Summer 2017: High School Programs United States

Summer 2017: High School Programs United States

Rustic Pathways offers a variety of spring break and summer programs in the United States, showcasing the diversity of the country itself. Service buffs flock to our programs in New Orleans and Baltimore, while adventurers have a blast exploring the great outdoors in Alaska and California. Programs are one to two weeks long and can connect to other Rustic Pathways programs around the world.

“When people think of 'traveling,' I think they believe that they need to cross a large body of water to get a rich cultural experience. For me, that couldn’t be further from the truth. I believe our programs in the States challenge students in every way and open their eyes to the beauty and vast diversity of America.”
--Marc Mankowski, Rustic Pathways USA Country Director

North America » United States of America
Cost does not include airfare.

Show 1 - 15 of 18
Emily

Summer '15 Rebuilding New Orleans!

My trip with Rustic Pathways was the greatest gift that my parents ever could have given me. I had never traveled without my family before so I was nothing short of apprehensive but Rustic made all of my nerves go away. Before my trip even began I received a box with a shirt, a journal, informational material, and some fun stickers and patches. This got me so excited and also made my parents and I both feel 100% better about the organization that I was traveling with. When I went to get ready for my trip I was of course questioning what to pack and I found a packing list right on the Rustic Pathways website which made it so much easier and literally had everything I needed the whole time I was there on it. When it came time to leave for the trip I was traveling with school and when all twenty some of us arrived in New Orleans the rustic staff was so prepared to start our trip with us! They did everything possible to make us comfortable from accommodating food allergies that group members had to stopping at stores for anything that we needed along the way. The base house that we stayed in was absolutely amazing and it gave us the opportunity to connect as a group by cooking our meals and spending time together in the common areas.

The service part of the trip was the best experience of my life. I was able to connect with people form all walks of life and listen to their stories and how they were impacted by Hurricane Katrina as it destroyed their home. I was able to rebuild houses, help at a food cupboard, and learn about the area. We spent the majority of our time doing service but we also had time to appreciate the culture and the history of the city that we were helping.

Since I have come home from this trip my life has been directly affected by what I experienced. Once I got back to school, the other girls in my group and myself gave a presentation to our school about what we did and what we learned and we did continuing service projects to benefit New Orleans. I fell so in love with the city that this past year I took my mom and grand mom to New Orleans so that they could get a glimpse of the same thing.

All around this trip with Rustic Pathways was an amazing and life changing experience and I am overly confident in saying that it would not have been the same if I did not go with the Rustic company. I am still to this day in touch with the leaders that I had on my trip. I loved the company so much that I went on another trip to Costa Rica the next year and I am currently planning my next trip to go on hopefully next summer.

Everything about this program is great and I can't think of anything that needs to be improved.

Declan

Rebuilding NOLA 2017

This past summer I went on The Rebuilding New Orleans trip offered by Rustic Pathways, and needless to say it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I was greeted by Haley and Linni (shoutout to the best group leaders!) at the airport and immediately comforted by their happy and relaxed manner. The base house was perfect and the bedrooms were comfortable. I traveled alone, meaning I didn’t know any other student that I’d be spending the next 13 days with. Not that I was worried, but if anyone is concerned about going on a trip like this because you think you won’t make friends, trust me, the bond you create with these people comes quick and lasts forever. I got to earn a great number of service hours while also learning and experiencing what the beautiful city of New Orleans has to offer. By watching a few videos and driving to certain spots, we all were able to learn plenty about Hurricane Katrina and its impact. Service activities include helping out at a community garden, helping at a food pantry, helping at a local school’s garden, and, of course, rebuilding a home for someone who lost theirs in the natural disaster. The days were long and rewarding, yet everyone’s positive spirits and smiles made time fly. We did plenty of other things, such as going to multiple fantastic jazz shows, walking around the French Quarter, and seeing the Mississippi River. One memory that sticks out to me was when the group was split in two and in charge of dinner. We had some money to go to the infamous Circle Food Store and get supplies. That group activity, which included sharing the kitchen trying to make two different meals for the group, was so much fun (my group’s pancakes won!). Another great memory was when one of my new friend’s and I were walking in the French Market and stumbled upon a man that paints beautiful artwork by using things like animals and buildings to create our name. Both of us got one (not expensive at all) and we both cherish how beautiful and how quickly he made them. From free time playing Uno or watching a movie, each day was filled with plenty of great activities and surprises. We even walked around Tulane University one day! Meals at the park, the airboat tour on the swamp, I mean I could go on and on about all the great things we did. I definitely recommend this trip, especially if you prefer to stay in the United States. You won’t necessarily get the culture shock that I got in previous trips to Peru and Costa Rica, but you absolutely will have a great time in a new city, nonetheless. Rustic Pathways is a great company that does great things and I can’t wait for Fiji next year!

