Alliance Abroad | GapYear Programs in Australia

Alliance Abroad | GapYear Programs in Australia

Winner of the 2016 Global Youth Travel Extraordinary Experience Award!

Your GapYear should be more than just a "break from reality". Your GapYear should be the best experience of your life. It should define who you are and everything you do from then on. Alliance Abroad Group GUARANTEES a 6-12 month PAID hospitality job BEFORE you land in Australia. How do we do it? We have a great team in Australia and the US that have established excellent relationships with leading Australian hotels and resorts. We also ensure you are taken care of every step of the way. We help with your visa, housing and even organize Meet Ups with other AAG participants in Australia. Don't spend your GapYear stressing about finding a job. Work with AAG. You'll leave with a deeper understanding of the world, a love of Australia and a passion for travel. What are you waiting for? Join AAG's Work Experience Australia.

Oceania » Australia
Program Tags
Hands-On Learning
Hotel
Primary Language
12 month hospitality positions pay $25,000 - $40,000. Program fees include job placement before departure, interview coaching, housing coordination, visa processing, in-country support and tax back assistance. AAG helps ensure you get the maximum tax refund possible. We also offer deferred payment options - requiring only $300 up front and then the rest upon receipt of your tax refund.

Hi Molly! I got this from the Alliance website- "Your friend or significant other may also enroll in the program and we will work to place you on the same property or in one nearby. Once you each apply, we’ll be able to provide you with more details in terms of specific location and placement. If you are choosing the freestyle package, any number of friends can go with you. They’ll just need to pu...

Riccardo
Bologna, Italy

Amazing experience in Oz

I've just gotten back from my 6 months program in Sydney; it has been such an amazing and unforgettable experience! Thanks to AAG, I worked at the Sheraton On The Park and I couldn't ask for anything better. I was part of an international team, so I had the chance to make friends from all over the world and practise and improve my english skills. If you like being in contact with different cultures and people, this is the right place for you. During my time off, I explored the area around Sydney -its beaches and amazing national parks, especially Blue Mountains, will leave you breathless- and I've been to Cairns, Queensland for a little holiday. Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef is a once in a lifetime experience! I saved money during my time in Australia, so I could backpacking New Zealand as well.

AAG did a terrific job. From the first time I contacted the office, they've always been very nice and detailed. They were ESSENTIAL during my job research, providing tips, interviews and plenty of support. They helped for tax refound, accomodation and bank issues. I really want to thank my team leaders Lisa and Lexi for her wonderful job. If you are looking for a safe, guided and high quality support, don't hesitate!

Hayley
Charleston

To particpate, or not to particpate: that is the quesiton.

Initially, I was overjoyed when I received news about finding a placement in Melbourne, Australia. What could possibly be better than a Visa that permits both a stable source of income and a holiday in Australia?! Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case, in a sad turn of events, I've yet to receive anytime off in the three months I've worked, to explore Oz. My hotel is short-staffed, which as permitted me from experiencing the "holiday" in my "Work/Holiday Visa". I was hired as a part-time employee, but I typically work full-time, without receiving any of the benefits. When I inquired about taking annual leave (seeing as I did not move to the other side of the world to spend all my time working) I was denied and was told that my annual leave would come to me in the form of a pay check at the end of my contract. If you could only imagine my frustration. I'm very disappointed. If I had known that this would be my experience, I would not have participated in AAG. However, I say this baring in mind, that I am one participant. This is my story. It's not to say this will be your experience. On a positive note, I work with people from all over the world. It has brought me immense joy meeting people from all walks of life. I think overall, if I had been afforded time to travel, I would have been satisfied with my experience.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Dear Hayley,
We're sorry that this experience has not been what you've hoped. That's disappointing for us as well. Our goal is to make the experience a great match with your needs and goals and the work experience. I have sent an inquiry to our Australia office and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

The Team at AAG.

Katie

my Australian experience

I am from Canada and have been in Australia for about 4 months. Alliance Abroad has helped me find a great job, and assisted me on finding a place to live in a good area close to my work. They have also kept in contact with me through out my experience here and have supported me with any help that I have needed. They have also organized a number of social outings for anyone in the program to go to which is a nice touch. I am very thankful for the support of Alliance Abroad during my experience here in Australia.

Eric
Plaistow Nh
Coastal Carolina University

silky oaks lodge

difficult to work for employers. staff and location made it very worth it. came out a stronger, and more tolerant employee and i know this will help me with future jobs. excellent location and countless memories were made. social life is excellent. small resort so jobs vary greatly. It was fun to have a roll here that is detrimental to the success.

the employees are not respected and taken for granted.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Eric,
Thanks for your honest feedback here. We really appreciate your genuine thoughts because as much as Australia is an amazing place to live, work and explore, we are aware that anywhere in the world (yes, even Australia!) would have challenging employers and that work environments can continually change. We have taken your feedback and discussed this with the employer in a professional manner. They are aware of this and we will continually monitor and work closely with them and proactively ensure that things move smoothly from now on as much as possible.

We are very pleased to know that you loved the location and staff and found great resilience in yourself to grow as an employee in the workforce but also, a a global citizen. Kudos to you and stay in touch to let us know what you get up to!

