Dance Gap Year: Semester in Argentina

Group of female ballet dancers.
Group of female ballet dancers.

This Pizarts: Dance Gap Year program is designed to give dancers the opportunity to immerse themselves in dance, experimental theater, and teaching, all with the goal of learning how to do so using the Spanish language. Participants begin with a pre-departure orientation in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Four weeks of rehearsal and classes will take place in the capital, alongside local artists, to curate an original work that will be presented in Buenos Aires. Trips to Uruguay, to Mar de Plata, and Olavarria are included in the first part of the adventure.

Participants will then move to Cordoba, where they will live with a host family, begin courses in Spanish with a focus in teaching dance and art terminology, followed by classes in the evening in styles selected by each participant: hip hop, contemporary, ballet, jazz, and more. Cultural courses include dance forms, folklore, tango, silks, and flamenco.

• Experience the art of dance and experimental theater through an Argentinean lens.
  • Learn how to use the Spanish language to teach dance and engage with locals.
  • Live and collaborate with artists for a month in Buenos Aires to present a final work.
  • Study full time for two months in Cordoba language courses tailored to dance and art terminology.
  • Explore adventurous expeditions on the weekends with travelers like yourself.

Ako

The most exciting dance experience ever!!

I had such a wonderful experience on this gap year program.I really wanted to know another country's dance community but I didn't have any connection. And one day I found this program.

Since I cannot speak fluent Spanish so I was a little bit worried to go to Argentina but I had a great support from the program and ended up with the most amazing trip ever in my life. It was a pleasurable moment to communicate through dance even though we cannot communicate verbally, and we were able to share a love of dance each other. If you already know what you love and if it's 'dance', this is the program you should choose. The memory of communicating and expressing yourself through dance (universal language) will be the treasure of your life!

Jessica

Argentina Is A Beauty

It was a great time meeting new people who love dance. The folklore dancing especially the partnering Samba is so beautiful with scarves. Buenos Aires is cool very spread out and Cordoba is cool because you can walk around the city center. The dance and circus classes have really cool spaces. Classes have different levels and there are always live shows around the city. Food is really good especially if you like meat and pasta. The nature side is so beautiful and tranquil. It was a good time and I met some cool people.

I would have liked to have more free time and maybe having more options of stay. I was a home stay but would have liked to be in a place with a group of others traveling.