Olivia

Rebuilding New Orleans

This summer was my first time traveling with Rustic Pathways and I truly could not have hoped for a better first experience. I went on the program with one of my best friends and as soon as we landed we were greeted by 2/3 of our group leaders who were excited and enthusiastic from the start. During the program I earned 40 community service hours and while the hours were long and the weather was hot, it really didn't feel like work since the people you work with are so passionate about what they do. Partnering with people/organizations that care so much about giving back to the community makes the work much enjoyable and in my opinion impactful. Outside of community service we got plenty of time to explore the city . One of my favorite non-service days from the trip was when we went to Satchmo Fest ( A music festival dedicated to Louis Armstrong) even though it started raining as soon as we got there and by the time we left the streets were ankle deep in water it didn't stop us from having fun. After leaving the festival we ended up having a "hurricane" party (there wasn't actually a hurricane, just a lot of rain) my group spent the evening curled up watching movies and eating pizza. The group leaders also play a huge role in making the experience what it is, I can't imagine the trip without them. They taught me so much and even managed to make chores around the house enjoyable. By the end of my two weeks in New Orleans I was wishing I could stay for two more! I couldn't be more thankful for the time I was able to spend in New Orleans and can't wait to see what next summer will bring.

Gabriella

NOLA

I was so excited going into this trip (rebuilding New Orleans) that there was no time to be nervous. Students are greeted at the airport by the happiest program leaders ever! They are so eager to get everyone involved right away which makes it easy for students to make friends. Future participants should expect really rewarding long days. We did all sorts of different service projects, but my favorite was working in the community garden. We spent the morning mulching and weeding to improve miss. Gloria's garden that she shares with the community. There was one moment though that really stuck out. We had spent all week working on rebuilding a home, and then on Friday our group got to witness a welcome home party! This was a house that was just finished, and the owner finally got to return after his home flooded. He was so happy and grateful. Seeing his gratitude made all of our hard work worth it. I would highly recommend rebuilding New Orleans to any student!

Sarah

Beyond Capitol Hill: Refugee Youth Tutoring and Enrichment

Honestly, Rustic Pathways has changed my life for the better. I have previously done a program with Rustic in Arizona in 2015, (good works + grand canyon) and both trips have exceeded my expectations. More specifically, the Baltimore program was incredibly inspiring and truly impactful. Getting to work with such amazing individuals from all across the United States and the world really shifted my perspective on how I view things in life. The refugee children are so sweet and seeing their growth in their English speaking and reading skills over the two weeks was so enlighting to watch. It's really rare that you get to work with refugees, or even meet one, so the fact that this trip allowed me to do both was incredible. I remember the first day of service, and these girls I was working with were super nervous to meet me, but at the end of the two weeks, they were heartbroken to see me go; they wanted me to say longer. Not only was the service work incredible, but the friendships I've cultivated through the two weeks was unbeliable. We got so close and we still talk to this day, even though our program took place in July of 2016. I've come to realize that it's the little things that we all really bonded over. Like the music in the car or staying up super late playing Pokemon Go and tons of card games, or laughing hysterically over a funny story someone told at the dinner table one night, it all added up. We became a close family during this short amount of time. In all, I guess I would say that I came into this program a small 16 year old girl that was very shy, and hesitant to try certain things, but I came out such a stronger individual and friend. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is open to trying new experiences, living in a new environment, and getting to meet such incredible people from all over the world. This program has truly changed my life for the better, and I thank Rustic Pathways for the great gifts of this experience you've given me.

I wouldn't change a thing! It's incredible! I wish we could've spent more time with the refugee kids! :)

Rory

Off The Map: Alaska

There were times on my trip when we spent hours on the road going from one place to the other. One moment in particular is when we left one location (which I forget now) and we spent a good 4 hours or so just driving. During this drive, it was around 1 in the morning and most of us were asleep but for those who were up, saw that the sun was setting and wanted to take photos so when we stopped, everyone got up and took pictures for a good 30 minutes as we couldn't believe what we were seeing this late at night. After this moment, I couldn't have wanted to end my Rustic trip on a better experience than this.