Program manager, Alliance Abroad

Tatiana
Houston, Texas

Best time but could've done it without AAG

I've just gotten back from my 6 month internship and time really did fly. It was quite terrifying the first two weeks and I got really homesick but there are so many people that are in that same boat over there so it is easy to connect with others. The food was amazing and there is something always going on in Melbourne. I had the best time of my life in Melbourne. I met the most amazing people and made memories of a lifetime. I worked at The Westin Melbourne and it was amazing. I learned so much there for my future career. I got to travel to Singapore, New Zealand, Indonesia, and Sydney. I was only there for 6 months but my work was understanding and flexible:) Unfortunately, I could have done the same without the program. It did not do much for me other than already having the job when I got there and help with taxes. I did not hear much from them while I was there and that was part of the reason I did it with them so I would be guided, I might as well just gone on my own. It was not worth the fee I was charged. Other than that my time in Australia was great! Especially Melbourne!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Tatiana,
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience and to provide your feedback. We're really happy to hear that you loved Melbourne with all the food and great events.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed working at such a great property too but we're disappointed that you felt we weren't as communicative with you as you would have liked. We are proud of the fact that our program offers a confirmed job prior to arrival and it's with a great, international brand for a good position with good hours (and some flexibility as you mentioned!)at a big hotel.

We take pride in staying connected with our program participants too but perhaps you didn't receive our emails for our monthly meetups. We'll make sure to touch base more with our participants over the phone in addition to email and on Facebook, thanks to your feedback.

Again, it's wonderful to hear that you had a great time in Melbourne. It's definitely one of the most liveable cities in the world for a reason!

Program Manager, Alliance Abroad

Barbara
Reading, PA
Temple University

2nd placement SCAM

Would not recommend! I signed up for the 1 year program. The program contract states that they find you interviews and when a job has been found you sign the paperwork and Alliance Abroad has done their job. What it doesn't state is that if you sign up for 1 year (2 placements) up front you are not getting a guarantee of anything honestly. They will attempt to get you a job but it may not be directly after your first job. You could be in limbo for a month or 2 and in addition to that they may not even find you a job or an interview. They will not give you a refund for the second placement because they fulfilled their terms of the contract by finding you the first job. The second job is just an expensive bonus for them! You pay for it but get nothing in return.

For me the first placement went well because I made the best of it but the second placement was a nightmare. I was held in limbo for 2 months without a job. I was then offered a job in a different city which I spent money to fly to, only to find I wasn't what they expected and rescinded my job offer. Alliance tried to find me other jobs but failed in getting me any other interviews. When I requested a refund, I was told that they have fulfilled their obligations by finding my my first placement which I completed and will not be issuing a refund. This is a scam!. They took money for a service they did not provide. Please use caution if you are going to use them. They have very pleasant and polite staff but the contract rules are way in Alliances favor. Don't get screwed like I did.

Also, don't be fooled by false promises. Helping you with housing refers to sending you links to housing websites you could find on your own. They are not much help in that regard. They sometimes give you a little help of areas to look in but have unrealistic expectations on what you can afford. Sure you can get a apartment next to your job but you won't be able to afford food. Or you can get an affordable place out of the city if you are willing to buy a car. Either way won't matter to them. More than likely you will end up living in a hostel and they'll be like "ah, it'll all work out"...NOT!

As for the job placements themselves, they are very candy coated and do not portray the actual jobs themselves. I was told I would be working for a restaurant in a hotel......it was a wildlife park. Not a hotel at all! How do you get that mixed up! I enjoyed working for the park because of the animals but the job itself was not even close to what I was described. Make sure to speak with employers directly. Alliance gives false information to either cover their lack of knowledge or lack of glamour of the job. I asked multiple times about the placement before I left America and was reassured it was a hotel despite my doubts since the website did not match the description. I was right.

Do yourself a favor and don't sign with this company. If you have any questions about my experience please contact me. I would be more than happy to help people avoid my mistake.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Barb,

Thanks for the detailed feedback on your experiences. It’s very unfortunate that you haven’t had the best program as we want all our clients to have a great time. There does seem to be some discrepancies in your comments to our emails so we would welcome the chance to discuss these further with you.

Sincerely,
Ash Jurberg, Director, Alliance Abroad Group

Brittnee
Sydney, australia
University of Windsor

AAG Review

Travelling so far from home can be pretty overwhelming. There is so many things to get organized and figured out before you can finally relax but thankfully Anita at AAG helped me settle in very smoothly. She has worked really hard to ensure I secured a job and helped me with my housing situation. I am very thankful to have such an awesome team helping me throughout my stay in Australia!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hey Brittnee,
So happy to hear that everything has worked out for you after our 1on1 housing orientation, setting you up with our AAG group online and of course, assisting with matching you with a great position to work with a fantastic company with good pay and great hours at the one and only: Sydney Opera House!! Super glad that you're feeling settled in so quickly and doing well in Sydney. I understand it can be pretty daunting indeed but it was great that we worked at as a team to go things step by step. Stay in touch with us: I look forward to hearing more about how much you love Australia!! Best wishes, Anita Program Manager, Alliance Abroad - Australia

Mairéad
Bondi Sydney
University of Bedfordshire

Review

After being in australia for a couple of months after traveling the east coast it was time to find a job. I had settled in sydney and applied for a number of jobs and heard nothing or just wasnt what i wanted. This is where i found alliance and they instantly found me a job and i started within a matter of days.
Without them i honestly think i would still be looking for a job and probaly thinking i need to go back home.

