Mandarin and Cultural Exchange Program in China (Up to CNY8,000 scholarship and Airfare)

COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Edu-Pal China has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily. Learn more about COVID-19 updates and sign up for email notifications to stay tuned regarding program information.

Chinese Mahjong
Chinese KTV
Visit Wenbo Palace
Visit Wenbo Palace
cultural event

Interested in Chinese language and culture? Want to learn Mandarin and know more about Chinese culture through immersion? Edu-Pal China is the best way to go!

Edu-Pal China is an international program that brings English speakers into a Chinese household, giving the host child there the opportunity to learn English through exposure while immersing participants in Chinese culture and the Mandarin language.

As an Edu-Pal, you will be treated as older sibling in the home, acting as a mentor to the child or children living with you. Room and board are completely free and authentic. While you teach the host family's children English, you will be given the choice to take free Mandarin classes as well (both Integrated Mandarin and Chinese Business Culture). The program includes city tours and national cultural travel alongside your fellow Edu-Pals.

What better way to get to know the real China?

• Provide visa invitation, insurance, monthly stipend, arrival package and flight compensation!
  • Traditional Chinese cultural activities, such as calligraphy, tea ceremonies and Kungfu!
  • Mandarin (Chinese) proficient progressing from zero to advance.
  • City tours and national travel.
  • You will feel supported. With several people here to help with any questions and inquiries you may have about your family, about China, about life!

EPC Virtual Events are now available! Check out the information here and sign up now!

Quarantine and chill! During the quarantine, you could still explore and take adventures along with us. From April 2020, Edu-Pal China will provide free online cultural courses and experiential cultural events via Zoom and Instagram live.

Julia

Short but inspiring and valuable experience in China

I'm so amazed by China!!! I love the food, culture, and people in here!

One of my best friends is a Chinese descendant, which makes me very eager to come. The program is a mix of all the things I like: being around with kids, new food, new place, and unique culture. I joined this program without hesitation.

I came to Tianjin, China at the end of December 2019. My host children are a 4-year old girl Tuantuan团团 and 10-month baby boy Yuanyuan圆圆. They are so adorable babies! Their names, TuanYuan团圆, means union and blessings in Chinese. As you can see, my first Chinese lesson starts from here :)

My situation is a bit special. I'm placed in north China in Tianjin while most other participants are in Shenzhen. The famous food in my city is Tianjin goubuli stuffed bun, or "Go Believe" stuffed bun. My favourite food in China! As the only Edu-Pal in Tianjin, I didn't get the chance to hang out with other participants. But I was never too bothered. My host family became my best friends in China.

My host mom Jessie is a very young and active lady in her early 30s. Besides my quality time with host children, helping them learn English and Spanish, I spend most of my time with Jessie. She has been a great host mom! She introduced me to her friends, recommended places worth visiting in the city and even taught me to use MoBike, the shared bike on the streets.

My time with kids was always great except for the ice-break stage in the first week. Tuantuan was very distant to me and wouldn't allow me to be around her. I was under great pressure and reached out to my facilitator, Luka. Luka taught me some good tricks to play with my children and kept following up my progress with children. The transition of our relationship happened one week after my arrival when I took Tuantuan in the garden for a "scavenger hunt". We looked for things in nature that are green, red, black and etc. I felt great joy when Tuantuan hugged me and said that she liked playing with me! I could feel the bond since that day.

As my first time to China, I can't expect a better experience than this. There were cultural differences but they never bothered me. One thing that didn't bother me but was very interesting is that they make really short-term plans. It happened that we had nothing in plan at one minute and then decided a pack-and-go trip right away. I adapted myself to be very flexible with plans and schedules. LOL!

My stay was interrupted by the outbreak of coronavirus. With my family and friends being very concerned, I had to leave China earlier than I planned to. I ended my program on Feb. 22th, 2 days before the Chinese New Year. I was so eager to experience the festival celebration with my Chinese family. Very sad to leave. Before my leave, Jessie gave me a red package, the Chinese New Year lucky money!!! I love everyone I met here in China. I definitely will come back again in the future!

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Chinese culture is so rich and unique. Be open-mined to learn their culture.
Julia

I'm Very Grateful for Everything

Things are very unusual recently. The pandemic has made our plan a lot more complicated than we expected.
I was matched up with a lovely family in January. The 6-year old is so active and smart. I feel very connected with the family and my host child. My arrival date should be in March. But unfortunately, it has to be postponed due to the outbreak of the virus.

