on the "pitch." Phuket has a huge ex-patriot community, so it was easy to make English-speaking friends. Thais are some of the most friendly and happy people I have ever met, so it was easy to make connections with them too. It was much easier to make friends with Thais who spoke English for me, as my Thai was not the best, despite my attempts.

I was able to work on my Thai most with the children during my volunteering time in a local orphanage, since I was able to volunteer there, thanks to the The Volunteer Bay. The children were younger than the ones I taught, and they also spoke very limited English, so it was an entirely new experience with friendly, adorable, smiling faces. I spent time with them coloring, playing musical chairs, playing with clay, and eating dinner. The women who worked here also spoke limited English, but they were always so welcoming, offering me a drink every time I arrived.

Overall, this was the experience of a lifetime and I have friends from all over the world now. It did help that I'm extroverted and sociable in making friends, but you can find your group anywhere. I loved that it was such a cultural experience too; not only did I learn some Thai, but I also picked up their customs and occasionally go to wai (slight bow with prayer-like hands in front) someone in greeting and thanks. Lastly, I can't forget to mention that I experienced one of my new favorite holidays - Loy Krathong. Songkran, the world's largest waterfight, was also an unforgettable festival in Chiang Mai. You'll have to see for yourself!

Next stop... Ecuador with The Volunteer Bay.

Pamela
Melbourne, Australia

Amazing Holiday: volunteering and exploring!

As a vet nurse student, i decided to go practice my skills, get some knowledge and lend a hand at Lanta Animal Welfare. A friend recommended to get in touch with the Volunteer Bay, as they specialize on volunteer programs in Thailand.

They were very helpful throughout the whole way, asking all my questions no matter how silly, and helping me with all the details of my trip!

Everything was organized for me when i arrived. The Animal shelter was an experience I will never forget! It was amazing to meet so many like-minded people that were also willing to escape their busy lives to spend some time with dogs in need. There were people from all over the world, some of them tourists that decided to volunteer for a day or two; while others were full on Vets that wanted to have a gap year helping the less lucky dogs while spending the year in paradise. I volunteered for 2 weeks, and the shelter offered accommodation in the premises. On the afternoons all the volunteers will go out and explore Koh Lanta, have dinner from street vendors and watch the sunset from beach hammocks while discussing our big future plans...

After the 2 weeks volunteering, my husband joined me from Melbourne and we did some traveling around Phuket and Phi Phi Islands. Again The Volunteer Bay were very helpful, giving us info on where to rent scooters, which places to go to, which to avoid, timetables for ferries, recommended hotels in each destination and all we needed! We couldn't have felt more at home and comfy dealing with them!

I would definitely recommend volunteering at an Animal Shelter, as well as visiting Thailand and doing so through the Volunteer Bay. Such a welcoming country with so much to offer!

The Volunteer Bay offers volunteers around the world the opportunity to travel and help local grassroots organizations in Ecuador, Nepal, Thailand and now Costa Rica. Enthusiastic volunteers get the chance to join safe, affordable and educational projects, and enrich themselves from service learning assignments and