I would like to thank everyone especially anita! She has supported me throughout and still asks me how work is going. A true credit to the team.

Make it more known over seas as i didnt know about it until i was in australia

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Mairead!
Great to hear you are loving Australia and that we've been really helpful in assisting with a great job placement, support in our AAG community and being available to you to speak if you need anything! I'm really pleased to know that you really love where you're working at a high end restaurant with great pay and stable hours. This way, you can make the most of your visa too so that you don't have to keep wasting time searching for work! Keep in touch with us and can't wait to hear more about how much you love Bondi beach!! Best wishes, Anita Program Manager, Alliance Abroad - Australia

Breanna
Victoria, Australia
University of Arkansas- Fort Smith

My adventure to the Oz

In six short months of living in Australia, I have seen more than I ever thought imaginable. Beaches that take your breath away, mountains that make your life seem small, and animals I didn't even know existed.
Working at the Great Ocean Ecolodge in Cape Otway, Victoria, I had no clue what to expect. It has exceeded my furthest expectations. Kangaroos bounce past my doorway and windows each morning and night, koalas hang above me in the treetops when I set up my hammock, and everything I had thought seemed so dangerous about Australia, has become beautiful in its own unique way. I've eaten gourmet meals at the Sydney Opera House while the Harbour bridge glows in all its glory. I've swam alongside the sea turtles of the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland. I've hiked the tallest mountain in Tasmania to see the sunrise over the Franklin river. Still none of this will compare to the feeling you get when you realize you live in AUSTRALIA! That feeling will never fully sink in or go away. I have met some of the best people I will ever know and made friends that I know will last a lifetime! This experience has been the BEST decision of my life.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Breanna,
Thanks so much for sharing such wonderful and heartwarming stories of your life changing experience!! We're so glad to help you make this a reality for you and to experience something so memorable and exciting. It sounds like this is 100% unforgettable for you and that you will look back fondly at this time in your life forever. So happy for you!! Thanks again and send more photos: We love the ones you've shared so far!! Best wishes, Anita Program Manager, Alliance Abroad - Australia

Daryl
Sarawak, Malaysia
Taylor University

Life on Hayman Island

Living on an island has been an interesting experience. Since most of the time I worked breakfast shift, I have the rest of the day off and will have activities like scuba diving and skiing available for me. And most evening I would head to the beach to watch beautiful sunsets. Its definitely a luxurious working life. One of the difficulties I found was mainly having to do a lot of overtime as living on an island, the resort does not have access to a lot of human resource and are usually under staffed. Overall it was a very interesting and wonderful experience that I feel everyone should give it a try.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Daryl,
Thanks so much for sharing your story! We love hearing about everyone's experience and it's wonderful to hear that you had such a memorable time there applying your skills, experience and training from school to the actual workforce... and at one of THE most famous islands and resorts of Australia too!!

We really enjoyed meeting you in Melbourne and introducing you to some amazing food and cuisines here. We wish you all the best and stay in touch!

Simone
Padova

Great experience

Its a good experience for personal growth. You have all the instruments to make it great! Get a lot of friends and travel around australia.
As soon as you arrive you get your job.
this is a great start. then your adventure can only be improved.
Fix your goal and get it!

more assistance of finding house

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Simone,
Thank you so much for sharing your story and encouraging others to come to Australia!! We're really happy to hear that you've made some great friends, traveled around Australia and that you got to start your role right away. Thanks too for your feedback on housing. We continue to strive to talk to each person before they arrive to walk through, step by step, with them for a customized session about how they can find the best housing for themselves. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any further suggestions! We hope you continue to enjoy Oz to the fullest!

Lexi
Dallas, Texas
University of North Texas

Best Decision Of My LIFE

This was the most exciting and scariest decision ever. Exciting because I was about to be in a whole new country, scary because I was leaving everything I knew behind and starting a life on my own! Because of taking this leap with this awesome program, I have been able to meet so many amazing people that I can honestly call life long friends, I've tried so many new foods, learned about different cultures, learned how to live on my own, I've created a million and one memories, I even found the love of my life here, most importantly, I have realized just how strong and independent I am by making this big move! AAG has been there every single step of the way and I don't see them as my "program coordinators" but as my friends and mentors! They helped out with my accommodation, my banking, my job, and even helped me with getting my Aussie cell phone. They truly care and have your best interest and want the best for their applicants! I could not have gotten this far without them! They always let us know about upcoming events here in Oz, and check up on us to see how we are doing, so you will never feel alone. I love AAG and glad I made the decision to go with them!!!

If there was one thing I would change, it would be the selection you get to work from. For example, I wasn't told of all the different options I could choose to work for, instead an interview was just set up for me and that was the job that I was going to get. I did love the job and it was great, but having options to choose from would have been great!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Lexi, it's SO awesome to hear that you took the plunge to come to Oz and now, you're loving it here and thriving and traveling and living life to the FULLEST here!!

It's great for you to share your story and for us to see that you've enjoyed meeting others through the program and at work and anywhere it seems haha!

