• Uganda

Year Round
Groups
Small Group (1-15)

Pricing

Regarding costs: we don't charge anything to volunteer. Volunteers pay for all their personal expenses (except for breakfast and lunch, which our volunteers are welcome to eat at the kindergarten for free with the staff and children). Living in Kampala is very cheap- A local meal costs about 1-2$ and casual transportation costs even less.
What's Included
Some Meals
Oct 16, 2020
Oct 08, 2020

Little Light is an NGO working with the community of Namuwongo, one of the world's harshest slums, located in Kampala, Uganda. Our organization is operating a wide range of programs including:

* A sponsorship program that supports over 240 children ages 3 to 18 by providing free education, medical care, and empowerment.
* A youth group that empowers young people from the slum through life skills programs, helps in acquiring vocational training, and much more.
* A women's group program that provides empowerment, life skills, and financial stability and independence.

The organization was founded as a collaboration of Israelis, local workers, and volunteers from the community itself that believe in the power of the community. Our organization's highest priority is to build and support leadership from within the community that will continue working for the benefit of the community.

Program Highlights

• Make a change for the better in the life of the poorest slum of Kampala
  • Explore and become part of the unique community of Namuwongo slum.
  • Share your skills and ideas! There is a lot to do and we encourage you to use your abilities and find new ways to make it.
  • Participate in meaningful, responsible, and respectful volunteering.
  • We offer you to take part in a once of a lifetime, exciting experience and encounter a unique and amazing culture.

Guy

Little Light Children center Uganda

A year ago I volunteered at the Little Light Uganda. The NGO operates a school for children who living in one of the poorest slums in Africa. Little Light supports about 300 families and promotes several projects such as health, education, sponsored funding, community contribution, a women's empowerment group and a youth group.

The experience of volunteering in Uganda was extraordinary because the volunteers get to promote projects that have a huge impact on the lives of people who really needs it. If you seeking a pure place where you can express your true values than this is the right place for you.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Although Uganda is very poor, I was surprised to find that the Ugandans have qualities of humility and a proper realistic look. I mean it was unusual to anyone approached me to ask for a donation or some help. For them they live their lives and have no expectation of asking for or receiving help.
Daniel

Best place to volunteer

The decision I made about three and a half years ago to go to Uganda and volunteer in Little Light was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. I have become acquainted with a new and fascinating culture and a lot of good people while doing something really meaningful to people who need it. Even after three and a half years, Little Light is a second home to me, and my experience there will stay with me for the rest of my life!

Shiraz

An amazing experience and true impact possibilities

I came to volunteer with Little Light for 2 months but my experience was so amazing I decided to stay 6! There are several programs volunteers work on and they make your work schedule according to your skills, interests and organizational needs.

I really appreciated how the organization works hand in hand with the local community to make true impact according to their needs. Also, the volunteers are the project leaders and have lots of space to bring their skills, ideas and initiatives!

Highly recommended!!