I'm still very promising to come to China when the pandemic is over. Edu-Pal China has been offering me amazing online courses and events. As quarantine starts now in my city, the online events have been my best moment every week.

I enjoyed every experience I have with Edu-Pal China. Many thanks to Parry, who is always very considerate and patient for any questions I have. She keeps my updated about coming online events and checks how I like them. Many thanks to Sarah, who is very professional in her job and matched me up with a lovely family. And many thanks to other members with Edu-Pal China. I'm very looking forward to meeting you all in China when the pandemic is over!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would make quick decisions without hesitation.
When I received the visa documents, I should have taken actions immediately and applied for visa. There are many chances that we could almost make it to China but my delay has made it more compliated for the company. I sincerely appreciate everything they've done for me.
KC

Best Decision I Ever Made

I started out as an au pair with the intention of living in places such as Italy, Australia, etc. in order to broaden my horizons. When Sarah from Edu-Pal China reached out to me to join the program, I decided why not? I hadn't been to China before, knew nothing of its culture or the language that is spoken there, it would be an adventure! When I told my friends and family I was going to China, they were all extremely hesitant, telling me to be careful, that I wouldn't like the everyday life there, but it was just more reasons I wanted to go, to immerse myself in a place I wasn't comfortable in. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

From the moment I agreed to join Edu-Pals until even today (long after I left the program), I have had endless support from those working at the company, making sure that I settled into my host family well, that I was adjusting to the culture shock (yes, there are a lot of things that the Chinese do differently than western cultures, but I was never forced to do anything I didn't want to do, which made it more enjoyable to see the differences). As someone who has worked as an au pair in other countries, one of my favorite things about this program is its emphasis on the exchanging of cultures. Not only are there events that you and your family participate in learning about other countries as you teach English to your host kids, you also have access to Mandarin classes and events that help you become immersed in China's rich culture. In the nine months I was with the program (I was originally supposed to be there for just six months, but I extended my stay and would have stayed longer if not for a previous commitment), the other Edu-Pals and I participated in a traditional Chinese tea ceremony, learned how to dance in Hanfu, made various dishes and traveled to Chaozhou and Guilin, to name a few! You also have time to go do some exploring on your own, I was able to do some day trips to Guangzhou, Shanghai and Hong Kong with some of my friends!

The best part about this program though is the people I met. I will forever be grateful to my host family for taking me in and showing me their home country, to my host sisters who we've created a special bond, the members of Edu-Pal who still keep in contact with me (answering all my Mandarin questions I have, checking in on me), and the other Edu-Pals who I have only met a few months ago, but feel like I have known them for a lifetime. Edu-Pal China has given me lifelong friendships with crazy stories from China to reminisce about when we visit each other in each of our own little corner of the world, and I know they will give you the same opportunity as well. I highly recommend Edu-Pal China, I myself can't wait to go back and visit!

What was your funniest moment?
There are too many funny moments to count, from the crazy things my host kids did to saying the wrong words in Mandarin, but one of the most memorable events that had everyone in tears was my birthday party. For my birthday we all brought food that was native to each of our home countries, so we had things like black licorice, Jell-O, duck neck and Vegemite. From the Jell-O exploding everywhere to gagging over the black licorice to swallowing a whole spoonful of straight Vegemite, all while trying to sing Happy Birthday in four different languages, we had an absolute blast!
Kamila

Best days of my life

Coming to live in Shenzhen, China for 6 months was one of the best decisions in my life. It was the first time i visited Asia so i was very excited to experience a completly different life. Being a part of the Edu-Pal program enables you you learn chinese, to try traditional chinese activities like dancing or cooking and most importantly it makes you feel as if you were a real local. During the program i had the chance to meet amazing people and make friendships for a life time. I got to see beautiful places in China which were always only dreams and i could learn about a very different culture. Living with a chinese host family helps you understand all the traditions, practice the language and gives you a feeling of gaining a second home and family. While being here you will always feel welcome and Edu-Pal will make sure that these are the best days of your life.