I'm really glad we got to meet and learn more about each other. We're happy to be your mentors and supporters so shout out if you need anything and we'll try our best!!

Keep loving and living life!! Looking forward to seeing more photos!

Jamal
Ashburn, Virginia
West Virginia University

Thanks so much!

I decided to go to Australia after meeting someone who had done it previously and loved it. I was already hating the after college life and needs change quickly! I was about 2 weeks out from my departure date when I stumbled upon AAG. It almost seemed to good to be true. I inquired and was quickly responded to. Rose helped me through the process and she was amazing. They help you step by step and I'm sure everything is even better if you give them more advanced time to work with than the 2 weeks I gave. They got me a job with a few days to spare and I was off to be a food and beverage attendant at the Sea Life Aquarium. It was not the most glamorous work, but it was a blast. I got to work with some truly amazing individuals and made friends that will last a lifetime. Every facet of work was great. I was averaging around 30 hours per week, which was okay. It was difficult to save at first, and then a manager in the Events department asked me to start working functions at all the various attractions. I started doing that, and saving was no longer an issue. It meant working a lot, but the people I worked with made work seem like a giant hangout. If things already weren't great, Anita came to Sydney periodically to arrange one large hangout with the rest of the AAG people. We had excellent nights out and it was cool to meet everyone else in the program. Anita is fantastic and always looking out for you. Once Rose was done helping me, Carolyn stepped up and she was always checking in to make sure everything was great. I decided not to use them for the second six months as I couldn't commit to another 6 months. I have a booked travel schedule the last 3 months. So I have been looking for another job on my own. Let me tell you, it is difficult! I'm confident I will find something soon, but AAG got me a job before I arrived and allowed me to enjoy Sydney stress free, totally worth the money! I'd like to thank you guys again, you were wonderful!

I never got a chance to really use the housing director, but help with that before you arrive might help. If there was an opportunity to for shorter term jobs that would be awesome as well. I know you have started that with the ski resort jobs.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hey Jammy Jam!
Rose, Carolyn and I are stoked to hear that you've had such an awesome, unforgettable time here in Sydney and Australia. Thank YOU for sharing your story and it's so great to see that you've made some amazing lifelong friends and seen some beautiful parts of Oz. We're really glad too that we were able to facilitate your transition to living here to help with the hours and having a job set up, waiting for you prior to your arrival... and ending up to work with your new friends!

I really enjoyed meeting you and it was awesome to have you come out, meet new people the program and of course, check out some cool, new, hidden places. Great to hear you enjoyed them too as I sure did!!

Keep in touch and enjoy the rest of your time in Oz!

Mike
Indianapolis Indiana

Travel to Australia with AAG

Living in Sydney has been an awesome experience so far and coming over with AAG was definitely the right decision. They have been great at getting back to me with answers to any question that I have had and its been a big advantage already having a job lined up upon arrival. Sydney is amazing there are so many different little suburbs that cater to all different types of people and interests, from artsy to beach bumb to hipster to city business life there is somewhere for everyone. The one difficulty that I have had is with the housing. Its hard to get that set up before you come and it takes a while to find a place after you have been here. I found out afterwards from talking to people in the program that most end up staying in hostels for the first 3-4 weeks before moving out. while its possible to find a place sooner than that. If I was to do it over again I would just plan on staying in a hostel for 2 weeks while I got settled and found a place I was happy with.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

HI Mike,

Thanks for your feedback and great to hear that you're enjoying Sydney and loving all the amazing aspects of the people, many awesome things to do and fun places to explore!! It was great meeting you and learning more about what you love about Sydney.

Thanks too for your feedback about the housing too. It's an ongoing piece we aim to resolve to the best of our ability and I really appreciate your thoughts here.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in Australia!

Yoann
Sydney, NSW

I have been traveling for a few years, living in Paris, London, Miami and San Francisco - so I know how to handle stuff by myself. The thing is AAG have b3een helping me from France to Australia in a way I was not expecting and this for a few reasons.

First of all you have to understand that they are able to find a matching position for you in Australia whatever your background. Please do not believe that because of your chaotic or diverse professional background AAG won't be able to find a GREAT professional position for you in Australia. Sydney? Melbourne? Cairns? Perth? Darwin? Or maybe the outback? Your choice.

I was lucky enough to end up in a 5 star hotel in the heart of downtown Sydney for my first placement. I spent 6 months interacting, meeting, dealing and building strong relationships with people form all over the world. How will you feel knowing that you have dealt with a cosmopolitan teamwork and dealing at the same time with demanding international customers? I am convinced you will feel proud of yourself and... accomplished! Such as lifetime experience... Thank you AAG.

AAG organization and dedication made me feel safe and even more confident while traveling from France to Australia. The process from A to Z was managed perfectly. Big up to the American Team in Austin especially Rose who did just a faultless job in getting me in Australia, with a professional and friendly way. Thank you Rose ;)

When it comes to find an accommodation, guys, there is nothing to worry about! (at least in Sydney). Sydney is really easy going city and you won't have any trouble to find the accommodations which match with your expectations, If I found, 24h after my flight landed, the perfect single room (no room share) in Hyde Park area for only 250$ a week...everybody can do it ! Just be smart and confident ;) And yes! Sydney salaries are high so you will be able to afford a room in the city center and not to worry about public tranportations on a daily basis ;)

After my #ozsome Sydney Experience, I decided to keep working with AAG for another 6 months placement. Why ? simple because they did such a great job for the 1st one. I'm now about to work in another 5 star company in a completely different place, far away from the big cities... new experience, new lifetime adventure... Thank you AAG.