Derek

Alaska

This was a Great program. Very intense. Wasn't sure what to expect... Cool fellow students and nice experienced staff. Glad to have participated. I came from NYC and wasn't used to roughing it so it definitely was an unforgettable 2 weeks! I learned a lot about the landscape of Alaska and survival in general. I will definitely return to Alaska in the future on my own.
Thank you Rustic Pathways for fantastic memories!

Emma

Take me back!!

Rustic Pathways is a fantastic company. I learned so much on my trip to New Orleans and it has become one of my favorite cities. Discovering NOLA was definitely my favorite aspect of the trip. It is a vibrant and eclectic city, full of Life and inspiring people. Helping the city recover was extremely rewarding and this trip helped me discover the value of service. However, if I had a choice I would've gone on another Rustic trip outside the US. It definitely was a very rugged or 'rustic' trip, we live in a very comfortable house and had access to any amenities. Some people there seemed to be volunteering only for university applications, something you maybe wouldn't find on more adventurous trips. Also, being able to use your phones took away from Rustic's 'unplug' philosophy. All in all, I had a great time and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of going.

Ariq

Was totally worth it

The trip was beyond my expectation. The vistas were out of this world and the community service that we did, gave impact to thousands of people particularly in the area of Flagstaff. Our group leader knew what's best of Arizona thoroughly. Would definitely recommend Rustic Pathways to all students out there.

I think it would be great by extending the duration as well as adding one or two states on the itinerary.

Yesim

As a parent the impact I saw on my child

My son just came back from Rustic Rebuilding New Orleans.
He has been definitely greatly impacted and in his own words says "things seem very different now" and he is rethinking many things.

The experience as a whole has been great, with very good organization, rich experience and a lot of good friendship and fun.

He says he would like to go back again with another program.

nothing

Maame

#NOLA #sorustic

The service we did in New Orleans was just so amazing. My group did flooring and another group did mudding. My group was able to floor 2 rooms, a hallway and a big living room which was just such an AMAZING feeling. I think my favorite part part of the program apart from the service would be the Jazz concert at Preservation hall and the Airboat ride where we got to see some live alligators. Never did I think that I would be able to hold a baby alligator. It was AWESOME....

I think the only problem I had was with the food. The meals at home weren't too good apart from a guy from the program who cooked on some days which was good.

Brenna

New Orleans 2012

I had a wonderful time in New Orleans during the summer of 2012. I met so many amazing people (some I still talk to) and made many great connections. The supervisiors were helpful and made the most of everyday that was spent in New Orleans. I earned 72 hours over the course of the two week program, and I would have loved to go back on another trip my schedule has not allowed me to do so. I did this program to jump start my volunteer hours mostly but then once I arrived in New Orleans, I forgot about my college applications and just enjoyed my time there. Though a costly program, it was affordable because it includes housing, food, gas money, etc. I would not trade this experience for anything; I urge everyone to go on a Rustic Pathways trip! At some points of the trip, we would go to a jazz festival or to the French Quarter to do some shopping, which was really nice because you were able to see what the city has to offer! Absolutely amazing, strongly suggest that everyone does a volunteer programs like this during his or her life.

Some items I ended up not needing but that was the least of my worries.

Gaby

Rustic Pathways Review

I went to New Orleans with Rustic Pathways and had the best summer of my life. I met great people, explored the unique city, and helped out the community. The leaders were amazing. They changed my life because of the lessons they taught us. They were so welcoming and made everyone feel important. As we worked in the houses we also got to hear the inspiring stories of how the hurricane affected their lives before and after. Rustic Pathways is a great program and everyone should get the chance to get the life changing experience i got.

This program was great but if i had to change one thing it would be to explore the city a little more but we still got to explore the city plenty.

Marco

The point of view of a both Swiss and Italian student

My name's Marco and I'm 16 years old. I come from Toscany, in Italy, but I actually live in Switzerland. I went in Arizona and in New Orleans. I'd recommend both of them to everyone. Helping others makes you feeling so good. The joy of seeing the smile of a man who just got a new house after Katrina in New Orleans or the one of a man that you just served in a soup kitchen in Flagstaff (AZ) is beyond words.
Thank you Rustic for the opportunity, see you next Summer in Thailand !

Marc Mankowski is the Key.

Caroline

Rustic Experience?

When i signed up for RP i expected lots of experiential learning and cool new friends. I enjoyed this program but definitely felt like all the kids were just going for college essays, which is really stupid!:/

No, I don't recommend

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways to one of many exotic locations. We take students on unique, rewarding, and safe programs to some of the world's friendliest and fascinating countries. Immerse yourself in a new culture, work on...