Timberline Academy - Ski & Snowboard Instructor's Program

Timberline Academy - Ski & Snowboard Instructor's Program

The Instructor Internship Program is designed for someone looking to have a fun,team-based experience during their first ski season here in Banff. This program incorporates a wide range of ski/snowboard training, certifications and expeditions over an entire winter season in the Canadian Rockies. Students are also able to put their training to use while working as paid interns at ski schools in Banff throughout the winter season with colleagues from all over the world.

Additionally, we put a strong emphasis on independent and healthy living. As a result, our students are housed in fully furnished apartments and houses in the Banff town centre. We believe that our students should be able to cook, enjoy privacy and have a home while they’re with us here in Banff. No hostels and no hotels.

North America » Canada
Banff (Alberta)

Sam
London, England

Timberline Academy

I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my winter, or a better group of people to spend it with for that matter. James, Brett and Logan would always go out of their way to make sure everyone in the group was happy and everything was running smoothly. With countless day trips to other resorts and additional courses such as wilderness first aid and avalanche training, Timberline really helped me to get the most out of my time in Canada and without doubt, at the first opportunity i get, i'll be straight on a plane back.

Peter
Oxford, England

How you should spend your winter!!!

Deciding to go with timberline was a very easy choice. They help you all the way and make the transition to Canadian living seamless. Brett and James are awesome and super helpful. Had some of the best experiences of my life from skiing steep lines at kicking horse to skiing deep powder at panorama. The accommodation is spot on and I couldn't be happier with the service they have provided so happy I choose timberline
Cheers Boys!!!!

Honestly there's nothing I would change. :)

Marte
The Netherlands

Banff - the review:

If you're under 25, you need to come to Banff. Right now. The variety of things that Banff has to offer is beyond belief. From hiking to drinking and from skiing the SICKEST runs to realizing your garden is covered in deer droppings.

From day 1 I've felt at home in this town. It's surrounded by gorgeous mountains and filled with welcoming, kind people. It's dynamic and by all means alive.

When it comes to skiing, Banff's also fantastic. As someone who's only skied in Europe, the Rocky Mountains are a whole new world to me. They're rougher, far less crowded, snowier and more pristine. I've never done this many tree runs and ungroomed slopes before, but the groomers here are just as great. It's been heaps of fun so far!

Now that it's clear that you NEED to come to Banff, the question is how and my answer is Timberline.

There's several programs like Timberline available around here, and although I'm not saying they're not good, none of them are just quite like Timberline. Timberline Academy is the only program in Banff that's locally owned and operated (by the legendary James, Brett and Logan). From the first time I spoke to them, they've been super helpful with everything. Their help made moving to Banff possible for me. As opposed to some other programs out here, Timberline actually owns property in Banff, and thus this year's Timberline family lives in an awesome house just 30 seconds from the Ski bus stop, supermarket and Banff Avenue.
James, Brett and Logan are awesome at organizing the best ski/snowboard trips, hockey games, christmas dinners and if necessary.. hospital visits.
Their program has made this season in Banff the best it could possibly be for me. I'm incredibly grateful and overjoyed to be here.

11/10 would recommend.

Richard
Banff, Canada

Best Choice on the Market

In the Banff area I can name at least three other companies that offer similar opportunities to Timberline. I can, without a shadow of a doubt, say that none of them offer an experience quite like Timberlines.

What's stood out for me, is just how personal of an experience James, Brett and Logan have managed to make my gap year. From day one I've felt welcomed and looked after. Weather I've been needing help with sorting out my bank or just looking for the best coffee around Banff (both real examples I promise) James has pointed me in the right direction. That's not to say Logan and The Beez (formally known as Brett) haven't done the same. The Beez is always up for a game of Hockey and some cross country skiing with the Lads (and lasses) and I'll never forget the Christmas dinner Logan served up for us. Moose tastes absolutely amazing by the way.

What I'm trying to say is that Timberlines got heart, something the other companies in Banff lack. So thanks James, Brett and Logan for offering me the time of my life. Cheers.

Ben
Banff, Canada
University of Plymouth

Banff, Beezy and Backcountry

From the day I got into contact with James to register my interest on the course we were in constant contact, he was exceptionally helpful in preparing me for my trip to Canada; giving advice on the best insurance, ensuring I had the right equipment, etc. That's really the best thing about the Timberline programme in my eyes, how personal it is in comparison to similar programmes. Before leaving for Canada you've already had a few chats and Skype calls with the guys and by the time they meet you at the airport you already feel like you know them. After hanging out in Calgary and being shown around Banff for a week or so you realise that all the people involved with the programme are really nice, genuine and pretty funny. We've been settled in Banff for over 2 months now but we still see James and Brett (Beezy) all the time for activities/dinners/trips which is a world away from what our friends on similar programmes say about their contact with reps. In fact James and Beezy aren't really like reps, there more like friends who know the best places to eat/drink, take you on awesome trips and invite you over for Christmas dinner. All in all I'm really happy with the programme and I'd definitely recommend it if you want a guaranteed job, a home (as opposed to a hostel) for the season and a load of cool extra perks.

The Timberline Palace needs a hot tub

Merel
Banff, Alberta

The time of your life

If you have no idea what to do after high school, or what to study next and you want to see the world and explore than the timberline programme is a great opportunity to do that.

Do you love to ski or snowboard and is one week each year to short, take a gap year and travel to Canada where you can ski or snowboard for the whole season and get paid for it!

Why Timberline is different from all the other organisations;
They are far more involved so it makes it more personal. They are always there to help you and make sure you have the time of your life in Canada.
They do a lot more than just garantee you a job as a ski or snowboard instructor and arrange housing. They book trips to other ski resorts so you can see more of Canada. Also you can go ice skating, curling, go on a helicopter tour and so much more. It is not just skiing or snowboarding, they make sure you get the real canadian experience.

So if you like adventures, traveling the world and want to have the time of your life here in Canda I highly recomment the Timberline programme.
-Merel Tuk

Timberline Academy is a full-service outdoor adventure school offering unique Gap Year experiences in Banff National Park. Timberline clients engage in skills training programs related to ski/snowboard instruction, mountain rescue, wilderness first aid, avalanche safety and are able to earn industry certifications and university/college credits