Yes the program is pricey, it is...but ITS WORTHY! The Team is so dedicated and they will do their best to tick all the boxes... and trust me, even if you are demanding and picky, you won't be disappointed. Just give it a shot.

To conclude, I just want to say thank you.

THANK YOU AAG, especially Anita the Program Manager based in Melbourne. If you guys got the chance to interact with her, she's gonna with her expertise and dedication do her best to make your Australian Adventure at the best and I am convinces, with her professionalism, her reactivity and her enthusiasm that she will with no double exceed expectations. Thank you so much Anita for going the extra mile.

Thank you too to Carolyn for all your support in getting me from Sydney to Queensland. I really appreciate all your support and help with the practice interview, planning of my travels and updates and tips.

Thank you AAG team.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Yoann,

Thank you so much for your detailed and thorough review! I'm sure many people will find this so helpful and appreciate the time you took to share so much about your experience.

I am confident that many people will feel very motivated that they will find housing in Sydney, have a good job and find some great friends with our support, even, as you mentioned, if they are well traveled.

Thanks too for sharing your thoughts on the program's process and team: We really appreciate your accolades and strive to make everyone's experience as positive and memorable as possible. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience!!

Genki
Japan

Ayers Rock

Ayers Rock was nice place but sort of difficult place to understand particularly about aboriginal people. For example after restaurant is closed some people come into there from behind door and try to steal food from fridge.of course not all of them. But Ayers Rock is the place for them and they are like a god there.they often do whatever they want. But I could learn heaps of stuff there.

Nolan
Exeter, ON. Canada

6 months in Ayers Rock, i would of stayed longer if i could of

i am really liking the program with alliance abroad

i emailed them with asking them a couple questions one day because i was unsure about coming to Australia. i got a call back from rose who is unfortunately not there any more but she helped me out in any way possible answering any questions i had and when i sent her an email even after office hours i would get an email back right away. that is what sold me on alliance abroad is there will to help me out before i had even booked my plane ticket or applied for my visa.

when you arrive in Sydney they will put you up in a hostel for two nights, i was in wake up hostel. and it was the funnest hostel i had so many good times there and made lots of friends in just two days, not to mention there is an excellent bar just beside the hostel which took lots of my money :p

i then flew to Ayers Rock, they will pick you up from the airport and you go through your orientation. i was working as a porter at sails in the desert, 5 star hotel and loved every second of it!

this was an awesome 6 months they have a great front office team and good atmosphere to work in. the porter team is the best team there by the way ;)

you live in the staff accommodation which is about a 20 min walk to work. they call it "share share" this type of accommodation is for all entry level positions. you have 2 people on one side and 2 on the other with a kitchen and bathroom in the middle to share.

staff meals are so good there. you get a meal while you work. and the new 10 day menu is excellent!

i will never forget the amazing sunrises and sunsets, and the best yet is the stars the Australian sky out in Uluru is something like you have never seen before and words can not describe it

i also got to climb Ayers Rock and that was the best hike/ climb ive done yet, i also went to kings canyon which is a three hour drive away and the canyon edge walk is so amazing. if you love the outdoors you will love Ayers Rock

you can also do a couple of walks through kata tjuta which is another rock formation there and the views you see from the walks are amazing

i went skydiving here, very scary but well worth it and would do it again in a heart beat!

as you can see there is lots to do in your down time and there is more than what i have listed. i got to see it all while i was there, ayers rock is an experience i will never forget

im now addicted to working in remote locations because the people are great, the work is good, and most importantly you get to work in some of the most beautiful places around the world. city life is boring ;)

Ayers Rock is a great place to make money and was one of my incentives to go there. you have your full time job and you can also multi hire around the resort for some extra money

im now doing my farm work in Queensland in order to get my second visa. it will be a long time before i return to Canada in July 2016. i love it here. next plan on getting a job on an island somewhere off the Queensland coast

i want to thank the alliance abroad crew. you have all helped me out through emails and calls. and you will be getting more reviews from me on each place i work at!

the price could be lowered just a little bit, considering all the other things you have to buy on top of that like plane tickets, your Australian visa, travel insurance and more.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Nolan,

Thanks so much sharing so many amazing details of your fantastic experience at Ayers Rock!! It's so wonderful to hear that you've had a great time in Sydney and then, found a wonderful community and experience at Ayers Rock.

Great to hear that the staff accommodation was good, the team atmosphere and not to mention, all the awesome activities you got to do when you were there!!

Thanks so much for sharing all the photos. Keep living your dream!!

Elaine
Melbourne!!!

BEST CHOICE I EVER MADE!!