My advice is to prepare yourself for a different culture and stay open minded. Being here is an amazing opportunity to try and learn new things. Sometimes things can seem as difficult but after opening to changes you can experience a great life here.
Luana

A wonderful experience

My adventure in Shenzhen started almost two months ago. It was my first time ever going to China so of course, I was really stressed and nervous the first days I was here. But very quickly it became the greatest adventure I ever lived!
Taking part in Edu-pal China is allowing me to experience so many new things.
I live in a very kind and welcoming Chinese family so I can see how is everyday life in China. I get to spend moments with the family as I was also a part of it and live really good moments with them.
Thanks to the program I have also the opportunity to take part in cultural events and trips in China, so I'm able to learn more about this country and to see the beautiful landscapes it has to offer! So far I was able to learn about Chinese cultural specificities and the Feng shui art. I also learned Chinese traditional dance and got a beautiful hanfu. And while I only have been here for less than two months I have already been able to visit a typical Hakka Village, to travel around the Guadong Province for China's national week and in the Guangzi region with the other edu-pals. I have amazing memories of all those stunning places.
Every week I also have the possibility to learn mandarin for free thanks to classes provided by Edu-pal program. The edu-pals spend a lot of time together here so I never felt alone since I meet them.
Overall I truly enjoy my time in China and I don't regret my decision to come here at all!

My advice to future travelers will be to not be afraid of cultural shock. Of course, there are probably a lot of differences with your country, but that's what makes China such an interesting country. Also, the Edu-pal staff is always here to support us and help us handle any issues we could have with cultural differences.
Islay

An amazing experience that I will never forget!

From being just a tourist 2 years ago, I never would have thought I would be back here in China, living with such a warm local family or meeting the most amazing people from all around the world, which are now friends for life! The Edu-Pal company has been outstanding with my stay so far, especially since this is my first time doing anything like this. The company is always there for you no matter what you need, from helping with family problems to adjusting to the culture shock, I really don’t think I could have done this type of experience without the company or the amazing people I’m sharing this experience with!!
By having culture classes every week, this has given me the chance to do things that I probably wouldn’t have done without the company! Weekly Mandarin classes has made living here even more exciting as you can try your Chinese skills out with the locals, and the people are always there to help you!
This really has been one of the best things I have decided to do, as I’m learning more about the culture day by day and meeting more and more amazing people as the time goes on. I couldn't recommend the company more!!!

To come with an open mind and to just embrace ever minute you are here, from being with your family and spending time with the other Edu-Pal to even walking around, just enjoy every minute!
Sara

The most enriching experience of my life

I arrived in Shenzhen exactly 2 months ago to take part in the EPC program. I was a bit nervous at first, since it was my first time ever in Asia and I didn’t know anyone here, but now I’m so glad I got on that plane! I was lucky enough to get along very well with my Chinese family from the start -sure, there are many cultural differences, but everytime we encountered a problem the EPC staff was quick to help us solve it. I completely fell in love with the country, the people, the traditions and the other people in the program will quickly become your second family! Every month we take part in different activities and trips around the country to explore and learn about the culture and history of China, but we also have enough time to go out and have fun with our friends -your Instagram profile will benefit big time! I’m so thankful for the opportunity to experience China in such an authentic and fun way -I couldn’t recommend the EPC program more!

What was your funniest moment?
Definitely our interactions in Chinese! The language course is great and you’ll feel confident enough to speak to locals pretty soon -but you can still get some words mixed up at times and end up saying “dumpling!” instead of “go straight!” to a taxi driver...
Elsa Gas

Amazing life in China

I chose to go to China, because of its major differences compared to the countries I'm used to. With differences I meant as in China's amazing food, incredibly humble people
and their language.

I was so welcomed from the very beginning! Even though the family and I had difficulties with the communication, we still got along so well and had so much fun. The best times were when the whole family was together for dinner, and we would talk and laugh. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I felt so great being together with this family and I had a lot of a family feeling from the Chinese family.

The staff in EPC were always very caring. From the beginning when I wasn't sure with my position in the family or the best way for me to get along with each and one of them, the team of Edu-Pal China, helped and supported me through those minor difficulties. I really enjoyed the times when the Edu-Pals and Sarah sat down and discussed what had occurred that week. It could vary from time to time, sometimes being that the host child told us something adorable, to how we could improve our English teaching skills.
We also had Mandarin classes which were genuinely interesting and I got to understand
why certain things in the language were like they were. And I love the cultural activies! We learn a lot about Chinese Tea Arts、Chinese Calligraphy and so on!

To those who feel like they want a big change in their lives, and of course loves being with kids, I would tell them to Join this program. I'm really happy that I did it and when I tell others about my experience in China, they all always become speechless.