Coming to Australia was really the best choice I've made. Without AAG it wouldn't have been nearly as great as it has been. I had no idea where to start in terms of staying for a long time and really had too many specific questions that needed to be answered, so i couldn't Google them. AAG helped me with all of that. to start, they answered any questions about moving over to OZ and really guided me through the visa process. To top if off they found me the most amazing job at the Westin in the middle of Melbourne's CBD. I don't think i would have had a chance at landing this job without them. The location couldn't have gotten any better and as a potential Hospitality Major working here gave me invaluable experience that I can put toward my studies.By having a job before I landed, I wasn't worried about where my next paycheck was and knew I wouldn't have to worry to much about money, this left me with plenty of time to explore the city and the food! I'm about 6 months in and love this place much more than i could have ever anticipated...I don't ever want to leave!

I honestly cant think of any way the program can be improved....its all run so smoothly for me! Everyone who works at AAG is very supportive, super friendly and knowledgeable too!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Elaine,

It's so wonderful to hear that you are enjoying Melbourne to the fullest with exploring all the fantastic food, cafes, bars and more! We're so pleased to have been able to assist you making Australia a reality for you.

It's wonderful to also hear that you feel that you are able to apply your Hospitality major to your work experience here.

Keep us posted on how things go!! We always love to see photos!

Sarah
Hamline University

Adventure of a lifetime

I came to Australia to escape the brutal winters back home and make a little extra money. What I didn't know was that this would be the adventure of a lifetime! I've made amazing friends and seen so many beautiful places. I couldn't have done it without the help of alliance abroad. They made the process of working abroad so easy and offered so much support even after I arrived in AU. I'd recommend this trip to anyone who, like me, is a first time traveler.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Sarah,

We really appreciate your thoughts and feedback - Thank you!! We're so pleased to hear that you've adapted there so easily, smoothly and happily!! Great that you've made some awesome friends and judging from the photo: Tried some super fun activities and seen some amazing scenery!!

We're super happy for you and glad to have been able to support you in this exciting move here to Oz. Keep livin' your dreams Sarah!!

Cody
Colorado, mostly
Mesa State College

AAG: Just Do It

Working with AAG is a bit like kissing your girlfriend or boyfriend for the first time. At the beginning, you don't really know what you are doing, groping and hoping you'll grab on to something awesome. But, with a little practice and patience, both become so much more, and can really excite you in more ways than one.

I have participated in the AAG program for one year, doing 6 months first in Sydney, Australia as a Skywalker and my second 6 month placement in Cairns, working as a 'houseman' at Lizard Island.

Both job placements have been incredibly fun and interesting, at least so far. I have met some truly interesting and genuine people, and am still in touch with many of them.

I could go on about the program staff, who are really topnotch, Ash in particular is a spry fellow who gets things done, and has a personality of a jovial school girl with a lust for adventure.

Everything about the program is very well done, they don't hold your hand necessarily through all the steps, but they don't leave you blind either, which is the best way for someone to grow into their own abilities.

I have had a great time, and would absolutely recommend this program to anybody, especially if you have never worked abroad before. What are you waiting for? Sign up now!

Perhaps better support finding housing. Sending people a few links before they fly to Australia does not necessarily equate to having a place to stay when they arrive.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Cody,

Thanks for the detailed and thorough review! We really appreciate your comments and we've really enjoyed supporting you during your time in Australia! It was great meeting you and many of the other participants in Sydney and we really liked showing you around Melbourne too when you came to visit!

We think you'll really enjoy working in North Queensland - A big difference from Sydney but complementary for your full experience in Oz.

Haha! You feedback is really funny about Ash too - I'll remember to tell him that you've appreciated his help too. :) All the best and stay in touch!!

Immelie
Hamilton Island Australia

Time flies when you're having fun!

The working abroad program of AAG was absolutely a once in a lifetime experience! I made memories I would never forget. I loved my job at the Wild Life Park on Hamilton Island, a paradise island on earth! I cuddled with lots of Koalas and also with Dingo's. Besides working as a Food and Beverage attendant, they also let me help in the park sometimes. I loved this, it made my job very divers :)! On my days off I traveled the island and the mainland. I have been to awesome backpackers destinations like Airlie Beach and Cairns. I saw the pearls of australia: White heaven Beach & The Great Barrier Reef. After working for six month's I will definitely have enough money to travel the east and south coast of Australia! AAG made my dreams come true!

This program is amazing for personal development. One thing that could be better explained is that in my case (I am dutch) you are working mainly with an American organisation and not with a Dutch one. I didn't have any problems with this but in the beginning this was not clear to me.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Immelie,

Great to hear that things are going so well and that you are having such a GREAT experience!!

It's really wonderful to hear that you're adjusting well there and that your job is very diverse. It must be so awesome to be close to so many other amazing locations in the Great Barrier Reef, not to mention the fantastic weather AND saving lots of money to travel after!!

Sounds like you are having the time of your life and an experience to remember forever. I think we are all very jealous of you having such a cool job where you get to cuddle with adorable koalas and dingos - Please send more photos!

Mitchell
Melbourne Vic AU

Amazing support

The support i was given was amazing. They were understanding in many situations and were able to cater to my needs. Defiantly going above and beyond to find me a placement that was right for me. There was always fun events and get togethers that are planned for everyone to do and a staff thats very friendly.

I think it would be cool to have a shared house for the program people can move right into. Having a shared house gives options for more fun events.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

HI Mitch,

Thanks for the great review! We're really happy that you've found the program to be very supporting of what you're looking for and what you need. We're really happy to be able to place you with a great company in a fantastic city - Melbourne!

It's awesome to hear too that you're having fun at the events we've organized and that you enjoy meeting the other participants in the program. Looking forward to updates from you!

Trish

Australia is awesome

I've been in Melbourne for 4 months now are I'm truly loving it here. I have been enjoying the new experiences and city life. Made some really great friends and have grown a lot personally. The team has been enjoyable to work with and also a good listening ear when I had some family trouble back home. Auz is amazing, try on a new adventure, you might like the person you find at the end.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Trish,

Thanks so much for sharing your story and some insight about your time here in Melbourne. It's great to hear that you've found some great colleagues and friends here in Australia and that it has helped you to discover a lot about the country... and yourself!!

Hope to catch up with you soon again at our next program meetup event!

Maria

Amazing !!

It's been truly amazing so far ! At first, when I arrived I thought "ok where do I go, what do I do, what did I get myself into " etc but as soon as I got approached by a shuttle bus driver I knew at least where I was going. And from that moment all it went quite smoothly, got my RSA certificate, found a room in the city center, opened up a bank account and went to work all within 4 days in Sydney ! Sydney is AMAZING, incredibly multicultural, nice and friendly people from all backgrounds, great night life and of course the food to kill for ! It was hectic and stressful at first, settling in and all, but anyone can make it here in Sydney, that's for sure !

sorry I have a couple to comment on
housing - shared hostel with 5 guys is not the best option for a girl who just landed after a 12 hour flight. single room would be the best option, or at least one gender room
it'd be much nicer if there was a person who could meet the participant at the airport
working hours - i am not getting my average of 30 hours per week, for example this week I had 4 days off in a row...
otherwise all good :)

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Maria,

Thanks for your feedback! It's great that you're loving Sydney and enjoying trying all the food, meeting tons of people and explore such an iconic city!!

We have noted your feedback and acted it upon it already: We have checked in with the hostel to reaffirm about where and how to work with our participants and of course, we have already been in touch about the hours for your work. I understand that you've been really understanding and patient especially with the intense situation that happened when you arrived and I hope this doesn't dampen your experience!

I would love to see you again next time I go to Sydney but in the meantime, enjoy all the wonderful sunshine and maybe, we'll see you in Melbourne soon!

Jeremy
Salmon, Idaho
University of Idaho

Alliance abroad

My trip to Australia would have never been as amazing as it was without Alliance. I lived in the most amazing place in the world, made friends I'll have for the rest of my life, and learned so much about myself. Thank you alliance!

Being able to meet the coordinators in person

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hey Jeremy,

Totally awesome to hear about your amazing time in Australia! We're super happy for you that you made it here and that you've met some fantastic people. We're happy to be a part of it!

esra
Sydney NSW

3 weeks in Sydney

Hi ^^ my name is Esra from Turkey. Ive been in Sydney during 3 weeks. First weeks are a little bit hard for me because im only with myself and i have to do everythings myself. But hard days are gone i foubd a house and started working. Everything is getting better and better. Of course Alliance Abroad has always been with me . I always ask for help to Nina and Anita. Everything is much easier with their helps. And if you thinking about coming here but you are afraid. Dont think anymore . Even the worst thing you will come across in here, there will be amazing experience for you.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Esra,

Thanks for updating your review for us! We're so happy to have you recommend us!! It was great meeting you in Sydney and seeing you have such a great time in such a beautiful city. Sounds like you've learned a lot and now, you're enjoying work and things keep getting better and better.

Our team is really pleased to hear that things are working out for you - Thanks too for your advice for future travelers: You're right - Don't be afraid and come to Australia to get an amazing experience!

Take care and see you again soon - Come visit in Melbourne!!

Alyssa
University of Minnesota

Everything I Needed

AAG offered everything that I needed to start my life in Sydney. They helped make the transition smooth and simple, from setting up interviews to assisting me with getting a visa and tax return. Without them, I would have been totally lost.

It's a bit expensive.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hey Alyssa,

It was great meeting you and so happy to hear that you're enjoying Sydney! We're very happy for you and happy too to be a part of each step for you to make this dream a reality for you!

Thanks for your feedback as well and we have even more options now to make the trip more affordable. We take your feedback seriously and have now researched more possibilites to make the program more "doable" for as many people as possible.

Love the photos - Send more!

Alexandre
Melbourne, Australia

Great experience with a good staff support

Hi guys!! I couldn't find a job in melbourne(i arrived at the begining of winter) so i decided to participate to the AAG program and after 2 interviews I get a really good 6 month experience in one of the most prestigious hotel in Melbourne!! It's not easy everyday and I work long day shift but the things I learned here will help me all along my career!! I'm entirely satisfied with the experience and I recommand everybody to do it!! You are SURE to get a 6 month job in a good company!!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your honest comments, feedback and recommendation for us! We're really happy that we've provided you a great experience with our program. It's great to hear too that it will be beneficial to your career development and enable you to keep learning and applying your skills too! Keep us posted on how you do and you'll be getting more info and newsletters from us too - Enjoy Australia!!

Lance

Some food for thought

Why Australia? Why not Australia, I think I speak for heaps amount of people when I say Australia is on their bucket list. It's one of those places that people dream of either visiting or living. As for myself, I moved to Australia in the summer of 2014 (or winter of 2014 depending on which side of the world you're on). The reason for me moving here was actually a great unexpected surprise. A few months back I was living in Athens, Ohio, I dropped out of school and was working part time at a bar n grille joint on court street. Night after night, drinking my life away, I was stuck between a rock and a hard ( 148 hour style) and I seemed to be literary doing nothing with my life. With summer approaching fast I was moving back to Cleveland to live with my folks and had no clue what my future held for me. Upon waking up one morning, still drunk from the night before, I did what any person 12-40 years of age does first thing in the morning; checked every social media account I owned before stumbling out of bed. Opening up Facebook I saw I had a message from my mom, I opened it and what I found is what changed my life for the better. It was an ad for a cooking contest that was sponsored by AAG and if you won, you received an all expenses paid trip to Australia to work under a working holiday visa for a year. A working holiday visa is basically how it sounds you apply for a visa through the Australia government and after answering a couple questions, making sure you're not a criminal and 400 bucks later you are granted a working holiday visa. The contest rules were simple, cook a dish that represents Australia to you. See here's the thing, I've been working in kitchens for half my life so I can cook some fierce food that would make any mouth water. Therefore, after reading the rules and regulations I called up my good friend Tommy who owns a videography/photography company called GeniusFilms located in Cleveland, Ohio ( see what I did there, you're welcome Tom). I explained to him the whole situation and asked him if he could film me cooking a dish and he quickly agreed with a "hell yeah". Fast forward a few weeks later. Tommy and Greg (co-owner of the company) started to set up cameras and bright lights in his kitchen and man let me tell you I felt like I was on an episode of chopped, it felt pretty fricken incredible. At that point, my nerves started to set in and what's the best way to calm the nerves, that's right you guessed it, I shot gunned a couple beers . The meal I prepared was grilled Lamb chops over an Asian Coleslaw, you can check out my YouTube video if you'd like, just type in Lance Zacher and you'll see me wielding my main hand chopping weapon of cutlery. After filming the video I was on the road again on a 3 hour journey back to Athens. A few weeks later after Tom and Greg were done editing the video they sent it to me via email. I kid you not, the dead line for the video was April 30th at midnight, I uploaded and sent it in at 11:58pm, talk about to close for comfort. Fast forward 2 months. Thinking I lost the contest because I never received a phone call nor email I was back to not knowing what the hell I was going to do. One afternoon I receive a phone call from Austin, Texas, not knowing who it was I did what any good lass or chap does from the information generation, let that shit go to voice mail; before returning the call. Beep beep, beep beep, I look down and saw I had a new voice mail. Texas? I know absolutely no one from Texas I said to myself. I listen to my voicemail and the first words I hear were "Congratulations! Lance, you won the contest". YESSS!! I scream at the top of my lungs, my mom came barreling in the kitchen like a crazed wildebeest running from a lioness. I won the contest Ma, I'm moving to the land down under. Instantly I start playing Men At Work, who wouldn't.

In addition, AAG ultimately changed my life for the better. They are professional, very knowledgeable on the process of bringing you to Australia and they help you with each step along the way. Would I recommend AAG to others. You bet!

Thank you again AAG, without you guys none of this would have been possible.

I hope that this story inspires anyone who reads this. Life can be ruff sometimes and when you're at a low point you never think it'll get better. Well, I'm here to tell you that it does. Never give up and keep chugging (like "Thomas the train"...or beer which ever you prefer)

Cheers,
Lance

The only problem I had when I first arrived was receiving very little help with my living situation. This problem has since been fixed and they now has a great team to help you with your living situations.

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Thanks so much for sharing your story Lance! It's fantastic to hear about the experience now in Australia has given you a new perspective on life and changed you personally and professionally! It definitely is encouraging to hear about your perspective in giving things a try and being open-minded to see where traveling can take you - Sounds like you LOVE it here!!

Glad too that our program has been able to support you with each step in the transition here and that housing has been resolved too, especially with our housing coordinator on board to focus on that one specific piece.

Hope you continue to enjoy each aspect of Australia: Summer has only just begun!

Mollie
New York

Great Program

Alliance Abroad is a great program! They provide everything they say they do, as well as set you up with an individual counselor that makes any questions clear and goes above and beyond to make sure you on the path to have an amazing adventure! I got Rosemary, and she was beyond great in every step, even with my never ending questions! I got the perfect job in the perfect situation I wanted, all thanks to alliance abroad and Rose. I recommend this program to anyone looking to go to Australia, and definitely worth the money in all they do for you and your future career!

I can honestly say I would not change one thing wrong with this program. As long as you have the money ahead of time, every step is easy and exactly as explained!

Response from AAG - Alliance Abroad Group

Hi Mollie,

Great to hear that you're super happy with your job and location and sounds like you'll be coming at the perfect time for you too!

We're so glad to hear too that you have enjoyed Rose's support for you. She is a great asset to our team and we'll make sure to pass on your feedback!

Program Manager, Alliance Abroad - Australia

Alliance Abroad Group (AAG) has been the leader of international recruitment for over 20 years. Since 1992, AAG has successfully matched more than 100,000 international students with many of the world’s leading tourism and hospitality companies. AAG is in the business of connecting, enriching, and